Thread: New Schools for Edmonton...Not Enough

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default New Schools for Edmonton...Not Enough

Todays announcement of 3 for metro Edmonton and 10 for Calgary seems skewed. The Minister stated they are spending where there is growth in Alberta. Hmmmm...sounds like an opportunity to study exactly where the growth IS occurring and school comparators. My recall is that population gains in Metro Edmonton are greater than Calgary. Maybe the NDP could take that task on or the Liberals instead of just health issues. Them or the Pembina Institute.

More than anything I'm disappointed that there wasn't an announcement to upgrade even one deteriorating school inside the Henday. I play rec sports at a lot of schools and it's appalling how gross some of them are. I have no doubt families move to the fringes just to get their kids into newer schools.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I'd rather C2E than work!

Paula Simons has chimed in - and blames EPSB and ESSB for not playing the Bureaucrats and Premier's games:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...612/story.html

I of course suspect the Redfords efforts to thwart Wildrose is the real plan - has been for the past number of years. In the end the PC's under Redford are screwing the Edmonton Capital Region.

^
    I don't like how the Journal writer in the article above blindly advocates closing older, currently less utilized schools to satisfy the provincial formula. I suspect those schools exist in neighbourhoods that are currently revitalizing, with young kids on the way to fill them, and it would be senseless to close them just to appease the bureaucrats utilization formulas. EPSB and the Catholic board should make a case to the bureaucrats to alter the formula to take into account future utilization, so that Edmonton is not unfairly penalized for keeping existing schools open for future growth. Then they won't have an leg to stand on when they try to favour Calgary.

No one said we should close older schools to play the game
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

...the article states...

Edmonton's board need to get much more aggressive about strategically consolidating older schools (...)
    Half empty classrooms in the north...not helping the deep south...etc..

So, one could extrapolate that strategically consolidating = some may close...and it would not be that big of a stretch in logic given how many administrators react...

I get what Ustauk is saying...that the statement does not take into account if or the possibility of the infill in that area getting more students...but to the points made in other threads...maybe it is time to start bussing...

heck...my bus ride to school was 60 minutes...in the good old rural days...
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

That is one person in an opinion peice.

I agree we need to bus kids to under used schools.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 11-02-2014 at 03:08 PM.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Can we call this what it is? 3 new schools for rich kids and rich parents.

They move to the burbs where their is no resources and DEMAND these things are built. At what expense?

At the expense of the poor inner city residents.

Give me 1 good reason we cant bus kids from the burbs to underused inner city / inner ring road schools.

1 Good Reason?!?!?!
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

...there isn't a good reason...

..but there are excuses!

Before we go out and condemn anyone, or accuse favoritism, let's do what the Simons article asked...check to see if we are actually utilizing what we have to the best of the abilities...maybe the definition of "classroom" vs other utilirty space (lunch room should not equate to classroom space) is in order?
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    That is one person in an opinion peice.

I agree we need to bus kids to under used schools.
    So you would bus kids from the suburbs to a school in the inner city that is under utilized just for ***** n giggles? Not sure how this makes any sense at all.

highlander

Bussing makes sense, at least for higher grades. The new neighbourhoods won't be so full of kids forever, so there's no point in building another round of schools that will be full for 15-20 years and then continue half-empty. To some degree relocatable classrooms can help, but at some point you're either overbuilding, depriving kids of the luxuries (like gyms) that don't do modular, or you bus. It doesn't have to be that far, either. We're not likely to see kids being bussed to the inner city, there are plenty of underused classrooms in 70's and 80's neighbourhoods too.

C2E Continued Contributor

Well, maybe the kids in Calgary are worth more than the ones in Edmonton.
    I bet the PC government thinks all Edmonton kids will end up becoming welders anyway.
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    Paula Simons has chimed in - and blames EPSB and ESSB for not playing the Bureaucrats and Premier's games:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...612/story.html

I of course suspect the Redfords efforts to thwart Wildrose is the real plan - has been for the past number of years. In the end the PC's under Redford are screwing the Edmonton Capital Region.
    You voted for her.

In Edmonton, there was not a single seat won by Wildrose. As such, PC has no incentive to reward Edmonton, since Edmonton will vote PC either way.

^ That is a bunch of BS

C2E Hard Core Contributor

its shocking the outright disdain the provincial government time and time again shows for this city.
    be offended! figure out why later...

Between 1986 - 1989 I was bussed from southeast Millwoods to Ottewell Junior high. Most of my grade 6 class was bussed come grade 7. There was only 2 Junior Highs in Millwoods (3 if you counted Ellerslie) so priority were the students closest. We were out of luck and had no choice. I don't recall it being the biggest of deal to parents either, granted it sucked but back in the 80s there wasn't really money for anything, let alone new schools. And hey, back in the 80s we were still allowed to be kids. The school situation changed in 1991 when TD Baker Junior High opened.

Parents today coddle their kids to such extremes that now it IS a big deal to have to bus. Little Johnny has never walked to school, never ridden his bike there and has always been driven, for his entire short life. Heaven forbid he takes the bus at 12 years old for a half hour or an hour every day, now it's a "safety issue" because the helicopter parents can't hover over their kids and something *might* happen. Nothing ever does but try telling that to the overprotective parent.

That's half the issue right there.
    Last edited by Kitlope; 15-02-2014 at 01:14 PM.

^also we wonder why kids are so chubby these days.

I personally believe our "underutilized" schools are that way because they're falling apart. I know people who leave good, mature neighbourhoods because they want their kids in the well-equipped shiny school.

So let's replace a few of these old, empty schools with some new ones and get on with it already.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E SME

I think Edmonton's schools need to make use of the big data available to make a strong business case to our government. For example, they could use the pre-school population for planning future schools.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

11 Calgary schools to 3 Edmonton...
    Don't feed the trolls!

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    I personally believe our "underutilized" schools are that way because they're falling apart. I know people who leave good, mature neighbourhoods because they want their kids in the well-equipped shiny school.

So let's replace a few of these old, empty schools with some new ones and get on with it already.
    They should be revamped and we should bus kids there....

^while I agree it's not what voters In shinny new neighbourhoods want to hear. In a way, Edmonton is better off not getting all these new schools, it should get something in return though. Those 7 schools could pay for better refurbishment in Edmonton or a better school bus system, rather than asking for the same, Edmonton should demand something better.
    Last edited by moahunter; 18-02-2014 at 06:30 PM.

i dont get why this issue has come up in the first place.

are there not census numbers? birth rate numbers? immigration numbers? development permit numbers?

shouldn't the growth have been accounted for using all these available tools years ago?

i feel like the growth of this province is in the hands of incompetent doorknobs!