Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Spring melt garbage - That time of the year again

C2E Long Term Contributor

' It's not only the city's responsibility to clean it up, its all of us. From our community leagues, business owners and property owners and managers... get this filthy city cleaned up.'

Bingo
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Ya I see people on our busiest streets getting choked out from dust when a larger vehicle passes by or catching a bus. We needed street cleaners a week ago.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

^but with that said, it is amazing how few businesses, organizations or private residences do their part. A simple sweep of the sidewalk or washing of windows would do wonders.
    www.decl.org

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Could not agree more, Ian. Travelling along the Yellowhead Trail at the Beverly Bridge this weekend I was appalled at the amount of litter. It is truly disgusting and a black eye for this city. Where is the pride from both our citizens and the civic leaders? This is an issue that needs attention.

Here all of you go 32 k and shes yours

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-heavy-equipme...per/1058076671

Now maybe you can do something about the streets instead of going on and on about it every time this year, knowing that we get snow up until the may long weekend at the latest.

Many of us actually do do something about it.

Whats that complain about it on a forum that the city most likely doesn't read or knows that it exists oh yes that does so much.........
    Last edited by Magnoblade; 06-04-2015 at 08:30 PM.

there there... *pats you on the head*

I have seem some street sweepers. They did about a 3 block stretch in my neck of the woods, then left. Not even sure why they showed up. I simply don't understand why they're not out in full force? We've basically been snow-free since February, other than a couple small dumps that melted the next day.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

^Do i need to make a bigger font for you as well so you can understand.

We get snow up until the may long weekend at the latest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doesn't mean we cannot plan for inner city cleaning in April of major routes. A healthy city means clean streets. Downtown and Oliver (Jasper Ave) and Strathcona (Whyte) should get something as major pedestrian and visitor destinations. Our streets should not just be cleaned "once a year", so to speak. Not thorough sweeping by any means, but Downtown with high winds could deserve a little love. Cycling is especially dangerous in April due to most shoulders being sand boxes to ride on, and I find myself " blocking traffic" to avoid skidding out on gravel. As a transit user and walker of our main pedestrian areas... A street clean is almost necessary to mitigate horrible urban conditions. Though... I'd hate to be the one releasing a bill to Edmontonians.

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

I too don't understand why cleaning can't happen during spells like this. The more crap you can take off the roads early in the season, the less there is when the official cleanup happens. I, for one, always look forward to when the winter sanding gets pulled off the roadways.

If there's more snow, well it happens. The fellows can leave their street cleaning machines and start driving their plows.

Eve

The dust when buses go by on whyte, 109st, Jasper is disgusting. I cannot believe ^^we don't have those done.
    www.decl.org

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Magnoblade View Post
    ^Do i need to make a bigger font for you as well so you can understand.

We get snow up until the may long weekend at the latest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Point being? Even if we get snow ^in april or may it is unlikely we need to use gravel or sand and even it is required ^in some areas, resweep them. We had sweepers out in march downtown, but disappeared since. I drove around this weekend and was amazed to see nowhere touched.
    www.decl.org

Hey it could snow in June, ya know! We can't sweep til then!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

...and if in June, we might as well not cleanup each year because it may snow in Sept.
    www.decl.org

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    The dust when buses go by on whyte, 109st, Jasper is disgusting. I cannot believe ^^we don't have those done.
    Not to mention trucks that JUST have to drive along the curb where sand is piled and throw up clouds of dust that would make Lawrence of Arabia proud.
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    I have seem some street sweepers. They did about a 3 block stretch in my neck of the woods, then left. Not even sure why they showed up. I simply don't understand why they're not out in full force? We've basically been snow-free since February, other than a couple small dumps that melted the next day.
    Same half-assed job here. The first 300 metres of our collector road looking good. The other km or so, not so much.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

I feel like this same stuff happens every year. is city council just not getting the message or are they just not following up on this annual concern. street sweepers should be out in full force by now.

in an unrelated thought, people who get community service should be made to broom sweep and pressure wash sidewalks and streets.
    be offended! figure out why later...

They did some very spotty work along 106ave right around Capilano, but only a few blocks worth. Very strange.

Out walking the dog last night, and while walking along the residential bus routes, the plumes of dust from passing busses was obscene. I can see not doing all residential streets until later in the spring, but along bus routes and along arterials they should have been working on ti by now

Kind-of given up being disapointed with the city though. Just not worth it
    Parkdale

Obscene indeed... 109st from whyte to sask drive was a desert storm and Jasper I had full exfoliation.

How can we clear the city of snow in 72hrs or so, but it literally takes months to clean? How are key pedestrian areas such as Whyte, 118, Downtown, 124 Street etc. no done night 1?!?!?!?!

Incomprehensible.
    www.decl.org

The city doesn't clear the snow in 72hrs...

If you think the dust storm is ugly, try driving to/from out airport from downtown and see all the garbage littered everywhere, Calgary Trail especially bad from Whitemud to Henday. I saw more garbage than grass I'm sure.
    **I did see a group of citizens picking up garbage along the fence line along the SW portion of the Henday!

What I don't get about street cleaning in key areas Iano has mentioned is how come its only done twice a year? This should be done at least once a month all year round, but even more than the city doing street sweeping, where are the business owners along this streets?!?! Where is their pride of ownership?!!?
    Last edited by Medwards; 07-04-2015 at 04:09 PM.

The issue is many business owners only sweep a little cause most grime comes from the unswept streets. You broom and more comes, repeat. With winds and garbage in city streets you see the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    The city doesn't clear the snow in 72hrs...

If you think the dust storm is ugly, try driving to/from out airport from downtown and see all the garbage littered everywhere, Calgary Trail especially bad from Whitemud to Henday. I saw more garbage than grass I'm sure.
    **I did see a group of citizens picking up garbage along the fence line along the SW portion of the Henday!

What I don't get about street cleaning in key areas Iano has mentioned is how come its only done twice a year? This should be done at least once a month all year round, but even more than the city doing street sweeping, where are the business owners along this streets?!?! Where is their pride of ownership?!!?
    Major roadways, congested areas like Downtown and bus routes, sure it does...

How come we cannot do that with sweepers?

It is most definitely a shared venture, get a broom, wash a window.

Airport to the City and all major entrances for that matter are putrid.
    www.decl.org

I certainly have the same concerns as everyone else regarding the grit and garbage. Here are my observations from driving throughout the city today: 118 ave from 34 st to 97 st has been swept at least once and looks fairly good. The downtown core looked clean and appeared to have been swept at least once. The amount of garbage on some of the boulevards is disgusting! Why does it take the city so long to clear off the sidewalks and cement medians? They can coat the sidewalks with sand in 24 hours yet it takes weeks to sweep it up. Why? We need to get out MUCH sooner, weather permitting, to clean up in the spring and do a much more thorough job then we currently do.

highlander

112 was also don and looks decent, but they didn't do the boulevards yet. There are some businesses that do a great Job. Chinatown is usually decently clean, the owners of the Hull Block have someone out every day.

Dowtown was done for Crashed Ice. Heavy winds brought new grit in.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Downtown core was clean today, I walked along 104 Street and noticed the sidewalks had been swept which was a nice change from previous years. Unfortunately we complain about this every year but the "powers that be" never change the way things get done. It will start looking much better in the next couple of weeks.

Street cleaning signs for 3rd week of April in my hood.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Jaerdo View Post
    Pie in the sky idea for the cleanliness/spring section: organize volunteer armies in return for property tax credits.

Get land owners out shoveling, sweeping, picking up garbage, etc, have an employee record their time, and give them a small tax credit per hour. They can bring their own leaf blowers, brooms, shovels, garbage bags. Bill it as a good civic pride/volunteer opportunity, with a special bonus of lower property taxes that month.
    We need this year-round.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Dowtown was done for Crashed Ice. Heavy winds brought new grit in.
    Downtown was partially done and marginally at best.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Downtown core was clean today
    Perhaps your small portion, but as a whole it is disgusting.
    www.decl.org

Street sweeping Downtown and Strathcona should be a priority. Go where the peds are. These are the people most affected by dust and debris blowing in their faces. It is rather embarrassing walking people from out of town around and quite disgusting as an everyday ped commuter from Oliver to DT.

This should be done ASAP when the snow melts. If you want people to walk and live an urban areas, these urban areas can't be gravel pits for 3-4 months after the snow is gone.

highlander

Yep, they should be going with the full fleet everyday until everything's clean. There's shouldn't really be anything left that was sanded in the winter that hasn't been swept by now.

Downtown to be swept '3rd week of April'.... but unfortunately that does not usually include the Leg and McKay avenue because we are 'Rossdale'.

Stupidity at its best.
    www.decl.org

^That streetsweeper is still for sale ian.......

Is there an actual link on the C of E site. I looked this morning and they are still listing neighbourhood blading Now don't get started on why 2 online pothole reports sent on the same day within half a block part are only half done. One street is done and potholes not more the 150 feet on another street are not. My Gawd it is just farking amazing.

"Perhaps your small portion, but as a whole it is disgusting."

I don't live or work downtown Ian, so I'm not sure where that remark came from. I was referring to the portion of downtown I walked and drove around yesterday, which was a small sample size. Your portion of "downtown" is no more disgusting than any other part of the city. As a whole we need to do a much better job of looking after this city of a year round basis. If we did, this city would not be so bad come spring.

Downtown to be swept '3rd week of April'.... but unfortunately that does not usually include the Leg and McKay avenue because we are 'Rossdale'.

Stupidity at its best.
    Really? I live just on the cusp of Rossdale and there are 3rd week of April signs all over the place.

Trust me, they provided the maps to me last year. You are downtown, we are Rossdale.
    www.decl.org

You guyz think downtown is bad.

Try curb lane of 99 street southbound as well as the sidewalk between 82 avenue and Argyll.

It's like a gravel quarry.

Is this because of union labour?

No offense, but my community is just as important as downtown. My taxes are as good as your taxes. I'd like my streets swept with the same priority. People walk where I live too.

All areas are important, but certain areas should have priority for a variety of reasons.

Thanks for playing
    www.decl.org

It's as if Edmonton only has one street sweeper. All areas of the city are important IanO, but mccay and rossdale don't/shouldn't need more priority than other residential neighbourhoods. Downtown, Whyte avenue area should get higher priority.

I'll gladly volunteer the skid-steers that were scraping the grit off the shoulders of 170th SW last night between 9:30-11:00pm to the downtown/whyte cause. My god that was loud. Nary a streetsweeper to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    I'll gladly volunteer the skid-steers that were scraping the grit off the shoulders of 170th SW last night between 9:30-11:00pm to the downtown/whyte cause. My god that was loud. Nary a streetsweeper to be seen.
    Just another well thought out plan here in Garlic City

It's as if Edmonton only has one street sweeper. All areas of the city are important IanO, but mccay and rossdale don't/shouldn't need more priority than other residential neighbourhoods. Downtown, Whyte avenue area should get higher priority.
    Rossdale I agree, but Mckay includes 105st, 106st, 107st, the Leg according to their maps... you know our Provincial Capital and major entrances and exits into the core.
    www.decl.org

Rossdale I agree, but Mckay includes 105st, 106st, 107st, the Leg according to their maps... you know our Provincial Capital and major entrances and exits into the core.
    Aktuly, dats xackly where all the ***** and garbabe should be dumped.

link to map? I'm curious

The City declined to provide me one, but described it... I have asked for a review and inquiry, I guess it was forgotten about.
    www.decl.org

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Dear Neighbors,
    Please take care of all your spilled garbage along the laneway. I am tired of looking at shredded bags and your junk pile. Yes, it was me that threw your swollen dirty diapers over your fence. Please do something with all that craap you left out there that the garbage man will not take because it is too long or not bundled. While your at it, trim the bushes hanging in the way, and get a lids for your garbage cans.

Thanks C2E - that felt good.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Street sweeping in Riverbend today.

They were sweeping sidewalks and streets around the stadium yesterday

They also seem to have swept the Capilano bridge, and it looks okay, but both approaches are beyond disgusting! So much dirt and garbage
    Parkdale

Correct, decent map, but often incorrect. Last year we were shown as complete in late April, but did not get done until early May.

It says 'April 13 - scheduled' for our area and yet no signs are up to my knowledge.

My work address says 'April 13', which is what the sign says outside of our office, ie. 3rd week.
    www.decl.org

Did you see the note about downtown ? This is the residential street cleaning...

"The schedule will be updated as required to reflect current progress.
    Your neighbourhood area may take more than one day to complete.
    This map does not include bus routes or major roads - if you live along a bus route, your schedule will differ.
    Downtown is not part of the residential street cleaning schedule."

Well their signs around downtown seem to say otherwise...
    www.decl.org

Been like this since Oct, 99 Ave and 105St.

(http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...psrrblorzr.jpg)
    www.decl.org

Looks like a residential road?

Unacceptable and keep in mind that sweepers went by in March... no I am serious... but no notice so parked cars prevented them from being effective.
    www.decl.org

highlander

Residential streets don't get sanded, except downtown. That's one reason that all of downtown should get a once-over first, when arterials and collectors are getting a sweep.

^ then how the heck did we end up with a think layer of gravel all over our street in Gold Bar ?
    Parkdale

highlander

Maybe you live on a collector/bus route?

I have noticed the boulevards have been swept very poorly this year. Lots of scattered gravel also left on roads that have been "complete".
    The city needs some quality control...

I believe residential streets get sanded if required (after a freezing rain event).

Quote Originally Posted by AAAAE View Post
    I have noticed the boulevards have been swept very poorly this year. Lots of scattered gravel also left on roads that have been "complete".
    The city needs some quality control...
    or they've only done the first pass so far. In my observations from previous years, they do a dry sweep first, and come back later and do a wet sweep.

That's correct.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Maybe you live on a collector/bus route?
    That's correct.. The collector route is at the end of our street

So your claim that only the resi streets in the downtown get sanded is incorrect

Bus routes should be cleaned as a priority as well
    Parkdale

^ and they are... see my previous posts

OK... it's official. This city has absolutely no pride. I am not sure how other entrances to the city are,but I am sure they are just as bad. I drove the stretch of 100 Ave from 184-178 street eastbound into the city. The sand and gravel is curb high in some spots only to be outdone by food wrappers and coffee cups. It would take no more than a couple of hours of sweeping to clean this mess up but God forbid if they deviate from their schedule.

Much to my delight some of Calgary Trail/Gateway Blvd grassy areas have been picked up. There must've been at least 100 bags of garage in one small section alone.

My question is - who are these people that are still littering? My estimates is that its 50-70 consumer waste... mostly tim hortons/mcdonalds/fast food cups/bags/etc... Do we live in a city of careless slobs (mostly a rhetorical question).

I've done my area in the SW... took a few hours but got many bags of garbage. If only most people in the city did the same, twice a year... we'd be laughing.

My theory is that a lot of it blows off of construction sites and out of open box trucks.

I've also been cleaning an area in the SW, and after the wind yesterday it definitely needs redoing

That windstorm from yesterday afternoon probably didn't help matters

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

The stuff that blows off of construction site and open box trucks, I'm willing to accept as "stuff happens". But there's absolutely no excuse for the fast food consumer crap. If you're in a vehicle you should have garbage receptacles that can be emptied at your destination. If you're walking, you either have pockets or those giant knapsacks I see on the bus all the time. Put the crap in the bag and the bag in your pocket or knapsack. Besides not many people are walking in those areas.

Ditto for the inner city but unfortunately there you need garbage containers that don't dispense their contents with every breeze. It's much harder to tell whether a piece of consumer garbage arrived on the street/sidewalk via a "proper" disposal or not.

Eve

^

While a noble idea, I have seen time and time again,people get up from their gourmet dinner of fast food and walk away leaving their crap for some poor schmuck to clean up.

To my surprise this year, the City did up 105st and then hit 99 Avenue both east and west of it... with interesting results. There were no parking signs placed on the north side of 99ave, but only parts of the south side. In both areas, cars were parked and so maybe 60% of the areas were cleaned. Why would you put signs on both sides of the street and then leave portions of said street unsigned?

I had also called 311 to let them know that the wind blew over almost all of the no parking signs on the weekend and while I placed about 10 of them back up, there were another 20-30 face down.

In from of my building west of 105st, the north side of 99 ave was done reasonably well, but the south side was hit maybe 20%.

I can only assume they are coming back, but it seems inefficient and to not send someone a few hours in advance to ensure signs are prominently displayed or in all areas they are coming to is a very poor procedure no?
    www.decl.org

Looks like downtown didn't want their streets cleaned. Oh well, you had your shot. Bring 'em to my neighbourhood!

Why can't they tow cars during cleaning? I don't understand.

Exactly... move them 20' forward.

So very inefficient, it kills me.

I have requested to be educated on this process and brought in to learn about their operations, perhaps even a ride along? We will see if that has any traction.
    www.decl.org

Sounds to Top_Dawg like a classic case of ' Be careful what you ask for '.

The city seems to refuse to tow people during snow removal this past winter, wondering if they got sued for damaging someone's car and now applying the same to street sweeping...?

I was informed that they DO NOT tow because of logistics and idle time for sweepers. How about going in 30mins prior and moving cars?

Offer on the table to have them come to a DECL meeting to educate and inform us of how their operations work and for us to provide them with empirical feedback.

What I was left with.

'we will return to the area when we can.'
    www.decl.org

^The ultimate brush-off, if you'll pardon the pun, from a bunch of incompetents.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

I can appreciate this is a busy time of the year for them, but their responses and general attitude to us wanting to provide constructive feedback and become educated is appalling. When you run a business where you do not listen to your 'customers' effectively and seem to be opposed to meeting with them when they have concerns, you get very little innovation and perhaps even some opportunities to improve service delivery.

argh
    www.decl.org

That's the CofE for ya.

BTW IanO, is that your Benz parked in front of the school ?

Merc, no thanks.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Why can't they tow cars during cleaning? I don't understand.
    Probably the same reason they don't tow to enforce rush hour parking bans, snow routes, etc.: the city simply has no balls when it comes to tough love. I mean, signs have only been up for decades - tow someone already.

Rant #1280321890308129

So my block was swept Sunday night, the no parking signs are still up and there.

Bravo
    www.decl.org

^^^Wow. For Old Strath I guess we're looking at April 27th earliest and into May 18 also. Two more weeks of eating bus dust on patios and walking around, I guess.

Seriously need ped-orientated and major urban arterial sweeps a priority. Bike lanes would help too. Many a cyclist I've talked to have either postponed their ride until streets are swept (even though they would have started cycling in March/early April, or venture out and stay clear of the curbs citing many dangerous adventures.

It is truly ridiculous.

Is it a resource issue? An operational issue? A management issue?

all of the above?
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

I can't even take my motorcycles out for a spin, as they're stored at my office and there is literally an inch of dirt and gravel along the curbs THAT WAS NEVER CLEANED LAST YEAR. And yes, a complaint was filed with 311 about that, along with the guys from Macroe Construction pulling out of their unpaved lot with dump trucks, dropping a ridiculous amount of mud and dirt on the road. Nothing was ever done about either, despite 311 claiming that they would send someone out to look and schedule an additional sweep of the area.

Pretty much every city in eastern Canada (Ontario especially) has some sort of bylaw in place to control on-street parking. This will range from no parking on city streets for more than 3 hours in a row to at the least an overnight parking ban during winter. They do this in order to get streets plowed or cleaned in a cost-effective and efficient matter and just to make the cities look better (i.e. no streets clogged with cars).

However, the City of Edmonton thinks that their ridiculous signs asking people to move their vehicles work. They don't!!! Why do they insist on letting a considerate few mean that the majority have to put up with dirty and/or improperly plowed streets? It really is incomprehensible.

^ Simple solution: have tow trucks arrive at site an hour before plows or cleaners do. Tow everyone away who is parked there.

People can collect their cars from the impound. Too bad, so sad. The fines might even help recover some cost of cleaning/plowing as an added benefit.

highlander

Anything left on the street at cleaning will be assumed to be garbage, and dealt with accordingly.

Most of the grime I would agree comes from under parked cars/in parking lanes... which for the most part the curb... then grime stays there all season. For towing during winter parking bans the City was having an issue with not being able to get enough tow truck drivers with all the other weather related issues , in the summer I don't know what the issue could be.

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    ^^^Wow. For Old Strath I guess we're looking at April 27th earliest and into May 18 also. Two more weeks of eating bus dust on patios and walking around, I guess.

Seriously need ped-orientated and major urban arterial sweeps a priority. Bike lanes would help too. Many a cyclist I've talked to have either postponed their ride until streets are swept (even though they would have started cycling in March/early April, or venture out and stay clear of the curbs citing many dangerous adventures.
    bus routes/downtown/commercial districts don't follow the same schedule, this is the residential street cleaning only...

Looks like venting helps, 99 ave was redone today.
    www.decl.org

You registered but never posted. username to be deleted.

(In terms of street sweeping, I've noticed most of the henday and associated overpasses are complete from the shoulder lanes to the street signs to the sidewalks on the overpasses but not much once you get into the city itself. Why?)
    The Henday was built as a P3 (design, build and operate). The private operator will hire contractors to undertake maintenance, including sweeping and garbage pick-up. Completely separate from what the City does and is responsible for.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast