Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: 102 Ave Bridge over Groat Road - Bridge Replacement | complete

That is much nicer than the old bridge.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

^ certainly a life changing experience for me...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

I'd rather C2E than work!

For motorcyclists it might be though, especially when you also consider they avoid the Walterdale Bridge too.

It's interesting that, on a project a year behind schedule, with wonderful weather and reasonable daylight until 8pm this time of year, the whole site is consistently empty not much past 5:00. Union labour? The daily penalty not enough to keep crews working overtime?

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

^good point. Perhaps the damages don't equal enough to cover the overtime costs? I can't say I am surprised given it's a CoE project.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    ^good point. Perhaps the damages don't equal enough to cover the overtime costs? I can't say I am surprised given it's a CoE project.
    $15k a day is a lot of OT...

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    But there would be a point at which paying the extra couple months penalty down the line is cheaper than the OT accrued to avoid it.

There may be other reasons too, like safety or an agreement with the neighbourhood, but it just seems odd that it's been pretty nice weather and, for example, the formwork for the dividers (simple carpentry) just stops at 5, leaving 3 or more hours (there's a light stack on the deck) with no progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    But there would be a point at which paying the extra couple months penalty down the line is cheaper than the OT accrued to avoid it.

There may be other reasons too, like safety or an agreement with the neighbourhood, but it just seems odd that it's been pretty nice weather and, for example, the formwork for the dividers (simple carpentry) just stops at 5, leaving 3 or more hours (there's a light stack on the deck) with no progress.
    At this point I don't care anymore. We have the same functional bridge as before whos lifespan will hold until this bridge gets finished. The Contractor is making decisions and being penalized $15k a day. It's not truly impacting anything other than the total cost at the benefit of the tax payer at this point.
    If this was 102ave that completely altered traffics patterns and impacted some businesses than I would think about it more.
    My gripe with this bridge is more about the final appearance now.

Ummm... this is the Groat (102 Ave) bridge discussion.

The Concrete sides have been poured and they have started to rip up the west approach past the old museum entrance all that's left are the sidewalk, lights, then the road surface and landscaping it seems.

They have a few cement trucks on the bridge itself now pouring the sidewalk. Im guessing this is a good test of the bridge as well so people can stop worrying it will fall into the valley.

C2E SME

Well looking at the live cam, it appears they are getting closer and closer to paving the roads leading up to the bridge. Form work for the sidewalks on the east side of the bridge are in place. I hope they pour these this coming week.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    Well looking at the live cam, it appears they are getting closer and closer to paving the roads leading up to the bridge. Form work for the sidewalks on the east side of the bridge are in place. I hope they pour these this coming week.
    There's a whole lotta tar waiting to be spread over all that concrete before paving!

There's a whole lotta tar waiting to be spread over all that concrete before paving!
    And tonight that paving is happening.

C2E Continued Contributor

^YAY

C2E SME

So I just had a look at the live camera and it appears that the entire bridge has been paved, the sidewalks have been poured. Now they have to pave the approaches to the bridge.

Does anyone know if they will be fixing up the sidewalk and pavement in front of Original Joe's too?

Does anyone know if they will be fixing up the sidewalk and pavement in front of Original Joe's too?
    Look at the lower-right corner, zoom in, and you'll see (faded now) spray-paint marks for cuts to the sidewalk just east of the driveway. Given that the rest of the area is getting serious street/sidewalk/curb renos they likely will coordinate with that too.
    Last edited by Spudly; 05-07-2016 at 07:21 PM.

C2E SME

Cool, I saw that thanks.

Well they are getting really close now, I really hope they can get this open soon so that not only will we get traffic down that road again, but also for the sake of the businesses that have had to suffer the very poor traffic due to construction.

Throwing a little light on the situation... light poles are going up.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Looked fully paved today as I walked by.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Looked fully paved today as I walked by.
    The paving on the bridge looks to be just a first layer over the concrete. It sits lower than the concrete expansion joints. But, there's paving going on right now to the west approach, and they may continue for the evening all the way. They certainly are on a tear.

www.decl.org

It looks like final paving is happening today.

They're going to have to now, the entryway and sidewalk and road are getting all busted up.

C2E Continued Contributor

Re-opening THIS FRIDAY in the morning.
    $2.00 $2.25 $2.50 $2.75 $2.85 $3.00 $3.20 $3.25

BOY that was quick!

Feels like it was just the other day when things got all bent out of shape!

Ian Kucerak/Edmonton Sun
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 13-07-2016 at 11:23 PM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

So what are the overpriced brick and mortars going to blame now for being places no one wants to shop at?
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I think blaming drinking establishments for destroying the fabric of the urban village is the hot-ticket go-to blame scenario going forward, for just about anything.
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Ya all the b*tchy old fogies have drifted to monologuing their genius in circles at each other elsewhere. And asking p*ssy hypotheticals to stroke their egos.

"That mega-bar 20 blocks away brought the riff-raff and now nobody comes to buy $2 ladles we sell for $30. It's a travesty!"

Now the rich Glenora customers can make it across for that part. Sure glad to see this opening, it's a regular route for me and I can't wait to use it. Hope there's not a big heavy truck beside me. It's a long way down.

Why are two lanes on the new bridge staying closed until the fall ?

For railings, earthwork on the hillsides, and removal of scaffolding. Groat Road will have to be closed at least once to remove the temporary netting. I think in this case "fall" means September, which is only 6 weeks away now.

The city said lane reductions will be needed during off-peak hours through the summer and into the fall to complete the finishing work. Groat Road and the multi-use trail on the west side of Groat Road will see "multiple weekend and overnight closures" in coming weeks, the city said.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...iday-1.3678961

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Almost.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

LOVE the bike component of this... 102 Avenue from 142-95st is going to be a very important corridor.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    So what are the overpriced brick and mortars going to blame now for being places no one wants to shop at?
    Odd, this was last weekend... maybe the busiest I have seen it.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...psqb4dc4t9.jpg
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    I think blaming drinking establishments for destroying the fabric of the urban village is the hot-ticket go-to blame scenario going forward, for just about anything.
    Uh huh

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...psjq5lcghp.jpg
    www.decl.org

LOVE the bike component of this... 102 Avenue from 142-95st is going to be a very important corridor.
    It won't go to 142st.
    And they somehow managed to put the barrier on the wrong side of the bike path.
    There can only be one.

^^ *whoooooosh*

(You were much more enjoyable on the forums when you could recognize & take a joke rather than just be one, Ian)
    Last edited by noodle; 15-07-2016 at 09:39 AM.
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    It won't go to 142st.
    And they somehow managed to put the barrier on the wrong side of the bike path.
    136, but for all intents 142.

http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...DT_APR2015.pdf
    www.decl.org

Odd, this was last weekend... maybe the busiest I have seen it.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...psqb4dc4t9.jpg
    Two thoughts: First, if this is the case, then the bridge closure has not impacted anything. Second, I'll take a guess that this was a Sunday for brunch, which is always busy.

Hardly. The last half-dozen blocks is a shared sidewalk, and it ends with a whimper and no clear way to go.
    There can only be one.

Two thoughts: First, if this is the case, then the bridge closure has not impacted anything. Second, I'll take a guess that this was a Sunday for brunch, which is always busy.
    This is Saturday afternoon, not Sunday morning. Still generally always this busy on the weekends though.

How I love my urban village!

This is Saturday afternoon, not Sunday morning. Still generally always this busy on the weekends though.

I thought villages had 18,000 seat arenas and skyscrapers? I'M SO CONFUSED!!!

It's almost as if it's a made up term that can be applied to just about anything that's not obviously suburban or rural!

I love my C2E Village!

I drove the bridge! It's real, and it's open!
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Seems the construction guys took the day off, and all 4 lanes are open. Plenty of room!

And it got a good rinse from the storm that rolled through.

News at Six: The business owners in the area and commutes are thrilled, bridge finally open!

Next in the News, local residents complain about increased traffic in their neighbourhood...

Yup. Many people in the area actually wish it had remained closed...
    www.decl.org

NIMBY's

Just hate them... LOL

Change of subject

TGIF!

It's time for a beer IanO, do you know any good sports pubs in downtown Deadmonton???

Think I may have to go for a drive tonight and check this thing out! Finally.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post
    Think I may have to go for a drive tonight and check this thing out! Finally.
    Funny. I wonder what it looks like.

In other words, I think I'll wait - and surprise myself if I even notice.

C2E SME

Well I'm very glad that traffic flow is more or less back to normal.

Well I'm very glad that traffic flow is more or less back to normal.
    Which, from looking at the camera since the reopening (and going through several hours each day), seems to be pretty minimal. Maybe people just don't know it's opened yet?

C2E SME

Most likely it's going to take a bit of time before most people realize that the bridge is open.

Took the new bridge to get to WEM yesterday, very nice to have the access restored.

This relieves A LOT of pressure from 104th and 107th avenues as well. AM commutes for westsiders heading east has been quite difficult the say the least...the positive here is the past two years has been a light indicator of what the LRT might do removing 2 lanes on stony plain road...and it won't come quite as close as what was experienced the past two years.

I had expected that but the (lack of) traffic I've seen is real surprising. I would have thought I'd see more than a half-dozen vehicles on the bridge in any 15-minute interval captured by the webcam, even on the rush-hours. Especially given all the wailing and gnashing of teeth at it being closed and the reopening being all over the news.

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    This relieves A LOT of pressure from 104th and 107th avenues as well. AM commutes for westsiders heading east has been quite difficult the say the least...the positive here is the past two years has been a light indicator of what the LRT might do removing 2 lanes on stony plain road...and it won't come quite as close as what was experienced the past two years.
    Whole different topic but I think they should change the west valley line to 107 Ave where there's tons of room, like a super wide ROW.

C2E Posting Power

I had expected that but the (lack of) traffic I've seen is real surprising. I would have thought I'd see more than a half-dozen vehicles on the bridge in any 15-minute interval captured by the webcam, even on the rush-hours. Especially given all the wailing and gnashing of teeth at it being closed and the reopening being all over the news.
    It typically takes motorists some time to adapt the habit of their daily commute to the availability of new routes. The SW and North legs of the Henday were sparsely used when they first opened too. Also it's vacation season right now, which is contributing to lighter traffic volumes around town in general. Let's see what things look like in September.

'Also it's vacation season right now'

This.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Whole different topic but I think they should change the west valley line to 107 Ave where there's tons of room, like a super wide ROW.
    107 Ave is easier, but provides less opportunity to change things for the better along its alignment.

Under this criteria, 107 Avenue performs well as the majority of its corridor mirrors that of 102 Avenue. Where it does differ, it primarily provides LRT at the edges of fully developed predominantly single family neighbourhoods, which border both north and south sides of 107 Avenue. This provides adjacent rather than direct access to neighbourhoods, but does not have the benefit of directly encouraging densification of redevelopment.

The 107 Avenue corridor provides limited station access where it crosses the Stony Plain Road business district on 156 Street, but does not take full advantage of the benefits of LRT investment in the area.

The visibility of LRT and the potential for multiple points of access to the LRT system are critical to maximizing ridership, as well as realizing the land use benefits associated with LRT. Given these impacts, the full land use benefits of LRT would likely not be realized along the 107 Avenue corridor.
    Taken from http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...ion_Report.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    107 Ave is easier, but provides less opportunity to change things for the better along its alignment.

Under this criteria, 107 Avenue performs well as the majority of its corridor mirrors that of 102 Avenue. Where it does differ, it primarily provides LRT at the edges of fully developed predominantly single family neighbourhoods, which border both north and south sides of 107 Avenue. This provides adjacent rather than direct access to neighbourhoods, but does not have the benefit of directly encouraging densification of redevelopment.

The 107 Avenue corridor provides limited station access where it crosses the Stony Plain Road business district on 156 Street, but does not take full advantage of the benefits of LRT investment in the area.

The visibility of LRT and the potential for multiple points of access to the LRT system are critical to maximizing ridership, as well as realizing the land use benefits associated with LRT. Given these impacts, the full land use benefits of LRT would likely not be realized along the 107 Avenue corridor.
    Taken from http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...ion_Report.pdf
    Got it. Plus it wouldn't be hard for automobiles to switch to 107 ave on their commute when the time comes
    Last edited by Drumbones; 18-07-2016 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
    It typically takes motorists some time to adapt the habit of their daily commute to the availability of new routes. The SW and North legs of the Henday were sparsely used when they first opened too. Also it's vacation season right now, which is contributing to lighter traffic volumes around town in general. Let's see what things look like in September.
    I remember the day the NW Henday opened. I took 'er for a rip and I was the only car on it, and I felt like I was in a foreign place. Can't wait to experience the new views from the NE Henday.

Maybe we can start a thread on AHD Lap Times when it gets completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Maybe we can start a thread on AHD Lap Times when it gets completed.
    I'm sure there'll be a few idiots posting that on YouTube or FB, then wondering how the police found them.

AHD will be 80k/50m around. Should be able to navigate that in half an hour. jk lol

Administrator *

Driving across the bridge:

Just needs suicide barriers now

You are right. I wonder if there is a plan. Hitting pavement and traffic is far more lethal than water. I hope this not mess up the design.

Lord I hope not. That Please Kill Yourself Elsewhere fence on the High Level is truly dreadful, what a blight on a fine old structure.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

It's so nice and wide.

First One is Always Free

After two years of detouring to 111 Ave because of the bridge closure, I'm back to Stony/104 Ave. Sooooooo nice.

Mid-Construction Season Update

102 Avenue Bike Route

With the opening of the 102 Avenue Bridge over Groat Road on July 15, the City sees its first section of cycle track.

The sidewalks on the bridge are still under construction (just beyond the black tarp) and until they open in September, the cycle track is being used as a shared-use path. Pedestrians and cyclists are urged to watch out for each other. Thanks for sharing!

The bridge's cycle track will connect with a shared-use path to the west, currently under construction, and a cycle track east which will begin construction in 2017.

Construction of the shared-use path from 136 Street to Connaught Drive is just beginning. Utilities are staked out along the sidewalk near the 102 Avenue bridge in preparation for construction. Further east, from 130 Street to 136 Street, the sidewalk is closed and has already been dug out. Please be careful in the area.

Construction of the shared-use path is on schedule and is expected to be complete by fall.

*New* If you find yourself at 102 Avenue and 130 Street, check out Edmonton's first traffic signal for cyclists. As the 102 Avenue cycle track builds out, more of these lights are planned.

On the other side of the river, construction is also well underway.

83 Avenue Bike Route

Construction of the bike boulevard from 99 Street to 96 Street includes the complete reconstruction of the road, curbs, gutters and adjacent sidewalks, To date, sidewalks on both sides of the street are complete except on the north side of 83 Avenue from 96 Street to 97 Street.

Currently, the intersection of 83 Avenue and 98 Street is closed for utility work. Cyclists are detouring using 84 Avenue, which is a fairly calm road due to construction in the area.

Work is expected to be complete by this fall.

Other News
    Downtown Temporary Bike Grid

On July 12, 2016, Councillor McKeen presented a motion at City Council “That Administration, in partnership with Stantec, provide an updated report on a minimum grid for physically separated bike lane infrastructure in the City of Edmonton's core and the report should include the potential use of relatively inexpensive (within existing resources) temporary infrastructure (example: bollards, mobile concrete curbs), as can be found in the City of Calgary's pilot project.”

City Administration will bring this report to City Council's new Urban Planning Committee on September 28.

For More Information:

Visit: www.edmonton.ca/cycling
    Email: [email protected]
    Call: 780-944-5600
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

It appears that the south sidewalk is getting closer and closer to completion. I wonder if they will wait for both sides to be complete before opening the sidewalks or would they open as each is ready?

^It seems pretty much done. It may have to be opened to make space for the north lanes to be closed so that side gets some love.

Meanwhile... the underside of the bridge and Groat Road have been getting some attention overnights and this weekend.
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

Yeah they closed groat which caused a bit of a cluster F, but it's getting close to finish. Traffic in my neck of the woods of the 124th area is substantially better at all hours of the day with the opening of the bridge.

Recently completed 102 Ave. bridge
    Edmonton June 25, 2017 by Thomas Huizinga, on Flickr

I thought this was a nice touch, this was the surface cars drove over on the old bridge.
    Edmonton June 25, 2017 by Thomas Huizinga, on Flickr
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

^There's also supposed to be a website to accompany the piece.

No website, just photos that I took.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

The closest website I could find was this
    https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...placement.aspx

I remember reading about the artwork as the bridge was being built but I can't find anything with those words. I think it was from the earlier CoE website. Anyway, in http://bridge102.com/expo/proposal/:

The artwork is presented on two levels of reference -*‐
    a) four (4) steel rounds recycled from the original bridge decking integrated into the design and construction of the new bridge, and
    b) a cyber-*‐chronicle consisting of audio and visual documentation of the past and present.

ARTIST STATEMENT
    The project has two components: a sculptural and site-*‐specific element which is integrated into the design and construction of the new bridge and a webpage chronicling audio and video documentation. Thusly, the bridge itself becomes a reference to its history and presence.
    So, the original idea was there was to be some sort of cyber component to the physical piece.

The artist, Faye HeavyShield: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faye_HeavyShield

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678