Thread: Portables for all new schools?

Default Portables for all new schools?

I'm not sure how the whole school "portable" decision making process works. Can someone explain how the portable choice is made?

Are they a planned part of all new school designs?

They seem to make a lot of sense, since over the coming years neighbourhoods age and school age populations almost always drop. Schools with portables can be downsized.

If a new school lacks a portable does that mean it is essentially overbuilt and tax money has been overspent?

Worst case to me is that portables would be a permanent part of a school.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

They call them 'modulars' nowadays.

Typically the new schools have a core school with limited class spaces, and then are designed for a couple wings of 'modular' classrooms that can expand/contract as needed. At the initial design phase the expected number and maximum future number of modulars are decided. These guesses are not always accurate (and the issue is with guessing too low usually)

I see the advantage to this model, but I also dislike that schools and classrooms cannot be re-purposed with this deign model nearly as easily, as instead the classrooms just get removed. However, based on current examples, re-purposing isn't done very well, and most new neighborhoods are poor candidates for re-purposing anyways.

In the past I'd guess that they overestimated core demand and oversized schools. So today, if they screw up and underestimate core demand, do modular classrooms become permanent additions or do they add on to the school?

As I said, they seem to make a lot of sense but then it opens the door to gaming the system. i.e. It them would makes me wonder if differences might develop by the socio-economic status, or some other measure of a neighbourhood, in terms of the core sizing of their schools and subsequent need for modular additions.

It's not anything i've ever paid attention to. Do all newer schools (say in past 20 years) have modular classrooms attached to them? Are there stats on such things available?

I'm wondering what all the new proposed schools will be using.

I've seen a number of existing schools with what looks like 3 or 4 decade old modulars attached to them. To me that looks like a sign of an undersized school or one in need of expansion.

However, maybe it makes sense. I imagine that they could build a school with no actual permanent bricks and mortar style classrooms and just use modulars for every single one of the school's classrooms.

If we were really planning ahead, we'd build schools that had a core (admin, library, gym/auditorium, main mechanical) that could be repurposed/multipurposed into a community centre, with modular classrooms to handle the varying school enrolment. If at some point in the future, the school isn't viable, the community would be left with the community centre & small rec facility.
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Or you just don't build new schools, and let parents who decide to live in new neighbourhoods that don't have schools, travel to those that do. Only build new schools once every school in the City is close to capacity.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

why are these new schools being built so small?

which ***** honestly thought the newer neighbourhoods were not going to have high demand for elementary schools? the schools are sooo small!

close down inner city schools
    build undersized new schools
    ???????
    profit!

how do i get a job where i can be completely incompetent and still get paid?
    be offended! figure out why later...

highlander

Our current population growth is off the charts, and new neighbourhoods are filling faster than ever which makes them extremely homogeneous age-wise with huge numbers of families all at the exact same stage of life and needing schools at the exact same time. This is not normal, historically, and spending huge amounts of money to accommodate peak possible school population every time a new neighbourhood/school opens up would be far more foolish than the smaller school plus modulars approach. From what I see these schools are already significantly larger than schools from a couple generations back.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    If we were really planning ahead, we'd build schools that had a core (admin, library, gym/auditorium, main mechanical) that could be repurposed/multipurposed into a community centre, with modular classrooms to handle the varying school enrolment. If at some point in the future, the school isn't viable, the community would be left with the community centre & small rec facility.
    Yeah, we've got an elementary school with the school gym sitting maybe 15 metres from our community hall.

Did they never consider combining their resources to build a better, bigger and cheaper multi-purpose facility?

All schools IMHO should be designed that they can be repurposed as seniors residences.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.