Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: South Common

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default South Common

The ever expanding South Common:

New Canadian Tire Retail, Service Centre and warehouse, Sport Chek and Atmosphere. This is a 2 storey building with mezzanine. 20,713 m; 2 storeys @ 2110 101 St NW

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post

New Canadian Tire Retail, Service Centre and warehouse, Sport Chek and Atmosphere. This is a 2 storey building with mezzanine. 20,713 m; 2 storeys @ 2110 101 St NW
    From the address, someplace in the highlighted area?

C2E Continued Contributor

Would be kind of nice if it was there. That part of South Common just seems a bit off, having the barren field there.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Canadian Tire? This complex keeps sucking more of the retail out of the area just north of it. However I do agree that it'll be nice to get rid of that barren field.
    Don't feed the trolls!

C2E SME

So I wonder if TARGET would be interested in setting up shop at the Canadian Tire location on Calgary Trail.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

I doubt they'll be closing the Calgary Trail Canadian Tire. It's still the closest Canadian Tire to Strathcona/the UofA, Southgate, etc. The new one will get traffic from south Millwoods, Century Park, Rutherford, etc.

C2E SME

Well either that one will close or the Mill Woods Town centre location will close. I can't see how those three locations would work.

I guess we'll see what survives. Windermere Canadian Tire is another one in close proximity. If Walmart can have Calgary Trail, South Edmonton Common, and Windermere locations, why can't Canadian Tire?

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post

From the address, someplace in the highlighted area?
    This is correct.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    I guess we'll see what survives. Windermere Canadian Tire is another one in close proximity. If Walmart can have Calgary Trail, South Edmonton Common, and Windermere locations, why can't Canadian Tire?
    And Canadian Tire could pull that off but one of the two on the southside will have to go because it would be too close to have locations at Calgary trail, South common and Mill Woods Town Centre. Windermere is actually far in comparison.

One day, SEC is going to be a mass graveyard of old big box stores. The format is dying .

I just heard a SEC radio commercial that mentioned Empire Theatres. There's a new theatre opening up there?

Edit: I must have heard wrong, as Empire closed all their theatres around here.
    Last edited by Gord Lacey; 29-11-2013 at 11:50 PM.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Quote Originally Posted by River Valley Green View Post
    One day, SEC is going to be a mass graveyard of old big box stores. The format is dying .
    Really? Because there aren't any malls being built anymore, only power centers.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post
    The format is changing though. The costco and wallmarts aren't going to go (perhaps get closer to home so you don't need to travel to an SEC) but I think outlets are going to morph more into the crossiron mills format where you can walk inside. Another thing on the horizon is boutique supermalls, like this Asian one proposed just north of Calgary (a Toronto, Markham format):

http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...872/story.html
    Last edited by moahunter; 30-11-2013 at 07:24 AM.

A large Asian mall would be great north of downtown west of 101 and south of 106 Ave. Reduced parking needs given it is so central.

A large Asian mall would be great north of downtown west of 101 and south of 106 Ave. Reduced parking needs given it is so central.
    Pacific rim redevelopment will be a good start for an asian mall.

C2E SME

While I'd love for you to be correct, the reality is that on Gateway northbound yesterday at 19th avenue around 2pm, traffic was backing up from so many people trying to go there. Looks like it's doing quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    While I'd love for you to be correct, the reality is that on Gateway northbound yesterday at 19th avenue around 2pm, traffic was backing up from so many people trying to go there. Looks like it's doing quite well.
    Made the mistake of going to IKEA one Saturday afternoon. My god is that district hell to drive through. The entrance off QE2 is just so bad made worse by people who do not know how to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by BalancedOP View Post
    Made the mistake of going to IKEA one Saturday afternoon. My god is that district hell to drive through. The entrance off QE2 is just so bad made worse by people who do not know how to drive.

Early or late are your best bets.. mid day on the weekend is a nightmare

I really wish the shops at SEC would replace the burnt out bulbs in their signs. Looks terrible.

^ contact the management co for the complex. its up to them to enforce standards.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

went to SEC on friday for black friday - crazy busy, some good deals really liked tha j crew factory store we really need one of those in vancouver

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post
    The format is changing though. The costco and wallmarts aren't going to go (perhaps get closer to home so you don't need to travel to an SEC) but I think outlets are going to morph more into the crossiron mills format where you can walk inside. Another thing on the horizon is boutique supermalls, like this Asian one proposed just north of Calgary (a Toronto, Markham format):

http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...872/story.html
    A lot of interesting comments on that Herald article

C2E Posting Power

I'm rather surprised canadian tire will be sticking a location there. The current Southpark centre (gateway) or millwoods store must be closing up shop eventually. That's way too many stores in one area of the city. If sport check is also coming there, I wouldn't be shocked if cad tire is pulling both out of Southpark.

That said, I long wondered why something never popped on that corner of SEC before. I guess it's a little secluded behind the overpass, but it still seems like an area that would get lots of notice.

Quote Originally Posted by halocore View Post
    I'm rather surprised canadian tire will be sticking a location there. The current Southpark centre (gateway) or millwoods store must be closing up shop eventually. That's way too many stores in one area of the city. If sport check is also coming there, I wouldn't be shocked if cad tire is pulling both out of Southpark.

That said, I long wondered why something never popped on that corner of SEC before. I guess it's a little secluded behind the overpass, but it still seems like an area that would get lots of notice.
    The Canadian Tire in town centre is always busy. Doubt theyd move from that location.

C2E SME

Well one of the two have to go, I would be shocked if they kept three locations within minutes of each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    Well one of the two have to go, I would be shocked if they kept three locations within minutes of each other.
    Once again, why not? Calgary Trail serves everything north to Whyte Ave, South Common will service the communities along Ellerslie road, Millwoods will continue to service the immediate area around it, and Windermere will service Terwilliger, Windermere, and Cameron Heights. There should be enough traffic for them all

Not sure what the population threshold for a Canadian Tire is but I know they want to put a second one in Sherwood Park (Emerald Hills) so I don't see why they would object to a third location on the south side.

C2E SME

Well we'll see, although if they try the 3 locations thing and one closes within the year I wouldn't at all be surprised.

i was wondering what was going up there when i was out there yesterday, seemed pretty big, well more than one story compared to the rest of the places

That's going to be a combined Canadian Tire/Marks/Sport Chek/Atmosphere.
    Don't feed the trolls!

C2E SME

So I wonder what will be going into the Marks, Sport Chek, Atmosphere and one of the Canadian Tire spaces when they move to this new complex and their former spaces are vacated?

I neglected to include this in here previously but Bed Bath & Beyond is expanding their Buy Buy Baby chain into Canada. They're currently building one beside their South Edmonton Common BB&B location. It apparently will be the first one in Canada.
    Last edited by ScottieA; 04-07-2014 at 09:27 AM.
    Don't feed the trolls!

This one is a replacement store for Calgary Trail location; also, the entire building is CT now, no Sport Check or Marks

Quote Originally Posted by boravr View Post
    This one is a replacement store for Calgary Trail location; also, the entire building is CT now, no Sport Check or Marks
    Wait... what?

Wouldn't surprise me if they open one of their "smart" stores.
    http://www.canadiangardencentre.ca/c.../view/1688/38/
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

I couldn't take a picture, since I was driving, but this development seems to coming along nicely. It looks like the concrete and frame are complete or near complete. This looks to be a very large complex, at least from the quick view I got turning the corner from Gateway onto 23 ave.

This will be CT's flagship store, two floors, massive sports/hunting department, etc.

C2E Posting Power

Part of me has wondered if the current Calgary trail store does indeed close to move over to South Common, rather than having both stores, if T&T would jump over to the current Canadian Tire location. In terms of size and parking, it's a way better location than the old Futureshop they're going into right now. And if memory serves, that location was a grocery store before Canadian Tire took it over.

Quote Originally Posted by halocore View Post
    Part of me has wondered if the current Calgary trail store does indeed close to move over to South Common, rather than having both stores, if T&T would jump over to the current Canadian Tire location. In terms of size and parking, it's a way better location than the old Futureshop they're going into right now. And if memory serves, that location was a grocery store before Canadian Tire took it over.
    Yes and yes. It was a Saveon as I recall.

^I recall it being a Food for Less which was a short-lived discount brand launched by Canada Safeway. Food for Less was intended to compete with Loblaw's Superstore brand but never really caught on.

I'm pretty sure that was the south side Food for Less. It was intended to compete with Superstore but there was no way it could. Safeway had unionized workers and a higher cost structure with all the locations they had. The Food for Less stores were the highest gross revenue stores for Safeway in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that was the south side Food for Less. It was intended to compete with Superstore but there was no way it could. Safeway had unionized workers and a higher cost structure with all the locations they had. The Food for Less stores were the highest gross revenue stores for Safeway in the city.
    Warehouse Discount Foods is what I think Food for Less competed with. And it wasn't Saveon...your right. But something else was in there just before Canadian Tire...just can't remember now. Ken C should would though.

C2E SME

A new development I came across this morning. I'm trying to picture where this will actually be located in South Common.

Cineplex introduces The Rec Room: Canada's Premier Social Entertainment Destination

C2E SME

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

I imagine attached to the south end of the current Theatre parking lot?

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Interesting

What was that arcade place in West Ed where the Wild West range and stuff is now? It was kind of cool for a bit. Bowling and billiards are OK at Red's, the rest of it (including bar and food) sucks.

Edit: when I was a wee lad, birthdays consisted of a trip to the Waterpark followed by food court eats and then pumping a year's worth of saved up quarters into the arcade next to McDonald's. Ahhh, the memories.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

The food at anything run by the mall is slop. Okay, not fair. But most of it is. And the stuff at Reds was the worst kind. Never improved at any point either. Service was just as bad. The south side is ripe for something like this though. I would check it out. I would love to see something similar at the downtown VIP theatre.

Thinking Playdium?

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    The food at anything run by the mall is slop. Okay, not fair. But most of it is. And the stuff at Reds was the worst kind. Never improved at any point either. Service was just as bad. The south side is ripe for something like this though. I would check it out. I would love to see something similar at the downtown VIP theatre.
    This would be nice overall but for sure a bowling alley in the core would be great to see.

The SEC location will be the first. Hopefully we get a second at the new VIP downtown. That would be awesome and make the district even more about entertainment. Pool, bowling, arcade and food and drink? Yes please. But driving all the way to SEC to enjoy kinda sucks.

The combined Canadian Tire/Sport Chek/Atmosphere project is coming along quite well. The thing is massive.
    Don't feed the trolls!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottieA View Post
    The combined Canadian Tire/Sport Chek/Atmosphere project is coming along quite well. The thing is massive.
    Interesting that Marks is not part of this. Or is it as well.

The Rec Room will be the nail in the coffin for the Gateway Entertainment Center. It's been a dump for years, this will likely put it under.

You mean Gateway Entertainment Center still exists ?

Top_Dawg recalls going there once back in the late 80s or early 90s.

Not long after it opened.

It was disappointing even then.

Top_Dawg can't believe it's still around.

Quote Originally Posted by BalancedOP View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottieA View Post
    Interesting that Marks is not part of this. Or is it as well.
    I think they're trying to keep Marks a separate entity. Windermere had one attahed to Canadian Tire, then two years later, closed it and opened a Marks on the other side of the shopping area. Not sure what the reasoning is...

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by blainehamilton View Post
    The Rec Room will be the nail in the coffin for the Gateway Entertainment Center. It's been a dump for years, this will likely put it under.
    And yet it remains very busy. It might put a dent in their numbers but it still remains to be seen if it will greatly affect business.

Quote Originally Posted by blainehamilton View Post
    And yet it remains very busy. It might put a dent in their numbers but it still remains to be seen if it will greatly affect business.
    Precisely, as luxury bowling and just bowling will attract very different demographics.

C2E SME

I was going to say, I went there on a Friday or Saturday night a few years ago for a friend's birthday, and the place was absolutely packed.

I was going to say, I went there on a Friday or Saturday night a few years ago for a friend's birthday, and the place was absolutely packed.
    Its basically the only bowling alley on the south side (other than Bonnie Doon) isn't it? I haven't been very often, I'm sure it deserves its reputation as a poorly managed dump, but I'm sure it will stay very busy after the new place opens.

Bonnie Doon Bowling Lanes.

What a step back in time.

Gateway (party facility with ten pin), and Bonnie Doon (five pin seniors bowling) are very different places. If this new facility holds ten pin with something more "adult" than Gateway Lanes, then I think it's a non-issue. Gateway is a weird place... and for someone younger I find it even a little disturbing going there. Id go to this South Common facility if there were places without teenagers. I want booze, burgers, bowling - and not "glow in the dark" bowling either - and no kids. If Metro Billiards Downtown had a bowing lane, or Denizen Hall (dance floor, arcade, billiards, live music, resto/bar) it would kill the southside.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

C2E SME

Well I know that the Bonnie Doon lanes are pretty busy too with not much for seniors but lots and lots of leagues including a youth league. The new facitlity being located right at the theater would most likely have accomdation for younger crowds.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    Gateway (party facility with ten pin), and Bonnie Doon (five pin seniors bowling) are very different places. If this new facility holds ten pin with something more "adult" than Gateway Lanes, then I think it's a non-issue. Gateway is a weird place... and for someone younger I find it even a little disturbing going there. Id go to this South Common facility if there were places without teenagers. I want booze, burgers, bowling - and not "glow in the dark" bowling either - and no kids. If Metro Billiards Downtown had a bowing lane, or Denizen Hall (dance floor, arcade, billiards, live music, resto/bar) it would kill the southside.
    I've always said that downtown could use a bowling alley. But a standalone business. Metro and Denizen don't have the space for one.

BTW I believe the bowling in Ed's/Reds at WEM is still open.
    You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea. - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^Sorry, I meant as a general concept for a joint to have those elements. Downtown does deserve a location like this, I agree. South Common does too deserve something more than Chuckie Cheese...
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

C2E SME

Hey maybe downtown can get a Chuckie Cheese too. The southside shouldn't get all the craziness.... I mean fun.

No children allowed downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    Its basically the only bowling alley on the south side (other than Bonnie Doon) isn't it? I haven't been very often, I'm sure it deserves its reputation as a poorly managed dump, but I'm sure it will stay very busy after the new place opens.
    I was at Gateway Entertainment Center three weeks ago for our staff Christmas party. On a cold Saturday night the place was packed.

And yes the place is very poorly managed. It took forever to get a drink at the bar. I asked the lone bartender if the place was always busy and he said, "I don't know, I've only been here for three weeks".

It must be very hard to find and keep staff at places like Gateway, Ed's/Red's, and the upcoming Rec Room.

Might not be so bad if these joints would adequately staff and pay these people.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

138626888-013
    06-May-2015
    2110 - 101 STREET NW
    Plan 9926072 Blk X
    2110 - 101 STREET NW
    Plan 1422338 Blk 8 Lot 11

To construct Exterior & Interior Alterations and Tenant Improvements to a Retail Store with Accessory Automotive and Equipment Repair Shop - CANADIAN TIRE SOUTH EDMONTON COMMON - Facade changes, CTC occupancy of tenant space, additional elevators and escalators, Garden Center canopies and overhangs.

MALLEN GOWING BERZINS ARCHIITECTURE INC.

138626888-006
    11-May-2015
    2110 - 101 STREET NW
    Plan 9926072 Blk X
    2110 - 101 STREET NW

To construct a CANOPY for gas bar pump islands, 4 dispensers - Canadian Tire.

EXP SERVICES INC.
    Last edited by sonicboom; 19-05-2015 at 11:39 AM.

It's a very sharp looking Canadian Tire as far as things like big box and Canadian Tire stores go.

C2E Posting Power

"Elevators and escalators?"

^ It's a 2 storey Canadian Tire...

The opening date is expected to be at the end of this month.

Quote Originally Posted by nosepass2 View Post
    The opening date is expected to be at the end of this month.
    May 28th, with Grand Opening scheduled for June 11th

Just visited the new Canadian Tire store! Very clean, lots of room, and its very berry berry big. There were a lot of cool and neat technology around the store. I tried their driving simulator.

My photos don't do justice and were taken with an iPhone.

This is the entrance...

-----
    The Canadian maple leaf was made out of hockey sticks.

-----
    The escalator with a cart escalator built in (like what Target had)

They can make it look as pretty as they want, but what they really need is staff. It often takes me 2 minutes to find what I'm looking for, and 20 minutes to get someone to take my money. That kind of experience forces me to ask myself "does Amazon have it?" before I make the trip.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I just got back from the Canadian Tire as well. Wow, it's nice. Chmilz, there was tons of staff there; I almost bumped into them a number of times.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

^probablt a corporate store, not privately owned like most.

oooo pretty!

C2E SME

I was there today and I was very impressed. Right now they have plenty of staff and very nice lay out. South Common is now becoming a very dangerous place for me to visit, now with Canadian Tire, Home Depot and Lowes by themselves can easily empty my wallet many times over.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    ^probablt a corporate store, not privately owned like most.
    Nope, it is owned by a franchisee
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

That's a pretty nice looking store.

I've been very impressed with CTC lately.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

C2E SME

I had to stop by again today and am still impressed. Great looking store. Only question I have is whether they plan on building a Can Tire service station near this building to replace the one that was torn down on Calgary Trail at Southpark.

I had to stop by again today and am still impressed. Great looking store. Only question I have is whether they plan on building a Can Tire service station near this building to replace the one that was torn down on Calgary Trail at Southpark.
    At this rate, you better hire a contractor to do work for you! You'll save money thst way!!!

C2E SME

you might be right. But I love tools and now that I have a workshop I have even better reason to have more tools, lol.

you might be right. But I love tools and now that I have a workshop I have even better reason to have more tools, lol.
    Man, do what you gotta do! All the power to ya!

138626888-005
    22-Jun-2015
    2110 - 101 STREET NW
    Plan 9926072 Blk X
    2110 - 101 STREET NW

To construct a gas bar C-STORE and Lube shop - Canadian Tire.

EXP SERVICES INC.

Job No 173206149-002
    Description: To construct a Major Amusement Establishment use building with Indoor Participant Recreation Service, Restaurant, Bars and Neighborhood Pub, and Spectator Entertainment Establishment uses.
    Plan 0022164 Blk 15 Lot 3
    Applicant: CORE ARCHITECTS INC.
    Create Date: 7/3/2015 4:03:19 PM

Cineplex redevelopment (posts #44 &45). Can't wait until that's done.
    Don't feed the trolls!

I wonder how that ^ will compare to whats being put in the arena district?

Does anyone know how and where they're going to attach it to cineplex? Both sides of the building has streets.

Will it be attached to the theater building? I was thinking they would just build it in the parking lot close to earls or something

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    I wonder how that ^ will compare to whats being put in the arena district?
    Similar I must imagine, although more family focus whereas downtown's is likely more boozy focus.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

They're attaching it to the south side of the building. Currently parking lot on that side. They're also redoing the entire exterior.

http://i.imgur.com/zh4XxFp.jpg
    Don't feed the trolls!

Is downtown getting a Rec Room too? Or just a VIP theatre?

I've been to several Cineplex, one in windermere and the other in cross iron. South common has by far the better design IMO. Theaters are straight left or right. My god, the one in cross iron mills is a narrow hallway to your theater. It was a mess I thought, but better design though.

173206149-006
    10-Nov-2015
    1525 - 99 STREET NW
    Plan 0022164 Blk 15 Lot 3

To construct a footing and foundation for a Major Amusement Establishment use building (The Rec Room)

CORE ARCHITECTS INC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast