Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edmonton CMA Population Reaches 1,290,000

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Default Edmonton CMA Population Reaches 1,290,000

Okay to be precise, 1,289,564 as of July 1, 2013, rounded to the closest one thousand. Link: http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/91-214-...0/t001-eng.htm

That's up 48,000 from July 1, 2012, a figure that was itself revised upward by 11,000 from last year's estimate.

While metro Edmonton has experienced a more rapid rate of growth in the past (1950s and 1970s), these are record levels of growth in population numbers.

Causing me to rethink my opposition to the City of Edmonton annexation proposal in its entirety. Perhaps a partial annexation down to Township Road 510 west of the QE2 is warranted even with increased efforts to curb sprawl.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Only about 16k to surpass Ottawa.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I'd rather C2E than work!

Keep in mind March 1, 2014 is 8 months later so we may well be around 1,321,000 if growing at the same rate since July 1

Those are some pretty significant revisions from the numbers on this table. One more year like last and we'll have surpassed Ottawa.

And if you combine Calgary and Edmonton we are now the 3rd largest population center in Canada.

One could make the argument that our Cencus area should follow the QE2... the corridor is very fluid. With my entire family living along it.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

sure, and if you combine Ottawa and Montreal... you get the a bigger population center too.

6 I don't know much about that corridor but I would say that the QE2 is so interdependent that if you removed either end of it there would be serious repercussions. Ottawa seems very independent from Montreal... and vice versa.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Statistics Canada considers Edmonton, Red Deer and Calgary as separate economic regions. In 2013, there combined population surpassed 3 million. Link: http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/91-214-...0/t079-eng.htm

This is more populous than the Lower Mainland economic region which has a 2013 population of 2.8 million. Link: http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/91-214-...0/t080-eng.htm

But the Lower Mainland corridor is considerably more compact (Vancouver to Hope is 150 kilometers) than the Edmonton-Red Deer-Calgary corridor (High River to Legal is 415 kilometers).
    Last edited by East McCauley; 26-02-2014 at 11:13 AM.

Considering the employment opportunities which centres around Edmonton and the north, im not relly surprised; this explosive trend might continued for the next 5 yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    Okay to be precise, 1,289,564 as of July 1, 2013, rounded to the closest one thousand. Link: http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/91-214-...0/t001-eng.htm

That's up 48,000 from July 1, 2012, a figure that was itself revised upward by 11,000 from last year's estimate.

While metro Edmonton has experienced a more rapid rate of growth in the past (1950s and 1970s), these are record levels of growth in population numbers.

Causing me to rethink my opposition to the City of Edmonton annexation proposal in its entirety. Perhaps a partial annexation down to Township Road 510 west of the QE2 is warranted even with increased efforts to curb sprawl.
    Good growth. Now add another 700 000 and we'd be set

Doing the math we arrived at 1,321,000 for March 1 so they are coming, they are coming.

It isn't the annexation that matters, it's how the land is developed. And lately I would say the City is doing a more intense land use than the County of Leduc typically.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

C2E SME

Since 2006, Edmonton and Calgary have grown by about 20%, with honourable mention going to Regina and Saskatoon. If these numbers continue at this rate, Edmonton will be near 1.6 million by 2020.

For Edmonton, my guess is that development will take place along Anthony Henday Drive, Leduc, Beaumont, Sturgeon County, Bremner (Strathcona County), and higher density near the downtown core.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    And if you combine Calgary and Edmonton we are now the 3rd largest population center in Canada.

One could make the argument that our Cencus area should follow the QE2... the corridor is very fluid. With my entire family living along it.
    You make an extremely good point , the extreme fluidity of the region has a big economic multiplier effect. You have a young mobile population on an easy to travel corridor . How many of us think much of a drive between Edmonton and Red Deer or Calgary ? The people and goods flow on the QE2 are impressive at any given time.

What about city population for Edmonton itself ?
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Quote Originally Posted by Hull534 View Post

You make an extremely good point , the extreme fluidity of the region has a big economic multiplier effect. You have a young mobile population on an easy to travel corridor . How many of us think much of a drive between Edmonton and Red Deer or Calgary ? The people and goods flow on the QE2 are impressive at any given time.
    And we should start looking things like infrastructure spending per capita and how it sizes up against places like Vancouver.... I am sure you will find us lagging.

Administrator *

Quote Originally Posted by jagators63 View Post
    We will find that out this year sometime once Edmonton has finished the municipal census.

If recent trends continue, probably north of 860k but south of 900.
    ... gobsmacked

Conservative estimates would put it at a 20,000 person increase a year. A bullish one would be 30-35,000

The growth has in no way made for a better city, just a more sprawling, harried, and jammed one.

Bodies are just bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvazquez7 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jagators63 View Post
    We will find that out this year sometime once Edmonton has finished the municipal census.
    speaking of the municipal cesus, the city is looking to temporarily hire a lot of people to go door to door.

Conservative estimates would put it at a 20,000 person increase a year. A bullish one would be 30-35,000
    My guess is based on three years of 2% compounded from 812k in 2011.
    ... gobsmacked

^ Last five years was 12% growth I believe. I am not sure if that is the region or the city... Edit.. the city was apx 11% while the region was 12

I know as a percentage our growth is a bit lower than some of our neighbors on our boarders.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 27-02-2014 at 11:28 AM.

http://capitalregionboard.ab.ca/-/re...pulation_e.pdf

This is old but it shows out projections in the past have been very conservative.

Well, 5*2 would work out to 10% growth.

BUT, 5*2 compounded - 12% sounds about right.
    ... gobsmacked

The CMA is growing about 40,000 people a year. Calgary is apx 60,000.

just more numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by AShetsen View Post
    The growth has in no way made for a better city...
    Speak for yourself.

The growth has in no way made for a better city, just a more sprawling, harried, and jammed one.

Bodies are just bodies.
    Do you have kids? If so then you're part of what you see as a problem. If not, don't.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I started working as CFO for a rapidly growing small/medium sized business in the City in August 2013. The day I started we had 40 employees. Today I just hired a girl from Montreal to be our 70th employee. Of the 30 new employees we have hired in the last 6 months, 19 of them are from outside Alberta. It is really unbelievable what is happening in Edmonton right now!

The CMA is growing about 40,000 people a year. Calgary is apx 60,000.

just more numbers.
    These might be just numbers but in fact Calgary was about 57000 and Edmonton was about 48000 last year and over the last 7 years Calgary averaged around 34000 per year and Edmonton about 31000 per year. This also doesn't take into account that Edmonton substantially out built (home wise) Calgary in 2013. Calgary - 12584, Edmonton - 14689.

^ its best to look at long term trends instead of small numbers however.

Housing starts also have to be looked over the long term.... Lets also not forget that Calgary is stuggling back and forth with a lot of things regarding their housing and city growth.

Bodies are just bodies.
    No. Some bodies like hockey. Other bodies like ballet. etc.

Ultimately more bodies mean more consumer choice for the rest of us already-here bodies.
    ... gobsmacked

This is old but it shows out projections in the past have been very conservative.
    Those projections really are out to lunch. We probably (almost certainly) beat their 2018 projection by the end of 2013. That's bad when you only projected 10 years ahead and are out by 5 years.
    Last edited by Krokwalk; 27-02-2014 at 02:54 PM.

^ the really good projections done by the city have 3 scenarios low med and hi growth..

^If we are 1,320,000 TODAY and they give a number like 1.8 m in 35 years well that's just plain redicilously low. I say more like 3 million by then. We more than doubled in the last 35.

You cant take the highest number and assume its the trend.... not yet at least.

Using the city's historical 2% annual growth rate ... compounded = 1.8 million in 17 years, a bit north of 2.5 million in 35.
    ... gobsmacked

I guess we'll see, I guess you guys will see. Wish I could but I'll be long gone by then.

Edmonton's population has grown from 148 people in 1878 to 817,498 in 2012.

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...n-history.aspx
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Who cares about the population increase if the growth isn't smart?

The growth in population will not benefit the city or citizens unless its managed properly. Huge growth in the suburbs won't really add anything for those looking for the benefits of living in a bigger city. The way we're growing, for the most part, is only adding up to increased congestion and cost for maintaining infrastructure.
    The growth needs to be geared towards increasing density in central urban neighbourhoods while increasing accessibility of the downtown to suburbanites through transit.

The council's been wise about this in recent years but the provincial government has repeatedly demonstrated itself as useless.
    Go down a few dark alleys.

^ and on that derail attempt, let C2E Sprawl Debate #5973 commence.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Krokwalk View Post

Those projections really are out to lunch. We probably (almost certainly) beat their 2018 projection by the end of 2013. That's bad when you only projected 10 years ahead and are out by 5 years.
    The Capital Region Board did publish updated population and employment projections last fall. See pages 12 and 13 for the low and high population projections.
    Link: http://capitalregionboard.ab.ca/-/me...rojections.pdf

The CRB did underestimate its 2009 projections which were done during a slowdown caused by the world financial crisis. The Fall 2013 projections were done during a time of rapid growth.

In doing projections there is always a tendency to predict the future based on the recent past. The only certainty is that Edmonton's economic fortunes (and future population growth) are closely tied to energy prices, especially bitumen.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    ^ and on that derail attempt, let C2E Sprawl Debate #5973 commence.

...and even on 8 mg of hydromorphone...I don't have the patience for that either.
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

C2E SME

Get well Richard.

Add another 48,000 plus to July 1 2014 = 1,337,000 plus so we are at 1,350,000 for September 2014 realistically. Holy Cow!!

.[/QUOTE]

Add another 48,000 plus to July 1 2014 = 1,337,000 plus so we are at 1,350,000 for September 2014 realistically. Holy Cow!![/QUOTE]

I would expect Edmonton CMA to overtake Ottawa CMA in the July 2014 CMA update that will come out later this year or early next year making us the 5th largest city in the nation once again.

Dan Grummett @DGrummettCTV

With 1,328,290 people, #yeg has surpassed Ottawa in pop. by census metro area, according to @StatCan_eng. @ctvedmonton

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quoti...11a001-eng.htm
    Last edited by sonicboom; 11-02-2015 at 10:54 AM.

Yeah, big deal! (Seriously.) Back at number five. And not a year too soon, given the likely slowdown in growth for the next while. Gotta love the instant gratification of new stats listed online. Suck it, Ottawa.

Realistically though, the Edmonton, Calgary and Ottawa metros are all within 6% of each other.

www.decl.org

Be interesting to see the population trends from the past 50 years. There was a time, say 40 or 50 ago, when Montreal and Winnipeg were 1st and 4th respectively.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

www.decl.org

We are seven months after July 1 so likely over 1,350,000 now, my estimate
    Last edited by Drumbones; 12-02-2015 at 10:26 AM.

Dunno 'bout anyone else, but I was, well, gobsmacked.

Last I'd ever heard we were kinda, sorta, maybe 1.1 million. 250k later ....

Has anyone told Air Canada? Oh, never mind.
    ... gobsmacked

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    Dunno 'bout anyone else, but I was, well, gobsmacked.

Last I'd ever heard we were kinda, sorta, maybe 1.1 million. 250k later ....

Has anyone told Air Canada? Oh, never mind.
    I think AC keeps looking at our 1961 population by mistake, only logical answer I can think of lol.

Neat seeing the historical statistics. Thank you for that.

For me, amazing to see a couple of things :

1) Calgary overtaking Edmonton in the 90's in population. A dark time for Edmonton and a bright one for Calgary, but now 20 years later Edmonton is catching up. The difference in actual populations, rather than growth rates, probably won't be much different between the two cities in long run. Still neat to see.

2)Toronto overtaking Montreal. A little sad, as the latter city is the far more interesting of the two, but not surprising with the turmoil politics of the era.

3) Edmonton is just about where Vancouver was in the early 80's, and has a faster growth rate. That blows my mind a little, because I happened to go to Expo '86 in Vancouver, and be old enough to remember it. There'll always be the Lorne Gunters and Kerry Diottes, naysayers with windshield tunnel vision, but is it so wrong to dream Edmonton can be something bigger than it currently is? We have or are getting the population and diversity. We have great talent incubators in UoA and NAIT. "World class" may be over-used, but how about big thinking? And attractive? Dream a little, and it really isn't so unrealistic to imagine Edmonton hosting the Winter Olympics in 2034 when Edmonton may be the same size city Vancouver was in 2010, and far bigger city than Calgary was in 1988.

C2E SME

Calgary and Edmonton (together) grew by the same numbers as Toronto.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eyes View Post
    Neat seeing the historical statistics. Thank you for that.

For me, amazing to see a couple of things :

1) Calgary overtaking Edmonton in the 90's in population. A dark time for Edmonton and a bright one for Calgary, but now 20 years later Edmonton is catching up. The difference in actual populations, rather than growth rates, probably won't be much different between the two cities in long run. Still neat to see.

2)Toronto overtaking Montreal. A little sad, as the latter city is the far more interesting of the two, but not surprising with the turmoil politics of the era.

3) Edmonton is just about where Vancouver was in the early 80's, and has a faster growth rate. That blows my mind a little, because I happened to go to Expo '86 in Vancouver, and be old enough to remember it. There'll always be the Lorne Gunters and Kerry Diottes, naysayers with windshield tunnel vision, but is it so wrong to dream Edmonton can be something bigger than it currently is? We have or are getting the population and diversity. We have great talent incubators in UoA and NAIT. "World class" may be over-used, but how about big thinking? And attractive? Dream a little, and it really isn't so unrealistic to imagine Edmonton hosting the Winter Olympics in 2034 when Edmonton may be the same size city Vancouver was in 2010, and far bigger city than Calgary was in 1988.
    Sure lets just start off with something nice, a bit smaller, like our own Expo, or build out our infrastructure or resources for the Commonwealth Games..

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Calgary and Edmonton (together) grew by the same numbers as Toronto.
    And each grew by more than Vancouver, which I find surprising.

Also Calgary grew by more than Montreal - and Edmonton by almost as much. Maybe not as surprising.

Good though to see Montreal back up over 4 million. Love that place.
    ... gobsmacked

Back over four million?

C2E SME

Vancouver had the first line of the Skytrain open in 1986, and has grown by 1 million people. BC Place opened in 1983, perhaps the first revitalization project on False Creek.

Vancouver had the first line of the Skytrain open in 1986, and has grown by 1 million people. BC Place opened in 1983, perhaps the first revitalization project on False Creek.
    How do you feel think this compares to Edmonton? See any parallels?

C2E SME

Edmonton is starting to mature into a major Canadian (and North American) city. Like Vancouver was in the past, Edmonton is not as isolated as people think.

I know there is talk of StatsCan increasing Calgarys CMA area for the next census, and it makes sense. The Municipal District of Foothills borders Calgary to the south and has never been included. This means Okotoks, High River , Turner Valley and Black Diamond as well. It is very surprising that Okotoks has not been included yet, it's right there and full of commuters that work in Calgary. This area would be about a 75,000 person add on.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 13-02-2015 at 11:14 AM.

If that happens we best add on Millet and Wetaskiwin, Pigeon Lake area, maybe Camrose. Even it out.lol

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

How does Calgary just randomly make such a decision and we couldn't get it without beating someone up to get it. It's ridiculous. At least Leduc, Sherwood Park, St Albert.

My understanding is that StatsCan determines what is part of a CMA based on the percentage of people in the MD of Foothills that travel to Calgary to work. Calgary doesn't make the decision.

Looking on StatsCanada there is more to it than that.

Here is what Stats Canada says.
    Last edited by SP59; 13-02-2015 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    How does Calgary just randomly make such a decision and we couldn't get it without beating someone up to get it. It's ridiculous. At least Leduc, Sherwood Park, St Albert.
    They are in the CMA. As is Spruce Grove/Stony Plain, the Fort, Devon, Calmar, Thorsby, Warburg, Morinville, even Redwater I think.

I have heard about 5000 people from Wetaskiwin commute to Metro Edmonton each day to and from work. Many working Leduc/Nisku and EIA but a lot in the city too. 2A at rush hours is solid traffic. 5000 seems high as Wetaskiwin has only 13,000 population. There are a lot of acreage dwellers north of and around town though, but in town I would guess 4000 commute. Millet too, their motto is "A Commuters Paradise". Wetaskiwin/Millet area should be included in the CMA imo.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 13-02-2015 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post

Sure lets just start off with something nice, a bit smaller, like our own Expo, or build out our infrastructure or resources for the Commonwealth Games..
    I was making more of a general comment of what the city is capable of doing, but agree we'll need a smaller but still world-class event first before hosting an Olympics.

Edmonton is becoming a big city, with a young and diverse population, but there's still a rather 'backwater' stigma around it, which I believe is large in part from a lack of a tourism industry, and I think that leaves the city thinking smalltownish as well.

Just to give an example off top of my head, there is a lack of good wayfinding in the city, especially for people not driving, and a lack of public transit. A big event, whatever it is, gives us a chance to correct some of this.

Another example. Think of the top ten attractions in Edmonton in your mind. (We'll all be different here, but I don't think this matters for the point I'm making). Now imagine someone who just flew in for a weekend, for whatever reason, and is staying at a hotel downtown, with no car. Are these attractions well marketed and accessible to this person? Will these attractions be the image that this person will leave Edmonton with?
    Last edited by Snake Eyes; 13-02-2015 at 12:01 PM.

Modern, spreadout and frigidly cold for much of the year, Alberta’s second-largest city and capital is a demure government town that you’re more likely to read about in the business pages than the travel supplements. Maybe that’s why the city’s surprises, when (or if) you find them, are so delightful.
    Source: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/canada/alberta/edmonton

The damning with faint praise makes want to cringe, and yet, there's truth in it.

C2E SME

Edmonton has a lot of work to do, but I think that we're starting to invest the needed time, effort and money.

Whyte Ave dive diners?

Edmonton has a lot of work to do, but I think that we're starting to invest the needed time, effort and money.
    I agree. Hopefully the trend continues, and also we don't get too dinged by the oil slump .

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones
    Whyte Ave dive diners?
    Haha, after spending a year up North, you'd be surprised at how sophisticated and cosmopolitan a weekend on Whyte feels.

That Lonely Planet link on Edmo is hilariously accurate. Shines a light on a metro over 1 million but not looking and acting like it... I guess?
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

I've been traveling, backpacking, living in working in different cities for the last year and a half now and I think it would quite strange to visit Edmonton as someone using Lonely Planet to be honest.

I think that the culture of the city hasn't matured yet. With subsequent development and another 100k living in central areas, with more bars, cafes, little shops, street artists etc. the city would be more appealing to tourists. I always get a sense in Edmonton that it just needs more people in fewer places. On the plus side, that's the appeal of the city, everyone has an ability to help shape the identity of the city more so than an established city.
    Last edited by mnugent; 13-02-2015 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-re...&GK=CMA&GC=835

Census subdivisions in the Edmonton CMA
    Census subdivision (CSD) name Type Population
    2011 2006 % change
    Edmonton CY 812,201 730,372 11.2
    Strathcona County SM 92,490 82,511 12.1
    St. Albert CY 61,466 57,764 A 6.4
    Parkland County MD 30,568 29,220 A 4.6
    Spruce Grove CY 26,171 19,541 A 33.9
    Leduc CY 24,279 16,967 43.1
    Sturgeon County MD 19,578 18,566 A 5.5
    Fort Saskatchewan CY 19,051 14,957 27.4
    Stony Plain T 15,051 12,363 21.7
    Leduc County MD 13,541 13,135 A 3.1
    Beaumont T 13,284 8,961 48.2
    Morinville T 8,569 6,775 26.5
    Devon T 6,510 6,261 A 4.0
    Gibbons T 3,030 2,642 14.7
    Calmar T 1,970 1,959 0.6
    Redwater T 1,915 2,202 A -13.0
    Bon Accord T 1,488 1,534 -3.0
    Legal T 1,225 1,192 2.8
    Bruderheim T 1,155 1,215 -4.9
    Wabamun 133A IRI 1,069 1,088 -1.7
    Alexander 134 IRI 1,027 962 6.8
    Stony Plain 135 IRI 987 1,418 -30.4
    Thorsby VL 797 945 -15.7
    Warburg VL 789 621 27.1
    Wabamun VL 661 601 10.0
    Spring Lake VL 533 501 6.4
    Seba Beach SV 143 203 -29.6
    Golden Days SV 141 207 -31.9
    Sundance Beach SV 82 102 -19.6
    Lakeview SV 26 36 -27.8
    Itaska Beach SV 20 35 -42.9
    Wabamun 133B IRI 17 20 -15.0
    Point Alison SV 15 15 0.0
    Betula Beach SV 10 15 -33.3
    Kapasiwin SV 10 39 E -74.4
    Last edited by kkozoriz; 13-02-2015 at 06:57 PM.

Judging by the posts we have so many great things to look forward to in the future. It is all beginning to really happen.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Let me rephrase the statement... Why does Calgary get to annex surrounding communities while we have dozens of small cities/towns which are essentially Edmonton but not? We have other threads on annexation so I don't actually want a response. It just seems Calgary doesn't have any problem getting their way when it comes to their borders whereas here it's the cause of major burdens on the region.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eyes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post

I was making more of a general comment of what the city is capable of doing, but agree we'll need a smaller but still world-class event first before hosting an Olympics.

Edmonton is becoming a big city, with a young and diverse population, but there's still a rather 'backwater' stigma around it, which I believe is large in part from a lack of a tourism industry, and I think that leaves the city thinking smalltownish as well.

Just to give an example off top of my head, there is a lack of good wayfinding in the city, especially for people not driving, and a lack of public transit. A big event, whatever it is, gives us a chance to correct some of this.

Another example. Think of the top ten attractions in Edmonton in your mind. (We'll all be different here, but I don't think this matters for the point I'm making). Now imagine someone who just flew in for a weekend, for whatever reason, and is staying at a hotel downtown, with no car. Are these attractions well marketed and accessible to this person? Will these attractions be the image that this person will leave Edmonton with?
    I was just making a snarky comment that we can't even get federal/provincial support for these smaller events that we are more than capable of handling. I could honestly care less about the Commonwealth Games coming to our city (I guess I'd more than likely take in as many events as I could), but I know that type of event (with the necessary provincial/federal support) is what we need to fast track necessary infrastructure to keep us accelerating to the point you are talking about 20 or 30 years down the road.

Annual population estimates by census metropolitan area, July 1, 2015

Just released figures by StatsCan

population estimates Canada 35,851,774 All census metropolitan areas 25,164,126 Abbotsford–Mission 183,522 Barrie 202,704 Brantford 143,864 Calgary 1,439,756 Edmonton 1,363,277 Greater Sudbury 164,815 Guelph 152,951 Halifax 417,847 Hamilton 771,703 Kelowna 197,274 Kingston 169,934 Kitchener–Cambridge–Waterloo 511,319 London 506,418 Moncton 147,968 Montréal 4,060,692 Oshawa 388,956 Ottawa–Gatineau 1,332,001 Ottawa–Gatineau, Ontario part 1,001,197 Ottawa–Gatineau, Quebec part 330,804 Peterborough 122,566 Québec 806,359 Regina 241,422 Saguenay 159,958 Saint John 126,912 Saskatoon 304,975 Sherbrooke 214,485 St. Catharines–Niagara 408,222 St. John's 214,285 Thunder Bay 124,742 Toronto 6,129,934 Trois-Rivières 156,419 Vancouver 2,504,340 Victoria 365,291 Windsor 335,787 Winnipeg 793,428
    Just released figures by StatsCan
    Last edited by Drumbones; 11-02-2016 at 11:08 AM.

We went from 1,328,290 to 1,363,277 and actually closed the gap between Calgary and us by 1952 people compared to a year earlier.( difference of 76,479 compared to 78,431 a year earlier)

^ Except that Stats Can has updated our 2014 estimate, too. So apparently we're still losing ground ... for now.

Year 2012 2013 2014 2015
    Calgary (Alta.) 1,307.5 1,357.8 1,406.0 1,439.8
    Edmonton (Alta.) 1,241.8 1,286.0 1,331.6 1,363.3

so the gap stayed about the same but still that's good on us

In the 2016 official census we may hit 1,400,000 but......maybe not with the downturn in the economy. It will be real close though.

C2E SME

We were around 1 million ten years ago.

Latest figures from statistics canada. Canada 36,708,083
    All census metropolitan areas 25,893,686
    Abbotsford–Mission 190,714
    Barrie 209,081
    Brantford 147,489
    Calgary 1,488,841
    Edmonton 1,411,945
    Greater Sudbury / Grand Sudbury 165,270
    Guelph 159,988
    Halifax 431,701
    Hamilton 787,195
    Kelowna 202,208
    Kingston 173,862
    Kitchener–Cambridge–Waterloo 527,765
    London 521,756
    Moncton 152,169
    Montréal 4,138,254
    Oshawa 402,399
    Ottawa–Gatineau 1,377,016
    Ottawa–Gatineau, Ontario part 1,040,346
    Ottawa–Gatineau, Quebec part 336,670
    Peterborough 126,291
    Québec 812,205
    Regina 253,220
    Saguenay 159,258
    Saint John 128,541
    Saskatoon 323,809
    Sherbrooke 218,633
    St. Catharines–Niagara 416,539
    St. John's 219,207
    Thunder Bay 124,164
    Toronto 6,346,088
    Trois-Rivières 158,942
    Vancouver 2,571,262
    Victoria 377,414
    Windsor 344,747
    Winnipeg 825,713

Although we're not the fastest growing along with Calgary anymore, I think the biggest news is that our metro area has now passed Ottawa's. Last census data said we were pretty close. I think visually, with all the new development, and statistically, with these new numbers, the rest of Canada will hopefully start seeing us in a new light.

Fifth biggest city is great, adds more credibility.

Edmonton surpasses Calgary in population in... 2023?

One thing I never thought of until now is I wonder if our metro population could ever surpass Calgary's. Growth within Calgary might be fairly limited but Edmonton has so many bedroom communities that maybe it is possible in the next 10 years...hmm...

So edmonton and calgary grow approximately 49100 people in one year literally in lockstep with a spread of 147 people? I realize this is a government census (so it's suppose to be bulletproof in their mythology?)but I say bs. Is this what crea numbers show?

^The numbers in post #87 are population estimates done annually by Statistics Canada, not census numbers which are actual population counts done every five years most recently in 2016.

Demographers consider the population estimates to more closely reflect the actual population of a CMA than the census data.

A census is based on actually going out and counting people. There are always several per cent who manage to elude the enumerators and fail to be included in the census count. This is called census net undercoverage.

There is no reason to mistrust the 2017 population numbers released by Statistics Canada today. They may be estimates but the methodology used ensures they are highly accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmontonian108 View Post
    One thing I never thought of until now is I wonder if our metro population could ever surpass Calgary's. Growth within Calgary might be fairly limited but Edmonton has so many bedroom communities that maybe it is possible in the next 10 years...hmm...
    This is not likely. All of Edmonton's bedroom communities and the four surrounding counties are included in the population of our CMA.

Calgary's CMA does not include the towns of Okotoks and High River or the MD of Foothills. Perhaps as early as 2021, these communities will be included in the Calgary CMA and the population differential with the Edmonton CMA will grow, not shrink.

^Okotoks and High River should be part of Calgary's CMA imo.

C2E SME

I wonder if communities like Red Deer or Kelowna will get their own CMAs next census.

I'm thinking if the Calgary CMA is adjusted to south of High River that ours should be adjusted to south of Wetaskiwin. Wetaskiwin and High River are the same distance from the downtown. Their urban ends at Heritage Point. Our urban ends at Southfork. It is 35 kilometers from Heritage Point to High River and 31 kilometers from Southfork to Wetaskiwin. It would be about equal. Millet and Wetaskiwin and all those acreages around and between is a fairly large population. Downtown Wetaskiwin to downtown Edmonton is 42 miles and downtown High River to downtown Calgary is 41.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 13-02-2018 at 11:36 PM.

Red Deer is over 100k now, and I would guesstimate its metro would be 150k+

Doesn't Calgary have a wider radius to calculate its metro paradigm? I recall that was mentioned on one of the thread à long time ago.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

I wonder if communities like Red Deer or Kelowna will get their own CMAs next census.
    They could use Census division 8, Red Deer region, population 2016 census was 209,395.

Wow! Much higher than I thought. TY!
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Everything is higher than we think. Google Canada's population clock and you will see that it will be 37 million in a few weeks time. (Countrymeters.info canada) Then scroll down to the live meter.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 13-02-2018 at 11:44 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast