Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: South Common

Quote Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
    173206149-006
    10-Nov-2015
    1525 - 99 STREET NW
    Plan 0022164 Blk 15 Lot 3

To construct a footing and foundation for a Major Amusement Establishment use building (The Rec Room)

CORE ARCHITECTS INC
    Oh for some reason, I thought this was going to be done on the Windermere location.

Couple shots from the weekend (Next to the Keg and Cineplex).

Last edited by Thisisnotmyuseridlol; 12-01-2016 at 11:19 AM.

What is this going to be?

C2E Continued Contributor

It's a Cineplex development called The Rec Room - multiple forms of entertainment, games, and food and beverage, I believe.
    Almost always open to debate...

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Maybe this:

Major Development Permit
    Job No 173206149-002: To construct a Major Amusement Establishment use building with Indoor Participant Recreation Service, Restaurant, Bars and Neighborhood Pub, and Spectator Entertainment Establishment use.
    1525 - 99 STREET NW Plan 0022164 Blk 15 Lot 3
    CORE ARCHITECTS INC.
    SOUTH EDMONTON COMMON

http://maps.edmonton.ca/map.aspx
    Last edited by Hilman; 12-01-2016 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottieA View Post
    They're attaching it to the south side of the building. Currently parking lot on that side. They're also redoing the entire exterior.

http://i.imgur.com/zh4XxFp.jpg
    Looks like it will be a standalone building.

^ Yes.
    Almost always open to debate...

Thanks. Hopefully Cineplex will step up their food game.

I'm expecting this Rec Room concept to have a very sterile corporate chain feel to it, and cost a lot for that brutal experience.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Tenders are out for a IKEA expansion.

Couple new buildings will be going up West of Superstore East of 98th street :

Building A:
    Burger's Priest (with a patio)
    Future restaurant

Building B:
    OPA
    QNails
    Popeyes Supplies
    H&R Block
    Future restaurant

C2E SME

^In their parking lot?
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    ^In their parking lot?
    Yeah looks like they'll be doing some demolition work (existing asphalt and concrete islands):

Default MEC adding second store in South Edmonton Common this fall

Popular outdoor store MEC announced Thursday it’s opening a second Edmonton store in South Edmonton Common this fall to serve the co-operative’s 200,000 members in the region.

The new 35,000-square-foot outlet will take over an existing space in the retail centre and will feature exercise clothing and technical gear for camping, climbing, paddlesports and snowsports, the chain, formerly known as Mountain Equipment Co-Op, said in a news release.

There will also be a full-service shop for bikes and skiing, equipment rentals and a community room for use by local outdoor clubs.
    http://edmontonjournal.com/business/...edmonton-store

"A store for the active individual, only accessible by car"
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E SME

Meh. Virtually every activity that MEC customers take part in is also only accessible by car, whether they are heading to the mountains, lakes, rivers or the ocean. I'm not surprised that they're looking for a second location. The one on 124th is full to the gills most days.

I'm guessing it's the location beside best buy where Sears furniture was? Or the old futureshop building?

FS or Sears would be good guesses, which space is about 35k sqft?

Quote Originally Posted by LoebsPeugot208 View Post
    FS or Sears would be good guesses, which space is about 35k sqft?
    I just read an article and it appears that it's the old Sears location.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2599097/me.../?sf23106591=1

Does anyone know when the Rec Room will open? Everything I could find says spring 2016, but that seems very unlikely.

I'd rather C2E than work!

I would say late fall 2016 the earliest, likely winter 2017.

Job No 219867428-001
    Description: To change the use from General Retail Stores to a Restaurant Use (Chipolte - 112.2sqm of Public Space) and to construct exterior alterations (Outdoor Patio and relocation of a front entrance)
    Plan 0922968 Blk 17 Lot 7A
    Applicant: CAMERON DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION
    Create Date: 4/19/2016 12:03:10 PM

That address is for the old Future Shop store. That is going to be one massive Chipotle.

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
    That address is for the old Future Shop store. That is going to be one massive Chipotle.
    1200 square feet is massive?
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Something is not right. Old future shop was like 20,000 sq feet.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    What's not right is people continuing to use Google Maps in lieu of the city's own maps to figure out what a given address corresponds to.

Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    What's not right is people continuing to use Google Maps in lieu of the city's own maps to figure out what a given address corresponds to.

What is 'not right' about it? 1320 99 street corresponds with the lot that Future Shop was on, on both Google Maps and the CoE website. It is the whole parcel, not just the building.
    There is an accessory building going up in the parking lot.

The lot is huge. Looking it up on the COE website would clue you in immediately that it doesn't just refer to the Future Shop building.

Here's the problem. If it was a new building on that lot wouldnt it be a different address. All the other buildings in the area have their own address. They are not suite numbers.

Here's the problem. If it was a new building on that lot wouldnt it be a different address. All the other buildings in the area have their own address. They are not suite numbers.
    Permits will use the COE mapping info, so you have to use their maps to get a proper picture. It's not ideal.

But between the size of the lot, and the size of the business included in the permit you could easily put two & two together.
    Last edited by noodle; 21-04-2016 at 02:49 PM.

For zoning purposes, it is on the same lot/address, as shown on the the City website, which is why it shows up with the same address on the permit. Why the developer numbers the buildings with individual addresses, as opposed to suites, I don't know.

To change the use from General Retail Stores to a Restaurant Use (Chipolte - 112.2sqm of Public Space) and to construct exterior alterations (Outdoor Patio and relocation of a front entrance)

Doesn't this wording seem to suggest that it is a currently standing building not a new building.

To change the use from General Retail Stores to a Restaurant Use (Chipolte - 112.2sqm of Public Space) and to construct exterior alterations (Outdoor Patio and relocation of a front entrance)

Doesn't this wording seem to suggest that it is a currently standing building not a new building.
    It indicates they're changing the zoning of 112.2sqm of an existing building somewhere on that lot to allow for a restaurant.

112.2 sqm is 1200 sq ft.

There is only one building on that lot.

But that is OK. I just made a comment that I thought was pretty funny. I didn't want to get into a great debate about nothing.

There is a separate permit for the new building, which originally listed the use for the new building as General Retail. This permit changes that use.
    All of this info is available on the city website, it's a great resource for questions like this.

Thanks Kevin for the clarity.

It all just started and a funny about the Future Shop being a really big store for a Chipotle.

Is the permit on hold? Where can I find this info on the CoE site? This is cool!

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post

What is 'not right' about it? 1320 99 street corresponds with the lot that Future Shop was on, on both Google Maps and the CoE website. It is the whole parcel, not just the building.
    There is an accessory building going up in the parking lot.
    At only 1200 sq.ft., maybe this 'Chipotle' is going to be a standalone building similar to the old Outback Steakhouse (it's a sushi place now) in the parking lot of the Edmonton Home Centre on Calgary Trail, leaving the old Future Shop premises to be revamped for another large scale tenant at some point.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

I was told by my friend awhile back (who used to work at BB) that BB would relocate to the FS eventually. Can't say for sure though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
    Is the permit on hold? Where can I find this info on the CoE site? This is cool!
    Http://maps.edmonton.ca
    You can enter an address and get a ton of information about it, including any development applications that have been submitted. It's very handy.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Perhaps Sportchek will make the big move one day!

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by szopz View Post
    Big move? From where? Are you suggesting that they are a small mom/pop org and want to aggressively "expand and get bigger?" Or are you suggesting they move from their adequate Southpark location which appear to suit their needs just fine?

Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by szopz View Post
    Big move? From where? Are you suggesting that they are a small mom/pop org and want to aggressively "expand and get bigger?" Or are you suggesting they move from their adequate Southpark location which appear to suit their needs just fine?
    Move from the South Park location. They could move into the designer depot location in South Common and be next to atmosphere. Looking at how the West Edmonton Mall store, the technology and the way they merchandise much different than the Southpark location.

It was just a thought.

Job No 219678570-002
    Description: To construct exterior alterations to an existing General Retail Stores Use building. (SPORTCHEK)
    Plan 0922968 Blk 17 Lot 7A
    Applicant: NEOTERIC ARCHITECTURE
    Create Date: 5/3/2016 3:38:10 PM

C2E SME

So I'm curious how much they will design this new location to be similar to the WEM store?

Default Saks OFF 5TH

"Debuting in Edmonton at one of the largest open-air retail developments in North America, Saks OFF 5TH will be introduced to the city's shoppers in September 2016 at South Edmonton Common. Situated at 1978 99 St. NW, in one of the city's highest traffic locations, the 31,900 square foot store will be a fashion-value destination for residents and visitors alike. South Edmonton Commons is owned and operated by Cameron Development Group."

That address appears to the the Old Navy location near Lazy Boy...per Google maps: https://www.google.ca/maps/place/197...4d-113.4868813

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases...578775531.html

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

^ Very interesting... any idea what is happening to Old Navy? Closing down or moving into a bigger space?

http://edmontonjournal.com/business/...h-outlet-store

This article about the new Saks off 5th was in today's Edmonton Journal. It's opening in September. If they can get a Saks open so quickly, why is Chipotle not opening until 2017?!

Updated site plan shows some new additions along with Chipotle such as Via Cibo, Chachi's and Panda Express.

Courtesy of Thisisnotmyuseridlol from a different thread:
    http://www.camdevcorp.com/wp-content...-Site-Plan.pdf

219826892-001
    01-Jun-2016
    1624 - 99 STREET NW
    Plan 0323868 Blk 17 Lot 5

To construct interior alterations to an existing retail store - Saks off Fifth Avenue.

CORE ARCHITECTS INC.

There has been lots of construction happening at South Edmonton Common lately. Anyone have any updates? Any idea as to when the Rec Room will open?

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

The sign for Rec Roon has been put up along Gateway Blvd.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Yes, I noticed that. The sign says coming soon 2016. I also noticed that there are two buildings that are currently being framed in the Superstore parking lot. Anyone know what those will be?

Yes, I noticed that. The sign says coming soon 2016. I also noticed that there are two buildings that are currently being framed in the Superstore parking lot. Anyone know what those will be?
    Check post #111.

Quote Originally Posted by nosepass2 View Post
    Check post #111.
    Ok cool. I was just wondering if the "future restaurants" had been confirmed yet.

Great video on the Rec Room! It looks like it will be opening by the end of August. I'm super pumped to hear that they will have bowling! I'm hoping this will be like a cross between a Lucky Strike Lanes and a Dave & Busters. When I lived in California I went to both often.

http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/new-cineplex-entertainment-project-coming-to-edmonton-1.2974361

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    "A store for the active individual, only accessible by car"
    What makes you think it has to be only personal vehicles that can enter there. You must have seen people on transit there; i have also seen people biked there. People have choices of transportation. Even active folks have to use vehicles when they purchase big bulky products. There is a central location and the majority arrived by vehicles as well. Being active is not a requirement 24/7. Furthermore, not everyone entering that store is active; some enter there to buy camping supplies. Very narrow thought here!

An update to the exterior design, as posted on CTVnews.

http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/new-cinep...nton-1.2974361

From the video, they have a lot to get done in only 5ish weeks.

Job No 225415914-001
    Description: To install (2) Fascia On-premises Signs and to install (4) Replacement Panels on (2) Existing Freestanding Signs (Saks Fifth Avenue Off Fifth).
    Plan 0323868 Blk 17 Lot 5
    Applicant: JONES NEON DISPLAYS LTD
    Create Date: 7/6/2016 8:42:18 AM

The buildings in the superstore parking lot are progressing nicely. The chipotle is coming along as well, it's not quite as far along, but the steel frame and roof is up. I wonder what the timeline is on these projects? Next time I'll post some photos.

C2E SME

I think these buildings will get done pretty quick. I think I'm just a bit surprised that the space between Canadian Tire and Harveys has remained empty so far. I would have thought that it would be a great location another restaurant.

The MEC is huge - I wonder if they are adding a mezzanine floor?

C2E SME

^This place could potentially look amazing.

226179645-001
    02-Aug-2016
    1403 - 99 STREET NW
    Plan 9926548 Blk 15 Lot 1

To construct interior alterations to an existing retail space - Levi's.

JOHN E. GUSTAVSON ARCHITECT

^Nordstrom Rack is their bargain bin dump. I've been to a few in the US. Nothing remarkable except the branding. But suitable for a parking mall.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Umm, actually I lived next to an outlet mall in Southern California that had a Nordstrom Rack and it was awesome and very popular. So I disagree.

C2E SME

Been to both types of Nordstroms and/or Sak's in the US (NY/Chi). No question that the Rack version is a bit downmarket. But it was still better than pretty much anything we have in Edmonton or Alberta.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    ^Nordstrom Rack is their bargain bin dump. I've been to a few in the US. Nothing remarkable except the branding. But suitable for a parking mall.
    Agree with that and same with Saks 5th... its like a Polo line of clothing from the 60's. We will get a full Saks when the Bay decides to convert and renovate its downtown store at CC. I doubt Norstroms will ever go into Southgate where Sears is - just not the physical situation they like - unless Saks was in the Bay Southgate location was well to provide synergy. Strategically - Saks is better opening at CC in my opinion...keeps Nordstrom's out.

C2E SME

Well it's another retailer so I'm glad, but I would like to see a full fledged Nordstrom's. Preferably though I would like to see the higher end stores move into the downtown core, how about a nice anchor Nordstrom in the podium of a tower built on the current site of Baccarat.

C2E Posting Power

Well it's another retailer so I'm glad, but I would like to see a full fledged Nordstrom's. Preferably though I would like to see the higher end stores move into the downtown core, how about a nice anchor Nordstrom in the podium of a tower built on the current site of Baccarat.
    Overrated store Paul.....just go to the flagship store in DT Seattle if you feel like spending 300 bucks on a tie.

Job No 228593886-001
    Description: To change the use of a General Retail Store to a Specialty Food Service and to construct interior alterations
    Plan 0226204 Blk 7 Lot 6
    Applicant: CHATIME
    Create Date: 8/18/2016 3:49:37 PM

I went to the Nordstrom in Vancouver back in May, and other than the ultra modern design, it really was nothing special. It was just like a Holt Renfrew, and the brands they carried were almost identical.
    Edmonton is a very exciting place to be right now.

The new construction near the MEC is progressing nicely. I believe this will be the Chipotle and Panda Express. I took some photos, but I'm not sure how to post them here. It looks like they need a url, tips anyone?
    Last edited by Sunny; 20-08-2016 at 01:58 PM.

The new construction near the MEC is progressing nicely. I believe this will be the Chipotle and Panda Express. I took some photos, but I'm not sure how to post them here. It looks like they need a url, tips anyone?
    You can use this site to upload your photos then just copy and paste the link

https://postimage.org/

Thanks man.

Thanks! Here are the pics.

I was just looking on Cameron Development's site, and their new site plan doesn't have the Chipotle logo anymore. Are we not getting one anymore?

Couple shots from the other night:

C2E SME

The buildings are definitely coming along. I noticed that when I was in SEC yesterday.

I was just looking on Cameron Development's site, and their new site plan doesn't have the Chipotle logo anymore. Are we not getting one anymore?
    One of Cameron's executives said in a private converastion that Chipotle is out due to their recent controversy/food safety crisis in the States

Aw, this is so disappointing. I wonder if they will still come to Edmonton, just not at South Edmonton Common or if this is it.

A little read on their troubles. Not pretty.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ting-impatient

Other than chasing after another American brand, there's not much to miss - it's just another fast-Mexi outlet: line up with your tray like at a Subway, tell the worker what to put on your taco/burrito, then sit at hose-down-able tables and benches to eat.

C2E Posting Power

Other than chasing after another American brand, there's not much to miss - it's just another fast-Mexi outlet: line up with your tray like at a Subway, tell the worker what to put on your taco/burrito, then sit at hose-down-able tables and benches to eat.
    Big fan...never miss it...need my fix 4X yearly at least. We have nothing like this in this city. Meats braised, cooked and prepared on site...rather than "foam" chicken, fake bacon microwaved etc. Food quality is 100X than subway. Their Barbacoa is out of this world....

Meats braised, cooked and prepared on site...
    That is rather at odds with http://www.bloomberg.com/features/20...safety-crisis/ though:

Commissaries have been preparing a portion of Chipotle’s meat from the early days. It was never practical or efficient to braise meat in Chipotle’s small kitchens. The barbacoa and carnitas are vacuum-packed and cooked sous vide, in a temperature-regulated bath. Then they’re sent to regional distribution centers and on to the restaurants.

They're excellent marketers though. Hopefully their supply-chain quality-control catches up.

Meats braised, cooked and prepared on site...
    That is rather at odds with http://www.bloomberg.com/features/20...safety-crisis/ though:

Commissaries have been preparing a portion of Chipotle’s meat from the early days. It was never practical or efficient to braise meat in Chipotle’s small kitchens. The barbacoa and carnitas are vacuum-packed and cooked sous vide, in a temperature-regulated bath. Then they’re sent to regional distribution centers and on to the restaurants.

They're excellent marketers though. Hopefully their supply-chain quality-control catches up.
    I get your jab about their recent food quality issues, but that's totally not true that they are excellent marketers. Chipotle is well known for not spending anything on advertising. Unlike McDonalds, they have had the same menu for the last 20 years, and they don't run commercials. Up until recently they were well known for their excellent food quality, with most ingredients being either organic or locally sourced. As I understand it, their food safety issues weren't a result of a poor supply chain but were an unfortunate side effect of them preparing all of the food in-restaurant. The food wan't pre-made in a commercial kitchen the way most restaurant chains operate these days which unfortunately resulted in less quality control in some instances. I'm still a huge fan having lived in Southern California where I was a Chipotle regular. I'm confident the brand will figure out a way to regain it's food safety reputation. But I'm definitely disappointed that we won't be getting one in South Common anymore.

I ate at them in LA too for a couple winters. A noble concept, tricky to balance centralized vs in-store handling and quality control. I'd still suggest reading the Bloomberg article because it contradicts your understandings. Those quality issues have been ongoing and significant since 2008 and if they're (still) the reason not to open here they haven't been solved yet. There are ony 3 stores in Canada so that makes their move to centralizing some functions (beef and pork pre-prep from the old days, now pre-shredding of cheese and pre-chopping of tomatoes, cilantro and anything else that can be tested and done centrally) extra tough.

Did not realize how big this would be - definitely did not seem that big driving by it. CTV did a tour of the Rec Room, has some huge spaces in there

http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/video?cli...ylistPageNum=1

The Rec Room finally opens on Monday!

230404469-001
    20-Oct-2016
    9711 - 23 AVENUE NW
    Plan 0020087 Blk 6 Lot 3

To Construct an interior alteration to BUILDING "A" existing CRU. (Tenant fit-up for Burger's Priest)

THE FIRST 10 WORDS INC, MEAGHAN

231282656-001
    20-Oct-2016
    9703 - 19 AVENUE NW
    Plan 0022164 Blk 15 Lot 2

To construct interior alterations to an existing retail shop - SEPHORA STORE.

ELDER-JONES, TIM SCHENK

176287869-009
    20-Oct-2016
    9711 - 23 AVENUE NW
    Plan 0020087 Blk 6 Lot 3

To construct interior alterations in an existing shell CRU space. Opa Restaurant.

BUDAL CONSTRUCTION, (P&G & HVAC)

Haven't been to 'The Rec Room', but it sounds like it has been a big success for Cineplex as will be opening a 2nd location in WEM. Only city in Canada that will have two locations.

C2E SME

Went there once to check it out, I like it.

We liked the Rec Room but were disappointed in the lack of specials in the bar and restaurant. No daily meal specials either in something being offered different than the regular menu or a lesser price. We asked if they had a Happy Hour and waitress said nope. The rest of the place was a buzz of activity and we don't play games like that, hell we would not know how. On our way out they were refusing entry to people that were under 18 unless escorted by someone 21 and over. Maybe I heard that wrong??

re chipotle, its weird that they they are claiming the us problems for canceling the edmonton store cause they are opening a 4th vancouver area location in fall 2016. It will be in park royal north in west van.

I ate at them in LA too for a couple winters. A noble concept, tricky to balance centralized vs in-store handling and quality control. I'd still suggest reading the Bloomberg article because it contradicts your understandings. Those quality issues have been ongoing and significant since 2008 and if they're (still) the reason not to open here they haven't been solved yet. There are ony 3 stores in Canada so that makes their move to centralizing some functions (beef and pork pre-prep from the old days, now pre-shredding of cheese and pre-chopping of tomatoes, cilantro and anything else that can be tested and done centrally) extra tough.
    vancouver area alone has 3, with a 4th opening soon, the toronto area has 10 locations, not sure where else in canada they might be.

I'm still hoping that they will open one in Edmonton this year!

My bet is this is entirely a franchisee issue. Their stores in the USA have struggled with negative same store sales growth, food safety issues, and a menu that hasn't been updated in a decade. Perhaps the franchisee thought better and decided not to risk it.

C2E Posting Power

My bet is this is entirely a franchisee issue. Their stores in the USA have struggled with negative same store sales growth, food safety issues, and a menu that hasn't been updated in a decade. Perhaps the franchisee thought better and decided not to risk it.
    You sure they're franchised? I'm leaning towards logistics. Let's say they either corporate or the franchisee runs 1 each here and Cal...to get Sysco to carry their grocery "line-up", get the processed food out of a central kitchen, hire lazy and idiotic "Alberta advantage" laborers......maybe it wasn't feasible until half a dozen stores opened? Btw, they've experienced exponential growth since they bought their freedom from McDonalds, only recently have same store sales declined.....but they are on the rebound.....400 buck a share price means they'll be around a long time....they just added "Chorizo" to their menu.....had it in a burrito....blow your mind kind of grub.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast