Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Red Bull Crash Ice coming

I'd rather C2E than work!

They said on the news today that in areas with direct sunlight there were a some issues with the track but if they kept those covered when the track wasn't used it was fine. Colder temperatures (-30 or so) is actually more of a problem because when the skaters would land it would chip the ice a lot more and cause holes.
    http://www.630ched.com/2015/03/12/av...t-crashed-ice/

I'd bet it'll be covered virtually all day Saturday until practice runs start. Tonight will be rough since races start pretty early.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Ok

My patience at some of the silly trolling is gone. If you don't have something to contribute to the topic, then don't bother.

Also, we all can simply ignore the trolls and not respond.

I unapproved 3 posts.
    Ow

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

I'm in my office looking over the track. It is so cool to see this come to life. Good on everyone for bringing this to our city!!
    Ow

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    I'll be giving viewpoint 2 a try. Hope they let us on the Shaw terraces. The first row of people at the Hall D terrace should have a pretty good view. Second row, not so much.
    All terraces are for private/sponsor events.

GOALIE race!
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

This should be fun!

Is it on live TV?

Just wondering - how do they "zamboni" the ice after a lot of people have gone down the soft ice course? I would think some of the ruts could get a little dangerous at speed.

If I'd had my thinking cap on (it's around here somewhere) I'd have brought a box of cowbells down and sold them at the course
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    I'll be giving viewpoint 2 a try. Hope they let us on the Shaw terraces. The first row of people at the Hall D terrace should have a pretty good view. Second row, not so much.
    All terraces are for private/sponsor events.

GOALIE race!
    I was wondering what the hells with all the goalies?

Idea for a new sport. Crash test rollerderby. Deke past by all the goalies in XXXXXL equipment to score points. Get by all goalies and cross line to score maximum pts. Look out for Ron Hextall's two hand overhead lumber or getting tossed off the track...although its only landing that hurts..

somebody make it happen.

Believe it or not I'm sober posting this
    Last edited by Replacement; 13-03-2015 at 01:19 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E SME

I guess I'm going to have to look for a spot to set up for Saturday.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Times changed for today's races. Everything pushed slightly later (wraps up at 11 now, instead of 10)

I assume they scheduled things for 10 purposely so they'd have contingency time before the usual 11pm noise curfew in Edmonton. Fully expect the finals to also be bumped simply for ice quality reasons

If there's a single DT patio not open this weekend, shame on them. It's a rare opportunity to rake in mid-March patio cash, and I hope they all do.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Nine of Edmonton’s biggest and best-known companies have banded together to polish the city’s image.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...906/story.html
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I took this to show an overall view of how great our city looks with the Crashed Ice course lit up.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Anyone else went yesterday? I heard Jasper Ave was buzzing last night! Will try to wander down there this PM.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I stopped by for about 30 minutes near the Louise Mckinney Park Parking lot...had enough of it by that point to satisfy a lifetime. It's a cool event to promote/celebrate Edmonton... I get that but not much of a spectator event

It was pretty sweet to watch from right along the boards. Stayed til the end. Only complaints were about the absence of food trucks and that the beer garden was closed. I assume that will all be different today though. Oh, and all of the escalators were off at the end of the event, so everybody had to take the stairs or wait for the funicular.

We managed to find a spot where we could see a pretty good chunk of the middle if the track (big jump, hairpin, step downs with a view of a big screen for the rest.

Very cool looking event all around. Bike racks near the bottom of the hill, plenty of portapotties, and pretty easily navigable site.

Jasper and downtown was PACKED, great to see.

Checked it all out, crazy course.

Was disappointed that the beer garden was not open and limited food options, today will be different though.

Heading down later today after some patio action.
    www.decl.org

I was there for hours. Snagged a premium spot on lower east Terrace of SCC as we were told we could stand there and that the terrace was open to public. We were there from around 5:20 just to ensure the good viewing space. We had that good viewing space until 7:15 at which time the security (a shift had taken place with new security) started yelling at people to vacate the area and that we were not allowed to stand there or be in the area. There were around 300 people in that area that had all been told they were allowed in that area. The security was suddenly verbally aggressive in removing people from that area and without even an explanation or reason given. They spent the rest of the evening until we left at 8pm keeping people out of the area.

I should mention that we spoke to 5 different security officers that said that this would be a first come general area. That we were allowed there. 1 had stated that they were considering a $5 charge for being in the area but then decided they wouldn't and it was free until it filled up at which they would keep people moving. The area never did fill. But for some reason they moved people out of there.

Went and tried some different areas none of which had anything close to the same view. Being that there were long lagtime in events we, and several people ended up leaving before the 6man.

It was fun, entertaining, but tbh after watching a couple hours we were sated with it. With the really long breaks it was really boring at times. Entertainment isn't really what one would think of such an event. One would expect more of a party atmosphere which it really wasn't. The sum extent of the corollary entertainment on site was music . Kind of expected more of a light show theme to it and more presentation. Really other than the track a very low budget kind of event. Could have done a lot better job as well in keeping people informed of the event through the public address system.
    Also no programs, very little available (actually nothing) in the way of providing people with information on event and competitors. They could have filled break times by doing bios of the upcoming performers, significance of the events etc. Other than the spectacle of watching you really had no idea at anytime of what you really seeing, who would qualify, or anything like that. Its like watching a sport and not knowing the rules and you don't know because its not being communicated.

Next, the degree to which this event became segregated for VIP, and for VIP guests. (all other concourses of SCC and also Jasper Ave portion immediately west concourse of SCC were all gated off exclusive areas. Of a public build facility we all paid for...
    Stuff like that bothers me frankly. Sweep up all the prime viewing areas and let the peons congregate on the muddy mound and slop below.

The grounds, as I've stated were quickly turning to mud and will be quagmire by the end of this event. The grass right now is in that very vulnerable stage where its extremely wet and shouldn't be walked on. You wouldn't do this to your own lawn as you'd rip it up. But its those areas people are being told to congregate in, that will all be mud after this and that will have to be all re sod and closed off for much of the summer.

enjoyable but gongshow organization of the whole event. I should also mention at one point security were considering closing off the main entrances of SCC at Jasper Ave if too many people showed up and they felt like numbers were exceeded. This in direct contrast to all the info people had previously been told on where to access the site. Also 1000 people showed up around 3pm (we passed by at that time) and they were expecting the event was at 3pm as previously indicated on the website. They were not aware of the changes in schedule and nobody at the site were telling people. I started telling people myself that the event had been postponed at 6pm at which point some security who had been watching all along came along and confirmed to people that said they had been waiting for an hour along track that the event would not be for 3more hours.

So flame away but this event couldn't be more disorganized if it tried.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    It was pretty sweet to watch from right along the boards. Stayed til the end. Only complaints were about the absence of food trucks and that the beer garden was closed. I assume that will all be different today though. Oh, and all of the escalators were off at the end of the event, so everybody had to take the stairs or wait for the funicular.

We managed to find a spot where we could see a pretty good chunk of the middle if the track (big jump, hairpin, step downs with a view of a big screen for the rest.

Very cool looking event all around. Bike racks near the bottom of the hill, plenty of portapotties, and pretty easily navigable site.
    Escalators were all off all day. Either up or down. Many of the outdoor stairways were closed off. As mentioned no food trucks, no alcohol sales. No beer garden, the one merchandise trailer had one staff servicing the lineup. Went over to Churchill just pre event around 5pm and virtually nothing going on there. Just the usual. No tailgate event, no getting people into the party spirit. It felt exciting at the start thinking this was going to be one big party until one realized that nothing was really going on other than the races. It was event where the public address system had to do things like "we can't hear ya" to try to get any reaction from the crowd. The crowd which really wasn't all that big. I doubt there was 5K at the event but knowing boosterism that typically goes on with such things they'll probably report it as several times that. Judging from the general disorganization on site I'd worry a bit if they actually did have huge numbers that they had to do deal with.

Overall one got the impression that police and security hoped people wouldn't show up and spent the night aggravated and nervous at their presence. Strange vibe. As my previous post indicated surveillance had this very nervous tone to it. One police officer aggressively bumped right into me (almost like a body check in hockey) from behind while passing and gave me a glare for apparently being in his way even though I was walking in same direction and had not altered course. Noticed as he passed me that contact had been made on his revolver side as well and I wondered how close I came to this guy becoming aggressive for me doing nothing other than apparently being in his way as he aggressively approached from behind me (I don't have eyes in the back of my head) have to say if I was a small person I would have been knocked off balance with the force he used to get by me.

All this security vibe happening while the whole crowd was extremely well behaved and with no problem detected anywhere that I noted. One got the impression it was police and security doing red bull...

Just strange heightened state of alarm that was felt. Not the least of which is because people were herded off the lower terrace like they were criminals 2hours into the show. Wish I had my camera for that one as it was ridiculous. Security just freaking out at nothing in particular had occurred and not one person given one reason why the change in policy and that the area had to be cleared.

Apparently the condoned rules at this event are we make up the rules as the event goes on and will change them at any and all times.

Given what I've mentioned I'd be a bit nervous about going to the bigger event tonight.

I very seldom would state something like this but any tension that was present at the event was incited by police and security apparently expecting the worst people to show up. The crowd again was extremely friendly and an all age ranges event. Saw several seniors in the crowd. Several families in the crowd. The only aggression was taking place was as cited.
    Last edited by Replacement; 14-03-2015 at 01:11 PM.

Tyler Roth, a Crashed Ice veteran who participated in the elimination round, said he has never seen such a crowd at the warm-up events.

“This is awesome,” he said, shortly after qualifying for Saturday’s final. “This is the most people I’ve seen come to watch an elimination round. The people here love it, it’s really great.”

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...516/story.html
    www.decl.org

Tyler Roth, a Crashed Ice veteran who participated in the elimination round, said he has never seen such a crowd at the warm-up events.

“This is awesome,” he said, shortly after qualifying for Saturday’s final. “This is the most people I’ve seen come to watch an elimination round. The people here love it, it’s really great.”

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...516/story.html
    huh, The article sites around 1K which is in line with what I stated earlier. The basic attendance of a highschool football game. Anybody that wanted to get up to the track could and the gathering was actually very sparse.

Conversely I would say that people showed up because a lot of people don't understand the event and thought it was a two day event (it was actually 3 but virtually nobody showed up yesterday because hardly anybody knew there were trials Thursday) People just showed up expecting both days to be event days. Nobody I talked to in the crowd or the security knew anything particular about what was going on and whether they were time trials, races, how many qualified, that it was only qualifying, etc. Also, as per information the group event I thought was the finals for the group event. This being what people were led to believe and they way it was hyped the group event with 6 people on the track at the same time was touted as the most thrilling part to see. So of course people showed up.

I would be surprised if theres twice as many people tomorrow unless people have a lot better information than what anybody yesterday had on what part of the event we are supposed to show up for.

Event staff were also comical in their "they don't tell us anything about whats going on" response to any question asked by the *crowd*.

Personally I feel that in person seeing elimination runs of 4 coming down the track and competing was really what this is about and we got a 2hr taste of that after which we left actually having enough of it. Its entertaining, funny at times as it was like bowling pins out there. That said it wasn't a transfixing mesmerizing event as people came and left. Hundreds of people leaving before the 6person group events even came on (long delay) I think overall because people had been told to come out at 3pm people were kind of bored and wanting to leave by around 8pm which is a long time to be standing around with literally nothing going on.
    Last edited by Replacement; 14-03-2015 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Escalators were all off all day. Either up or down. Many of the outdoor stairways were closed off. As mentioned no food trucks, no alcohol sales. No beer garden, the one merchandise trailer had one staff servicing the lineup. Went over to Churchill just pre event around 5pm and virtually nothing going on there. Just the usual. No tailgate event, no getting people into the party spirit. It felt exciting at the start thinking this was going to be one big party until one realized that nothing was really going on other than the races. It was event where the public address system had to do things like "we can't hear ya" to try to get any reaction from the crowd. The crowd which really wasn't all that big. I doubt there was 5K at the event but knowing boosterism that typically goes on with such things they'll probably report it as several times that. Judging from the general disorganization on site I'd worry a bit if they actually did have huge numbers that they had to do deal with.

Overall one got the impression that police and security hoped people wouldn't show up and spent the night aggravated and nervous at their presence. Strange vibe. As my previous post indicated surveillance had this very nervous tone to it. One police officer aggressively bumped right into me (almost like a body check in hockey) from behind while passing and gave me a glare for apparently being in his way even though I was walking in same direction and had not altered course. Noticed as he passed me that contact had been made on his revolver side as well and I wondered how close I came to this guy becoming aggressive for me doing nothing other than apparently being in his way as he aggressively approached from behind me (I don't have eyes in the back of my head) have to say if I was a small person I would have been knocked off balance with the force he used to get by me.

All this security vibe happening while the whole crowd was extremely well behaved and with no problem detected anywhere that I noted. One got the impression it was police and security doing red bull...

Just strange heightened state of alarm that was felt. Not the least of which is because people were herded off the lower terrace like they were criminals 2hours into the show. Wish I had my camera for that one as it was ridiculous. Security just freaking out at nothing in particular had occurred and not one person given one reason why the change in policy and that the area had to be cleared.

Apparently the condoned rules at this event are we make up the rules as the event goes on and will change them at any and all times.

Given what I've mentioned I'd be a bit nervous about going to the bigger event tonight.

I very seldom would state something like this but any tension that was present at the event was incited by police and security apparently expecting the worst people to show up. The crowd again was extremely friendly and an all age ranges event. Saw several seniors in the crowd. Several families in the crowd. The only aggression was taking place was as cited.
    Escalators were definitely on at 7:30, because I used them going up. There are also signs inside near the food vendor that said "All outdoor areas of Shaw a Conference Centre are non-spectator zones" or something to that effect. I was surprised when I saw people congregated out there when I arrived. So it sounds like the early security squad was the one that dropped the ball by letting people watch from there and setting the expectation that if was allowed.

Friends of mine saw a guy climb a tree that overhangs the track, and easily could have fallen on the track. Security made short work of that. As with any event, I find that if they staff security for 40,000 and only get 10k, they get bored and power-trip. I'd bet that tonight is a bit more normal-feeling.

I, too, wish there was something to fill the gaps between runs. It takes time to shuttle the competitors up the hill. They could easily have a house band on site and on screen or more crowdwork by the host.

Pretty surprised that there is not an event on the riverboat(would look awesome on tv) or any tied-in concerts on site.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Lack of food was disappointing, lack of entertainment was also disappointing, as was the lack of beer gardens, etc. Hopefully today is better, cause yesterday missed the mark completely according to our group who went out. It felt like the entire budget was spent on the track for TV leaving nothing else going on for locals.

Thanks for the reasonable response Alex. The amount of confusion was interesting but its what we expected. The funny part of it and we joked around about this, is we'll ask again 15minutes later as info was changing several times an hour.
    To clarify a few hundred of us had selected viewing areas on the lowest concourse which was just east of the designate area for wheelchairs. Being told by several security staff that we were allowed to be there people were standing there from 5pm on selecting their site. To be told at 7:30 that people were never allowed to be in the area was kind of funny. Its that kind of thing that causes people to leave. I didn't I stuck around for awhile, but once the trials ended the break was too long to sustain my interest.

Site did look beautiful from a distance. I lke how the lit up track looks from Louise McKinney bridge.

Oh, one last complaint Public parking for the park on the southside of the bridge all roped off all day and was not used at all. It was empty, but roped off. Which meant that all the people (like me) that often park there to take a walk in the river valley ended up parking in the residential areas nearby meaning other people and visitors had nowhere to park..While a whole lot for 40 vehicles was empty and prohibited for no reason. I expect this for Folk Festival which is just blocks away. I don't expect this prohibition to occur for an event a mile away. I'd love to get the info on why this parking needed to be blocked off. Like anything connected with this event the security prohibitions and gated off areas seem like overkill. Lol as well that security and police probably made up 25% of the attendance. All seemingly looking for something to bet "busy with" as you mentioned Alex. Like a make work project barking orders at people.

As for the river queen a lot of naval regulations apply and afaik the proprietors are not allowed to have anybody on board when its docked for the winter and surrounded by ice. To my knowledge no winter events ever take place on the River Queen. Would've been nice to see some fireworks, some pyrotechnics or light show. One generally expected a much more amped show from red bull. Didn't get that at all.
    Last edited by Replacement; 14-03-2015 at 01:51 PM.

Quick question: will I be able to find parking tonight, or should I book a cab? I'm asking purely from a convenience angle. I'd rather pay $5 for the library parkade than $60 for cabs both ways.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

There is always parking available if you have the patience to find it and no qualms about walking a few extra blocks.

Parking can be found, park west in McKay or the like... But traffic will be busy.
    www.decl.org

I'm thinking of driving to a parking lot outside the core and catching a bus from there. Saves me like 1hr on the bus and will definitely not be as busy as the LRT afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Quick question: will I be able to find parking tonight, or should I book a cab? I'm asking purely from a convenience angle. I'd rather pay $5 for the library parkade than $60 for cabs both ways.
    parking easy enough. Get there before the Citadel and Winspear crowds and park in Library parkade for 5 bucks.

Keep in mind though that Grierson road and Jasper avenue near SCC are closed off.

Traffic definitely lined up everywhere yesterday but mostly with the drive home traffic.

You can try the parking lot beside the Chinatown Gate on 102 ave.

parking easy enough. Get there before the Citadel and Winspear crowds and park in Library parkade for 5 bucks.

Keep in mind though that Grierson road and Jasper avenue near SCC are closed off.

Traffic definitely lined up everywhere yesterday but mostly with the drive home traffic.
    Think I'll be OK around 6pm at Library?

Personally I feel that in person seeing elimination runs of 4 coming down the track and competing was really what this is about and we got a 2hr taste of that after which we left actually having enough of it. Its entertaining, funny at times as it was like bowling pins out there. That said it wasn't a transfixing mesmerizing event as people came and left. Hundreds of people leaving before the 6person group events even came on (long delay) I think overall because people had been told to come out at 3pm people were kind of bored and wanting to leave by around 8pm which is a long time to be standing around with literally nothing going on.
    Interesting that you say that because I was there the entire night - it was way more packed for the 6 person group event than the earlier time trials. The team racing was amazing in my opinion.

Think I'll be OK around 6pm at Library?
    I would try a bit before 6pm. Lineups start to form and its just harder to get a spot. One thing though is if parking in that parkade be forewarned that you don't want to be leaving when everybody else is as theres often lineups to get out. I would try around 5:30 to avoid the crowds getting in.

Quote Originally Posted by christopherj View Post

Interesting that you say that because I was there the entire night - it was way more packed for the 6 person group event than the earlier time trials. The team racing was amazing in my opinion.
    AS mentioned we got bored (had been downtown since 3pm) and left around 8pm due to the very long break in action. So I didn't see the groups event which is what we wanted to see and was originally slated to start at 7pm and didn't start till hours later. Whenever it did start..
    There were huge time delays in events and with the action just plodding on. Really doesn't entice when you see 6 secs of action and then wait minutes or half an hour for a next run. Maybe they should have clowns going down the track during the long time segments when nothing is going on.
    Last edited by Replacement; 14-03-2015 at 03:40 PM.

^ oh agree the time delays would have been hard on those since 3pm. And were poorly communicated - and little to do around the actual site would have made it even harder. I lucked out getting there at 6:30 just in time for the time trials to start again.

Quote Originally Posted by christopherj View Post
    ^ oh agree the time delays would have been hard on those since 3pm. And were poorly communicated - and little to do around the actual site would have made it even harder. I lucked out getting there at 6:30 just in time for the time trials to start again.
    Actually 6:30 was pretty much the first action of the day. Other than some of the skaters going down the track individually for a trial run.

Reports I've had is it was taking a long time to shuttle the skaters back up the track to starting line. Really with the Grierson and Jasper ave closures theres no best way to do that. They needed to figure out a better option or route to transport the skaters.

Too bad that all this track and setup occurs largely for not as a one off event. Sort of odd to spend several weeks setting something up for one weekend.

how awesome would it be if kids/youth had something like this to play with in say Louise McKinney park year round. Like an uber skate park.

Calgary got the legacy of a permanent build with the Olympic run. nice to have that as a facility legacy to the city that anybody can use.

^You mean how dangerous would that be if kids/youth had something like this to play with. I should imagine it takes a lot of skill and training for those Red Bull guys to go down that course. I for one would not be encouraging untrained kids/youth to go hurling down a course like that just for the heck of it. I'm sure the C of E would not want to be insuring it or keeping the ice as ice when it's 30 above.
    As for Calgary and their Olympic run. I bet on any given day in winter it's not used or barely used.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    ^You mean how dangerous would that be if kids/youth had something like this to play with. I should imagine it takes a lot of skill and training for those Red Bull guys to go down that course. I for one would not be encouraging untrained kids/youth to go hurling down a course like that just for the heck of it. I'm sure the C of E would not want to be insuring it or keeping the ice as ice when it's 30 above.
    As for Calgary and their Olympic run. I bet on any given day in winter it's not used or barely used.
    Yeah. Typically I'm accused of wrapping kids in bubblewrap and so my position on this is strange and unfamiliar. I've even voiced similar concern re injuries at skateboard parks but I've become resigned that a segment of todays youth are really into extreme sports and will try anything if reasonable opportunity and challenging facility does not exist. Kids often try much more dangerous stunts on public edifice because actual facilities that are challenging enough don't exist.

next, go to any skateboard park and you will be astounded instantly with the skillsets of any of these kids and how quickly they master the layout.

Sure there would be injuries as there always are but waivers, paid runs, supervision would make this a possibly tenable thing.

I dunno, like I say its odd I'm arguing on behalf of it. Just thought it would be something neat to retain for kids/youth that would really be into it.

in Sherbrooke (I think it was) hundreds of people freely tried out the track (less challenging but still quite potentially injurious)

^Well, O.K. I'll agree. A lot of kids are into trying ex-treme sports but only an elite few go on to make a living out of it. I don't want to wrap kids in bubble wrap any more than you do. Maybe a track not as challenging would work. As for the use. I think it would be to much to operate all year round. To much to maintain and also the insurance costs. You know how we are now hearing squeaks of snow hills being closed in case people hurt themselves sledding. I think more cities are trying to get away from these types of things just for the fact they do not want to be sued. Maybe a private operator could build a smaller version of the Crash Bull course but it will not be cheap to build or operate.

Did anyone check out the crowds in Winston Churchill Square. I heard there was a big screen TV there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Did anyone check out the crowds in Winston Churchill Square. I heard there was a big screen TV there.
    Went for a long walk today down Millcreek ravine to downtown. not many people at Churchill around 6:00 but lots more people today at SCC and area attending the event. Area looked to have thousands of people by 6:40. I had to hoof it back to Millcreek pool area so figured I didn't want to traipse through there in the dark. (been there done that, walking into trees is fun) Lots more buzz today and decent attendance but with many areas muddy and pretty much impassable it limited where people could reasonably stand. Tons of people standing on whatever pavement they can find but which makes others trying to pass by difficult.

Beer gardens were open, food trucks open. (ridiculous lineups I mean 100 deep for each). Better commentating today as well and trying to rev up the crowd. Much more energy to the place today.

lineups for merchandise ridiculous. 2 staff on hand today.

Downtown looked pretty energized today, more tourists definitely noted today.

Should be fun for all. Try not to have a mudbath though unless you want to.

Also mudslides are free of charge, not the liquid refreshment kind..
    Last edited by Replacement; 14-03-2015 at 08:41 PM.

Watching it here: http://www.redbullcrashedice.com/m/en_CA

huge crowds, it looks like!

C2E Posting Power

Such an amazing event, things to improve? Sure, but wow are we lucky to have this event!

I was there to check things out between noon and 4, already 1-2 thousand just walking and strolling around. Churchill share and market at city hall were busy too.

Things to improve - general way finding (all of downtown) and improved cleanliness of streets and sidewalks around major event areas. (LMP trails weren't touched, covered in gravel)
    i love lamp

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by lat View Post
    Watching it here: http://www.redbullcrashedice.com/m/en_CA

huge crowds, it looks like!
    Yup! Amazing!
    i love lamp

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Red bull just tweeted out 70,000 in attendance. Andrew Ference said around 100,000

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    Did some intel - sorry took photos but can't upload.

Upshot? This is a TV "things" event. we're just command-event eye candy.

Shaw Conference Centre?

Well, unless you're a VIP or in a wheelchair and are the attendant - F.U. - check out a big screen somewhere - they're far more interested in showing Edmonton things from helicopter shots than actually having Edmontonians be part of anything.

Well, you can go to Halls A.B and C and see not a bloody thing live.

Minneapolis = 140,000. Edmonton = be surprised if there's 5K. Suspect more like 1-2k max

Sorry - removing all references to this insult from any social media I have.

Unless, of course, you like to be used for someone else's agenda - hidden candidacy.
    ... great job Edmonton
    i love lamp

McBoo = sonned

They said 70,000K but it's impossible to tell.
    it was incredibly busy and a great turn out.
    Biggest thing to do is build more event related parties and hype on the lead up.

Too many people for the facilities involved, everything was over runow, I don't see that as a bad thing at all.
    Great event.

I took my son down there tonight, expecting to meet a few friends. They texted me to say the crowds were too thick and that they were headed to the bar instead.

When we walked back to Churchill station, I took the long way and saw that every restaurant around there was packed. I'm guessing that in addition to whatever the announced attendance was, there were thousands more who came downtown just to be a part of the experience.

As has been mentioned, there are things that can be improved (more food trucks is a must), but I do hope we get this event again so we can put those lessons learned to use. It was a lot of fun, and is an excellent showcase for Edmonton.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Took the kids DT tonight to check it out. We went to JV on 104st for dinner and then walked to the Shaw. With all the construction and so many people around my 9 year old said DT Edmonton reminded him of Las Vegas.

I think what happened tonight is a preview of what we will experience on a regular basis once the EAD is fully built out in a few years.

It was amazing seeing all these people downtown for a change. I have been checking things out the last two evenings. Awesome

Overall obviously a success. Could we do better?

In the order I experienced them:

The Weather: A-

Would be nice if she'd put 50 cm fresh clean snow down around Wednesday. Even the Ski Club was getting patchy. That said, no doubt the temperatures certainly aided and abetted the overall attendance.

LRT service: C

The good: during the event was excellent.

The bad: non-existant for the rest of the weekend when surely thousands of out-of-town guests are still in the city. Yeah, a tough compromise either way, but one of those ways was for people visiting for the weekend. Trying to build our reputation is part of the whole idea, right?

Oh, and our ticket vending machines are horrifyingly inadequate for the huge numbers of people using for the first time. Lineups at every Station, with numerous people missing their trains while these slugs seem to need over a minute just to count change nickle by nickle and try to figure out what time it is.

City Hall: F

I know I'm spoiled by how it was used during the Olympic Torch Relay, but completely closed???? As in locked????

Churchill Square: B+

Amazing how well our Square now works that just a video screen and a very decent sound system can pull off a B+. Imagine if they'd put up spotlights, projected images and LED like on the Conference Centre.

Traffic management (from a pedestrian POV): A+

Very impressed how access to parkades didn't seem to be a major burden on the crowds and crowds upon crowds.

Signage: C-

I knew where I was (trying to be) going, but I must have helped 7 or 8 people and it was very clear why. Especially acute was the issue in the Conference Centre.

Citadel Theatre: A+

Doors open, washrooms open, waterfall on, volunteers directing traffic. How a partner should be. Of course it was showtime, lol, but I can't really think they could have done much more.

Canada Place: B+

Not quite the same helpful spirit from the security guards, but the doors were open, the washrooms were open, and the Soup place was even open. Unfortunate timing for whatever they're doing with the fountains though.

Shaw Conference Centre: B-

They did everything they could, except signage perhaps, but they're just not big enough to be the sole conduit to a 70,000 person event. Even the beer garden in Halls ABC looked overwhelmed when I went past. Lucky it wasn't -20 and people were okay being outside.

Also, why on Earth did they not put the Event on their little "Shaw" screens??

Event management: A+

Well done. Professional from top to bottom.

Choice of Venue: B-

Not a natural bowl meaning bad sightlines for the vast majority during the big event, directly South facing perfect for melting, (compare: Legislature, Ski Club,.) on the plus side it has Hall ABC for ancillary events, and the numerous big screens with big sound did mitigate the sightlines somewhat.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

It is just year #1, hopefully the kinks will be ironed out for the next go-around.
    Assuming there is a next time, of course. Anyone know?

I wanted to take an overall photo of the city while the event was happening and I planned to park across the river. When I arrived at the Edmonton Queen parking lot, it was full, so I drove past it to my second choice, the parking lot at the end of the pedestrian bridge. It was barricaded, with notices that the lot was closed during the event. By whose authority, and for what reason?
    So I drove towards Connors Road. Cars were parked all the way up the hill to the top of Connors Road where I was finally able to park, so that's where I took this photo. Edmonton looked beautiful, and it made me very proud to live here.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Great shot

Got down around 5:30, easily found parking at Library, and then wandered around. It was pretty quiet. Before I knew it, downtown was a packed! I'm super impressed with how well it played out. Sounds like Friday was just a boring trial run compared to what transpired Saturday.

I agree with JayBee's assessment. Everything was ran incredibly well on Saturday. I sure hope we get this again.

Question: Has there ever been 70k+ people downtown at any given time previously in Edmonton's history?

Got down around 5:30, easily found parking at Library, and then wandered around. It was pretty quiet. Before I knew it, downtown was a packed! I'm super impressed with how well it played out. Sounds like Friday was just a boring trial run compared to what transpired Saturday.

I agree with JayBee's assessment. Everything was ran incredibly well on Saturday. I sure hope we get this again.

Question: Has there ever been 70k+ people downtown at any given time previously in Edmonton's history?
    Attendance numbers were routinely over 100K for the K Days Sunday Promenade downtown back in the 60's 70's. Grey Cups have had similar numbers.

The 70K is quite frankly a made up figure by Redbull. I swear some of the photos by Redbull are photoshopped or are graphic depictions. I was at Churchill. Hardly anybody was there.

Redbull elevates the numbers drastically so that cities will continue to sponsor this event. They can't even get decent TV contracts and zero network coverage. My sense is this event at least globally is losing its novelty following.

As always, a positive post by Replacement. God the negative crap gets tiring…..

I ended up down there with the entire family, nieces and nephews and had a great time. It was crazy hectic getting around especially with younger kids. No one knew where they were going but most didn't really care. The hills along the shaw were great to hang around as you could watch everyone trip and fall all over the place.

Overall a great success but i have a few issues i think they failed horribly on. With how bad the views were from 90% of the people attending i am surprised they had so few big screens. They could have had way more of these around.

The hills were extremely dangerous in spots. I didn't see anyone get seriously hurt on them but they were super bad in different areas and we are probably fortunate no one got seriously hurt..

Last issue is related to the lack of food and drink options. Some of us were there as early as 5-530 and stayed well into the night. For 70-100,000 people downtown there were only 4-5 food trucks or stands. Most of which you couldn't get to due to the crowds and if you made it to churchhill it was an hour long line for a hot dog. Pretty crappy way to waste time when your there having fun with your kids/family. I think this was a major %$#%$ up on the events part.

Regardless though all the kids had a blast and the weather was awesome.
    Last edited by gwill211; 15-03-2015 at 02:07 PM.

I was at Churchill. Hardly anybody was there.

Churchill had more people in it then other events like taste of Edmonton or street performers. I was there till quite late and it was packed full of people.... certainly not crammed like the shaw but at least you could walk around or let the kids run around safely.

Replacement: I was there, the 70k figure is accurate. The river valley was full, Jasper Ave was packed, and Churchill easily had more people than what you get at most other festivals. The beer garden was at capacity, so that's another ~5000 inside at the site.

I'm not a professional head counter, but I'm familiar with 40,000+ at commonwealth or 17,000+ at Rexall, and this destroyed those. The pictures were not fake - I saw those crowds with my own eyes.

^ Churchill was both. Quiet around event start (when people were still figuring out where to park, etc. ) and packed by around 9:00 when I went back home.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    As always, a positive post by Replacement. God the negative crap gets tiring…..
    Wheres your posts when I'm positively commenting on any of the several great winter festivals here and telling people how great they are and to get out to them?

btw your response is negative crap so...yeah, random drivebys are tiring.

Nobody here needs to, or should be attacked for having an opinion.
    Last edited by Replacement; 15-03-2015 at 02:57 PM.

Replacement: I was there, the 70k figure is accurate. The river valley was full, Jasper Ave was packed, and Churchill easily had more people than what you get at most other festivals. The beer garden was at capacity, so that's another ~5000 inside at the site.

I'm not a professional head counter, but I'm familiar with 40,000+ at commonwealth or 17,000+ at Rexall, and this destroyed those. The pictures were not fake - I saw those crowds with my own eyes.
    to put it in perspective a full packed bowl at Gallagher park is around 15K. That in itself is a larger area than the attended area for Redbull.

That's also a dense packed crowd at Gallagher. With no trees, drop off pts and where people are able to sit everywhere. The location for this event has a lot of areas where people can't stand. The actual numbers at the site couldn't possibly hold 70K people unless you're talking people backed up for several blocks which wasn't the case at all.

I wouldn't say this was anywhere near a packed Commonwealth crowd. That would be a packed sea of people stretching around 180 X150yds. Contiguous. Not spread out due to track, trees, bushes, mud bogs etc. I've been to concerts with 100K packed in a field and that experience is like seeing a city of people.

This was reasonable attendance but 70K estimate is nonsense put out by Redbull. For obvious reasons. The City, DECL, etc will also back that made up figure for similar reasons. The crowd count is of course pure fiction because nobody is counting, there is no crowd measurement, etc. its somebody from Redbull basically tweeting "wow, look, 70K people and everybody runs with that figure.

Not a big deal except its trumped numbers like that which distort actual economic impact, appeal, etc.

overall though something worth doing and I'd be fine with the City doing it again as the cost to the city was negligible.

glad people had fun.

^ Churchill was both. Quiet around event start (when people were still figuring out where to park, etc. ) and packed by around 9:00 when I went back home.
    Yeah, I went to Churchill just pre event and hardly anybody there. maybe people congregated after the event. Not sure what there was to do there. Screen, couple food trucks, not even any entertainment.

Not one bandstage anywhere is imo disappointing.

TBH I enjoyed a wonderful hike in the river valley and Millcreek Ravine yesterday more than this event. Just not my thing I guess.
    Last edited by Replacement; 15-03-2015 at 03:29 PM.

C2E SME

These are great crowds, considering that standing room is restricted.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

@replacement- maybe hold off on your "facts" related to the event if you left before anything started.

Quote Originally Posted by gwill211 View Post
    @replacement- maybe hold off on your "facts" related to the event if you left before anything started.
    I was there for several hours on Friday and was there till the start on Saturday. I hiked back across the river on my way home and watched a bit from there as well.

As far as the crowd estimates my statement is clear. That hill where the track was couldn't hold 70K people. Period.

70K people would be about the attendance of Commonwealth rolled out if it was a complete bowl. With stands going out to row 88. If you unrolled Commonwealth stadium it would go from close to river to river bank and stretch about 400Yds. Now consider that theres lots of area on that bank where its impossible to stand due to inclines and treed portions.

70K is a whacked estimate for that area that couldn't possibly hold that many people.
    Last edited by Replacement; 15-03-2015 at 03:31 PM.

^ counting all the people who came and went, seeing Jasper and Churchill unwalkably packed, all the streets teeming, the Shaw laughably overwhelmed (Hall ABC is a huge room, stairs were just solid, every VIP brought extra guests. )

And is the count for just Saturday?

I suspect it's realistic.

I would be surprised if theres twice as many people tomorrow unless people have a lot better information than what anybody yesterday had on what part of the event we are supposed to show up for
    Just a few more

Overall a good event, but Friday needs to be ramped up, Churchill events improved, better use of LMP.

Absolutely crazy though.
    www.decl.org

@replacement- So you left on Saturday before the event started, before the majority of people got downtown? Basing your facts off of a photo of a hill that didn't include the shaw beer gardens, churchhill square, jasper ave or the packed streets surrounding shaw that were completely shut down.

Hmm... do you see anything wrong with this?

The estimates i see were not specifying just the hill but those taking in the event in all the areas around the shaw.

There's nothing wacked about it. Those numbers are easily real. I was there, looking at it! I was up the hill, down the hill, all around, and 70k is real. I have no reason to lie about what I saw.

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    Tens of thousands Ian? LOL,
    LOL indeed, but I won't harp on that more.
    www.decl.org

Did this event remind everyone else of that grey cup party downtown 2 years ago? Seemed like a similar atmosphere. That being a pretty awesome atmosphere.

More events like this regularly downtown please

On a side note I am surprised the views were so bad given the natural slope of the valley.
    be offended! figure out why later...

Looking forward to Sunday, when everybody is raving about this event except a handful of people who have already decided that it will be terrible.
    Just figured I'd repost this

Let's not do this everyone versus replacement thing. Not this thread please.
    be offended! figure out why later...

There's nothing wacked about it. Those numbers are easily real. I was there, looking at it! I was up the hill, down the hill, all around, and 70k is real. I have no reason to lie about what I saw.
    Where did I suggest that.

its nothing to do with lying sir. Its about people not being able to estimate crowds which you yourself said earlier.

Again 70K would be people packed in that bank in areas where you can stand lined up all the way from SCC to Louise McKinney bridge. That would be around 70K. The guesstimates are way off. no big deal I just don't like that kind of hyperbole whether its this event or any that is non ticketed and where attendance isn't known.

@Ian, oh yeah Ian. I figure maybe times as many people were on the Hill on Saturday vs Friday. The estimates for Friday ftr being just over 1K. I'm surprised as many people that did came out.

Myself I wouldn't go again but glad people had a lot of fun.
    Last edited by Replacement; 15-03-2015 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gwill211 View Post
    @replacement- So you left on Saturday before the event started, before the majority of people got downtown? Basing your facts off of a photo of a hill that didn't include the shaw beer gardens, churchhill square, jasper ave or the packed streets surrounding shaw that were completely shut down.

Hmm... do you see anything wrong with this?

The estimates i see were not specifying just the hill but those taking in the event in all the areas around the shaw.
    I left at 6:45 but could still see the area when it started. It started at 7. I was just talking about the hill attendance ftr. I figure the hill attendance would be lucky to be 10-15K

Should we include all of downtown in the attendance? lol

Redbull just makes these figures up. Around 25k attended in Belfast. That's total event attendance. Its the only figure that can be substantiated because they sold tickets for that one and with many people wanting their money back on what they figured was a scam with pretty much unviewable track and very similar scaffolding track elevation to this one.. Very few areas in Edmonton where you could get a view of even 20% of the track. Without the screens which were also poorly located you wouldn't know what was going on.

Glad people enjoyed but as a spectator sport I'll take a miss next time.
    Last edited by Replacement; 15-03-2015 at 04:18 PM.

^in all the news articles i do not see them specify just the hill had 70,000 people on it... that's where you made things up in your head.

Keep ranting away though.. its quite funny

to put it in perspective a full packed bowl at Gallagher park is around 15K. That in itself is a larger area than the attended area for Redbull.

That's also a dense packed crowd at Gallagher. With no trees, drop off pts and where people are able to sit everywhere. The location for this event has a lot of areas where people can't stand. The actual numbers at the site couldn't possibly hold 70K people unless you're talking people backed up for several blocks which wasn't the case at all.

I wouldn't say this was anywhere near a packed Commonwealth crowd. That would be a packed sea of people stretching around 180 X150yds. Contiguous. Not spread out due to track, trees, bushes, mud bogs etc. I've been to concerts with 100K packed in a field and that experience is like seeing a city of people.

This was reasonable attendance but 70K estimate is nonsense put out by Redbull. For obvious reasons. The City, DECL, etc will also back that made up figure for similar reasons. The crowd count is of course pure fiction because nobody is counting, there is no crowd measurement, etc. its somebody from Redbull basically tweeting "wow, look, 70K people and everybody runs with that figure.

Not a big deal except its trumped numbers like that which distort actual economic impact, appeal, etc.

overall though something worth doing and I'd be fine with the City doing it again as the cost to the city was negligible.

glad people had fun.

Yeah, I went to Churchill just pre event and hardly anybody there. maybe people congregated after the event. Not sure what there was to do there. Screen, couple food trucks, not even any entertainment.

Not one bandstage anywhere is imo disappointing.

TBH I enjoyed a wonderful hike in the river valley and Millcreek Ravine yesterday more than this event. Just not my thing I guess.
    if its not your thing why blab on about it, went with the girlfriend and we had a blast ,great time chatting with folks and there were a lot of kids having a good time just a fun atmosphere. And you ARE negative , very little seems to make you happy and you seem to be an expert on everything, you know your entitled to your opinion but we got it way back dont need to beat the horse its dead
    Excellence is a continual Journey up a staircase where there is NO top step...

No worries Ken, glad you enjoyed it. I thought on messageboards it was considered bad etiquette to ignore replies. I simply respond to posts citing my posts. if people don't want me posting don't reply and it really is that simple.

If people driveby my posts (not saying you) then I'll respond and defend myself.

In anycase for sure the City made money on this and its worth having and doing again which I've said multiple times in my negative bleating...

If theres any deadhorse beating that goes on here at C2E its posters deriding others posts which results in few people posting here and most lurking here.

This board could have arguments about the color of water..

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Personally I thought the 70K attendance figure was low if you looked at the number of people that came downtown for the event. We couldn't get within 1 block of the Shaw conference centre because Jasper was packed so we ended up just watching the big screen from a distance.

No worries Ken, glad you enjoyed it. I thought on messageboards it was considered bad etiquette to ignore replies. I simply respond to posts citing my posts. if people don't want me posting don't reply and it really is that simple.

If people driveby my posts (not saying you) then I'll respond and defend myself.

In anycase for sure the City made money on this and its worth having and doing again which I've said multiple times in my negative bleating...

If theres any deadhorse beating that goes on here at C2E its posters deriding others posts which results in few people posting here and most lurking here.

Do you ever shut up?

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post

Do you ever shut up?
    Not if you keep feeding him...

if people don't want me posting don't reply and it really is that simple.

Second thread I've visited where the emotions are running a bit high.
    Please read............

http://ca.askmen.com/money/body_and_...er_living.html

and get a grip.

Haters gonna hate, time to move on if you ask me.

So this is going back to Quebec City next year. Hopefully we can get it back the following year, but I have a feeling those Cowtowners will also want it now.

^Hehe ain't that the truth. For a city that is by and large ahead of us on the urban entertainment front, they sure seem to get pretty butthurt when we get something that they don't.

I thought the same thing today. How long until Calgary announces that they want it too

Thank goodness Toronto doesn't have a hill...

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post

Do you ever shut up?
    Are you my wife..

It will be back here, no doubts at all. They liked us, they really really liked us..
    We saw it on a big screen, it was great!

Gotta love Global's angle on the news tonight... Instead of celebrating the event, it was largely about how the crowd did or did not cause trouble.
    www.decl.org

The sheer spectacle was fantastic to see. Walking home from Shaw to 104 st and the entire core of downtown was buzzing with people everywhere with restaurants packed.
    Took some vino to the rooftop patio to take in the atmosphere, haven't heard it like that in a while!
    That said, the race itself I found lacking. Not terribly interesting necessarily, but the crowd was definitely well behaved - except the guy who stole an EMS jacket and tried to give a bunch of females CPR, nearly had a hernia laughing so hard...

I looked at a number of Canadian news sites... almost nothing. On CBC.ca it was buried deep in CBC->News->Alberta->Edmonton and even there it was below all the fearmongering and such.

I'm also a bit miffed that the r/Canada page on Reddit was mostly bill C-51 protests. Worthy, but at least one first-page post about our event would have been nice

Great shot

(http://www.630ched.com)
    www.decl.org

A few quick shots from our spot.

www.decl.org

^That was just the line up for the food trucks..

Groucho Marx rimshot

OK, I'm trying to be funny, its Monday, give me a break.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    McBoo = sonned
    Ha ha. Well placed. Couldn't be happier to be wrong. We were there both nights and it's a great show no doubt. (Even enjoyed a music genre I usually avoid like the plague).

I won't quibble 'bout the crowd estimates. 1,00 on Friday night was a ridiculous lowball and 70k for Saturday equally so a highball.

That said, it was jammed and the DT was abuzz.

i.e. - congrats. Y'all come back ya hear!
    ... gobsmacked

^That was just the line up for the food trucks..
    Accurate. Credit where credit is due

You'd have to REALLY want mini donuts something fierce to wait in that line!

Nice photoshop skills, Ian!

Apologies for the necro, if inappropriate. Didn't think bad news warranted a new thread though:
    The downhill skate race that drew 70,000 fans in one night to downtown Edmonton when it debuted in 2015 will not make a repeat performance this year.
    Red Bull Crashed Ice officials announced their 2017 lineup Wednesday. It added Ottawa to the list and not Edmonton.
    http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...r-return-event
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Were we ever guaranteed a 2017 spot or did we just hope to get it? Maybe 2018.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast