Thread: To make way for student housing, historic Garneau homes...

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default To make way for student housing, historic Garneau homes...

EDMONTON - Nestled among the trees at the east side of the University of Alberta campus on Saskatchewan Drive sit a group of homes built in the 1920s that are free for the taking as the U of A makes room for a residence for the Peter Lougheed Leadership College.

Five houses in various historic architectural styles, formerly homes to some prominent citizens, can essentially be had for the price of moving costs, said Doug Dawson, executive director of U of A ancillary services, who is looking for “expressions of interest” in the homes.

If there are no takers for the houses north of 90th Avenue, all but one will be torn down to make way for the residence for 144 students who will attend the leadership college announced last fall. One house, occupied by the Parkland Institute, will be preserved elsewhere on campus.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...404/story.html
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Sigh. We always loose our history for "progression"
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

^ that is the whole point of giving these away...
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    ^ that is the whole point of giving these away...
    I understand that. I hope someone steps up to the plate to save these.
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Could be a project for Fort Edmonton Park to take on.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Someone should put the gears to John Day to move the houses to his 121 development.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Move them to the new Blatchford neighborhood!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^??....

I'd rather C2E than work!

It would be nice to see what the new building is supposed to look like. All we have is a plan view drawn with pencil crayons by a Grade 7 student.

^ eyeroll...

There is a reason why there are only conceptual sketches out and about...

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

So why not build all the student housing you want on that big chunk of open land called South Campus and leave our old neighbourhoods be. Time for this cherade to end in this city. This is my home town and in my lifetime I have seen half of my original city razed. Will no one ever put a stop to it?

^ the uni owns the land..... should we get into a debate about land owner rights?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

So if someone rich enough bought all of Edmonton and pushed it into a pile and burned it so they could graze buffalo on the land this would be ok with you?

A balance is needed.
    www.decl.org

Well..

A) first it all would have to be rezoned to Agri use - which is unlikely
    B) your example is absurd

The Uni owns the land... the land is zoned for the intended use or the university act allows for it to do what is proposed..... everything dies even awesome things and people.

The uni is offering these houses for Free.... short of paying people to take them I think the Uni is going above and beyond.

The Leadership center should be at the main campus.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 13-01-2014 at 03:26 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I just feel sad about it because I have seen too much go in my 58 years. I hope to God they never get to old Strathcona. The north side could have activity like Whyte Ave but most of the people places were torn down. A lot by the city too. Oh well, I'm just getting old and sentimental. Sorry I lost it for a minute there.

A) I doubt teh city would ever allow for land speculators to clear large swaths of land like was doin in the booms of the 60's 70's.

b) Part of the reason why Whyte is so successful is because Old stuff was torn down and infill small apartments were put in. Also new development on whyte has been just as important to the development of that street as existing. Old gas stations gone, old banks gone, old garages gone.

We are not a city of 223,000 like we were 58 years ago. with over a tripling of our size I should hope you have seen a number of things torn down.. and replaced.

I am not meaning to be an ***.. just trying to open up the topic a bit. Heritage is important to protect and a balance is needed as Ion pointed out.

This space is greatly underused, and I like what they've done with the recent residences in the area, and would expect the same or better quality/street presence. It's better to have these homes potentially in the hands of private owners and not the university for the sake of upkeep and upgrades and keeping heritage alive. As far as I'm concerned the University has butchered a lot of their older buildings on the inside.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

The University also thought tearing down Rutherford House was a good idea as well.

^ Overall is the university bad or good for the city?

I am sure the university then matched the attitude of the day.... the university of now took a DT Jem that sat empty for years and made use of it. The university of today has become a very STRONG civil partner.

so lets not get too hung up in the NEP.. er I mean university of the past.

Clearly the attitude of the University didn't match the attitude of the day as enough pressure was placed on them to reverse their decision.

All the residents of Garneau between 110 street and 112 street between 87 ave and Saskatchewan Drive were forced out of their homes (including these) by the university, who, using an act of expropriation, gave residents below market value and 6 months to relocate.

Edmonton has precious little heritage left intact. This little cluster of homes is unique in both it's layout and setting to the city. It's a shame to have this lost.

Partially Addicted to C2E

The university should not waste its resources on another white elephant like this very poorly conceived legacy project. Big mistake.

ya i can see how this will play out.... I have to ask.. if I say NEP does fire come out of your ears?

Its done man... the Rutherford house WASN'T torn down. Cities and universities have the ability to Anex for a number of reasons. People were "forced" out of their homes for the Metro LRT line..... was that bad?

Things die. Its part of life. cant save everything and sometimes that sucks... but it happens.

^As long as this project isn't what many had talked about months ago and around campus as an "interesting use of dollars"... I just wish we knew what this project really had in store for Edmonton and the area. There are three really nice homes there from the 20's, but the University has had this land for quite some time, and without context to an actual historical reason, I'm not on any boat yet for preservation. The brick styling on one of them might be warranted for investigation of that time, that coarse brick exterior that only a handful of Edmonton homes have...

Why if this is funded through donations and alumni support as I understand it largely to be.... Why do we have to know anything?!

The "Royal We" might be those involved with the University.

www.decl.org

It's disappointing the U of A can't take a more active role in preserving these homes. From looking at the Journal photos, it doesn't appear they have been well maintained. Oh wait, it's expensive to preserve and maintain heritage buildings and the U of A has a cash crunch right now. And so the Leadership College project is moving forward with a new building because...? http://metronews.ca/news/edmonton/84...-student-body/

^ i thought the U of a was a University... i guess it is also supposed to be a museum?

We all have a responsibility to preserve our heritage.

^ eye roll....

then we can all hold hands and sing campfire songs and end world strife.

Sarcasm aside and I don't mean to be insulting. I am Mr 'Idealist" but no we do not all play a roll in preserving history. I do not expect ANY organization to compromise their economic viability or global competitiveness in order to save half a dozen old houses. Its unrealistic.

Things die because death is change and change... is unstoppable.

It's maybe 2 wooden homes, and one brick one. Walked by them again today, and they are indeed in a sad state. The property is owned by the UofA, they are giving them away, so the offer to preserve history is on the table for all.

Regretting the removal of old-time commercial strips for bland phallic symbols is one thing.

Waxing sentimental over run-down single-family homes in which no family has lived for decades is quite another.

The mid-density residences the U's been putting in North Garneau are the epitome of what core urban residential areas should look like.

Let them rip!!

And good on the U of A for offering them for free for preservation, reuse and supplying the names of people who are capable of best doing this.

C2E Super Addict

And good on the U of A for offering them for free for preservation, reuse and supplying the names of people who are capable of best doing this.
    As opposed to having to pay to have them demolished and having the remaining crap hauled away?...Yeah, very altruistic.
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

They are going. either by truck or wrecking ball...

really expat.. you used to be much more effective before you started posting sarcastic little one shots on every thread. Less is more bud!

C2E Super Addict

They are going. either by truck or wrecking ball...

really expat.. you used to be much more effectivebefore you started posting sarcastic little one shots on every thread. Less is more bud!

Oh the irony!
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

^ I never post just once ;0)

Those houses don't look like anything special, just old.

www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I was harping about those houses previously but I changed my mind. They look pretty crappy, better nuke em out

Garneau houses aren't being moved... demo time

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...614/story.html
    www.decl.org

They are being demolished because no one wanted them. And that is entirely as it should be.
    Last edited by AShetsen; 04-06-2014 at 11:06 AM.