Thread: Select reopens

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default Select reopens

Select have reopened after having closed for renovation for 3 or 4 months.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Quote Originally Posted by jagators63 View Post
    Hmmm. Wonder what changes they have made to the menu now...the last ones were not working for our group.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Good to hear... Worried it might not.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jagators63 View Post
    Hmmm. Wonder what changes they have made to the menu now...the last ones were not working for our group.

I have no idea about any changes for the menu ?? I just passing by this restaurant this morning on my way to work.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Select tonight.

Awful.

Undercooked char, over cooked tenderloin, forgettable appy and salad, a wrong meal and a server whos knowledge of cutlery placement is on par with Denny's.

$130, 4 course journey to unacceptable.
    www.decl.org

Used to be a favorite place of mine, something changed years ago (maybe new owners?? I dont recall) place and food went way downhill. I wont return.

I believe Packrat Louie bought it no?
    www.decl.org

Something like that... it was years ago that it happened, went back a few times after the change and was highly disappointed in service, food quality, and prices also seemed to go up despite everything else decreasing.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Select tonight.

Awful.

Undercooked char, over cooked tenderloin, forgettable appy and salad, a wrong meal and a server whos knowledge of cutlery placement is on par with Denny's.

$130, 4 course journey to unacceptable.

Abominable !

^ha, but seriously.
    www.decl.org

I used to be my favorite place in the 80's and 90's

It is so sad that in the past dozen years it went so downhill.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

^I wonder whether its declined, or we have all just got used to better standards over time? I'll never forget going to the Creperie once, and thinking I was stepping into the 1970s.

No, Cafe Select was very good, service was never rushed, professional staff, good selection and the staff treated you equally well if you came in ripped jeans or just came from the opera gala. It was open late and many people came there who worked in other restaurants to get a late dinner or just a glass of wine with friends.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    I believe Packrat Louie bought it no?
    Packrat does not have the same owners who gave it the good reputation it had. Now the owners have ruined two Edmonton institutions between Packrat and Select. Sad news indeed.

Select (post Cafe) was really good for a couple years back in like 2010. Then they went through some really long closures, renovations, it changed hands again, they lost their manager and some good staff. Sounds like it went to sh-t.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Packrat does not have the same owners who gave it the good reputation it had. Now the owners have ruined two Edmonton institutions between Packrat and Select. Sad news indeed.
    Back in the day Select and Praha were essentially the only places for late-night dining often both were packed, lineups out the door in the middle of winter.

The same owners who's food-poisoned Scallops at Packrat sent my beloved to the hospital, compounded with Ian's recent dining debacle we definately won't be going, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^I wonder whether its declined, or we have all just got used to better standards over time? I'll never forget going to the Creperie once, and thinking I was stepping into the 1970s.
    Not at all, this was simply awful and unacceptable.
    www.decl.org

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Coincidentally (?), Vue Weekly's Scott Lingley also reviewed Select in this week's issue: http://www.vueweekly.com/the-90s-nos...ntury-reality/

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    Coincidentally (?), Vue Weekly's Scott Lingley also reviewed Select in this week's issue: http://www.vueweekly.com/the-90s-nos...ntury-reality/
    Saw the picture. They put in hard floors and painted the beautiful wood decor white!!!????

Sacrilege!

I remember going to Cafe Select on the South Side on 109th and it had tile floors instead of carpet. Noisy, echoing and just cold. Not romantic, warm and cozy. The original's elegant interior, rich woods and darkened corners matched your glass of Merlot.

Just seeing the picture turns me off. I will never set foot in there again.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Whatever your reasons, you're saving yourself from serious disappointment due to food and service. Shame to see institutions run into the ground. It's not 1992 anymore, most Edmontonians have some standards now.