Thread: Nissan Micra coming in spring for $10k new

Default Nissan Micra coming in spring for $10k new

For anyone who needs a tiny and/or inexpensive car, Nissan is bringing the Nissan Micra back to Canada for $10,000 (technically $9998, but we all know that's a psychological trick to make you think its $9k instead of $10k)

From autos.ca
    Quote Originally Posted by autos.ca
    It may have been absent from our market for the last two decades, but the Micra has continued to sell in Europe and is available in 160 (161 including Canada) countries worldwide.

Nissan’s pretty confident that the subcompact Micra will resonate with Canadians, since they’ve made the unusual decision to exclude the U.S. from its North American launch. Generally, the much larger U.S. market plays a big part in determining which models are released on this continent, but Americans have never really warmed to small hatchbacks the way we have.
    Although the Micra rides on the same V platform as the Versa Note, its shorter wheelbase suggests it will perform well as a city car. It’s propelled by the same 109-horsepower 1.6L found in the Versa Note, with either a five-speed manual, or four-speed automatic transmission. There will be three trim levels: S, SV and the range-topping SR which boasts 16-inch machined alloy wheels, side skirts and a jaunty rear spoiler. There are no details available for content features, although the interior is very similar to the Versa, with split folding rear seats.
    “The Canadian model is the only Micra in the world that receives front and rear sway bars, rear heater ducts and heated side mirrors” he said. Canadian cars will also be tuned to have quicker steering ratios. Over 20,000 km of cold weather testing has been logged on pre-production cars on our Canadian roads.

The Micra will be built in Aguascalientes, Mexico and has a projected release date of this April.

From driving.ca
    Quote Originally Posted by driving.ca
    With the Micra, Nissan Canada is “going it alone” as the car will not be sold in the United States, meaning that the Canadian arm of the Japanese automaker is shouldering all the costs associated with importing and marketing this new model, as was the case with the X-Trail crossover in years past.

From the Edmonton Sun Autonet page
    The Micra will make use of the same, 1.6-litre four-cylinder engine as the Nissan Versa, producing 109 horsepower. A four-speed automatic and a five-speed manual transmission will be available. What's more, Nissan has apparently adapted the car to the extreme cold weather climate in Canada, doing more than 20,000 kilometres of real-world testing in northern Quebec.

Its likely only a few of the bare bones models will be available at the low price point, but even with some upgrades the price should remain reasonable. I don't know how well it will do on the highway, but around town 109 horespower in a chassis that tiny should do pretty good. It would make a good first car, a nice second car for a two commuter household, and might even come in handy for empty nesters. I'm looking forward to when the actual test drives arrive. I'll post the links here when they do.
    Last edited by Ustauk; 13-02-2014 at 03:59 PM.

I think it'll come with their great CVT transmission.

If this was really tailored for Canadians it would have been AWD

This would make a great second vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by JBear View Post
    Maybe one day, but every article and the official website state a four speed/gear traditional automatic transmission, in addition to the five speed/gear manual transmission.

The press kit also has some more details on the Canadianization of the Micra.

Quote Originally Posted by Nissan Micra Press Kit
    Micra – Made for Canada
    While Micra is the Japanese car that grew up in Europe, the Canadian version has been exclusively tailored for this country. Extensive testing has been conducted in Canada to ensure that Micra meets the unique challenges of our roads and climate.

For example, road testing in Montreal resulted in the power steering and suspension being fine-tuned for Canadian roads. When it came to adjustments to handling, a wide range of factors were considered – even the way roads are crowned here in Canada. Front and rear sway bars were tuned and added to tighten handling, and the rack and pinion steering was further adjusted to improve the turning radius. As a result, Micra could well be Canada's most agile urban vehicle.

Other upgrades include features perfect for Canadian winters including heated outside rear mirrors and rear heater ducts to keep back seat passengers warm. A redesign of the rear seats to create the 60/40-split bench ensure hockey sticks can be easily transported to the rink. In many countries 14 inch wheels are standard equipment, but the Canadian Micra comes with 15 or 16 inch wheels – sizes that are widely available as snow tires.
    The 60/40 bench is a nice touch; you could get two adults and squeeze two children in the back, and still have a passage for their sports equipment back to the cargo area. Could be useful for squeezing in golf club, curling brooms, etc too.
    Last edited by Ustauk; 14-02-2014 at 11:03 AM.

^ Lets strive for car reduced... I could see this as my first car in 15 years.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    ^ Lets strive for car reduced... I could see this as my first car in 15 years.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Nice to see another small car option, but there is still a lot of bloat compared to the 1990 model - over 900 kg vs. 675 kg.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium48 View Post
    Nice to see another small car option, but there is still a lot of bloat compared to the 1990 model - over 900 kg vs. 675 kg.
    According to Autoevolution, the 90s five door 1.0 L weighed 695 kg , and the 1.2 L weighed 740 kg. Considering the horsepower for the 1.0L was 50 horsepower and 54 horsepower for the 1.2 L, the 109 horsepower in the new Micra's 1.6 L should still allow it to outperform its forbeareres, despite the additional weight.

I've always liked the Nissans. Thee company and it's forebearer Datsun have come up with some pretty neat products over the years.

Anyone who's driven a Z car, or an old 510 knows that there's some pretty cool engineering in those cars. The old 300ZX Twin Turbos were, even by todays' standards, a superior performance car.

This little Micra will compete with similar products from Toyota an Honda. It should be a good option for those looking for that type of vehicle
    Parkdale

http://www.creativeleadershipperspec.../greatnews.jpg

It's not the Dacia Sandero but this will do just fine lol.

lol Safety role cages and side impact beams are a ***** hey.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Do you remember when you had to buy a 60,000 luxury veh to get ABS.

I could see this as my first car in 15 years.
    So what makes this potentially your first car in 15 years. Just curious. Is it the size? The price? What makes it stand out above over somewhat similar cars?

Nissan CVT's have had problems over the years

These small cars really need a 5 speed
    Parkdale

Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post

Did you reay my earlier reply to JBear?

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    Maybe one day, but every article and the official website state a four speed/gear traditional automatic transmission, in addition to the five speed/gear manual transmission.
    I agree you'll be able to wring more performance out of the five speed manual, but the four speed automatic should work for most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    I could see this as my first car in 15 years.
    So what makes this potentially your first car in 15 years. Just curious. Is it the size? The price? What makes it stand out above over somewhat similar cars?
    Size, price and fuel economy.

It will depend on insurance however... sadly with no insurance history and only age behind me my rates will be pretty high.

I am also looking at selling my condo and moving to a cheaper rental unit so financially i would be better to afford a car. I am very much a compact car fan.

I also really like the Fiat 500.

Imay also move out of this city... or go to university.. I am very much in a state of flux.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 14-02-2014 at 03:32 PM.

^^ I don't know why anyone would pay extra for a slushbox, especially in a small car. An automatic (geared or CVT) would be fine if it was coupled through an electronically controlled dry plate clutch and not a torque converter though.

I miss this car:

(wikipedia)

Small on the outside, big on the inside, simple, clean styling, lightweight and very fuel efficient - 5 L/100 km with 1980s engine technology. Fun to drive too.

^ Ewe I hated the metro...

I had a Nissan cvt and liked it / has no problems. I have a cvt now. They are perfect for small cars (better fuel economy and more pep at small size) than a regular auto, and nowadays outperform for fuel economy a manual stick. I don't understand the cvt stigma, just because they sound different under heavy acceleration, IMO doesn't make them worse.

I wouldn't buy this car, I just don't think it's practical or safe in a winter city, you are just going to slide around regardless how good your tires are. For the same price you could probably get a second hand Nissan rogue with not much worse fuel economy and no need winter tires with the AWD (IMO). Once this is optioned up with basic things most people want now, I'm guessing you would end up close to corolla price (new model is much better appliance than this) and not far off a cuv like the rogue (can pick up outgoing models, new now, about 22k).
    Last edited by moahunter; 15-02-2014 at 06:47 AM.

^
    I think you'd be surprised how well a tiny car can handle winter driving. I had a 2 door manual Ford Aspire with a mall 58 hp engine; even with that small an engine the car never had much trouble in winter, even plowing through slippery parking lots with all season tires. As long as you have enough ground clearance with your tires (and the Micra base tires for Canada are 15", as opposed to 14" elsewhere), and given its front wheel drive, it should probably do pretty good, especially having been tuned to winter weather in northern Quebec.

^^ I don't know why anyone would pay extra for a slushbox, especially in a small car. An automatic (geared or CVT) would be fine if it was coupled through an electronically controlled dry plate clutch and not a torque converter though.

I miss this car:

Small on the outside, big on the inside, simple, clean styling, lightweight and very fuel efficient - 5 L/100 km with 1980s engine technology. Fun to drive too.
    I had two of the Suzuki version with a 4 cyl engine and 14" rims not the pared down GM Metro. The 4 door Suzuki with sport tires and suspension was terrible in winter and got stuck easily. The two door with regular suspension and higher ground clearance was the funnest car I ever had for driving in town. Quick and nimble, easy on gas, good vision and would plow through the deepest snow where 4x4's feared to drive.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

I miss this car:

(wikipedia)

There is a lot of older tech that has a ton going for it.

My 21 year old has a 92 Metro convertible (1.0L 3 cylinder) with the mighty 58hp engine and it has been a great car getting exceptional gas mileage (beating most of the current generation) with good performance.

Now not being able to leave well enough alone it has had some work done over the winter.
    - Dad built and supplied a balanced, blueprinted, ported, polished engine with special cylinder head mods, boosted compression ratio, modified ignition and fuel injection. Dynos just shy of 90hp and should actually get better gas mileage.

- Custom built low restriction exhaust with catalytic converter and hand made header system

- Lowered 1 1/2" suspension (still lots for Edmonton)

- Larger wheels and tires

- Custom built roll bar with special side impact protection

and a ton of other touches.

Same weight, more power, as good or better gas mileage in a small fun lightweight package that will outperform most cars in it's category.

In my highly biased personal opinion

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post

I had a Nissan cvt and liked it / has no problems. I have a cvt now. They are perfect for small cars (better fuel economy and more pep at small size) than a regular auto, and nowadays outperform for fuel economy a manual stick. I don't understand the cvt stigma, just because they sound different under heavy acceleration, IMO doesn't make them worse.

I wouldn't buy this car, I just don't think it's practical or safe in a winter city, you are just going to slide around regardless how good your tires are. For the same price you could probably get a second hand Nissan rogue with not much worse fuel economy and no need winter tires with the AWD (IMO). Once this is optioned up with basic things most people want now, I'm guessing you would end up close to corolla price (new model is much better appliance than this) and not far off a cuv like the rogue (can pick up outgoing models, new now, about 22k).
    Not true.
    Way way back my first car was a '93 Mazda 323 (75 HP)....had it for over 7 years and never had any problems in winter and no winter tires either. Was a bare bones but fun little car to drive, though no A/C in summer sucked!
    I think it has more to do with the driver than the vehicle. You can have an SUV with AWD or 4WD with the best winter tires, but can sometimes mean nothing if the driver is terrible.
    Edmonton ~ It may not be perfect, but it's home~

From a post by MetroMPG at micra-forum.com:
    Quote Originally Posted by Member MetroMPG at Micra-forum.com
    This review of the current generation 1.6L Micra comes from Mexico, where the biggest difference is the name: In Mexico, it's known as the Nissan "March".

OK, there are also differences in safety equipment -- see below.

Owner "Jolgamazatlan" shares his thoughts/experiences...

Quote Originally Posted by Jolgamazatlan
    Last September I purchased a new 2013 Nissan March in Mexico. As you know this is virtually the same car as the Micra which you are discussing. The only major difference being that it is only available here with 2 airbags …. but that’s an off-topic discussion, so I’ll go on with a bit of owner experience regarding this little gem.

This is definitely not an el cheapo penalty box with a punishing ride. Coming off a 7-year experience with a [manual transmission] BMW 323i, this little 4-speed auto compares favourably in many departments, exceeds in some and is at a disadvantage in only a couple.

Interior: the interior is not an opulent one to be sure, but it is comfortable and well-organized.

Ergonomics: All the controls fall to hand and you get the impression that they spent some time and effort to make sure that you never have to fight with the interface to get it to do what you want when you want it.

Comfort: My wife often had a sore back with our BMW because the seat had her sitting too low and stretched her back. She really enjoys the firm, yet comfy cushions and there is no more back fatigue nor pain.

Automatic transmission: I have always been a manual transmission devotee, however, I decided to listen to my better half’s complaints about my jerky clutch driving and spring for the 4-speed auto. I was sure that I would live to regret it, but lo and behold … a revelation!! This humble 4-speed tranny's shifts are quick and positive. The engine is kept in its power-band and there is no hunting for the right gear.

Engine: this light car has the same motor as the much heavier Versa so in this application it has a lot of spunk due to the much better power-to-weight ratio.

Summary: I could go on and on extolling the virtues of our March… but you get the idea. If anyone is looking for a great little gas sipper, that doesn’t break, is dirt-cheap to maintain, is big on the inside and looks so cute you’ll want to give a pet name, then try out a March/Micra. For some of you it just might surprise and delight enough that you will be smitten.
    From the reader comments below this article:
    http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...cra-in-detail/

I phoned Eriksen Nissan to see when the Micra will be coming in. They didn't know, but just last week they got a copy for two hours to familiarize themselves with the vehicle. Taking them with a sack of salt, the salesperson's comments were that it maneuvered well, and had a surprising amount of power, even with the automatic version they were driving around. They drove around mostly downtown, as the car needed to be handed to the other dealerships, so they had know highway handling to report.

When the car finally does come in, I'd like to take it for a test drive; I'm curious how it will do on passing on the Yellowhead, and how it will handle Groat Road. Time will tell

When the car finally does come in, I'd like to take it for a test drive; I'm curious how it will do on passing on the Yellowhead, and how it will handle Groat Road. Time will tell
    Hi Ustauk..

Saw your link to Micra-Forum (thanks for the credit/link, by the way ... a lot of people don't bother).

Just wanted to say: if & when you test drive it, please let us know. We're eager to hear a regular person (non-salesperson, non-journalist) give an opinion.

I'm headed to the Ottawa auto show on Friday to check it out in person (static display of course).

This will be on my radar as well. The base price is under $10,000 and it's a bit bigger than the other cars in that price segment, something that interests me with 2 young children and a QEII drive to and from work.

Member MPG just posted the official press release on the Micra forum, with more details on the trim levels and a final destination charge of $1400, which is appropriately a bit cheaper then that on the slightly larger Versa note.

Quote Originally Posted by Member MetroMPG on the Micra forum
    From the horse's mouth:

Quote Originally Posted by Nissan Canada Press Release
    Mar. 26, 2014

All-new 2015 Nissan Micra offers Canadians lowest-priced Bluetooth®, Rearview monitor, cruise control and more

- The Micra is the very best value in Canada with European style and Japanese quality starting at just $9,998 -

MISSISSAUGA, ON. – Today, Nissan announced pricing for the all-new Nissan Micra's complete Canadian line-up, featuring the lowest cost of entry for many desired features including: Bluetooth, Rear View Monitor, cruise control, manual air conditioning and automatic transmission.

"In the highly competitive entry-level segment, customers are looking for an array of options, in addition to the expected demands for fuel economy, style and safety. The Nissan Micra is the complete package providing Canadians with a myriad of convenient features including: Bluetooth, RearView monitor, automatic transmission and air conditioning - all at the lowest price in Canada," said Christian Meunier, President, Nissan Canada Inc. "With these points in mind, coupled with flexible financing programs, Micra underscores Nissan's commitment to bringing the right car to Canadians at a truly unbeatable value."

Nissan Micra S

With the lowest starting Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) in Canada at $9,998* for the Micra S MT, the primary innovation offered can be summed up in two words: unbeatable value. The all-new Micra will be available in eight well-equipped models designed to appeal to a broad range of buyer needs and budgets when it goes on sale this spring.

Following the base model is the Micra S equipped with automatic transmission and priced at $13,298. The Micra S 4AT adds numerous in-demand features including automatic transmission, air conditioning and cruise control, all at the most affordable prices in Canada.

Nissan Micra SV

The ever-popular Nissan SV trim once again presents Canadians with an exceptional level of value boasting the most affordable Bluetooth and front and rear power windows in Canada. Additional standard features include: body coloured handles, heated power outside mirrors, steering wheel controls, power door locks with remote keyless entry, six-way driver's seat and cargo cover. The Micra SV starts at $13,698, and is available with automatic transmission for an additional $1,000.

Available on the SV trim is the Convenience Package which, at only $500, adds a 4.3-inch audio display with USB interface and iPod connectivity. Also included is Nissan's innovative RearView monitor system – an unexpected feature in the entry-level segment, and available at the lowest price in Canada.

Nissan Micra SR

The Micra SR offers everything available on the SV with Convenience Package, plus a long list of top-grade features which further enhance Micra's unique and dynamic appearance. Micra SR equipment includes: 16-inch machined/black-painted alloy wheels, front fog Lights with chrome finisher, front fascia lower grille chrome finisher, sport front headlights and rear taillights, leather-wrapped steering wheel and side sill spoilers. The fully-loaded Micra SR has a starting price of $15,748. The automatic transmission variant is available for an additional $1,000.

Regardless of grade level, Micra gives owners more value, more fun and more attention to detail than they'd expect from an entry-level vehicle. Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Prices (MSRP) for the 2015 Nissan Micra are as follows:

Micra 1.6 S, MT $9,998 CAD
    Micra 1.6 S, 4AT $13,298 CAD
    Micra 1.6 SV, MT $13,698 CAD
    Micra 1.6 SV, MT Convenience $14,198 CAD
    Micra 1.6 SV, 4AT $14,698 CAD
    Micra 1.6 SV 4AT, Convenience $15,198 CAD
    Micra 1.6 SR MT $15,748 CAD
    Micra 1.6 SR 4AT $16,748 CAD
    Freight and PDE $1,400

Nissan Micra accessible to a wide range of Canadians

Micra will attract many new customers to the Nissan brand, including those who prefer smaller, European-styled vehicles. Nissan Finance is excited to support this all-new vehicle with a full complement of unique and competitive finance and lease programs tailored to each and every customer's needs, such as:

The First Time Buyer Program is designed to assist first-time car buyers overcome many of the financial hurdles they face as they look to purchase their first new vehicle.
    The Nissan Grad Program As new graduates prepare to enter the work force, a new Nissan Micra is a great choice. Even with little or no credit history, qualified applicants can own a stylish new car while establishing a good credit history. Applicants may even qualify for additional rewards for being a recent grad.
    The New Canadian Program is a cornerstone in Nissan's commitment to serve Canada's multicultural communities. Even with a limited credit history, buyers can leave the showroom with a new Nissan Micra, and a payment plan that will help establish good credit and aid in financing in the future.

The Micra Opportunity Program

This newly created finance program will be launched exclusively to serve the unique needs of Micra buyers. It is the first of its kind to be offered by an automotive finance company in Canada, The Micra Opportunity Program makes it easy for buyers to make payments on time, while establishing or improving credit. No previous automotive finance or lease credit history is required and all applicants will be considered regardless of credit bureau history.
    For more information on Nissan's finance options, customers should visit their local Nissan retailer.

About the Nissan Micra

Available in three trims, the Micra S, SV and top-of-the-line SR will be available with either a 5-speed manual transmission, or a 4-speed automatic transmission. Each model is equipped with an advanced 1.6-litre DOHC 4-cylinder engine with dual fuel injection and Twin CVTC. With no plans for the United States, Micra will truly be a Canadian car and has been extensively tested and perfected for the Canadian driver with features like heated outside mirrors, rear heater ducts (to keep backseat toes warm), 60/40 split rear seats and either 15 or 16 inch wheels – sizes that are widely available as snow tires.

Micra's available equipment includes: a 4-speaker audio system with an available 4.3 inch display, USB input for iPod and similar devices, Bluetooth® Hands-free Phone System, cruise control, air conditioning, fog lights and 16-inch aluminum-alloy wheels, RearView Monitor, and steering wheel mounted controls. The Nissan Micra offers several advanced convenience and safety features at the most affordable price in the country; presenting Canadians with more value than ever before.

Self-expression is also a key feature that will set Micra apart from the competition in Canada, with unique options that will allow the car to be "personalized" to the owner's individual tastes and favourite colour palate. Several trim items are available, including mirror covers, door handle finishers, a rear hatch finisher, wheel caps and interior trim finishers, in five distinct colours – red, white, black, orange and purple, as well as chrome. These accessories will be an 'a la carte' selection, allowing the customer to choose a little dash of colour where desired, with coordinating side stripes also available in each colours.

The accessory packages will start at less than $200 and there are also various lifestyle accessories available, such as bike, ski and even kayak carriers. Practical items like cargo organizers, winter mats and trunk protectors are also available on the 2015 Nissan Micra, making it one of Canada's most customizable cars as well as the country's greatest value.

More information on the Nissan Micra, including B-Roll and Photos can be found HERE.
    Source:
    http://nissannews.com/en-CA/nissan/c...cher-au-canada

No air conditioning on the base model? Have to pay $3600 for a bunch of other gadgets to get it?
    Pardon the pun, but that's just not cool.
    AC should be a standalone option for ~$1000.

I can live without power windows, and my missus wants an automatic transmission, so if I end up getting this car one day I'd probably go for the Micro S 4AT trim (Automatic transmission, air conditioning, and cruise control). $13,298 + $1400 + $734.90 = $15,432.9, which still is relatively reasonable.

No air conditioning on the base model? Have to pay $3600 for a bunch of other gadgets to get it?
    Pardon the pun, but that's just not cool.
    AC should be a standalone option for ~$1000.
    I agree. Since the missus needs an automatic, I'd take a version with AT and cruise without the air conditioning. It'd probably end up being $11300 before tax and destination.

At the same time, they can only afford to vary the production lines so much; they're making this variant of the Micra for us and not the States, so they have to keep the costs down some how. I'll take having fewer trim options over not having the car available at all

I can live without power windows, and my missus wants an automatic transmission, so if I end up getting this car one day I'd probably go for the Micro S 4AT trim (Automatic transmission, air conditioning, and cruise control). $13,298 + $1400 + $734.90 = $15,432.9, which still is relatively reasonable.
    Not trying to argue but isn't that getting close to Chevrolet Cruze numbers? Little bigger car yes but features galore (safety etc) and reasonable fuel consumption. And depending on your intended use a larger dealer network should you require it. If a commuter car only, then this doesn't apply. Your thoughts?
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Quote Originally Posted by bpeters View Post
    Not trying to argue but isn't that getting close to Chevrolet Cruze numbers? Little bigger car yes but features galore (safety etc) and reasonable fuel consumption. And depending on your intended use a larger dealer network should you require it. If a commuter car only, then this doesn't apply. Your thoughts?
    I take transit, so the car is mostly for larger grocery runs/shopping, pleasure drives in the city, and the occasional longer highway drive (like to my folks's place in Mundare). I'd probably not be buying a new car unless I end up moving to a spot where transit times too and from work would be impractical.

How much are you getting a Cruze for after tax and destination in the city? Using the Gm Configuration tool, the cheapest I could configure a Cruze with automatic at was $17,445 + $1600 destination + $952.25 = $19997.25, and that was without air conditioning and cruise control, as far as I can tell.

Edit: A search for new Cruzes at Canada Trader yielded a price of $19,145 at Adam's Chevrolet Buick GMC in Wetaskawin. Even if you got them to waive the GST and destination charge as part of a deal, you'd still end up with a more expensive car then the Micra. Whether the Cruze is worth the extra money, given the added size and commonality of the dealerships, I'll leave to the individual consumer
    Last edited by Ustauk; 26-03-2014 at 12:02 PM.

I understand simplifying production lines, but other manufacturers have made AC a standalone option.

A simple set of 3 independent ~$1000 options might be:
    1. Automatic transmission
    2. Air conditioning
    3. Interior gadgets package (power windows, etc)

Cruise control should either be standard (if drive by wire adding cruise control is basically free) or a dealer installed accessory. Other things like fancy wheels are available aftermarket (allowing you to use the factory steel wheels for your winter tires), and do you really need a backup camera on a subcompact?

I understand simplifying production lines, but other manufacturers have made AC a standalone option.

A simple set of 3 independent ~$1000 options might be:
    1. Automatic transmission
    2. Air conditioning
    3. Interior gadgets package (power windows, etc)

Cruise control should either be standard (if drive by wire adding cruise control is basically free) or a dealer installed accessory. Other things like fancy wheels are available aftermarket (allowing you to use the factory steel wheels for your winter tires), and do you really need a backup camera on a subcompact?
    I agree with what you say. In this day an age, the consumer should have the choice. And a backup camera on something this size? Ridiculous.

Well I could live with the base model but A/C would be nice. Was hoping for Bluetooth and power windows in a trim level lower but oh well.

Default questions ... answers

Hi everybody...

I've been in touch with Nissan Canada and they offered to make a Micra expert available to answer questions. I'm collecting a list -- feel free to chime in. I'll let them know once we've got a few put together.

My first two are about changes to the steering, and why no CVT?

Got Micra questions? Post them here to get answers from a Nissan Canada expert

Well I could live with the base model but A/C would be nice.
    or..... Micra Cabriolet anyone?
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

I phoned West End Nissan today, and the salesperson said they'd be getting the Micra in three weeks, which is consistent with the end of April date for other areas of the country.

He noted that his dealership could bring in for a $100 deposit the trim level you requested, and that the money was refundable if the vehicle did not meet your needs after a test drive.

Here's the official brochure for the Micra. It includes the available paint colours (some of which cost extra), and specifics about the options available.

The build page for the Micra is also now up.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Surprised there are no options for upgraded audio. Also surprised the millage isn't a bit better for such a small car/engine. It's definitely not bad but I guess I expected a bit better in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Surprised there are no options for upgraded audio. Also surprised the millage isn't a bit better for such a small car/engine. It's definitely not bad but I guess I expected a bit better in 2014.
    Not sure why there's no upgraded audio options. In Europe they get a more fuel efficient three cylinder engine, but to save costs here they are using the same engine as in the Versa; I guess they're gambling that people would rather save up front on the sticker price, rather then saving on fuel economy over the long term and paying more up front for a more advanced engine. Also, they think people in Canada would rather sacrifice some fuel economy for better performance out on the highway, as highlighted by the below quote from their brochure.

Quote Originally Posted by Nissan Micra Brochure
    And we made sure you’d have the power you need for lag-free, confident
    acceleration to make passing and highway driving effortless.
    The basic three cylinder motor in Europe has 79 horsepower, and probably would have cost more money to get tested and approved by the regulators here then could be justified for our market, plus it probably costs more to produce then the older tech of the three cylinder engine. Some higher end Micra's get a supercharged version of the three cylinder to bring horsepower closer to the four cylinder's rating without compromising fuel economy, but that again increases costs; since half the marketing for he Micra emphasizes how inexpensive it is, they went with the cheaper, more powerful, existing Versa Note engine.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Unfortunate. Oh well. It's business.

Don't forget... as a 2015 model, the Micra is subject to NRCAN's updated fuel economy testing (additional and stringent tests to more closely estimate "real world" fuel econ). So the Micra's numbers will appear "worse" than numbers published for 2014 (and earlier) model year cars.

But relative to the competition, the Micra's mileage is no surprise: A 109 hp engine isn't going to be as fuel efficient as a 74 hp (Mirage) or 84 hp (Spark) engine. Also, Micra's 4-speed automatic is a fuel economy handicap vs. the CVT's in those other cars. But it will feel more peppy. Pick your poison!
    Last edited by MetroMPG; 16-04-2014 at 11:18 AM.