Thread: Custom Builders for Infill

Default Custom Builders for Infill

I've been wandering around from builder to builder looking to do some infill in Bonnie Doon, but I've had a hard time trying to find a builder that I can trust. I'd narrowed things down to Perry / Kimberley but they seem to have gotten pretty poor reviews from people on homestars.com (not overly reputable, but nevertheless, bad reviews are a cause for concern.)

Wondering if anyone has had prior experience with either builder doing infill, or any other custom builders who would be in the same price range, and is more reputable.
    I also wonder whether it might be worth waiting for results out of the 'Evolving Infill' project.

Would love to here everyone's experiences and opinions of infill and Custom builders in Edmonton!

I'd rather C2E than work!

Definitely look at Centennial Homes. They do Victorian and Craftsman homes only, and have done some in Bonnie Doon. Really nice work. Though I didn't build with Charlie, I live in a house he built. Feel free to mention my name to him.

http://www.centennialhomes.net/
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Talk to Urban Age Homes http://urbanagehomes.com

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Ace Lange does infill. They're pretty well respected in the field.

Kanvi homes does infill as well.

Any outcomes from the Evolving Infill ideas would probably take 3-4 years to be implemented at the speed the city works.

My mom has also used Fekete Homes for two houses, and she really liked them:
    http://www.feketehomes.ca/
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Partially Addicted to C2E

Check out the House Company http://www.housecompany.com and Habitat Studio http://habitat-studio.com

Oh yeah, I've seen some of their houses in the neighbourhood, and they're nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Check out the House Company http://www.housecompany.com and Habitat Studio http://habitat-studio.com
    They are a bit out of my budget - I've had a couple talks with them and I have to admit they are very impressive. Would love to go with them as they have a fantastic reputation.

What is your price range (and what size house are you looking for)?

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Something around 1600 sq ft for ~400k, plus a basement suite.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Talk to Paul or Tegan

http://redbrickinc.ca
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by kashirat View Post
    Something around 1600 sq ft for ~400k, plus a basement suite.
    Including the lot? Or not including the lot?
    Including the lot in that price is going to be a stretch and probably in a neighbourhood seen as rougher by some. If 400K is just the house price, the sky's the limit for 1600 sq ft. That would be a pretty ballin house.

A work friend just had a house built by a major builder( can not remember who) and the cost was $155 a square foot. Located in a brand new north location total value 600+ something

Quote Originally Posted by Swillv8 View Post
    A work friend just had a house built by a major builder( can not remember who) and the cost was $155 a square foot. Located in a brand new north location total value 600+ something
    $150-180/sf is about right for a mid level new house. Add 50K for basement development including inlaw suite. Add maybe 15-25K extra for being an infill and the extra logistics (fencing, disposal, demo, utilities)

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    $150-180/sf is about right for a mid level new house. Add 50K for basement development including inlaw suite. Add maybe 15-25K extra for being an infill and the extra logistics (fencing, disposal, demo, utilities)
    I wonder if that might be for a builder who is putting an existing plan on a lot? The custom builders I've visited have all been north of $175.

Quote Originally Posted by kashirat View Post
    I wonder if that might be for a builder who is putting an existing plan on a lot? The custom builders I've visited have all been north of $175.
    Yes, an existing plan, or modified off a stock plan on a lot the builder does NOT own. Getting a draftperson to take care of that for you doesn't hurt, if you know what you want. A builder can certainly help with suggestions if you don't know.
    Last edited by nobleea; 18-02-2014 at 01:49 PM.

C2E Posting Power
    Alberta Avenue, Boyle Street, McCauley, San Tan Valley

$400K would be a modest infill in Little Italy area.

Subbing to this for information. I eventually would like to do an infill project in Beverly or Highlands
    FREE THE LOOPING .GIF MEMES
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

Sorry, but you won't be able to buy a lot in Bonnie Doon and build a 1,600 sq/f house on it for $400k.

Sorry, but you won't be able to buy a lot in Bonnie Doon and build a 1,600 sq/f house on it for $400k.
    400k would just be for the house.

That makes more sense for a lot is 200-350k min.
    www.decl.org

Okay, kashirat, that makes a lot more sense. Unfortunately I think the names I gave you would be closer to the $200 per s/f price.

Okay, kashirat, that makes a lot more sense. Unfortunately I think the names I gave you would be closer to the $200 per s/f price.
    With a 400K budget for the house, they could afford $220-250/sf. Should have no problem getting something unique and well designed/built.

Yeah try 'bout $700 large.

Sorry to bump an older thread - is anyone here familiar with Alair Homes? They were at the home and garden show and I've seen nothing but good reviews about them. It's a little surprising that they have no negative comments at all that I've seen online - maybe I'm being overly pessimistic.

Would love to hear any one else's experiences about them.

Hi
    I work for Caliber Master Builder we have an infill show home located at 8114 159st
    The show home hours are Monday - Thursday from 3pm -8pm and Saturday Sunday and Holidays from Noon to 5 pm
    If you would like to get an idea of what we can do feel free to drop by
    Thanks
    Ian

Anyone have any personal experiences with any of the following builders:

Rockwall Contracting
    Anthony Developments
    BelVan Homes
    Engelman Construction

We are going to do an SFH infill starting in the spring and I'm going to get some quotes on our design over the next month or two.

The design is contemporary/modern. A drafter has completed the design for me separately.

If you don't want to post your experiences, feel free to send me a private message.

I would recommend Engleman.
    www.decl.org

I've heard good things about Engleman in the past, but lately they've had a number of problems with houses in Old Strathcona. One has taken about a year and a half to finish (and counting), while another was taken over by a different builder. Not sure if they're having problems or not, those are just two projects I know of that seem to be problematic.

Anyone dealt with Garry Builders or Managen?

I've heard good things about Engleman in the past, but lately they've had a number of problems with houses in Old Strathcona. One has taken about a year and a half to finish (and counting), while another was taken over by a different builder. Not sure if they're having problems or not, those are just two projects I know of that seem to be problematic.
    Engelman starts at 285/sf so I guess the owners of these homes ran out of money.

Crazy. There's an Infiniti Master Builder, and an Infiniti Homes, Master Builder. They both do infill, though one seems to specialize in greenfield development, and the other mature area infill.

Awesome thread. I just posted one with regards to builder referrals.

I am interested in building an average duplex with suited basement (total 4 separate living spaces). I prefer a mature neighbourhood (infill project).

I don't mind modifying an existing stock plan to reduce cost per square footage.

So which builder do you recommend? I am not looking at fancy custom builders.

Thank you!

Anyone dealt with Garry Builders or Managen?
    No. But Managen is a respected name specializing in estate bungalows.

We're interested in doing an infill with a garage suite for $750,000-$800,000 all in. We are okay with a 1500sq ft house so more funds could be diverted to the garage suite. What neighbourhoods is this realistic in? We'd prefer a south central location (south of Whyte not further then 63ave). Any recommended builders who have experience in garage suites? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by anon81 View Post
    We're interested in doing an infill with a garage suite for $750,000-$800,000 all in. We are okay with a 1500sq ft house so more funds could be diverted to the garage suite. What neighbourhoods is this realistic in? We'd prefer a south central location (south of Whyte not further then 63ave). Any recommended builders who have experience in garage suites? Thanks.
    I assume that includes the lot? If it does, I think that's entirely possible, depending on your level of finish desired. Figure 350K for the lot, 85K for a nice garage and finished suite above it. Should leave you with enough for a decently finished house of around 1700 sq ft (unfinished basement). 350K gets you a tear down lot in pretty much the entire south central/east central area. King edward, ritchie, avonmore, bonnie doon, holyrood, idylwylde, hazeldean, argyll. Likely wouldn't get you anything west of 99 st. Maybe allendale or parkallen.

We are doing the same thing at this very moment (foundation is going up right now). Building a garage suite isn't complicated at all. Any home builder should be able to do it. Knowing all the rules and navigating with the city is the harder part.

Just make sure that you use grade beam for that garage/suite foundation and no slab on grade.

I assume that includes the lot? If it does, I think that's entirely possible, depending on your level of finish desired. Figure 350K for the lot, 85K for a nice garage and finished suite above it. Should leave you with enough for a decently finished house of around 1700 sq ft (unfinished basement). 350K gets you a tear down lot in pretty much the entire south central/east central area. King edward, ritchie, avonmore, bonnie doon, holyrood, idylwylde, hazeldean, argyll. Likely wouldn't get you anything west of 99 st. Maybe allendale or parkallen.

We are doing the same thing at this very moment (foundation is going up right now). Building a garage suite isn't complicated at all. Any home builder should be able to do it. Knowing all the rules and navigating with the city is the harder part.
    Thanks noblea. Did you purchase a corner lot? I read somewhere that garage suites require three parking spots. Who are you building with? I need to drive around all those neighbourhoods before I narrow it down as I've always lived in the westend. My other half works in Sherwood Park so east of 99st is ideal.

I'd echo nobleea's comments. Ritchie would be a nice neighbourhood; it's an up-and-coming place with tons of infill, and your house would fit right in.

Quote Originally Posted by anon81 View Post
    Thanks noblea. Did you purchase a corner lot? I read somewhere that garage suites require three parking spots. Who are you building with? I need to drive around all those neighbourhoods before I narrow it down as I've always lived in the westend. My other half works in Sherwood Park so east of 99st is ideal.
    No, we don't have a corner lot, it's an inside pie lot. You can build garage suites on any lot nowadays assuming it's big enough. Yes, you need 3 parking stalls, though you don't have to provide a stall to the renter. It can be as simple as a gravel pad beside the garage, or a driveway that's long enough to fit a car even if parking a car on the driveway would block the garage. We are building with a company called YEG Builders. They're friends of friends and normally do spec infill. There's about 30 houses for sale on MLS right now for under 375K that might work in those areas. A bigger lot is always better when trying to put a garage suite on without it seeming too large. Then there's also the issue of what location would be most appealing to a renter. You'd want to be on the west side of those areas listed, or closer to Whyte if renting to a student.

I've been interested in the prospect of having "green parking spots" (which are now defined in the LUB) instead of normal spots. Essentially there would be a gate wide enough for a car to enter into the backyard beside a garden suite, and a tandem "green parking" area in the backyard.

I don't like the idea of a second-storey garage suite as much as a true Vancouver-style lane way suite which is cheaper to build, looks nicer, and is more liveable, and the only barrier to building one seems to be parking. This would be somewhat of a loophole. Of course the yard would never be used as parking, but it would be properly landscaped to allow it.

I wonder if anyone has tried this in Edmonton?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaerdo View Post
    I don't like the idea of a second-storey garage suite as much as a true Vancouver-style lane way suite which is cheaper to build, looks nicer, and is more liveable, and the only barrier to building one seems to be parking. This would be somewhat of a loophole. Of course the yard would never be used as parking, but it would be properly landscaped to allow it.

I'm sure the style you see in vancouver could be doable, but might require some variances. Edmonton has area limitations on the suites. If it's at grade, it's 50sq m, 60 if it's above the garage. I don't know how they would do it if it was a 1.5 story structure. I am guessing the sq footage is a hard and fast rule, but the rest might go through with a variance.

Once the occupancy permit is approved, I don't think there's much way for the city to find out that your 'parking space' has been turned back in to a yard. I guess maybe if a neighbour complained?

I've been interested in the prospect of having "green parking spots" (which are now defined in the LUB) instead of normal spots. Essentially there would be a gate wide enough for a car to enter into the backyard beside a garden suite, and a tandem "green parking" area in the backyard.

I see two major issues with a grade level garage suite.

1) Site coverage shall be under 40%. If you have the most typical 404 m2 lot, you can have at most 161.6m2 of coverage. Which is about 1740 sf. You would need to use at least 1000 sf for a double garage and the garage suite. That leaves you with 740 sf for the main building. Even if you build a two story box with no veranda, you will get 1480 sf at most.

In short, you do want to build as much square footage as possible, to bring down the per sf cost. Otherwise, you lose big $$$.

2) Foundation design. You can't use slab on grade as a foundation for your living quarter. You have to at least use a grade beam system. If you build a grade level suite, the cost is substantially more. And you will still have the extra slab to pour and insulation problems. Unless, you build a basement for the garage suite.

Quote Originally Posted by eons View Post

1) Site coverage shall be under 40%. If you have the most typical 404 m2 lot, you can have at most 161.6m2 of coverage. Which is about 1740 sf. You would need to use at least 1000 sf for a double garage and the garage suite. That leaves you with 740 sf for the main building. Even if you build a two story box with no veranda, you will get 1480 sf at most.

In short, you do want to build as much square footage as possible, to bring down the per sf cost. Otherwise, you lose big $$$.

2) Foundation design. You can't use slab on grade as a foundation for your living quarter. You have to at least use a grade beam system. If you build a grade level suite, the cost is substantially more. And you will still have the extra slab to pour and insulation problems. Unless, you build a basement for the garage suite.
    404m2 lot is a pretty small one. I wouldnt try a garage suite on that. 600m2 is more typical in the majority of the neighbourhoods I listed (ours is over 920m2). Accessory buildings can occupy 12% of that without a variance. That's 775 sq ft. That's plenty of room for a double garage with a two story suite attached to it (200 sq ft at grade, 400 above grade), or a triple garage with a suite above it.

In regards to the foundation, you would have to use a grade beam system regardless whether the suite was at grade or above grade. Sub slab insulation, insulation wings off the grade beam...it's all doable.

If you're building from a clean slate, which is the case if you demo and rebuild, then you'd likely have done a grade beam for the garage anyways. That's what the vast majority of infills do, even the cheaper ones.

For comparison, we are doing a triple with a suite above it tucked under the gable. The whole garage and suite cost is about 85K. That's with an unfinished suite. I was planning on DIY that with a cost of about 30-35K. I did have costing done comparing a triple garage with a triple garage/suite and the increment to a finished suite is about 70-75K.

Ideally I would want a 1.5 story split-level type, with the "ground floor" sunk half a story down. This is common in the nicer designs in Vancouver. Unfortunately our outdated LUB only allows a 1 story garden suite.

I don't want a garage suite at all. I want a garden suite. I don't completely agree with your cost/sq foot. I think that is an oversimplification. An extremely nice 800sq ft laneway suite that feels like a private little home of its own will rent for far more than a 1000 sq ft box set on top of an ugly garage. I would be willing to pay more per sq ft because the capitalization rate of a laneway suite is better.

Looks like it is impossible without variances though, and I have no idea if they would recognize my "green parking spot" scheme. Someday I'll probably try out the idea.

Edit: Like this, except without the wing on the side to the right of the kitchen. Just a bit smaller. Picture this size lot (which fits on 33' in Van) on a 700-900 sq m lot in Edmonton. More room on either side, and where that car is parked is a gate that opens up into the back yard, where I would have a "green parking slab" tandem spot.

http://www.lanefab.com/laneway-house-designs/
    Last edited by Jaerdo; 02-10-2015 at 10:14 AM.

An extremely nice 800sq ft laneway suite that feels like a private little home of its own will rent for far more than a 1000 sq ft box set on top of an ugly garage. I would be willing to pay more per sq ft because the capitalization rate of a laneway suite is better.
    I don't think either an 800 sqft or a 1000 sqft suite are going to be allowed. 645sqft is your max. I think being on top of the garage is preferable. At grade all your windows are going to be looking at fences and garage doors. Above grade, you're going to be looking at trees.
    Either way, I would argue that a garage suite is more appealing than a basement suite and even a walkup apartment. Its essentially a single family home with attached garage, though you don't get use of the garage.

It's not essentially a single family home. It's The Fonz, not the Cunninghams.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Nobody wants to live in a garage suite. They are ugly, the first thought that comes to mind is noise with cars going in and out, and they don't feel private.

The laneway suite I'm talking about would feel like a true home. The window issues would be no different than the main building itself.

I'm aware of the size restrictions which is why I noted it is impossible without a variance. Hopefully the LUB changes. If not, the only hope is high quality finishes and a great design will sway the SDAB. Either way, I'm in no rush to try this right now. Maybe the next boom.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    It's not essentially a single family home. It's The Fonz, not the Cunninghams.
    As a renter, yes it would be. No neighbours above, below or beside. No stinky hallways, windows and natural light on 4 sides instead of 1 (2 if you get a corner unit).

Regardless, there's a couple threads on garage and laneway suites already. This is about builders who do infill and mature area building.

There's a house down the street from me that has a drive-thru garage (two overhead doors opposite of each other) to provide a third parking spot in the back yard. They have a basement suite, not a garage suite. Another house still under construction has a garage suite with a car lift, which SDAB accepted as a third parking spot (the city didn't).

^ Very cool. Do you know if the lift goes up and takes sq footage out of the unit? It would be neat if you could have a lift that goes down with a platform on top, allowing you to stack cars in a "garage basement". No lost space then, though it would be very expensive.

It's about $10-15k for a lift, including the lift itself & yeah, you can go up or down.

I'm no expert, but I did a chunk of research on how to loophole the CoE parking requirements on an infill build & I've got a bunch of stuff saved at home on them. I'm looking at getting a vehicle that's not really suitable year-round in Canada so throwing it on a lift & tucking it away for the winter seems like a good solution.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Nobody wants to live in a garage suite. They are ugly, the first thought that comes to mind is noise with cars going in and out, and they don't feel private.

The laneway suite I'm talking about would feel like a true home. The window issues would be no different than the main building itself.

I'm aware of the size restrictions which is why I noted it is impossible without a variance. Hopefully the LUB changes. If not, the only hope is high quality finishes and a great design will sway the SDAB. Either way, I'm in no rush to try this right now. Maybe the next boom.
    Where are you going to put your garage with that?

And no, renters don't want a garden suite. They want a garage suite. Even renters need to drive.

^ Ideally I would have a tiny garage attached to the laneway suite, but that is almost definitely out given size requirements. I would actually like to build an ultra-high end laneway suite and live in it myself, then rent the "main" house, seeing as I don't need much space.

This is the dream, currently impossible due to LUB reqs:

http://www.lanefab.com/laneway-house...rds-lane-house

I don't agree that renters need to drive. This would be a 10 minute bus ride to the U of A. I'll provide bike storage.

Anyhow, now I am spamming another thread with off-topic pictures. You're going to get my wrists slapped.
    Last edited by Jaerdo; 02-10-2015 at 11:36 AM.

It doesn't have to be ugly:
    https://www.google.ca/maps/@53.52808...7i13312!8i6656

^ That is definitely better than 99% of them, but I don't think it is remotely as appealing as a high-end laneway suite. The big issue as well is that renters are going to immediately picture cars coming in and out waking them up.

I don't agree that renters need to drive. This would be a 10 minute bus ride to the U of A. I'll provide bike storage.
    Well, as one landlord, you are not in the position to judge if renters need to drive.

If you offer a no-parking rental, you have just reduced your market exposure by 80%. That's all.

^ Not concerned at all. Plenty of people don't drive. We need people willing to take a risk on good-quality development to start change happening and move our urban form away from car-centrism.

In my opinion it should be MY choice whether or not I want parking spots on MY property. If I take the risk and can't find a renter, that is only my problem. The city should not be making us develop garbage, ugly properties just for the sake of cars. FYI - I ideally would have a parking spot. I just wouldn't give it to a renter.

^ Not concerned at all. Plenty of people don't drive. We need people willing to take a risk on good-quality development to start change happening and move our urban form away from car-centrism.

In my opinion it should be MY choice whether or not I want parking spots on MY property. If I take the risk and can't find a renter, that is only my problem. The city should not be making us develop garbage, ugly properties just for the sake of cars. FYI - I ideally would have a parking spot. I just wouldn't give it to a renter.
    I have no objection with your statement "it should be MY choice whether or not I want parking spots on MY property".

But regarding your previous statement that "I don't agree that renters need to drive", no, you have no input in how others choose to commute.

None of my 3 renters downtown are currently using their parking stalls that they were paying for & I've actually rented them out to other owners in the buildings at more than what my renters were previously paying for them.

I have no objection with your statement "it should be MY choice whether or not I want parking spots on MY property".

But regarding your previous statement that "I don't agree that renters need to drive", no, you have no input in how others choose to commute.

What I mean to say is that I don't agree that I need to cater to renters who drive. I meant that I don't think it is impossible to attract non-driving renters, and I don't feel the need to do so.

^ Very cool. Do you know if the lift goes up and takes sq footage out of the unit? It would be neat if you could have a lift that goes down with a platform on top, allowing you to stack cars in a "garage basement". No lost space then, though it would be very expensive.
    I think the car takes away space from the suite, but I'm not 100% sure. It's still under construction, but next time I see the owner I'll ask him if I can have a tour. I think the garage suite is pretty small, and the owner was actually planning to use it as his office for now (choosing to not rent it out).

It's about $10-15k for a lift, including the lift itself & yeah, you can go up or down.
    They're not that expensive. You can get one for 3 or 4K if you want to assemble yourself. No piles are required, they go right on the slab. If you have 9' ceilings, you should be able to fit two cars above each other. If you have more than a basic sedan (taller), then you'd need more headroom. They're not for working on your car, just storing it.

They're not that expensive. You can get one for 3 or 4K if you want to assemble yourself.
    Yeah, not all of us wanna DIY it. I was just giving a rough ballpark for all-in through a contractor.

Guess you can scratch Infiniti homes off the list of infill builders (not Infinity homes)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...pute-1.3536338

"I've been in and out of this business for about 27 years, dealing with hotels, condos, townhomes, thousands of homes," he says. "I'd have to say he's probably by far the most challenging client I've ever had to deal with. He expects absolute perfection."
    Hahaha, I guess no one else in those 27 year noticed an entire window covered up with drywall from the inside. What complete clown did he hire to do a job that messed up?

Don't know if I'd want to do business with someone who brags about being 'in and out of business' as something that happens with regular occurrence. "I've been in and out of rehab..."

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Perfection is required. Or as close to it as possible. This guy is a clown. What an embarrassment to the industry.

I can see how a drywaller could forget to cut out the third window and nobody would notice for a while. No excuse for not fixing it promptly though - 10 minutes to cut out the drywall, an hour or less to install the window trim, then paint it and the job is done.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Just saw hundreds of thousands of liens filed against Infiniti in the latest Business Prospects publication. As the CBC article said, they'll be out of business shortly I would imagine.

Wowzers. That's a mess.

Hundreds of thousands of leans? How is that possible?

C2E Posting Power

Dollars worth, I'm assuming

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Sorry, yeah, dollars! Roughly 20-30 liens from 4-5 different suppliers.

Still a significant number of leans.

I have to wonder if the home warranty needs to go further and force suppliers to put up securities to the New Home Warranty providers in addition to the builders. They are the ones doing the work that isn't meeting the grade.

Guess you can scratch Infiniti homes off the list of infill builders (not Infinity homes)

No they just changed their name to Infiniti developments and nobody is the wiser.
    I guess they are hoping most people won't connect the two companies.
    www.revvtownhomes.ca Jonathan Letourneau and Rae Enos are the President and CEO of Infiniti Homes and are the ones behind this project as well.

C2E Super Addict

Not sure of the name of the company that did this? I believe Gord Lacey can fill interested parties in on the details (I believe he indirectly helped in the design phase).

"The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

******ATTENTION*****
    Jonathan Letourneau the former president of Infiniti Homes has now started building houses again! He Is the President of a company Called Elegant Finishing LTD. they are building houses in Beaumont. It's unbelievable that less than a year after screwing over a bunch of honest companies and homeowners he's allowed to do it again.
    Spread the word and stay away from this crook!

Quote Originally Posted by Leroyhotdogzanzibar View Post
    ******ATTENTION*****
    Jonathan Letourneau the former president of Infiniti Homes has now started building houses again! He Is the President of a company Called Elegant Finishing LTD. they are building houses in Beaumont. It's unbelievable that less than a year after screwing over a bunch of honest companies and homeowners he's allowed to do it again.
    Of course he is allowed to do it again. I mean, the city has just encouraged him to do it again, by allowing the house not to be demolished.

Quote Originally Posted by Leroyhotdogzanzibar View Post
    ******ATTENTION*****
    Of course he is allowed to do it again. I mean, the city has just encouraged him to do it again, by allowing the house not to be demolished.
    I don't think there was anything wrong with the houses he built (aside from the windows that were drywalled over). Just that he didn't pay his bills.