Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring melt garbage - That time of the year again

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Spring melt garbage - That time of the year again

Another year, another spring melt that reveals how disgusting we tend to treat our city over the winter months.

Walking Whyte, the valley and downtown on the weekend it was absolutely disgusting to see just how much garbage was out and about, how many dog owners do not pick up and how little winter commitment there is by the City and US to keep the City clean year round.

I am going to head out this weekend around my neighbourhood with my Capital City Cleanup kit to do what I can, as I have a few times over the winter (understanding it is hard to remove garbage in snow or ice) to get a jump on clean up, but my god we need to go a better job of putting litter in its place.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

What's the over/under on amount of days till a thread is either created or resurrected from the past complaining about street sweeping not yet happening?

I'd say 4.
    www.decl.org

Will that come on or before the patio thread is resurrected?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

hahaha... same time.
    www.decl.org

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

mix it with the "when do I change my winter tires" rehash, follow with the "potholes act 32", and sprinkle with "painted lines on the streets"...

I am sure I missed something...OH YEAH...dog droppings...
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Another year, another spring melt that reveals how disgusting we tend to treat our city over the winter months.

Walking Whyte, the valley and downtown on the weekend it was absolutely disgusting to see just how much garbage was out and about, how many dog owners do not pick up and how little winter commitment there is by the City and US to keep the City clean year round.

I am going to head out this weekend around my neighbourhood with my Capital City Cleanup kit to do what I can, as I have a few times over the winter (understanding it is hard to remove garbage in snow or ice) to get a jump on clean up, but my god we need to go a better job of putting litter in its place.
    It looks more and more the the CEO expects YOU to clean up the parks and public areas because the staff they have are too busy in the office or drive by in FIDO mode.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Which is fine to a certain degree, all of us need to take more pride and be more active with litter cleanup, but it would be nice to see a roving crew with a 3/4 ton hitting important areas where litter is generally smaller. I have sent a areas of concern to 311 today.
    www.decl.org

On a related note, this weekend I noticed Bee-Clean vans making frequent stops at downtown bus stops to empty the trash. I take it they have been contracted recently?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    On a related note, this weekend I noticed Bee-Clean vans making frequent stops at downtown bus stops to empty the trash. I take it they have been contracted recently?
    Last year Bee-Clean had the contract for the bus stop and shelter by my work in Ambleside. There van actually had a portable pressure washer in it; it was cool washing them blast the grime of it, and the was seemed to be clean most of the time in the summer. Obviously, they can't do that in winter, but the garbage is emptied on a regular basis, summer and winter. Glad to see they're bringing that level of service to downtown, and hopefully my neck of the woods in Oliver, too

The lone offender on my street is glaringly obvious - every 2-3 feet on the boulevard there's a monster coil of freshly thawed dog turd. I don't know which home they live in, but I've got a bucket and shovel ready to return their lost belongings if I find out.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Which is fine to a certain degree, all of us need to take more pride and be more active with litter cleanup, but it would be nice to see a roving crew with a 3/4 ton hitting important areas where litter is generally smaller. I have sent a areas of concern to 311 today.
    Sometimes I feel like we show the same level of care that the CoE shows for itself.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

They have held that contract for years...
    www.decl.org

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

...people also forget that the litter is often due to overflowing garbage cans that get hit by a wind...or if you follow garbage trucks, the amount of debris that flies off of them is crazy!

I don't see the wanton littering (outside of cigarettes) that one used to see.
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    The lone offender on my street is glaringly obvious - every 2-3 feet on the boulevard there's a monster coil of freshly thawed dog turd. I don't know which home they live in, but I've got a bucket and shovel ready to return their lost belongings if I find out.
    There's an app for that:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/11...s-dna-testing/

Eve

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post

A problem in many neighbourhoods including mine. I clean-up the dog-dumps on our front and back lane. And when walking our dog I pick-up errant litter which is abundant, on Monday I filled two shopping bags from the lane, street, and in the woods. I don't mind biodegradeable apples, banna peels and the like; however, coffee cups (many) and plastics are rather irksome.

Choking on the dust everytime a vehicle drives past you is oh so nice too.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Last summer I went to Toronto and saw these out and about:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...et_Sweeper.jpg

Wouldn't mind seeing our city get a few of these.

On a positive note, late morning Sunday, Top_Dawg spotted a poodle picking up litter all around Earl's Tin Palace.

And she was at it for quite a long time.

Top_Dawg had some beezness to morgentaler in the west end when he spotted her cleaning up the parking lot side.

And on his way back 1-1/2 hours later she had worked her way around the whole fence line and was finishing up on 119 street.

Kudos to her and Earl's.

Quote Originally Posted by The13thFloor View Post
    Last summer I went to Toronto and saw these out and about:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...et_Sweeper.jpg

Wouldn't mind seeing our city get a few of these.
    A golf-cart honey wagon . . . cool !

We have one... just not sure where it goes.
    www.decl.org

I'd rather C2E than work!

I saw the first street sweeper this Friday on 142 St just south of Stony Plain Rd. I tweeted the City, Coun. McKeen and Iveson stating that I hope to see them on Jasper Ave soon.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

We have one... just not sure where it goes.
    Rice Howard...Jasper...that is where I see this one often.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    I saw the first street sweeper this Friday on 142 St just south of Stony Plain Rd. I tweeted the City, Coun. McKeen and Iveson stating that I hope to see them on Jasper Ave soon.
    I'm pretty sure some sweeping was one Friday night or Saturday morning downtown, as 102 avenue looked like it had a quick pass Saturday morning.

We've had exactly 4 nights this year where it has stayed warm enough to do much of anything related to street sweeping. Seems like those 4 nights significant progress is being made. While we've had plently of warm days, however it still freezes most night. It makes sense that they can only do it at night because its too busy during the day. No - the whole entire downtown can't be done in one 4-6 hour pass.

And look - below freezing highs, snow and freezing rain forecasted in the 4-7 day range.

Can you not sweep dry sand off at -10C?
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Can you not sweep dry sand off at -10C?
    Water is used as dust control...probably not the best in subzero.

Not having dust control during sweeping, not a good idea.

^ this guy. He gets it. DanC, your post are always right on the mark.

I can just see the dry sweep working so well. Wasn't it IanO who complained loudly when they dry swept the parking lot besides his humble home if not last season, but the time before?

^oh he gets it all right, right Danno

As for subzero and a little bit of water for dust control, I am sure there is a balance that could be found for reduced water use, but still some and perhaps some additional dust, but overall much less as we get a ton of this dirt and grime off of the road.
    www.decl.org

Hmmm, maybe add some anti-freeze to the water? Or salt?

Or use hot water?

just drag a sham-wow behind the street sweeper. That should take care of it.

^ a "Schitky" would work much better, than the "Sham-wow"

Or use hot water?
    what happens to hot water when it becomes cold and later freezes?

Quote Originally Posted by JJMorrocco View Post
    ^ a "Schitky" would work much better, than the "Sham-wow"
    Nah, then you'd have to keep stopping to rinse it off.

^oh he gets it all right, right Danno

As for subzero and a little bit of water for dust control, I am sure there is a balance that could be found for reduced water use, but still some and perhaps some additional dust, but overall much less as we get a ton of this dirt and grime off of the road.
    Sweep full tilt during the day it's above zero all day, has been for nearly two weeks.

There isn't a good reason not to be sweeping other than.....they could spread more gravel/sand. So you have to do it all again, which is expensive.

Personally, as a tax paying kinda guy who thinks some things are worth the money, downtown/oliver, Whyte and 124st (which I consider our major commercial areas) should be constantly swept to look as presentable as possible. They are typically horrible and spring is somehow our worst season despite the sweet mercy of winter leaving us.

Major arterials next, one time starting April 1 with a ban on sanding/gravel after that...yea yea I know it could snow again but how bad will it really be and how long would it really stay anyways...
    Everything else follows that. Sand the hills only if it is real bad, otherwise people don't drive like dum dums for the last sporadic major snowfall please.

There is my compromise between early start/better spring and $$$$$$$$$$.

^ Add in 118th ave and areas around transit stations. They should be priorities as well.

Commuter roads through residential should be also. At some point we'd like to start opening some windows without getting clouds of dust in the house
    Parkdale

Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
    ^ Add in 118th ave and areas around transit stations. They should be priorities as well.

Commuter roads through residential should be also. At some point we'd like to start opening some windows without getting clouds of dust in the house
    Sure add those to the constant upkeep priorities, at least 118 Ave from the LRT bridge west.

In terms of commuter roads and residential they are last, in terms of bang for buck...and what I mean is; the look of your and my front street has no added value for the whole city, so the once a year sweep stays as is for those roads...priority three.

Let's be honest, for all the money the collective we throws at this, the only thing the collective we gets back is the intangible unmeasurable presentation value, so it has to remain cost effective.

They were out with the sidewalk sweepers cleaning the sidewalks and medians on the 106ave overpass yesterday afternoon, and it looks like bus routes got a priliminary sweep in the Capilano neighborhood as well. This is good as the busses seem to be the worst offenders from creating giant dust plumes, and so many people are now out & about running, dog walking, etc.
    Parkdale

Buses are the worst indeed... still have not seen any action downtown since the last go around a month or so ago.

But I am happy to report some of the side streets in the west end comm/indus areas are done!

argh
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Yup, looks like arterials around 156th and 118th were done in the past couple days.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I literally saw a dust devil on Jasper Ave yesterday swirling with garbage.

It was kind of comical....but goes to show that Jasper Ave should be a priority

residential street sweeping schedule comes out late next week

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

In the rush to complain about this time of year...I will give a pat on the back to the Best Western on Kingsway. They are out today cleaning up their grounds, sweeping their parking lot by hand, and cleaning up the buildings.

It is a far cry from what I can say for others adjacent to the building....

Southwest neighbourhoods are more or less done as well!

C2E SME

Meanwhile 104 street was a disgusting mess last night.

I haven't seen a single street cleaner in the SW. Guys blowing the grit off the boulevards onto the road though...plenty of those.

Saw a streetsweeper cleaning Mayfield Common last night around midnight. It's nice to see whoever owns MC taking some pride in the property.

W E M swept their grass and threw it out onto 90 Ave. It is now curb height in most areas.
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

Addicted to C2E

107 Ave in QMP was done just over a week ago.
    Seems to me there is a lot less garbage (again, excluding cigarette butts) this year!

Quote Originally Posted by Cal76 View Post
    107 Ave in QMP was done just over a week ago.
    Seems to me there is a lot less garbage (again, excluding cigarette butts) this year!

Suppertime news on Global had a story and quotes from Councillor Amarjeet Sohi about how the city seems to be doing a job not worthy of value for money,complete with footage of some pretty discussing areas of the city.

The street cleaners went by in front of my place last night, but skipped over places where cars were parked. And these cars were parked where there were temporary no parking signs to facilitate the cleaning. I really wish they would tow vehicles, they used to do this years ago.

I saw a street sweeper on 100 avenue heading east of 116 street just before the snow flew last week.

Because I refuse to post about street cleaning in the snow removal thread:
    I see a street cleaning machine finally tackling the dusty McDougall Hill Road

Photos from last night and this am of areas that are swept ie. 'complete' as per the City's website... totally unacceptable.

Sent to Transportation and Councillor McKeen.

In some you can tell a sweeper was by it... but missed most of it. Also, 105st is a City BLVD but was not pre-brushed and then swept.

What gives?
    www.decl.org

Good for you Ian. I encourage everyone to do this. I think the response you will get is that the road was done and after they finished the sidewalk sweepers came along and swept the gravel into the gutter. Our spring cleaning is completely inadequate for a major city. I was out last night until 2:00 am, and did not see a street cleaner. Why not, I would have seen countless sanders during a snow fall.

The sidewalk on 101 St just north of McDougall United Church is like walking on a gravel road.

Coincidence... a sidewalk crew and sweeper just went down 100ave...
    www.decl.org

North side of 100ave as well... could it be photos and a few emails with some key CCs work?
    www.decl.org

Great idea, I think I will take some pics of the following and send to Councillor Colonel Sanders

The sidewalk on 101 St just north of McDougall United Church is like walking on a gravel road.

I have seen more sweepers in the last hour than all of the rest of the year thus far pass by my office...
    www.decl.org

They did my hood yesterday. Not a great job just happy I'm at the start of the list this year. Now i can wash everything else down.

The cavalry was Out in force in the Capilano area yesterday. They cleaned all the sidewalks and boulevardsand streets along 106 ave.

The Capilano is still a mess, which is disgraceful

Hoping to see what the Parkdale area looks like.. Hopefully it's all cleaned up too
    Parkdale

My issue is with the sidewalks. Why does it take so long and why do we wait so long to start sweeping them? They should all be done within the first week of April. Most have been done in my neighbourhood but they I have not done others. Why. How about we don't leave the area until it is done properly.

Thornclife got done a few times in the past 2 weeks, the most recent last night. But there is still a few sections of gravel only because jackass drivers chose to park in my neighborhood and don't get me started with the amount of ETS drivers and passengers that use our hood as their own fracking parking lot but that's another rant for another time.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    My issue is with the sidewalks. Why does it take so long and why do we wait so long to start sweeping them? They should all be done within the first week of April. Most have been done in my neighbourhood but they I have not done others. Why. How about we don't leave the area until it is done properly.
    Its because it tends to snow up until the may long weekend that's why.

Reply from the City and I have to say, they did get out quickly once I told them.

Equipment availability issues for priority areas such as downtown? Really?

' as you have commented, these sections of the referenced streets have been missed. Our plan is to catch the remainder of the area on night shift, due to parking and traffic considerations. At present we are experiencing equipment availability issues but we should be able to complete the missed locations within the next couple of days. Jasper Avenue also between 97/109 Streets should be swept before the end of the week barring inclement weather or additional mechanical issues. We have advised our operators and appropriate leaders to be more diligent in confirmation and tracking of locations in an effort to avoid prematurely identifying an area as "Complete".'
    www.decl.org

Short lunch walk, 101st to jasper, 102st north and south...

www.decl.org

The fact that we have the odd bit of snow in April and May should not prevent us from doing what we can to keep the city clean 12 months of the year. The sidewalks have not required sanding since March. The "it snows in May" rational is only an excuse and is used too often by our decision makers in city hall. We should demand a more efficient clean up in the spring and throughout the year.

So it looks as though they re-swept or did an initial sweep for the areas I noted... thank you City of Edmonton.

That said, 105st did not have its BLVD pre-brushed and the island median as you approach 100ave was not swept so you are left with a half cleaned street. I dont mean to continue to *****, but is that really acceptable to the City, to us?
    www.decl.org

^ not cleaning the raised medians or even brushing out the grass verges, seems to be almost the standard these days. I've seen lots of streets that have been swept, yet there is a huge amount of gravel right beside the curbs. Unless this is a preliminary sweep, we'll have to look at this mess all year!
    Edmontonian and proud of it!

Given that 105st is a major entranceway into the core, this bugs the hell out of me.
    www.decl.org

I agree 100 percent Ian. Image does not seem to be something our roadway maintenance people are concerned about.

The boulevard sweepers work at a different pace compared to the street sweepers. I have been told that is why street sweepers do not necessarily follow the bouvelard sweepers.

104 St needs to be cleaned before the City Market opens. Streets and sidewalks, esp in front of the Icons.

Badly... it is very dusty on a street with a lot of people, patios and farmer's market.

Last year this was NOT done.
    www.decl.org

Walked a lot of the core of the core today, unbelievable that none of it is done... seriously... the core of the core not done? What gives.
    www.decl.org

Fully agree Ian, shameful really.

I hope that city politicians can push administration a little on this

I had to drive around a bit last night and found very residential or odd areas with street cleaning done, but no, not the downtown CBD or Arts district...

clap clap clap
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

I had to drive around a bit last night and found very residential or odd areas with street cleaning done, but no, not the downtown CBD or Arts district...

clap clap clap
    I noticed at 5:30am this morning that they'd dumped a bunch of grit/gravel all over potholes on Jasper Avenue, while it also appeared that it had recently been swept along the curbs.

Genius.

Just reminds me how far we still have to go to make Downtown and other rather important areas a priority.
    www.decl.org

Walking to work this morning, a great gust of wind blew sand and other street shrapnel into my face. Good thing I was wearing sunglasses or I could have been blinded! *** ok i exaggerate **

118th avenue had a "preliminary" a few weeks ago but the street is still very dirty. Considering how many are now out walking on the Ave it should have been done sooner.

My loopy cul-de-sac in Goldbar has been done for two weeks now already. I see why they do the bus routes early (busses create HUGE dust plumes) but my quiet street that sees maybe two cars an hour and a half dozen pedestrians at most didn't need to be done first. Parkdale house has similar pedestrian traffic volumes to areas of downtown.. it should have been done sooner as well
    Parkdale

Driving around the west end the other day and they were cleaning... yet nothing on Whyte ave or downtown?
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Some of the bike lanes here in the south are dreadful. Just like a gravel road...

^Over dramatic much i rode a bike this week and its honestly not that bad

Pot kettle black says the most over dramatic on the forum...

Although I do think the city can do a better job of prioritizing the spring clean up, property owners should be doing their part in cleaning up this city. Why are so many sidewalks in front of businesses still unswept and not power washed? How about everyone moving their vehicles off the street when neighbourhoods are notified of the pending arrival of the sweepers. How about getting out and picking up the garbage in your hedges and around your property. We each have a part to play in keeping our city clean. We ALL need to stop always blaming "the city" and take some responsibility in cleaning it up.

^Exactly Doug. These sheeple blame the highest level when its 9 times out of 10 their own laziness and stupidity

Many condo front yards were untouched it seemed when we were out sat...
    www.decl.org

Driving around last night, Whitemud not done, Calgary Trail not done, Groat not done, downtown still not done... but many residential and side streets done???
    www.decl.org

They were doing Whitemud west from Terwilliger (anyway) about 9:00 last night. Might be done by now.
    ... gobsmacked

I was on the whitemud from 149st-178st at 10pm last night, not done.
    www.decl.org

I find it amazing that the Calgary Trail is still not done but we live in a society that is very me driven. The city has to cater to that, so instead of doing routes like Calgary Trail first, they are busy doing I suburban crescents. Doing it that way creates less calls of complaint to 311.

I drove along the Yellowhead Trail east of 50 street on the weekend. Absolutely embarrassing was the only way to describe it. The amount of litter was unbelievable.

I sent an inquiry to my councillor asking about a major street in the west end that was listed as complete but it was far from done. His office forwarded it to Street maintenance. A few days later I got an e mail that's basically a " we know what we are doing and you don't " response.

Major amount of sweepers and trucks etc out on Whitemud Eastbound around Fox Drive, this evening!
    Edmontonian and proud of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry N View Post
    I sent an inquiry to my councillor asking about a major street in the west end that was listed as complete but it was far from done. His office forwarded it to Street maintenance. A few days later I got an e mail that's basically a "we know what we are doing and you don't" response.
    I received the same reply, somewhat hubristic if you ask me.

A very unfortunate reply/response indeed. Clearly there is little priority for high importance areas.
    www.decl.org

You guys should post those responses here. Seriously.
    You can edit out your names.

You guys should post those responses here. Seriously.
    You can edit out your names.

I was going that exact thing,but I deleted it out of frustration with the response and can't retrieve it.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast