Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Edmonton CMA Population Reaches 1,290,000

C2E SME

Add up Camrose, Westlock, Lamont, Bruderheim, Vegreville, Millet and Wetaskiwin and you have about 75,000 people.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Edmonton and Calgary as one population centre? That's a stretch.

I'd rather C2E than work!

What? I was just saying if the Feds include High River in Calgarys CMA population then we should be able to include Wetaskiwin, Millet and area as Wetaskiwin and High River are the same distance from the downtown core.

I'd rather C2E than work!

The Calgary-Edmonton Corridor is a census area with statscan. As of May 2016 it was at 3,075,233 so almost two years later it's likely around 3.2 mil.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I saw this Statscan link on another web site and took a look. http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/91-214-...018000-eng.pdf I was surprised to see that Edmonton Metro had a substantially smaller "Natural Increase" than Calgary's. I was also under the impression that Calgary and Edmonton Metro birth numbers have been virtually identical for several years so does this mean we are dying at a faster rate than Calgarians?

No. Migration...
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    No. Migration...
    No - Natural increase, Look at the link.

I was curious so found some numbers on the Alberta gov website. https://regionaldashboard.alberta.ca...518&val=1,6697. It's broken down by municipality so you have to figure it out by adding numbers from metro cities/counties but it does appear that we are very close in births but dying faster. (Edit) Tried the link but you need to click top bar of table to put in population order. The link didn't keep the order.
    Last edited by Krokwalk; 23-03-2018 at 12:26 PM.

^^
    That was in reference to the dying. Both cities have always been neck and neck since I moved to Canada in 1979. We were ahead up until the mid 90ish, and now Calgary is ahead. Apparently the future growth for Alberta is Edmonton and north, so expect that cycle to return to our favor soon.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    ^^
    That was in reference to the dying. Both cities have always been neck and neck since I moved to Canada in 1979. We were ahead up until the mid 90ish, and now Calgary is ahead. Apparently the future growth for Alberta is Edmonton and north, so expect that cycle to return to our favor soon.
    I was referring to "Natural Increase" which is births minus deaths and the link shows clearly that we had more immigration than Calgary so I still don't get what your point is.
    Last edited by Krokwalk; 23-03-2018 at 01:49 PM.

C2E SME

Edmonton might have a slightly older population because of a larger number of senior's care and health care facilities attracting older/sicker citizens from surrounding communities and the North of the province. Although if you click on Edmonton, you end on a page where it shows that 2014 was a really big spike over previous years (6,700 deaths vs. ~5000 most of the previous 10 years). That does seem unusual: https://regionaldashboard.alberta.ca...m=2005&to=2014

Thanks Marcel - I was trying to find the year by year stats but they seem to have quit in 2014. I just thought it strange since we had one of the younger populations in Canada but a seemingly higher death rate but as you say there are a lot of senior facilities here.

Quote Originally Posted by Krokwalk View Post
    Thanks Marcel - I was trying to find the year by year stats but they seem to have quit in 2014. I just thought it strange since we had one of the younger populations in Canada but a seemingly higher death rate but as you say there are a lot of senior facilities here.
    I believe we do have a younger population compared to most places in Canada, but Calgary's is a bit younger than ours I recall from the last time I say stats on this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12