Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 401 to 500 of 537

Thread: Spring melt garbage - That time of the year again

  1. #401
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    30,852

    Default

    Likewise, the front of my building has temporary No Parking signs. Unfortunately many idiots are choosing to ignore them. For the love of God, City, ticket and tow them all if they don't move.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  2. #402
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012
    Posts
    3,221

    Default

    I noticed the cleaners in front of my place (110 Street near 99th Ave) and also noticed all the parked cars. It could be that they are lifting a bulk of the gravel and other detritus and will come back later for fine-tuning.

  3. #403
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    46,264

    Default

    Tow or tag and fine.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  4. #404
    Plug C2E into my veins!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Westwood
    Posts
    16,278

    Default

    Agreed. Why they don't follow through is beyond me. Poor planning? What's the excuse?

  5. #405
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    4,493

    Default

    There is no excuse.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

  6. #406
    Plug C2E into my veins!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Westwood
    Posts
    16,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    There is no excuse.
    No legitimate excuse. But the city has one for everything.

  7. #407

    Default

    Our street was swept yesterday and despite the signs our ***** neighbour leaves one of his cars parked on the street so that part of the street wasn't swept properly. And of course, this car was parked partly in front of our house.

    When is this ridiculous city government and staff going to start requiring people to move their vehicles when the streets are being swept or plowed? When are they going to figure out that those signs "asking" people to move their vehicles don't work?

    It's pretty simple. I pay my taxes, I want my street swept and plowed properly and I want my neighbourhood to look nice. Is that really too much to ask? Why is so much leeway given to the inconsiderate people in this city?

  8. #408
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    46,264

    Default

    Provide the neighbour with a friendly note asking them to sweep and clean that spot.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  9. #409
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,591

    Default

    I saw a street cleaner cruising down Argyll Road today. Wonder where it was headed to clean?

  10. #410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaerdo View Post
    I saw a street cleaner cruising down Argyll Road today. Wonder where it was headed to clean?
    Somewhere in the city I suppose? Maybe one of those car oriented suburbs you despise.

  11. #411
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    46,264

    Default

    Are the main streets with pedestrians complete yet? Nope...
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  12. #412

    Default

    I have a comment... I know that we rely on the CoE to sweep the streets, sidewalks, etc... I agree with this 100% as they have the equipment to deal with the huge amounts of sand that the put down in the winter (too much too often IMO.)

    What I would like to see, however, is our residents, shop owners, and landlords take a more proactive approach to this spring cleaning. Let's all get out and sweep the sidewalk and gutter immediately in front of our own homes or businesses. 20 minutes of work will improve things for all the residents of our city. Then the city can come with their heavy equipment to do the final polishing.

    I'm in the process of building a home and once it is complete you can be damn sure I will be out there often sweeping up in front and behind my property. Let's all chip in!

  13. #413
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,591

    Default

    I can't figure out why business owners haven't clued in to cleaning outside their shops. I guess Edmontonian business owners don't care about keeping their property attractive.

    In cities around the world you can see employees outside daily sweeping the sidewalk and picking up garbage. Not in Edmonton, where they are content to have customers trudge through piles of garbage and muck.

  14. #414
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    46,264

    Default

    ^yup, far more care and attention in other cities on the whole.

    I went out and swept out condo's perimeter for the second time last night pre-streetsweep as it seems like each year the sidewalks retain their gravel post clean.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  15. #415
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    4,003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaerdo View Post
    I saw a street cleaner cruising down Argyll Road today. Wonder where it was headed to clean?
    8555 - Argyll Road NW.

  16. #416

    Default

    The building on the NE corner of Jasper / 104St is great at having someone out sweeping each morning. Let's get more to follow suit!

    I noticed that one of the worst for this is city centre mall. There is constantly pigeon poop all over 102 ave sidewalks making for an unpleasant walk.

  17. #417
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    46,264

    Default

    DECL will be out this weekend doing its immediate area and on May 1 our larger cleanup of the rest of Downtown. Please consider joining/assisting us.

    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  18. #418
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    4,003

    Default



    Used to always be on a Saturday.

    Why the change ?

  19. #419
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    46,264

    Default

    They want divine intervention?
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  20. #420
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    4,493

    Default

    One bonus in all this is that I snagged a couple of buckets of grit to toss on my sidewalk next winter. The City never replenishes the one little sandbox in our area.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

  21. #421

    Default

    Was last week the first week of April for street sweeping, or is this week Jasper/Whyte (pedestrian street) sweeping week?

    If I hit up patios for dinner/brunch this weekend (+20 Friday?) will it be clean? Whyte Ave stores I know do sweep for a good part but it's futile for the street junk gets everywhere all over again. You get the grime from two block down.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

  22. #422
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    46,264

    Default

    Much a McKay now clean. Credit where credit is due to the COE.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  23. #423
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    4,003

    Default

    Yeah, Top_Dawg noticed they swept the streets around Grandin and by and large did a pretty good job.

  24. #424

    Default

    I encountered another large appearing to be abandoned ravine-camp with many needles. For the droves, hopefully, who'll join our cleaning blitz City of Edmonton safe needle disposal PDF

    I realise the city's camp clean-up unit are swamped; however, camps which I've reported and gave the co-ordinates to are still there 12 months later, not all of them are inhabited and frankly not good enough. I've cleaned-up a number myself.

  25. #425
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    4,493

    Default

    Supplying free labour, then. No wonder the City doesn't bother. Good on ya, though. And shame on them.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

  26. #426

    Default

    Cheers Howie, it must be echoes of decades past when I was a lad attending school in Scotland. The school had very large grounds attached to the common and links as well. Every year was on a compulsory grounds-keeping rota which also included faculty. Everyone quite enjoyed it never thought of as punishment nor demeaning. On fairer days, when the rain wasn't horizontal, we'd often have a discussion/lesson with our religious knowledge teacher about the ecology, stewardship, various cultures/faiths and their practices. Although now older I get a tad upset with trash and crap blowing all of the place and too many doing bugger all, some if it literally in their own back gardens.

  27. #427

    Default

    My elementary school used to have an annual event where we went around the neighbourhood the school was in cleaning up garbage. Not sure if schools do that anymore here. We used to find some pretty disgusting things, used rubbers to needles for example

  28. #428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    Supplying free labour, then. No wonder the City doesn't bother. Good on ya, though. And shame on them.
    Yes, it would be nice if the COE would get around to mowing last year's noxious weeds on their land.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  29. #429
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    4,493

    Default

    The green belt at the back of our house is greening up nicely. Too bad it'll be yellowing up nicely with this year's eager crop of dandelions. But on the bright side, the bees love a nice dandelion. Wish I could share their enthusiasm.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

  30. #430
    C2E Posting Power
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Beaumont, ab
    Posts
    725

    Default

    Please say the whitemud and yellowhead onramps have signage indicating that "road cleanup will be happening soon?"

  31. #431
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    30,852

    Default

    I'm surprised nobody's necroed this yet!
    How's the spring cleaning this year?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  32. #432

    Default

    It's too bad the city quit planting flowers, Edmonton looks like a dumps of sorts and I never fell for the whole distraction thing, it's all a lie.

  33. #433
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    4,591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by champking View Post
    It's too bad the city quit planting flowers, Edmonton looks like a dumps of sorts and I never fell for the whole distraction thing, it's all a lie.
    That was Phairs idea, they distracted people..bawhahahah

  34. #434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hello lady View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by champking View Post
    It's too bad the city quit planting flowers, Edmonton looks like a dumps of sorts and I never fell for the whole distraction thing, it's all a lie.
    That was Phairs idea, they distracted people..bawhahahah
    Issue is: they treat us like dummy's lie to us ! . are you a dummy ? hells no ! fight back ! Best way is financial . I gave up on these POS wrecking my home,...I seriously was importing my materials from Winnipeg before give the city money. I closed my business. Next step we leaving the province for good. They say for every trades job lost , 5 are lost , they lost about 50 with me
    Last edited by champking; 29-03-2017 at 07:51 PM.

  35. #435

    Default

    Later craig the dogkiller. I mean dakine. You'll love manitoba

  36. #436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Later craig the dogkiller. I mean dakine. You'll love manitoba
    Can't hurt me it only makes me stronger
    Last edited by champking; 29-03-2017 at 09:28 PM.

  37. #437

    Default

    I'm let you guys in on a little secret . as an INFOWAR we don't name call, we don't give personal attacks and how we winning . We have discredited the left, they fake news

  38. #438
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    46,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I'm surprised nobody's necroed this yet!
    How's the spring cleaning this year?
    Hahaha... behind the scenes

    I hope everyone gets out this weekend and does a clean of their block, sweeps their sidewalks and encourages their neighbours to do the same.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  39. #439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by champking View Post
    I'm let you guys in on a little secret . as an INFOWAR we don't name call, we don't give personal attacks and how we winning . We have discredited the left, they fake news
    You dont call mandel scamdel and all the other names you use?

  40. #440
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    4,003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I'm surprised nobody's necroed this yet!
    How's the spring cleaning this year?


    Yeah, Top_Dawg just knew this annual gala of hand wringing, navel gazing, and group masturbation was coming very soon.

  41. #441
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    4,493

    Default

    Hey champking, do you think you could get a basic grasp of English before you post any more stuff? You're bloody hard work.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

  42. #442
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sherwood Park, AB
    Posts
    10,803

    Default

    I saw a leaf blower blowing away gravel at Rogers Place today.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

  43. #443
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    edmonton, alberta
    Posts
    2,111

    Default

    Can someone tell me why the city can sand every sidewalk in this city in 48 hrs following a freezing rain event and yet it takes weeks to sweep them off in the spring. All they do is sweep the sand onto the grass. It makes no sense. Our sidewalks should be swept by now.

  44. #444

    Default

    The COE likes the Sahara Theme.

    I am think we should begin calling the season formerly known as Spring, the color Taupe..
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  45. #445
    Plug C2E into my veins!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Westwood
    Posts
    16,278

    Default

    It's really bad out there and there seems to have been a definite slow down in getting to work this year compared to the last few years when it seemed the city had picked up their game a bit.

  46. #446

    Default

    spring seems to have a started a little later this year

  47. #447
    C2E Posting Power
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Beaumont, ab
    Posts
    725

    Default

    Haven't been home in a while.....street sweepers making any progress? Btw, when does the city release their 2017 road construction schedule - curious to see if any portions of the Whitemud get paved this year......

  48. #448

    Default

    Can't have the city look nice . It be a distraction to motorists

  49. #449
    C2E Posting Power
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Beaumont, ab
    Posts
    725

    Default

    Come again?

  50. #450

    Default

    ^resident troll, just ignore.

  51. #451
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sherwood park
    Posts
    2,406

    Default

    Our streets were done last Friday.

  52. #452

    Default

    Must say the did the west side of 97th. St. between 167th. Ave and 153 Ave. Cut the grass, cleared the garbage. It looked awesome. Best I have seen it in a long time.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

  53. #453

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    Come again?
    In reference to a city clowncil . That ban planting flowers for ' it might be a distraction ' if you can believe that retardation .
    Last edited by champking; 01-05-2017 at 12:03 PM.

  54. #454

    Default

    Where did council ban planting flowers? You stoned again?

  55. #455

    Default

    If you go back to 2007 you can find threads here on it. It's to bad a stoner have better memory. You should maybe get brain check out lol
    Last edited by champking; 01-05-2017 at 12:18 PM.

  56. #456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Where did council ban planting flowers? You stoned again?
    They didn't. Heck, they even encourage the public to plant on public lands!

    https://www.edmonton.ca/programs_ser...-property.aspx
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  57. #457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Where did council ban planting flowers? You stoned again?
    They didn't. Heck, they even encourage the public to plant on public lands!

    https://www.edmonton.ca/programs_ser...-property.aspx
    they had corporate sponsored flower beds with company logos on Whitemud medians and they removed them, stating that they were too distracting.

  58. #458
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    10,446

    Default

    I did notice that the City went and brushed off all the medians, sidewalks and curbs about 3 weeks ago in the 149 Street and 118 avenue area. Which is a great idea, if you're going to pick it up soon after. Instead, they let the piles of dirt and mud and dead grass sit there for 3-4 days, then it started snowing. Near as I can tell, all that junk has either made it's way back on to the sidewalks and medians, or still sits piled along the curbs nearly a month later. I look forward to seeing this process repeated.

  59. #459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by champking View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Where did council ban planting flowers? You stoned again?
    They didn't. Heck, they even encourage the public to plant on public lands!

    https://www.edmonton.ca/programs_ser...-property.aspx
    they had corporate sponsored flower beds with company logos on Whitemud medians and they removed them, stating that they were too distracting.
    that was a pilot project and the city discontinued it. It was advertising mostly. The city hasn't banned planting flowers as you first suggest. Go smoke another one.

  60. #460
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sherwood park
    Posts
    2,406

    Default

    Those corporate flower ads started fine but ended up as mostly plastic crap if iirc correctly!

  61. #461
    C2E Posting Power
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Beaumont, ab
    Posts
    725

    Default

    Live in the "now" much? That was over 12 years ago min......you sound like a troll living in a foreign country who likes stirring up ****.....your grammar certainly indicates this...lol. You should really **** off....

  62. #462
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    30,852

    Default

    Calls for Edmonton to prioritize pedestrian hot spots when it comes to spring cleaning

    http://globalnews.ca/news/3418407/ca.../?sf75086211=1

    A couple of familiar names in this piece!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  63. #463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    Live in the "now" much? That was over 12 years ago min......you sound like a troll living in a foreign country who likes stirring up ****.....your grammar certainly indicates this...lol. You should really **** off....
    It's the lame excuses the city comes up with . But yes those were the scamdel years when it was about maximizing Daryl Katz profits

  64. #464

    Default

    Those corporate flower ads were, according to the COE, were too distracting for drivers

    20 million candle power, flashing animated jumbotron billboards are,
    according to the COE, not...
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 01-05-2017 at 08:51 PM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  65. #465

    Default

    I think that the COE has the wrong approach to street sweeping.

    Rather than focusing on kilometers of streets swept, IMHO, they should focus on tonnage picked up.

    This city uses about 180,000 tons of sand in a typical season. Once the sand is at the curb, it is useless. If there is a break in weather, even in early March, start sweeping. Although it may mean more kilometers driven, it can be done at a faster pace and keep the excess dust storms to a minimum. I think everyone would appreciate cleaner streets in spring, less trash in the gutters and less delays in cleaning up that drags often into the summer months.


    Think about it as mowing the lawn. You don't wait until September to mow.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  66. #466
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    2,527

    Default

    The City roads and medians are filthy

    I have seen several strips that have supposedly been 'done' but they still have bits of gravel scattered around.

    And the City has not been enforcing no parking in residential areas - as a result the sweepers simply go around parked cars leaving the dirt on the ground.

  67. #467
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    30,852

    Default

    ^ If you see shoddy work like that, report it to 311 along with a pic if you can. That's certainly more effective than posting about it here.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  68. #468
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    4,003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Calls for Edmonton to prioritize pedestrian hot spots when it comes to spring cleaning

    http://globalnews.ca/news/3418407/ca.../?sf75086211=1

    A couple of familiar names in this piece!


    Top_Dawg loves it.

    The entitlement is hilarious.

    In that pathetic sort of way.

  69. #469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post


    Top_Dawg loves it.

    The entitlement is hilarious.

    In that pathetic sort of way.
    "Local urbanist busybodies upset City of Edmonton policies/priorities not identical to their own & upset that their personal proximity to less-than-ideal situations does not carry more weight."

    Also works for The Arlington & a whole host of the "Downtown Uber Alles" schticks.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  70. #470

    Default

    City business owners need to do more themselves. Show some civic pride. In bigger 'world' cities, store owners along pedestrian hot spots the store owners hose down the sidewalk and clean up any garbage on a daily basis. Many of these hot spots have a paid organization or Local Business zone/association that group together to pay for sidewalk cleaning on a near daily schedule, or at least once a week.

    That said, Edmonton is very clean city. Some of you need to get out more.

  71. #471
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    46,264

    Default

    Annual DECL community cleanup and BBQ this Sunday. Hope to see you there!


    https://twitter.com/IanOyeg

    https://www.facebook.com/events/206003389892090/
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  72. #472
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    46,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    City business owners need to do more themselves. Show some civic pride. In bigger 'world' cities, store owners along pedestrian hot spots the store owners hose down the sidewalk and clean up any garbage on a daily basis. Many of these hot spots have a paid organization or Local Business zone/association that group together to pay for sidewalk cleaning on a near daily schedule, or at least once a week.

    That said, Edmonton is very clean city. Some of you need to get out more.
    100% agreed that business owners, property owners, tenants, landlords and residents need to get out in front of their homes/businesses and blocks to sweep, wash and care for. The City cannot be expected to do it all. That said, we do not do a good enough job or have a high enough standard or care.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  73. #473

    Default

    100% agree as well.

    Can't believe how many shops have filthy windows and store fronts. Take pride and clean up the front and back, wash the sidewalk at least weekly. Maybe do your neighbouring business as well and create a community of shared good business ethics. When my wife ran a bookstore in the Highstreet area, I sweep the front of the entire plaza of the 5 or 6 businesses and shaved off a built up 6 inch thick layer of sand and weeds along the curb as the sweepers approached. Got a nice wave of appreciation from the operator of the street sweeper who had to make two passes to pick up the large piles of sand.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  74. #474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    City business owners need to do more themselves. Show some civic pride. In bigger 'world' cities, store owners along pedestrian hot spots the store owners hose down the sidewalk and clean up any garbage on a daily basis. Many of these hot spots have a paid organization or Local Business zone/association that group together to pay for sidewalk cleaning on a near daily schedule, or at least once a week.

    That said, Edmonton is very clean city. Some of you need to get out more.
    100% agreed that business owners, property owners, tenants, landlords and residents need to get out in front of their homes/businesses and blocks to sweep, wash and care for. The City cannot be expected to do it all. That said, we do not do a good enough job or have a high enough standard or care.
    Totally agree. A couple weeks back I grabbed some gloves and garbage bags and cleaned up the walkway behind our house. Basically cleaned up the length of two city blocks. I know of one other neighbour who does this but no one else.

    I'm on a RANT HERE!!! ...

    Then on Sunday I grabbed some 'doggy poop bags' when I took my daughter to the playground. Picked up cigarette butts, broken glass, a rusty old beer cap, loads of wrappers, band aids, etc. (I just don't understand how other parents - all other parents - can just sit their on their asses while little kids and toddlers play in the sand - just telling their kids to keep their shoes on and not to pick up anything. F'ing lazy my mind - or a cultural thing - or 'it's below us to touch that stuff' - 'it's someone else's job' - or 'it's just fine as I don't give a '*****' ...

    Before we moved our girl out of the elementary school into a private school last year, I was at this playground regularly after school. I always took a plastic bag to allow me to wonder about and clean up the crap dumped in the playground. Four years going there - never once saw any other mother or fathers get off their smartphone to clean up where their own kids are playing. I'm so disgusted with slothful neighbours and parents that I'd move but I don't think it's better anywhere else. (In fact I've picked up crap in other playgrounds we've visited for their playground features (St. Albert, Laurier Heights, Westridge, Rio T...).



    Now here's a hilarious one:

    A week or so back when it snowed, I shovelled off about 6 or 7 sidewalks (couple neighbours with health / mobility issues and great neighbours in-between that do my snow too, so we somewhat tag team it). However I also shovel the other way despite my wife's protests. So, I did the immediate neighbour on the other side, since they rarely get out and do it themselves, but was I dead tired and stopped a foot or so short of the edge of their property line (everything was white so I didn't look to carefully).

    Well, the next neighbour over came out - AND GET THIS: He shovelled his sidewalk but left this short shovel or two width piece of un-shovelled sidewalk next to his property line. What an ***!

    Then further down the street there's a man in a wheel chair that needs DATS to get around. I have a whole other RANT for his neighbours.
    Last edited by KC; 02-05-2017 at 11:10 AM.

  75. #475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    City business owners need to do more themselves. Show some civic pride. In bigger 'world' cities, store owners along pedestrian hot spots the store owners hose down the sidewalk and clean up any garbage on a daily basis. Many of these hot spots have a paid organization or Local Business zone/association that group together to pay for sidewalk cleaning on a near daily schedule, or at least once a week.

    That said, Edmonton is very clean city. Some of you need to get out more.
    100% agreed that business owners, property owners, tenants, landlords and residents need to get out in front of their homes/businesses and blocks to sweep, wash and care for. The City cannot be expected to do it all. That said, we do not do a good enough job or have a high enough standard or care.
    Totally agree. A couple weeks back I grabbed some gloves and garbage bags and cleaned up the walkway behind our house. Basically cleaned up the length of two city blocks. I know of one other neighbour who does this but no one else.

    Then on Sunday I grabbed some 'doggy poop bags' when I took my daughter to the playground. Picked up cigarette butts, broken glass, a rusty old beer cap, loads of wrappers, band aids, etc. (I just don't understand how other parents - all other parents - can just sit their on their asses while little kids and toddlers play in the sand - just telling their kids to keep their shoes on and not to pick up anything. F'ing lazy my mind - or a cultural thing - or 'it's below us to touch that stuff' - 'it's someone else's job' - or 'it's just fine as I don't give a '*****' ...
    obviously picking up your smartphone and reading what the Jones' just posted on facebook is far more important than civic pride, or even community pride. "I didn't make the mess why should I clean it up"

  76. #476

    Default

    The COE does have to improve the regular cleanup and emptying of curbside trash cans. We are all schooled to put our trash in the cans but many times you find them overflowing.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  77. #477

    Default

    I've used the 311 app on my phone to report overflowing garbage cans and the city sends someone right away... (the 311 app is great... used it a lot for abandoned vehicles now too instead of calling bylaw and answering a million unrelated questions)

    that said, yes, they should be on it more often. It's always the same garbage cans that are overflowing. Trend it, and increase the frequency. Not hard to figure out.

  78. #478

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    City business owners need to do more themselves. Show some civic pride. In bigger 'world' cities, store owners along pedestrian hot spots the store owners hose down the sidewalk and clean up any garbage on a daily basis. Many of these hot spots have a paid organization or Local Business zone/association that group together to pay for sidewalk cleaning on a near daily schedule, or at least once a week.

    That said, Edmonton is very clean city. Some of you need to get out more.
    100% agreed that business owners, property owners, tenants, landlords and residents need to get out in front of their homes/businesses and blocks to sweep, wash and care for. The City cannot be expected to do it all. That said, we do not do a good enough job or have a high enough standard or care.
    Totally agree. A couple weeks back I grabbed some gloves and garbage bags and cleaned up the walkway behind our house. Basically cleaned up the length of two city blocks. I know of one other neighbour who does this but no one else.

    Then on Sunday I grabbed some 'doggy poop bags' when I took my daughter to the playground. Picked up cigarette butts, broken glass, a rusty old beer cap, loads of wrappers, band aids, etc. (I just don't understand how other parents - all other parents - can just sit their on their asses while little kids and toddlers play in the sand - just telling their kids to keep their shoes on and not to pick up anything. F'ing lazy my mind - or a cultural thing - or 'it's below us to touch that stuff' - 'it's someone else's job' - or 'it's just fine as I don't give a '*****' ...
    obviously picking up your smartphone and reading what the Jones' just posted on facebook is far more important than civic pride, or even community pride. "I didn't make the mess why should I clean it up"
    I kept adding more to my comment. I could go on and on.

    And I don't see myself as overly neighbourly or helpful or full of civic or community pride. I'm a lazy F _ _ _ myself, but when I think of the people in my neighbourhood I just can't comprehend what their lives are like.
    Last edited by KC; 02-05-2017 at 11:04 AM.

  79. #479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    The COE does have to improve the regular cleanup and emptying of curbside trash cans. We are all schooled to put our trash in the cans but many times you find them overflowing.
    Minor, minor, minor issue. The vast majority of cans still have room in them but you'll see that people toss trash within a few steps of the cans. (Imagine how demoralizing those city jobs are!)

  80. #480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    I've used the 311 app on my phone to report overflowing garbage cans and the city sends someone right away... (the 311 app is great... used it a lot for abandoned vehicles now too instead of calling bylaw and answering a million unrelated questions)

    that said, yes, they should be on it more often. It's always the same garbage cans that are overflowing. Trend it, and increase the frequency. Not hard to figure out.
    Ask them to double up the cans. Problem solved, labour and cost efficiency created.

  81. #481
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    4,003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    The COE does have to improve the regular cleanup and emptying of curbside trash cans. We are all schooled to put our trash in the cans but many times you find them overflowing.
    Minor, minor, minor issue. The vast majority of cans still have room in them but you'll see that people toss trash within a few steps of the cans. (Imagine how demoralizing those city jobs are!)

    Often Top_Dawg gets a laugh out of the overflowing receptacles.

    Many times they are the result of somebody jamming some oversized piece into them that blocks or partially blocks any other garbage.

    Top_Dawg sees this all over the city.

    And it's really kind of a mystery.

    Because Top_Dawg never sees anybody walking around carrying a large pizza box.

    But more often than not, it's a large pizza box jamming up the $hitcans.


  82. #482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    The COE does have to improve the regular cleanup and emptying of curbside trash cans. We are all schooled to put our trash in the cans but many times you find them overflowing.
    Minor, minor, minor issue. The vast majority of cans still have room in them but you'll see that people toss trash within a few steps of the cans. (Imagine how demoralizing those city jobs are!)

    Often Top_Dawg gets a laugh out of the overflowing receptacles.

    Many times they are the result of somebody jamming some oversized piece into them that blocks or partially blocks any other garbage.

    Top_Dawg sees this all over the city.

    And it's really kind of a mystery.

    Because Top_Dawg never sees anybody walking around carrying a large pizza box.

    But more often than not, it's a large pizza box jamming up the $hitcans.

    Hilarious. I've seen that too!

    I think it's the 3 am-hey-cabby-there's-a-pizza-shop.-Drop-us-there-let's-get-take-out-and-walk-home-crowd.

  83. #483
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    46,264

    Default

    What upsets me is when people use trashcans for domestic bags instead of walking that extra 50' to their residential bin.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  84. #484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Ask them to double up the cans. Problem solved, labour and cost efficiency created.
    and more convenient too..

    As North Korea would say, it ain't rocket science you know...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  85. #485
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    30,852

    Default

    Oh Edmonton Edmonton Edmonton....

    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  86. #486
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    46,264

    Default

    Ditto


    @ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  87. #487
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sherwood Park, AB
    Posts
    10,803

    Default

    I wonder how the shanty town by the Dawson Bridge is doing.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

  88. #488
    Plug C2E into my veins!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Westwood
    Posts
    16,278

    Default

    The garbage is really bad this year. And the lack of cleanup due to the weather has put us really behind in tidying things up. Fingers crossed the city can get on it not that it’s warming up finally. We should be seeing street sweepers/cleaners out any day now. Has anyone seen them out yet?

  89. #489
    Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    11,355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    The garbage is really bad this year. And the lack of cleanup due to the weather has put us really behind in tidying things up. Fingers crossed the city can get on it not that it’s warming up finally. We should be seeing street sweepers/cleaners out any day now. Has anyone seen them out yet?
    as one of edmonton the city’s most vocal critics in some areas, this isn’t one of them this year. downtown is way more attractive than most springs past (with the exception of transportation using sidewalks for barrier and orange cone storage) and most of my travels indicate that’s that’s typical and not atypical - not spotless spanking clean and tidy but much improved. there seems to be a lot less sand and gravel than usual (the garage floors all winter seem to confirm that as well) and not as much buildup or litter showing up at the end of the melt as usual.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

  90. #490
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    10,446

    Default

    Looks like they swept 149th around 118th overnight. I don't think this spring is all that bad. We are literally only 5-7 days past having a foot of snow on the ground, as well. Let's see how things go now that the weather appears to have turned.

  91. #491
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Where ever Visa is accepted
    Posts
    4,495

    Default

    Sweepers seen around St Joes High yesterday. Don't understand why the Whitemud is not a priority.
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

  92. #492
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    edmonton, alberta
    Posts
    2,111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    The garbage is really bad this year. And the lack of cleanup due to the weather has put us really behind in tidying things up. Fingers crossed the city can get on it not that it’s warming up finally. We should be seeing street sweepers/cleaners out any day now. Has anyone seen them out yet?
    as one of edmonton the city’s most vocal critics in some areas, this isn’t one of them this year. downtown is way more attractive than most springs past (with the exception of transportation using sidewalks for barrier and orange cone storage) and most of my travels indicate that’s that’s typical and not atypical - not spotless spanking clean and tidy but much improved. there seems to be a lot less sand and gravel than usual (the garage floors all winter seem to confirm that as well) and not as much buildup or litter showing up at the end of the melt as usual.
    I agree 100 percent. Downtown was much cleaner this year with the use of de-icer. Most of our roads are much cleaner than in any year I can remember. Much less sand and gravel. Hopefully it will allow crews to clean more quickly and not take until the end of June.

  93. #493
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    46,264

    Default

    MUCH cleaner. The City put 1/3 as much material down compared to normal years.

    Garbage and the need to ensure people wash down walks and fronts of businesses still needs attention.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  94. #494
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    46,264

    Default

    Spring street sweeping to start soon



    April 19, 2018

    Warmer weather is just around the corner, and that means it’s time to clean the roads of sand and debris. The City of Edmonton will start street sweeping near the end of April, weather permitting, and is reminding residents of the process.

    “Spring season came late this year, creating some unique challenges. Our crews have a concrete work plan and are confident it will be a success,” said Andrew Grant, General Supervisor, Infrastructure Field Operations.

    The City’s sweeping process is designed to be as efficient and non-disruptive as possible. Parks crews will first sweep boulevards and push debris onto major roads, then road crews will sweep debris from the major roads. Road crews will sweep up debris on residential roads during the day.

    Motorists can expect to see peace officers, flashing lights and blocked lanes on high-volume and high-speed roads. Please give crews room to work for both their safety and yours.

    Please move vehicles off the street to allow crews to do a thorough job. Sweeping schedules will be posted on neighbourhood signs and on edmonton.ca/streetsweeping. Schedules will be updated regularly throughout the sweeping process. Please note that each neighbourhood has a designated week for residential sweeping, but if crews are ahead of schedule, sweeping will start in the next neighbourhood early.


    For more information:
    http://edmonton.ca/streetsweeping

    Media contact:
    Jill Sliwkanich
    Communications Coordinator
    780-495-0631
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  95. #495
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    10,446

    Default

    One thing I did see last week, that clearly demonstrated how comically wasteful the city could be, was some sweeping the city was doing on the sidewalk in front of Archbishop MacDonald highschool on 142 street. One of those small red utility vehicles with a big brush on the front was sweeping the sidewalk... while not one but two city of Edmonton F-250's were slowly advancing in the adjacent curb lane with flashers etc. It made no sense to me why 150k worth of equipment and probably close to $150/hr (including benefits, pension etc) of labor was required to sweep a 3 foot wide sidewalk. The utility vehicle was entirely on the sidewalk, and was plenty visible. Why not one but two signalling trucks were required as well, I have no idea.

  96. #496

  97. #497
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    4,591

    Default

    Wasteful! Your taxes at work..

  98. #498
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    6,659

    Default

    One to block the lane while work was being done (those brushes can send stuff flying) and another one probably for when they drove the smaller piece of machinery to another location since it may not have signal lights and likely doesn't drive at 50km/h?

    I'm just guessing, but having moved machinery on roads there are some specific precautions they have to take.

  99. #499

    Default

    I've passed/been passed by those sweepers many times on the multiuse paths, never once did they have escorts. I can't imagine why they would need them to sweep a sidewalk.

    Edit: I've also seen them travel un-escorted on collector and arterial roads. They don't need help, they just shut off the sweeper and wait if there's someone passing.
    Last edited by Highlander II; 19-04-2018 at 03:37 PM.
    There can only be one.

  100. #500
    C2E Junkie *
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,766
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Oh Edmonton Edmonton Edmonton....

    (...)
    Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Ditto

    (...)
    @ianoyeg

    ...while annoying and upsetting...it isn't an Edmonton problem. Seattle had tons of this when I was there last week. It is an unfortunate side effect of just enough idiots who don't care...

    Sad as it is...

    I can't help but notice the cigarette butts in the flowerpot...telling...
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •