Thread: Tire Question

Default Tire Question

So I bought a new vehicle over the weekend and will be picking it up on Monday.

Just found out that we're in for about 2 inches of snow over the next couple of days and my only concern is the tires the vehicle comes with are from Bridgestone called the Turanzo 400 model, which I understand are a crap tire.

So I called Kal-tire to set up an appointment for Friday to install the Nokian's 17" wrg3's.

Has anyone used the bridgestone tires? I would hate to drive like a granny, but it appears I may have no choice considering the roads may be lousy and the cold air is socked in for another week.

Mind you, they say to take it easy with the engine for the first 1000 kms. So that may be my excuse.

I picked up a new truck in late January and have some sort of bridgestone all-seasons on (HOW DARE YOU HYPOCRITE)... they slip and slide all over the place, even worse when its cold. (Ya, I also need some weight on the back of the truck too) I will be putting winters on it come October/November.

What kinda vehicle did you get?

I bought a Nissan Altima coupe.

they're retiring the vehicle, so the model was on sale and I got an okay deal on my trade.

My mazda3 just doesn't cut it. too lightweight and even with the nokians the vehicle just doesn't hold its traction well in the snow.

I tested the Nissan where there was a very large ice patch in their parking lot where there were no vehicles and the vehicle stopped on a dime and sraight.

the mazda would have slid right through and off to the side.

Did you ask the dealer if they would install the tires for you before you picked up the car? There are a lot of people that don't take the factory tires. I don't see why a dealer wouldn't bring in a set of Noks for you. I know of dealers that will bring in other makes of cars to make a sale, can't see why they would fuss about tires.

With the number of Kal tires around you should be able to find one not too far from your dealer, the roads won't be that bad.

What do I need to do?

Do I just call Kal-Tire and ask them to deliver the tires to the dealership?

Or do I get the dealership to call Kal-tire and arrange to have them installed?

I'm confused.

I would call the dealer. Might be too late if the deal is sealed.

C2E Continued Contributor

A dealership will generally do whatever 'extra' items you request when buying a new vehicle. And in most cases will do the leg work to arrange the logistics of making it happen. The price will be adjusted accordingly, depending on what is agreed upon at the time of sale.

If you haven't taken possesion of the vehicle yet, I can't see why they wouldn't do that for you, even if you pay for the full cost, since it is after the sale.

might be cheaper just to bring it to kal-tire afterwards... yes, the dealer can do this for you, but will add a percentage.

I would just make do with the tires that are already on there for now. Doubt if we will get much more snow now and if we do it will not hang around for long. Start looking to replace the tires in September.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    might be cheaper just to bring it to kal-tire afterwards... yes, the dealer can do this for you, but will add a percentage.
    Wouldn't the percentage be reduced or eliminated by Jadzia giving back the original tires after she puts on her all-weather Nokians WRG3 tires? (Nice tires by the way, I think I've seen them referenced before, and will consider them the next time I need tires, thanks for the reminder about them, Jadzia )

If the dealer takes back the tires... sure. You might be better off keeping the tires and selling them on kijiji though.

(and I think I led Jazdia on to the Nokian WrG series...as I had them on my prior car and bragged about them extensively)

^
    Ah, I knew someone was talking about the All-Weathers on here, thanks Medwards

The nokians wrg3 has taken over the wrg2

These new ones have better traction control on ice

I thought about keeping the tires but kal tire will buy them

I am losing money but it's better than nothing and I don't have the storage space

The drive home was terrible in the new car

Seemed like the tires were struggling to pick up speed

^ going to be having fun day today!

Actually the drive wasn't too bad.

Mind you this is a first snowfall in over a month and the roads were already in good shape.

Kept the vehicle in manual mode during the whole trip. Kept my distance from everyone and grannied it all the way downtown.

Partially Addicted to C2E

What do you think of the WRG3 tires? I'm considering buying them for my vehicle but I'm not sure whether these "all-weather" tires are any good.

So far so good. The real test will be in the winter time when it hits minus 30 and there's patches of ice and snow on the roads.

Drove well last week when it rained, so really good so far.

The tires aren't make you bullet proof. You'll still slip but have better traction than all seasons.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by jadzia2000 View Post
    So far so good. The real test will be in the winter time when it hits minus 30 and there's patches of ice and snow on the roads.

The tires aren't make you bullet proof. You'll still slip but have better traction than all seasons.
    probably true enough in the snow but not necessarily so for the rest if the year... indeed for much of the year your best traction is likely offered by neither all-season or all-weather but by either regular summer or purpose made tjres.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Partially Addicted to C2E

I think I might try them out. I've always had dedicated winters but with my new vehicle I just can't spring $2500+ for a set of rims, monitors, and 18" tires.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by e909 View Post

I think I might try them out. I've always had dedicated winters but with my new vehicle I just can't spring $2500+ for a set of rims, monitors, and 18" tires.
    Wondering if you bought the Nokain WRG3's and if so what you think of the tires?

I have Hakka R's on one car and Hakka R2's on my other car. They are great but my wife and I only do about 7,000 Km a year on each vehicle. The tires will need to be replaced due to old rubber long before the tread is too low. So I'm thinking of just running all-weather Nokian WRG3's as well.

I had the WRG2's on my fusion before I sold it. They worked great all year round. Highly recommend the WRG2's or 3's

I did get the WRG3s and wow!!!

Well, last winter wasn't a read test since we went through the warm phase, but when we had a huge hit in November where it snowed about 30 cms for 2 days and snow everywhere?

I had to pick up my daughter at southgate so I had to travel on the whitemud. Absolutely no issues with traction, didn't get stuck, and I got to southgate and back home within 1/2 hour during rush hour.

I was able to drive 70kms on the freeway despite the thick snow on the road.

Very impressive tire to handle a 2-door vehicle with FWD.

Just imagine if I had the money to get the Infiniti Couple AWD with the Nokians.