Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Spring melt garbage - That time of the year again

C2E Long Term Contributor

Likewise, the front of my building has temporary No Parking signs. Unfortunately many idiots are choosing to ignore them. For the love of God, City, ticket and tow them all if they don't move.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

I noticed the cleaners in front of my place (110 Street near 99th Ave) and also noticed all the parked cars. It could be that they are lifting a bulk of the gravel and other detritus and will come back later for fine-tuning.

Tow or tag and fine.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Agreed. Why they don't follow through is beyond me. Poor planning? What's the excuse?

I'd rather C2E than work!

There is no excuse.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    There is no excuse.
    No legitimate excuse. But the city has one for everything.

Our street was swept yesterday and despite the signs our ***** neighbour leaves one of his cars parked on the street so that part of the street wasn't swept properly. And of course, this car was parked partly in front of our house.

When is this ridiculous city government and staff going to start requiring people to move their vehicles when the streets are being swept or plowed? When are they going to figure out that those signs "asking" people to move their vehicles don't work?

It's pretty simple. I pay my taxes, I want my street swept and plowed properly and I want my neighbourhood to look nice. Is that really too much to ask? Why is so much leeway given to the inconsiderate people in this city?

Provide the neighbour with a friendly note asking them to sweep and clean that spot.
    www.decl.org

I saw a street cleaner cruising down Argyll Road today. Wonder where it was headed to clean?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaerdo View Post
    I saw a street cleaner cruising down Argyll Road today. Wonder where it was headed to clean?
    Somewhere in the city I suppose? Maybe one of those car oriented suburbs you despise.

Are the main streets with pedestrians complete yet? Nope...
    www.decl.org

I have a comment... I know that we rely on the CoE to sweep the streets, sidewalks, etc... I agree with this 100% as they have the equipment to deal with the huge amounts of sand that the put down in the winter (too much too often IMO.)

What I would like to see, however, is our residents, shop owners, and landlords take a more proactive approach to this spring cleaning. Let's all get out and sweep the sidewalk and gutter immediately in front of our own homes or businesses. 20 minutes of work will improve things for all the residents of our city. Then the city can come with their heavy equipment to do the final polishing.

I'm in the process of building a home and once it is complete you can be damn sure I will be out there often sweeping up in front and behind my property. Let's all chip in!

I can't figure out why business owners haven't clued in to cleaning outside their shops. I guess Edmontonian business owners don't care about keeping their property attractive.

In cities around the world you can see employees outside daily sweeping the sidewalk and picking up garbage. Not in Edmonton, where they are content to have customers trudge through piles of garbage and muck.

^yup, far more care and attention in other cities on the whole.

I went out and swept out condo's perimeter for the second time last night pre-streetsweep as it seems like each year the sidewalks retain their gravel post clean.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Jaerdo View Post
    8555 - Argyll Road NW.

The building on the NE corner of Jasper / 104St is great at having someone out sweeping each morning. Let's get more to follow suit!

I noticed that one of the worst for this is city centre mall. There is constantly pigeon poop all over 102 ave sidewalks making for an unpleasant walk.

DECL will be out this weekend doing its immediate area and on May 1 our larger cleanup of the rest of Downtown. Please consider joining/assisting us.

www.decl.org

Used to always be on a Saturday.

Why the change ?

They want divine intervention?
    www.decl.org

One bonus in all this is that I snagged a couple of buckets of grit to toss on my sidewalk next winter. The City never replenishes the one little sandbox in our area.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Was last week the first week of April for street sweeping, or is this week Jasper/Whyte (pedestrian street) sweeping week?

If I hit up patios for dinner/brunch this weekend (+20 Friday?) will it be clean? Whyte Ave stores I know do sweep for a good part but it's futile for the street junk gets everywhere all over again. You get the grime from two block down.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Much a McKay now clean. Credit where credit is due to the COE.
    www.decl.org

Yeah, Top_Dawg noticed they swept the streets around Grandin and by and large did a pretty good job.

I encountered another large appearing to be abandoned ravine-camp with many needles. For the droves, hopefully, who'll join our cleaning blitz City of Edmonton safe needle disposal PDF

I realise the city's camp clean-up unit are swamped; however, camps which I've reported and gave the co-ordinates to are still there 12 months later, not all of them are inhabited and frankly not good enough. I've cleaned-up a number myself.

Supplying free labour, then. No wonder the City doesn't bother. Good on ya, though. And shame on them.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Cheers Howie, it must be echoes of decades past when I was a lad attending school in Scotland. The school had very large grounds attached to the common and links as well. Every year was on a compulsory grounds-keeping rota which also included faculty. Everyone quite enjoyed it never thought of as punishment nor demeaning. On fairer days, when the rain wasn't horizontal, we'd often have a discussion/lesson with our religious knowledge teacher about the ecology, stewardship, various cultures/faiths and their practices. Although now older I get a tad upset with trash and crap blowing all of the place and too many doing bugger all, some if it literally in their own back gardens.

My elementary school used to have an annual event where we went around the neighbourhood the school was in cleaning up garbage. Not sure if schools do that anymore here. We used to find some pretty disgusting things, used rubbers to needles for example

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    Supplying free labour, then. No wonder the City doesn't bother. Good on ya, though. And shame on them.
    Yes, it would be nice if the COE would get around to mowing last year's noxious weeds on their land.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

The green belt at the back of our house is greening up nicely. Too bad it'll be yellowing up nicely with this year's eager crop of dandelions. But on the bright side, the bees love a nice dandelion. Wish I could share their enthusiasm.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E Posting Power

Please say the whitemud and yellowhead onramps have signage indicating that "road cleanup will be happening soon?"

I'm surprised nobody's necroed this yet!
    How's the spring cleaning this year?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

It's too bad the city quit planting flowers, Edmonton looks like a dumps of sorts and I never fell for the whole distraction thing, it's all a lie.

Quote Originally Posted by champking View Post
    It's too bad the city quit planting flowers, Edmonton looks like a dumps of sorts and I never fell for the whole distraction thing, it's all a lie.
    That was Phairs idea, they distracted people..bawhahahah

Quote Originally Posted by hello lady View Post
    That was Phairs idea, they distracted people..bawhahahah
    Issue is: they treat us like dummy's lie to us ! . are you a dummy ? hells no ! fight back ! Best way is financial . I gave up on these POS wrecking my home,...I seriously was importing my materials from Winnipeg before give the city money. I closed my business. Next step we leaving the province for good. They say for every trades job lost , 5 are lost , they lost about 50 with me
    Last edited by champking; 29-03-2017 at 08:51 PM.

Later craig the dogkiller. I mean dakine. You'll love manitoba

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Later craig the dogkiller. I mean dakine. You'll love manitoba
    Can't hurt me it only makes me stronger
    Last edited by champking; 29-03-2017 at 10:28 PM.

I'm let you guys in on a little secret . as an INFOWAR we don't name call, we don't give personal attacks and how we winning . We have discredited the left, they fake news

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Hahaha... behind the scenes

I hope everyone gets out this weekend and does a clean of their block, sweeps their sidewalks and encourages their neighbours to do the same.
    www.decl.org

I'm let you guys in on a little secret . as an INFOWAR we don't name call, we don't give personal attacks and how we winning . We have discredited the left, they fake news
    You dont call mandel scamdel and all the other names you use?

Yeah, Top_Dawg just knew this annual gala of hand wringing, navel gazing, and group masturbation was coming very soon.

Hey champking, do you think you could get a basic grasp of English before you post any more stuff? You're bloody hard work.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E SME

I saw a leaf blower blowing away gravel at Rogers Place today.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Can someone tell me why the city can sand every sidewalk in this city in 48 hrs following a freezing rain event and yet it takes weeks to sweep them off in the spring. All they do is sweep the sand onto the grass. It makes no sense. Our sidewalks should be swept by now.

The COE likes the Sahara Theme.

I am think we should begin calling the season formerly known as Spring, the color Taupe..
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

It's really bad out there and there seems to have been a definite slow down in getting to work this year compared to the last few years when it seemed the city had picked up their game a bit.

spring seems to have a started a little later this year

C2E Posting Power

Haven't been home in a while.....street sweepers making any progress? Btw, when does the city release their 2017 road construction schedule - curious to see if any portions of the Whitemud get paved this year......

Can't have the city look nice . It be a distraction to motorists

C2E Posting Power

Come again?

^resident troll, just ignore.

Our streets were done last Friday.

Must say the did the west side of 97th. St. between 167th. Ave and 153 Ave. Cut the grass, cleared the garbage. It looked awesome. Best I have seen it in a long time.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    Come again?
    In reference to a city clowncil . That ban planting flowers for ' it might be a distraction ' if you can believe that retardation .
    Last edited by champking; 01-05-2017 at 01:03 PM.

Where did council ban planting flowers? You stoned again?

If you go back to 2007 you can find threads here on it. It's to bad a stoner have better memory. You should maybe get brain check out lol
    Last edited by champking; 01-05-2017 at 01:18 PM.

They didn't. Heck, they even encourage the public to plant on public lands!

https://www.edmonton.ca/programs_ser...-property.aspx
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post

they had corporate sponsored flower beds with company logos on Whitemud medians and they removed them, stating that they were too distracting.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I did notice that the City went and brushed off all the medians, sidewalks and curbs about 3 weeks ago in the 149 Street and 118 avenue area. Which is a great idea, if you're going to pick it up soon after. Instead, they let the piles of dirt and mud and dead grass sit there for 3-4 days, then it started snowing. Near as I can tell, all that junk has either made it's way back on to the sidewalks and medians, or still sits piled along the curbs nearly a month later. I look forward to seeing this process repeated.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post

they had corporate sponsored flower beds with company logos on Whitemud medians and they removed them, stating that they were too distracting.
    that was a pilot project and the city discontinued it. It was advertising mostly. The city hasn't banned planting flowers as you first suggest. Go smoke another one.

Those corporate flower ads started fine but ended up as mostly plastic crap if iirc correctly!

C2E Posting Power

Live in the "now" much? That was over 12 years ago min......you sound like a troll living in a foreign country who likes stirring up ****.....your grammar certainly indicates this...lol. You should really **** off....

Calls for Edmonton to prioritize pedestrian hot spots when it comes to spring cleaning

http://globalnews.ca/news/3418407/ca.../?sf75086211=1

A couple of familiar names in this piece!

Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    Live in the "now" much? That was over 12 years ago min......you sound like a troll living in a foreign country who likes stirring up ****.....your grammar certainly indicates this...lol. You should really **** off....
    It's the lame excuses the city comes up with . But yes those were the scamdel years when it was about maximizing Daryl Katz profits

Those corporate flower ads were, according to the COE, were too distracting for drivers

20 million candle power, flashing animated jumbotron billboards are,
    according to the COE, not...
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 01-05-2017 at 09:51 PM.

I think that the COE has the wrong approach to street sweeping.

Rather than focusing on kilometers of streets swept, IMHO, they should focus on tonnage picked up.

This city uses about 180,000 tons of sand in a typical season. Once the sand is at the curb, it is useless. If there is a break in weather, even in early March, start sweeping. Although it may mean more kilometers driven, it can be done at a faster pace and keep the excess dust storms to a minimum. I think everyone would appreciate cleaner streets in spring, less trash in the gutters and less delays in cleaning up that drags often into the summer months.

Think about it as mowing the lawn. You don't wait until September to mow.

The City roads and medians are filthy

I have seen several strips that have supposedly been 'done' but they still have bits of gravel scattered around.

And the City has not been enforcing no parking in residential areas - as a result the sweepers simply go around parked cars leaving the dirt on the ground.

^ If you see shoddy work like that, report it to 311 along with a pic if you can. That's certainly more effective than posting about it here.

Calls for Edmonton to prioritize pedestrian hot spots when it comes to spring cleaning

http://globalnews.ca/news/3418407/ca.../?sf75086211=1

A couple of familiar names in this piece!

Top_Dawg loves it.

The entitlement is hilarious.

In that pathetic sort of way.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

Top_Dawg loves it.

The entitlement is hilarious.

In that pathetic sort of way.
    "Local urbanist busybodies upset City of Edmonton policies/priorities not identical to their own & upset that their personal proximity to less-than-ideal situations does not carry more weight."

Also works for The Arlington & a whole host of the "Downtown Uber Alles" schticks.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

City business owners need to do more themselves. Show some civic pride. In bigger 'world' cities, store owners along pedestrian hot spots the store owners hose down the sidewalk and clean up any garbage on a daily basis. Many of these hot spots have a paid organization or Local Business zone/association that group together to pay for sidewalk cleaning on a near daily schedule, or at least once a week.

That said, Edmonton is very clean city. Some of you need to get out more.

Annual DECL community cleanup and BBQ this Sunday. Hope to see you there!

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg

https://www.facebook.com/events/206003389892090/
    www.decl.org

City business owners need to do more themselves. Show some civic pride. In bigger 'world' cities, store owners along pedestrian hot spots the store owners hose down the sidewalk and clean up any garbage on a daily basis. Many of these hot spots have a paid organization or Local Business zone/association that group together to pay for sidewalk cleaning on a near daily schedule, or at least once a week.

100% agreed that business owners, property owners, tenants, landlords and residents need to get out in front of their homes/businesses and blocks to sweep, wash and care for. The City cannot be expected to do it all. That said, we do not do a good enough job or have a high enough standard or care.
    www.decl.org

100% agree as well.

Can't believe how many shops have filthy windows and store fronts. Take pride and clean up the front and back, wash the sidewalk at least weekly. Maybe do your neighbouring business as well and create a community of shared good business ethics. When my wife ran a bookstore in the Highstreet area, I sweep the front of the entire plaza of the 5 or 6 businesses and shaved off a built up 6 inch thick layer of sand and weeds along the curb as the sweepers approached. Got a nice wave of appreciation from the operator of the street sweeper who had to make two passes to pick up the large piles of sand.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post

100% agreed that business owners, property owners, tenants, landlords and residents need to get out in front of their homes/businesses and blocks to sweep, wash and care for. The City cannot be expected to do it all. That said, we do not do a good enough job or have a high enough standard or care.
    Totally agree. A couple weeks back I grabbed some gloves and garbage bags and cleaned up the walkway behind our house. Basically cleaned up the length of two city blocks. I know of one other neighbour who does this but no one else.

I'm on a RANT HERE!!! ...

Then on Sunday I grabbed some 'doggy poop bags' when I took my daughter to the playground. Picked up cigarette butts, broken glass, a rusty old beer cap, loads of wrappers, band aids, etc. (I just don't understand how other parents - all other parents - can just sit their on their asses while little kids and toddlers play in the sand - just telling their kids to keep their shoes on and not to pick up anything. F'ing lazy my mind - or a cultural thing - or 'it's below us to touch that stuff' - 'it's someone else's job' - or 'it's just fine as I don't give a '*****' ...

Before we moved our girl out of the elementary school into a private school last year, I was at this playground regularly after school. I always took a plastic bag to allow me to wonder about and clean up the crap dumped in the playground. Four years going there - never once saw any other mother or fathers get off their smartphone to clean up where their own kids are playing. I'm so disgusted with slothful neighbours and parents that I'd move but I don't think it's better anywhere else. (In fact I've picked up crap in other playgrounds we've visited for their playground features (St. Albert, Laurier Heights, Westridge, Rio T...).

Now here's a hilarious one:

A week or so back when it snowed, I shovelled off about 6 or 7 sidewalks (couple neighbours with health / mobility issues and great neighbours in-between that do my snow too, so we somewhat tag team it). However I also shovel the other way despite my wife's protests. So, I did the immediate neighbour on the other side, since they rarely get out and do it themselves, but was I dead tired and stopped a foot or so short of the edge of their property line (everything was white so I didn't look to carefully).

Well, the next neighbour over came out - AND GET THIS: He shovelled his sidewalk but left this short shovel or two width piece of un-shovelled sidewalk next to his property line. What an ***!

Then further down the street there's a man in a wheel chair that needs DATS to get around. I have a whole other RANT for his neighbours.
    Last edited by KC; 02-05-2017 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

Totally agree. A couple weeks back I grabbed some gloves and garbage bags and cleaned up the walkway behind our house. Basically cleaned up the length of two city blocks. I know of one other neighbour who does this but no one else.

Then on Sunday I grabbed some 'doggy poop bags' when I took my daughter to the playground. Picked up cigarette butts, broken glass, a rusty old beer cap, loads of wrappers, band aids, etc. (I just don't understand how other parents - all other parents - can just sit their on their asses while little kids and toddlers play in the sand - just telling their kids to keep their shoes on and not to pick up anything. F'ing lazy my mind - or a cultural thing - or 'it's below us to touch that stuff' - 'it's someone else's job' - or 'it's just fine as I don't give a '*****' ...
    obviously picking up your smartphone and reading what the Jones' just posted on facebook is far more important than civic pride, or even community pride. "I didn't make the mess why should I clean it up"

The COE does have to improve the regular cleanup and emptying of curbside trash cans. We are all schooled to put our trash in the cans but many times you find them overflowing.

I've used the 311 app on my phone to report overflowing garbage cans and the city sends someone right away... (the 311 app is great... used it a lot for abandoned vehicles now too instead of calling bylaw and answering a million unrelated questions)

that said, yes, they should be on it more often. It's always the same garbage cans that are overflowing. Trend it, and increase the frequency. Not hard to figure out.

obviously picking up your smartphone and reading what the Jones' just posted on facebook is far more important than civic pride, or even community pride. "I didn't make the mess why should I clean it up"
    I kept adding more to my comment. I could go on and on.

And I don't see myself as overly neighbourly or helpful or full of civic or community pride. I'm a lazy F _ _ _ myself, but when I think of the people in my neighbourhood I just can't comprehend what their lives are like.
    Last edited by KC; 02-05-2017 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    The COE does have to improve the regular cleanup and emptying of curbside trash cans. We are all schooled to put our trash in the cans but many times you find them overflowing.
    Minor, minor, minor issue. The vast majority of cans still have room in them but you'll see that people toss trash within a few steps of the cans. (Imagine how demoralizing those city jobs are!)

I've used the 311 app on my phone to report overflowing garbage cans and the city sends someone right away... (the 311 app is great... used it a lot for abandoned vehicles now too instead of calling bylaw and answering a million unrelated questions)

that said, yes, they should be on it more often. It's always the same garbage cans that are overflowing. Trend it, and increase the frequency. Not hard to figure out.
    Ask them to double up the cans. Problem solved, labour and cost efficiency created.

Minor, minor, minor issue. The vast majority of cans still have room in them but you'll see that people toss trash within a few steps of the cans. (Imagine how demoralizing those city jobs are!)

Often Top_Dawg gets a laugh out of the overflowing receptacles.

Many times they are the result of somebody jamming some oversized piece into them that blocks or partially blocks any other garbage.

Top_Dawg sees this all over the city.

And it's really kind of a mystery.

Because Top_Dawg never sees anybody walking around carrying a large pizza box.

But more often than not, it's a large pizza box jamming up the $hitcans.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

Often Top_Dawg gets a laugh out of the overflowing receptacles.

Many times they are the result of somebody jamming some oversized piece into them that blocks or partially blocks any other garbage.

Top_Dawg sees this all over the city.

And it's really kind of a mystery.

Because Top_Dawg never sees anybody walking around carrying a large pizza box.

But more often than not, it's a large pizza box jamming up the $hitcans.

Hilarious. I've seen that too!

I think it's the 3 am-hey-cabby-there's-a-pizza-shop.-Drop-us-there-let's-get-take-out-and-walk-home-crowd.

What upsets me is when people use trashcans for domestic bags instead of walking that extra 50' to their residential bin.
    www.decl.org

Ask them to double up the cans. Problem solved, labour and cost efficiency created.
    and more convenient too..

As North Korea would say, it ain't rocket science you know...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345