Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Red Bull Crash Ice coming

I'd rather C2E than work!

Apparently they wanted to be in Ottawa for 2017 and the 150th birthday of Canada festivities.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Don't believe the clickbait headlines; the article (plus others) said that Edmonton stepped aside so that Ottawa can host it for the national 150th birthday celebrations.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Last edited by JayBee; 01-03-2017 at 04:32 AM.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Red Bull Crashed Ice makes its return to Edmonton
    By Kirby Bourne

After skipping the city for two seasons, Red Bull Crashed Ice will make a stop in Edmonton in 2018.

The World Championship event will take place March 9 and 10.

The downhill ice race brought over 70,000 people to downtown Edmonton for the World Championship event in 2015. It was the first time a Canadian city hosted the event outside of Quebec.

The event sees athletes race down a track made of ice and filled with drops, turns and gaps. Racers can reach speeds of over 60 km/h.

For the 2015 event in Edmonton the track was built into the River Valley, starting near the Shaw Conference Centre. There is no word yet on where the 2018 track will be built.
    http://globalnews.ca/news/3661657/re...n-to-edmonton/

C2E Continued Contributor

Awesome! Was it in March last time as well?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

March 14th I believe, I think it was like 13 C that day.

Excellent news indeed. Let's build up the party side of things though.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

With half of Louise McKinney Park closed off due to LRT construction, be interesting to see where exactly it will be held this time.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

The new layout is MUCH improved for spectators and shots of our Downtown. Expect more soon.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    March 14th I believe, I think it was like 13 C that day.
    It was so warm they had to have tarps over the track to stop the sun from melting the course. They also had to change start times and such to avoid sun melting the track. They even build up tarped shade for some of the track. What a muddy mess it was all over there for spectators in the LMP park area .
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    The new layout is MUCH improved for spectators and shots of our Downtown. Expect more soon.
    I'm looking forward to this event!
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

www.decl.org

Definitely holds promise to be much more crowd friendly.
    ... gobsmacked

Is this televised Ian?

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    Definitely holds promise to be much more crowd friendly.
    Looks that way by my eye as well. Depends though on how much of the area surrounding is under construction and therefore may limit views or viewing points. What I like is the 180turn, and suspect that will be a popular viewing area. Much more of the course would probably be visible now from SCC terraces and from the hill above. Albeit with these things they often put curtains up on Jasper avenue to block views, not sure why they do that. Hopefully people can just stand above and look at the whole site without barricades.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Red Bull Crashed Ice track construction starts February 9

February 7, 2018

In preparation for the return of the Ice Cross Downhill World Championship Finale, track construction will begin February 9, 2018. Construction activities will be mainly between 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. in Louise McKinney Riverfront Park and on 101 Avenue between Jasper Avenue and 96 Street. Specific impacts include:

Road Closures
    Full closure, 101 Avenue between 96 Street and Jasper Avenue, February 9 at 7 a.m. to March 19 at 12 p.m.
    Full closure, Grierson Hill, February 10 and 11 between 10 a.m.- 6 p.m. daily and February 12 between 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.
    West lane closure, 96 Street, south of Jasper Avenue, March 5 at 6 a.m. to March 14 at 4 p.m.

Louise McKinney Riverfront Park and Trail Access
    Park and trail access will be temporarily restricted or detoured during track construction. Please obey posted signs.

Additional impacts, including road closures, parking restrictions and transit detours, will be shared closer to the event. Red Bull will release track details closer to the event.

Red Bull Crashed Ice will be held in Edmonton on March 9 and 10, 2018. The track will start on Jasper Avenue and swerve through Louise McKinney Riverfront Park. Tickets start at just $5/day and are on sale now at redbullcrashedice.com/tickets.

For more information:

On the event
    redbullcrashedice.com
    edmonton.ca/RedBullCrashedIce

On impacts
    [email protected]
    1-833-543-7838

Media contact:
    Alice Leung
    Brand and Marketing
    780-423-2471
    www.decl.org

^The only drawback that I can see in this is just the sheer amount of construction LMP is being exposed to. Lets build a park, then watch it be consumed with years of construction activity. Sometimes overwhelming and prevents a park environment from being seen as, or envisioned as one, or a people place. Theres almost constantly been building of some type in this park since its inception.

I'm going on a tangent and realize this is Red Bull crashed ice but that event is also construction intensive.

I wish some eventual peace for LMP and that it starts to be a regularly enjoyable and perhaps more relaxing spot.

Red Bull Crashed Ice track construction this weekend & upcoming activities

February 16, 2018

Track construction closes Grierson Hill this weekend

The construction of the Red Bull Crashed Ice track continues this weekend requiring full road and shared-use path closures on Grierson Hill, February 18 between 7 a.m.- 6 p.m. and February 19 between 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.

Track construction activities continue in Louise McKinney Riverfront Park and on 101 Avenue between 96 Street and Jasper Avenue.

See all the impacts leading up to and during the event at edmonton.ca/RedBullCrashedIce.

Attend an upcoming event for a chance to win

Challenge the Red Bull obstacle course or Sugga Skills shooting competition for your chance to win swag and tickets. You can also create your own gourmet hot chocolate and warm up by the fire.

Date: Monday, February 19
    Time: 12 - 5 p.m.

Date: Saturday, February 24
    Time: 9:30 a.m. - 12 p.m., includes a meet and greet with professional Canadian
    Red Bull Crashed Ice athletes

Red Bull Crashed Ice will be held in Louise McKinney Riverfront Park on March 9 and 10, 2018. Tickets are on sale now at redbullcrashedice.com/tickets.

For more information:

On the event
    redbullcrashedice.com/edmonton

On impacts
    [email protected]
    1-833-543-7838

Media contact:
    Amy Wolski
    Brand Advisor
    Brand and Marketing
    780-495-0654
    www.decl.org

Can "Swag" stop being a faux modern day term? The 1960's called, they want groovy, far out, cool, and swag back.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Can "Swag" stop being a faux modern day term? The 1960's called, they want groovy, far out, cool, and swag back.
    Swag is an entirely appropriate word to describe corporate-branded merchandise handed out for promotional & advertising purposes.

Language evolves & changes grandpa, but this specific use has been in place for at least 20 years.

http://www.swagworks.ca/
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Or, alternatively from S01E05

"Grandpa: Dear Advertisers, I am disgusted with the way old people are depicted on television. We are not all vibrant, fun-loving sex maniacs. Many of us are bitter, resentful individuals who remember the good old days when entertainment was bland and inoffensive. The following is a list of words I never want to hear on televison again. Number one: bra. Number two: horny. Number three: family jewels."

https://www.tvfanatic.com/quotes/sho...t-the-general/
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    heh, it was obviously a tongue and cheek comment, albeit I don't care for the non descriptive term. It could mean anything. Show up and we'll throw stale candy at you.

Or a bunch of cheap manufactured crap from China with Redbull logos so that we can add to landfill.

heh, it was obviously a tongue and cheek comment, albeit I don't care for the non descriptive term. It could mean anything. Show up and we'll throw stale candy at you.
    No, it's a perfectly descriptive & succinct term.

Or a bunch of cheap manufactured crap from China with Redbull logos so that we can add to landfill.
    This is what swag literally is. Cheap promotional/disposable crap festooned with branding.

The only lasting memory Top_Dawg has of the first time Crashed Ice was held in Emmonton was the sheer number of absolutely polluted revellers all over downtown.

Obviously there is no enforcement of public intoxication laws at this event. There were hammered people everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    The only lasting memory Top_Dawg has of the first time Crashed Ice was held in Emmonton was the sheer number of absolutely polluted revellers all over downtown.Obviously there is no enforcement of public intoxication laws at this event. There were hammered people everywhere.
    That's when viewing the event in the stands was free. We'll see how many show when they are tapped for $5 and then $8. Not a lot of cash but still not free. Last year drew an estimated 70,000.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Quote Originally Posted by bpeters View Post
    The only lasting memory Top_Dawg has of the first time Crashed Ice was held in Emmonton was the sheer number of absolutely polluted revellers all over downtown.

Obviously there is no enforcement of public intoxication laws at this event. There were hammered people everywhere.
    That's when the event was free. We'll see how many show when they are tapped for $5 and then $8. Not a lot of cash but still not free. Last year drew an estimated 70,000.
    You might be surprised. Didn't the AGLC change the beer gardens rules last summer so the entire site can now be licensed? Could get interesting.

So it's going to cost me $5 to get 'in' then inflated dollars for a beer cause the rules won't allow BYOB? The only surprise will be how many less spectators.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Top_Dawg figgers attendance will be very weather dependent.

To Top_Dawg's recollection the last Crashed Ice saw unseasonably mild weather which contributed to a large crowd of pisstanks.

So it's going to cost me $5 to get 'in' then inflated dollars for a beer cause the rules won't allow BYOB? The only surprise will be how many less spectators.
    I never underestimate how much people will pay to drink outdoors.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    I never underestimate how much people will pay to drink outdoors.
    Qft. Fair.

Red Bull Crashed Ice track construction this weekend & upcoming activities

February 16, 2018

Track construction closes Grierson Hill this weekend

(...)

Media contact:
    Amy Wolski
    Brand Advisor
    Brand and Marketing
    780-495-0654

$4-5 million construction cost each time. Built twice now. To largely be paid for by local attendees.

Funicular - some portion of the $25 million - shared cost. Here to stay.

The former - no debate about the value. The latter - endless debate and ridicule.

Scaffolding aint cheap buddy. Factor in other cost and 4/5 millions later...4 /5million ain't that much in today's inflation.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

$4-5 million construction cost each time. Built twice now. To largely be paid for by local attendees.

The former - no debate about the value. The latter - endless debate and ridicule.
    I'm one of the people who doesn't see the value in the public footing the 7-figure bill for what amounts to a giant drunken corporate branding exercise, but keep silent as I know there's a large, vocal contingent on the board who see money as no object when it comes to creating "vibrancy" or whatnot.

Just not worth it to kick yet another hornets' nest.

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    Scaffolding aint cheap buddy. Factor in other cost and 4/5 millions later...4 /5million ain't that much in today's inflation.
    The scale of the construction seems like great value for dollar. Nonetheless, I understand that it makes about a million off attendance.

So, the Elephant in the room is: what’s the net profit for Edmonton?
    Last edited by KC; 01-03-2018 at 09:03 AM.

C2E Continued Contributor

So true. There was some guy walking around double fisting two travel mugs of vodka last time and sharing it with anyone that would listen. He seemed to be making friends with everyone.

I've asked a few people if they are going this year and as soon as the ticket thing is mentioned, people have something else going on.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post

I'm one of the people who doesn't see the value in the public footing the 7-figure bill for what amounts to a giant drunken corporate branding exercise, but keep silent as I know there's a large, vocal contingent on the board who see money as no object when it comes to creating "vibrancy" or whatnot.

Just not worth it to kick yet another hornets' nest.

I'd say kick it...because the events I run...I make sure to have ROI metrics that are agreed to and measurable so that value can be empirically proven...both in hard dollars and economic "impact".

I think more should do the same. I am constantly surprised/disappointed at the huge resistance I get when I mention this to some of my peers....

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post
    (...)

I've asked a few people if they are going this year and as soon as the ticket thing is mentioned, people have something else going on.

...this in and of itself is not a bad thing. Free has its own inherent value...aka if it is free it isn't worth paying for. A paying crowd has more investment into the product...and in many cases...more control and restraint over their actions.

A small example is to look at a lot of the rioters on Whyte during the playoff run a few years back...how many were actual a) ticket buyers and b) hockey fans? Same in Van when the riots happened. Sometimes, the "free" crowd is the most expensive one...

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

(...)

So, the Elephant in the room is: what’s the net profit for Edmonton?

OR...

...what has been defined to show profit, both in hard and soft dollars? I have no doubt that the event will draw, but from where, and what demographics spent what?

Advertisement to the world audience of this event, potential business inquiries, out-of-town visitors, and exposure. There is that say, " to make money, you have to spend money." This is no different than any commerce. To sell an A&W burger, They have to spent money for brick and mortar; and buy products to make their goods. There is also the value community involvement where people come together in peace, celebrate, and enjoy. We have annual New Years fireworks spent by the city, so where are the profits of that financially? None, but the spiritual vales are priceless. We can't always look at the picture with an expectant of a silver coin behind it. If this was a monthly event then I see your point.

The jump is absolutely massive, I cannot wait to see it in action.

This will provide good exposure for the City and will draw well regionally.
    www.decl.org

If anybody has the ability to edit the title, can you please change it to 'Crashed' rather than 'Crash'? It's been incorrect for over 3 years.

... This will provide good exposure for the City and will draw well regionally.
    What benefits will accrue to the neighbourhood (and the businesses therein) which will host the majority of these attendee's? A neighbourhood expressly designated by the COE as ripe for "revitalization" - Sounds like zero. Red Bull Crashed Ice after party in the lobby of the new hotel nearby? Not that I've heard. Three struggling music venues, a great performance space owned by our provincial radio station, 2 restaurants, and cafe's all within a couple blocks of this event. What's the entertainment plan? How can we leverage this event to showcase "The Quarters"? Questions not asked by COE.

Now I know all you, face-to-the-wind, free marketeer types will argue what business is it of the city's to improve local entrepreneurial prospects. Ignoring of course last year's $10 grand paid to some DJ to play Uptown Funk on an endless loop.

Talk about your wasted opportunities...

What you need to know about Red Bull Crashed Ice

March 7, 2018

Red Bull Crashed Ice is back March 9 and 10 with a new course design to set the stage for an exciting season finale. Here’s what you need to know to have a great Red Bull Crashed Ice experience.

Getting There
    Parking
    There is no available public parking onsite at Red Bull Crashed Ice or the Shaw Conference Centre. Street parking and parkades are available at various downtown locations. Regular rates apply. Please be aware there is an evening event at Rogers Place on Saturday, March 10, so plan ahead.

Transit
    Fans are encouraged to take transit, as many regular downtown bus routes travel near the event. Edmonton Transit Service (ETS) will also provide extra LRT and bus service. Regular fares apply. Visit takeETS.com/news for more details.

Transit detours and bus stop closures: Routes 2, 3, 5, 14, 88, 100, 109, 120, 161, 162, 308, 309 and 560 will detour due to the planned road closure on Jasper Avenue between 95A - 99 Street.

Full Road Closures Also see map below
    March 9 at 9 a.m. to March 11 at 12 p.m.
    Jasper Avenue, between 95A - 99 Street
    Grierson Hill
    95A Street, between 101 - 101A Ave
    101 Ave, between 95 - 95A Street
    Vehicles parked in road closure areas will be ticketed and towed.

Walking to the Site
    Funicular hours will be extended to: March 9, 7 a.m. - 10 p.m. and March 10, 7 a.m. - 11 p.m.
    The underground pedway to the Shaw Conference Centre will be closed to the public March 9-10.
    All trails leading into the park will be closed as of 6 p.m. on March 8 to March 11. Please obey the posted signs and use the three event site entrances only.

Taxi Zone
    Taxi drop off and pick up area is on 96 Street between 103 and 103A Avenue.

Accessible Area
    The accessible viewing area is on Jasper Avenue east of the Shaw Conference Centre between 96 and 97 Street. The area is in the free activation zone so a ticket is not required, however access is first-come, first-served. The accessible drop off and pick up location for Disabled Adult Transit Service (DATS) and those with approved placards is on 97 Street south of 101A Avenue.

At the Event
    Tickets
    Friday’s Juniors Championship and Freestyle Competition tickets are $5 (including taxes and fees) and Saturday’s Red Bull Crashed Ice race tickets are $8 (including taxes and fees). Tickets to the general admission areas are required for those aged 2 and up. Get your tickets now to avoid line ups.

Event Site and Amenities
    Use one of these three entrances to access the general admission ticketed area, where access is first-come, first-served. Tickets will be for sale at each of these entrances as well.
    at the top of Grierson Hill, access via 95A Street
    at the bottom of Grierson Hill
    via the Jasper Avenue entrance of the Shaw Conference Centre.
    The event site amenities include merchandise booths, food trucks, indoor and outdoor beer gardens, giant screens and ATMs. The indoor beer garden in Shaw Conference Centre Hall ABC is part of the general admission ticketed area. No tickets are required in the activation zone on Jasper Avenue.

Hours & Schedules
    Friday, March 9
    4:00 p.m. Doors open
    6:00 p.m. Freestyle Competition
    6:15 p.m. Last Chance Qualifiers Race
    8:00 p.m. Juniors Championship
    9:30 p.m. Freestyle Competition - Juniors Championship Prizes

Saturday, March 10
    4:00 p.m. Doors open
    5:30 p.m. Event activities starts
    7:00 p.m. Red Bull Crashed Ice Race starts (Men – Round of 64)
    7:45 p.m. Red Bull Crashed Ice (Women – Quarter-Finals)
    9:00 p.m. Men’s & Women’s Finals
    9:30 p.m. Prizes
    Schedule is weather dependent and subject to change.

Prohibited items include chairs, pets, glass, large signs, crash helmets, big bags, outside food and drink, selfie sticks, and weapons or lasers. Due to the uneven terrain of the event site, strollers are not recommended.

Road Closures
    March 9 at 9 a.m. to March 11 at 12 p.m.

Orange: Red Bull Crashed Ice
    Yellow: Valley Line LRT, N-S on cross streets maintained, Full details
    White: Multi-Use Trail, Trail/Park Cautions & Closures map

Some closures extend beyond this timeframe.
    This map doesn’t show all current traffic disruptions downtown.

For more information:
    redbullcrashedice.com/edmonton

Media contacts:
    Interviews and accreditation requests:
    Alison Palmieri
    Edelman
    416-849-3107

Amy Wolski
    City of Edmonton
    780-495-0654
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    ... This will provide good exposure for the City and will draw well regionally.
    What benefits will accrue to the neighbourhood (and the businesses therein) which will host the majority of these attendee's? A neighbourhood expressly designated by the COE as ripe for "revitalization" - Sounds like zero. Red Bull Crashed Ice after party in the lobby of the new hotel nearby? Not that I've heard. Three struggling music venues, a great performance space owned by our provincial radio station, 2 restaurants, and cafe's all within a couple blocks of this event. What's the entertainment plan? How can we leverage this event to showcase "The Quarters"? Questions not asked by COE.

Now I know all you, face-to-the-wind, free marketeer types will argue what business is it of the city's to improve local entrepreneurial prospects. Ignoring of course last year's $10 grand paid to some DJ to play Uptown Funk on an endless loop.

Talk about your wasted opportunities...

Last time almost every single food/bev/coffee/entertainment place was PACKED before and after.
    www.decl.org

How are ticket sales for this?

Unsure, but tons of buzz.

This jump is nuts.

@KashFida
    www.decl.org

I did a tour of it and can see why the cost is 4 million. The amount of scaffold is quite a lot. Looks to be 3-4+ truck loads of material there then factor in poly-shrink wrap hoarding to that. What i would love to see is this course cross the river once the new LRT bridge is completed. Do a hanging cantilever over to one side of the bridge. It looks awsome that i would try going down the course despite being nearly 50. Where was this crap when i was a kid?

How are they going to make this a pay event? I don't see any fencing or anything like that up in the picture and this course interacts with public trails and accesses. Is this going to be a kind of pay an honor pay system. So little information to go on.

Also seems to me anyway that the best viewing area would be the SCC outdoor paddocks. Presumably this being made into a pay area I imagine but no details of this..

Hope they don't tarp off views from Jasper Avenue in spots like they did the last time. That was pretty cheesy and no reason to do that. Myself I think a good viewing area would be East of SCC on Jasper Ave, the hill, or Grierson road.

Again going to be hard to get people paying to view the event when the best viewing spots are public access spots.

Use one of these three entrances to access the general admission ticketed area, where access is first-come, first-served. Tickets will be for sale at each of these entrances as well.
    at the top of Grierson Hill, access via 95A Street
    at the bottom of Grierson Hill
    via the Jasper Avenue entrance of the Shaw Conference Centre.
    Everything else will be fenced off. I have a feeling that's well underway as we speak.

There are gates at the top and fenced restrictions below.

Tons of information online.

https://redbullcrashedice.frontgatet...SAAEgKsFfD_BwE

COE Information:
    https://www.edmonton.ca/attractions_...ashed-ice.aspx
    www.decl.org

Hockey game Saturday night as well. Oh I'm so glad I'm out of the city..I wonder how many calls the police will get?

A busy Downtown is a good thing my friend. Vibrancy!
    www.decl.org

Yes, I've seen vibrancy play out before. I truly hope all goes well. I thought it was televised...

Full streets is a good thing.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post

Yes, I've seen vibrancy play out before. I truly hope all goes well. I thought it was televised...
    I believe it will air after the late hockey game on CBC. Obviously it will be tape-delayed.

Or you can watch it on RedBullTV if you download the app to your smartTV/AppleTV/Roku/whatever. Or right on twitter.

There are also some viewing parties happening. I believe Yellowhead Brewery is doing a 'Casked Ice' party with a specially brewed beer, and Oilersnation is doing a rooftop viewing party at Craft with the hockey game on one screen and Crashed Ice on the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    Or you can watch it on RedBullTV if you download the app to your smartTV/AppleTV/Roku/whatever. Or right on twitter.

There are also some viewing parties happening. I believe Yellowhead Brewery is doing a 'Casked Ice' party with a specially brewed beer, and Oilersnation is doing a rooftop viewing party at Craft with the hockey game on one screen and Crashed Ice on the other.

I believe it will air after the late hockey game on CBC. Obviously it will be tape-delayed.

Great, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post

Actually, no, at least as far as my schedule says. Sunday March 11 at midnight CBC will be showing the Niagara race.

Perhaps the following Sunday.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

I saw an advertisement the other day on CBC. Hockey broadcast follow with the crash event afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    I saw an advertisement the other day on CBC. Hockey broadcast follow with the crash event afterward.
    The CBC says you are correct: http://www.cbc.ca/programguide/progr...d_ice_final_hd

My DVR scheduler hasn't been updated then.

If it is a nice day/evening, I'm all game for going out to it. $5-8 are three extra large Timmies if one can afford it. It is more than just a sporting event . When we all get together, we become closer as a community hence this type of staging.

The last thing Top_Dawg wants to be close to is the pi$$ed out of their minds chalupa heads this kind of thing appeals to.

Does anyone know the pacing of this kind of event? How much time waiting for something to happen? what is there for filler between heats/races?

If it's anything like last time it all happens pretty quickly. Looking at the schedule there isn't much time between events. I'd expect a minute or two at most between heats, during which you'll hear announcers and some loud music.

You won't be standing around waiting except maybe between events for a few minutes.

Each to their own. There is also that say, " birds of a feather flock together." I'll pick my feathers.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Does anyone know the pacing of this kind of event? How much time waiting for something to happen? what is there for filler between heats/races?
    The last time the only interminable delays were weather related as it was too hot, too much sun, and they had to tarp the run at sections for long periods of time to stop it from deteriorating and getting soft. Other than that seemed a well organized affair albeit I would expect somewhat delayed start times.

Looks like good weather for this, not too warm, but not cold either.

The only problem with the event from a spectator pov is its very much like watching bobsled. Once the racers pass you that's it until the next ones come down. You don't see much of any of the track from one particular vantage point. Theres large screens around as well to watch some of the action you don't see. Its well paced though.

I wonder how much you could see with a set of binoculars from the Funicular staircase, or from the lookout?

I would say pretty good.

Time trials were/are going on according to twitter and Facebook. So if anybody is curious but not into crowds you could check if out tonight.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234