Thread: High Stick Vodka

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default High Stick Vodka

YEG Food Guide ‏@YEGFoodGuide 10 mins
    For those asking, @HighStickVodka is a brand new local business that's trying to get start. Give them a follow!

http://highstickvodka.com/

Anyone heard of them?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'd rather C2E than work!

Not till now.

The one review could, uh, be taken many ways!
    ... gobsmacked

Sobey's liquor store carries it. Seems like a bit of a novelty, but I like the bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by rockyv View Post
    Sobey's liquor store carries it. Seems like a bit of a novelty, but I like the bottle.
    How much?
    Maybe I'll just pick one up for the bottle, if not too much
    Edmonton ~ It may not be perfect, but it's home~

The worlds finest items don't come in a gimmick package....
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

It has been around for a couple of years, seems to be seasonal-ish. I was told at one point it is simply Highwood Vodka, from Highwood Distillers in Calgary, (producer of all your favorite cat **** well stock standards, usually on sale for 17-20$ and overpriced at that.) I have since been unable to confirm that but notice their website does offer Contract Packaging.

If I remember correctly it was in the 75$-100$ range, and only about 700ml.
    It sold about as well as any of the novelty bottles, and paired nicely with the canadian whiskey in a hockey skate.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiran View Post
    It has been around for a couple of years, seems to be seasonal-ish. I was told at one point it is simply Highwood Vodka, from Highwood Distillers in Calgary, (producer of all your favorite cat **** well stock standards, usually on sale for 17-20$ and overpriced at that.) I have since been unable to confirm that but notice their website does offer Contract Packaging.

If I remember correctly it was in the 75$-100$ range, and only about 700ml.
    It sold about as well as any of the novelty bottles, and paired nicely with the canadian whiskey in a hockey skate.
    So I guess would be like the Skull vodka......just over priced because of the packaging?

Saw it last year, contemplated sending it overseas as a Canadiana schtick. Figured it would break in shipping, so declined.

Highwood distillers though? Glad I didn't.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    How much? Maybe I'll just pick one up for the bottle, if not too much
    It's 72 bucks at Sobey's.

I'd rather C2E than work!

$72 versus approx $40 at Stupidstore for Grey Goose, or around $30 for Russian Standard?

Never.Gonna,Happen.
    ... gobsmacked

I don't need to pay 70 bucks for a penis joke...
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    So I guess would be like the Skull vodka......just over priced because of the packaging?
    Most vodka is that way. Even Grey Goose justifies their expensive price because they package it in a fancy "perfume-looking" bottle and make expensive ads to trick people into thinking their vodka is something special. Meanwhile, the stuff isn't even Smirnoff (which is actually quite good) quality.

Very true about it's sometimes just bottling.

I watched a news special about tricks of some bars.
    Where they stock the premium bottles on the shelf but the stuff inside is cheaper booze.
    They gave a taste test to 10 people and every time only 1 or 2 could tell the difference.
    Myself, I'm not a hard liquor drinker much so I really don't care if it's bigger name brand. I'm talking more about vodka, rum, and rye....my buddy is a big scotch drinker so he has the taste buds for the more premium type of scotch.

Haha I'm low maintenance, as long as taste good I don't care if it's $20 or $50 bottle...though free always taste better haha

Another question is, are they really local? Someone pointed out that their brewery is in the Okanagan.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Another question is, are they really local? Someone pointed out that their brewery is in the Okanagan.
    Wouldn't the proper term be "distillery"? Because hard liquor, including vodka, is distilled, not brewed like beer, ale or sake.
    Is there hope for Edmonton? Yes!!! The Oilers? Wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Wouldn't the proper term be "distillery"? Because hard liquor, including vodka, is distilled, not brewed like beer, ale or sake.

C2E Continued Contributor

^ Yeah, yeah.
    Is there hope for Edmonton? Yes!!! The Oilers? Wait and see.

Default Owner here

Hey guys,

I'm the owner of High Stick Vodka and wanted to address some of the issues brought up here and answer any questions you may have. (here's proof I hope http://highstickvodka.com/idproof/)

1) Is High Stick Vodka really local?
    That's a good question. I'm an Edmontonian and base my operations here. In that respect the company is local. However, you are right. The vodka is made and bottled in Kelowna. I would have loved to afford to build my own distillery but I would rather leverage the expertise and not pay the extreme startup costs of building a distillery (time as well). So I guess the answer is not so clear.

2) All hat, no cattle
    I first want to say, if all you're looking for is a good vodka, we're going to loose you on price. There are some fantastic vodkas on the market today that we would compete fairly well against simply vodka on vodka. They are going to be much cheaper. There is no one in the industry that has a more expensive bottle than us. Its new, hard to make and difficult to bottle. All this makes costs extraodinarily high. That being said, I didn't want to be like other gimmicky products and have crap in my bottle. It just didn't make much sense, after paying so much for the bottle, to save a few pennies on the vodka.
    The second reason I didn't want cheap crappy vodka is that we are planning to come out with a traditional bottle with the exact same vodka. Price should be between $25-$35. A little higher than you "cheap vodka" but not as expensive as the over-priced (in my opinion) Grey Goose.

3) Expensive
    Ya, it is. Its not for everyone. Not everyone can afford floor seats to watch the oilers at almost $300/seat either. (some would say are overpriced as well) We are trying to get the costs down, as naturally the less expensive we are the more people can enjoy the product. That's what its all about, for us. So I apologize for the high price and we are doing everything we can to lower it.

If you guys have any other questions, shoot them here and will do my best to answer them.