Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Traffic Circles in Edmonton

We have that odd inverted traffic circle at 87 AVE & Groat. Is there something like this elsewhere in the city?

Administrator *

^ Scona Rd and 95A Ave has a similar set up.

I'd rather C2E than work!

^ As did 60 Av / 61 Av / 113 St before the south LRT. I curse the loss of that one every time I have to stop at that light.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium48 View Post
    ^ As did 60 Av / 61 Av / 113 St before the south LRT. I curse the loss of that one every time I have to stop at that light.
    Traffic circles are more efficient. I was stuck at that intersection trying to turn left for 4 or 5 light changes. Cars backed up for blocks...

I avoid it like the plague.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    I love traffic circles and find them to be a blast. I can fly through the Bonnie Doon T/C at 60 kph and not slow down. I think that many people are scared of them because they don't understand them. They need more signage like some have.

Excellent sign! That's how I was taught to drive them. Simple.

I was astounded to learn that the right lane could go 3/4 of the was around and the left lane a 1/4. The circle at the zoo attracts the former all the time. It's just such a bad practice I don't know why people do it. And I've seen people do the latter a couple times too.

Then people use bad signalling, often signalling their intention way too late for it to be useful to other drivers entering the circle.

Simple common sense but people just aren't taught that a turn signal - is a signal.

eg On straight roads, people often signal after they start their lane change and continue well into to other lane, as if that does anything.
    I agree on the signal lights but I disagree on the signs - they are contrary to current law. This is where the confusion starts, signs on one traffic circle but not the others. There is no 1/4 or 3/4… taken direct from the current Alberta Driver’s Handbook… “Drivers entering the circular intersection must yield to drivers already in the circle. While in the circle, the driver on the right must yield to the driver on the left. Once in the circle, drivers must activate the right signal when preparing to exit. Do not change lanes in the circle.”

Quote Originally Posted by Lightjug View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    I love traffic circles and find them to be a blast. I can fly through the Bonnie Doon T/C at 60 kph and not slow down. I think that many people are scared of them because they don't understand them. They need more signage like some have.

Excellent sign! That's how I was taught to drive them. Simple.

I was astounded to learn that the right lane could go 3/4 of the was around and the left lane a 1/4. The circle at the zoo attracts the former all the time. It's just such a bad practice I don't know why people do it. And I've seen people do the latter a couple times too.

Then people use bad signalling, often signalling their intention way too late for it to be useful to other drivers entering the circle.

Simple common sense but people just aren't taught that a turn signal - is a signal.

eg On straight roads, people often signal after they start their lane change and continue well into to other lane, as if that does anything.
    I agree on the signal lights but I disagree on the signs - they are contrary to current law. This is where the confusion starts, signs on one traffic circle but not the others. There is no 1/4 or 3/4… taken direct from the current Alberta Driver’s Handbook… “Drivers entering the circular intersection must yield to drivers already in the circle. While in the circle, the driver on the right must yield to the driver on the left. Once in the circle, drivers must activate the right signal when preparing to exit. Do not change lanes in the circle.”
    Yeah I'd like to see signs on all traffic circles/roundabouts and the law changed to eliminate the 1/4-3/4 risk* (though I've never seen an accident occur as a result of it). The signs may not be totally accurate but are they "contrary to current law" or just incomplete? I think they would improve traffic flow.

As for accidents, the only accidents I can ever recall are mostly rear enders just like on on-ramps with yield signs.

* a car in the right lane, but slightly ahead of a car in the left lane cannot/maynot see a driver signalling to exit and may not be able to safely yield to an exiting car on the left. Thus the driver on the right "cuts off" a driver trying to exit. The exiting driver has to suddenly hit his/her/... brakes to safety exit.
    Last edited by KC; 22-12-2016 at 04:57 PM.

Trivia:

BBC - Autos - How Tube stations got their unusual names
    Excerpt:

This Tube station (and London landmark) doesn’t get its name from a long-forgotten fair, but rather from the alternate meaning of ‘circus’ to refer to a round junction where several streets meet.

http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20170...ilarious-names

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12