Results 1 to 48 of 48

Thread: Longest lasting vehicles

  1. #1
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Parkdale - Goldbar - Downtown
    Posts
    5,264

    Default Longest lasting vehicles

    Ran across this interesting driving.ca article on long lasting vehicles.

    http://driving.ca/toyota/4runner/aut...ting-vehicles/

    I've always been fascinated with cars that are famous for their reliability and longevity. Toyota trucks come to mind, as does one of my favorites, the venerable Volvo 240 series cars.

    I know people who've cranked extremely high mileage out on expensive cars like a Benz 420, and out of relatively inexpensive cars like a mid '90's Mazda 626.

    What are your experiences with vehicles that have outlasted their counterparts ?
    Last edited by 240GLT; 07-04-2014 at 01:52 PM.
    Parkdale

  2. #2
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    31,496

    Default

    I always find these reliability ratings highly debatable because much of it depends on how much driving punishment and wear & tear they are put through, and how diligent their owners are with maintenance.

    Ever notice that on average, sports cars, BMWs and Audis always need more maintenance? I always question if it's because of the vehicles themselves, or because of the leadfoots who ride them at high speeds on the streets and highways.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  3. #3
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Parkdale - Goldbar - Downtown
    Posts
    5,264

    Default

    ^ true to a certain extent.. but some cars just seem to be engineered to be able to take more use & wear. And many seem to almost be disposable cars.
    Parkdale

  4. #4
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    City of Champions
    Posts
    7,397

    Default

    I had seen a Chevette a couple days ago very little rust, no blue smoke. Car & Driver had described them like a cockroach, ugly but you can't kill them. While it will never be a classic car I was still amazed there are some still running in good condition.

  5. #5
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    3,864

    Default

    I don't think these are as accurate as they could be
    Work trucks will typically see a lot of hwy miles, which are much easier on a vehicle than city driving.

    I would rather see a list of vehicles, broken down by vehicle category, that are in the top decile of vehicles in that category with more than XXX kms on them.

    I would say most toyota trucks have a well earned reputation, regardless of the type of driving they see (I've been in diesel landcruisers with over 500K of hard, sandy desert driving)

    Honda cars in general last pretty long.

    There is also a distinction to be made between long term durability and long term reliability.

  6. #6
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    47,265

    Default

    2002 Honda S2000 that has 160xxx km on it, a lot of hard track time on it in the last 6 years and still on the original clutch. Actually, it has never had anything go on it to be honest... which is a good thing seeing as though I will be keeping it for a long long time.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  7. #7
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Parkdale - Goldbar - Downtown
    Posts
    5,264

    Default

    ^ My previous Toyota Tacoma was at just over 400,000k's on the original clutch. And that's with a lot of fire service/ hydro road travel. Never really had anything go on that truck either... just the odd set of brake pads and a few minor this & thats.
    Last edited by 240GLT; 07-04-2014 at 02:30 PM.
    Parkdale

  8. #8

    Default

    ^years ago I owned a toyota hilux surf diesel (4 runner in NA), it was bullet proof. I read recently that Lexus has the lowest cost of ownership of any vehicle, the opposite IMO of german luxury. I don't think Toyota / Lexus can be beat on reliability, they are engineered from the outset to last. My experiencce with german cars is they are enginnered to break as soon as the waranty goes.

    I had an old Taurus station wagon that seemed very reliable (albeit it very rattley). I think if you get lucky a Ford can run a long time.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^years ago I owned a toyota hilux surf diesel (4 runner in NA), it was bullet proof. I read recently that Lexus has the lowest cost of ownership of any vehicle, the opposite IMO of german luxury. I don't think Toyota / Lexus can be beat on reliability, they are engineered from the outset to last. My experiencce with german cars is they are enginnered to break as soon as the waranty goes.

    I had an old Taurus station wagon that seemed very reliable (albeit it very rattley). I think if you get lucky a Ford can run a long time.
    I always thought the same thing.
    Noticed that there are always tons of 4-5 years old BMW 3 series for sale.
    Other examples...one of my parents' friends bought a new BMW (can't remember which model) and the seat caught on fire.
    My buddy has an Audi A4 and it is just over 4 years old and he has to bring it in for a $5000 repair to the engine.
    My mechanic has also mentioned he sees a lot of European cars in for repairs after the warranty is done.

    Nothing fancy for me, I have a 8 years old Acura TSX and it's still going strong.
    My next car I would definitely get is a Lexus
    Edmonton ~ It may not be perfect, but it's home~

  10. #10
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Parkdale - Goldbar - Downtown
    Posts
    5,264

    Default

    Audis seem to have a legacy of issues.. From my dad's 5000 in the early 80's to friends who have bought A4's and 6's.. All appear to be maintenance nightmares

    I wish I could get the Toyota 3.0L inline turbo diesel in a Tacoma.. Toyota has manufactured some spectacular engines

    We just bought a 2007 Lexus ES350 for a commuter car. It's as new with 21,000 km's on it. We'll see how well it does with the double threat of Edmonton roads and the S.O.'s driving style
    Parkdale

  11. #11
    First One is Always Free
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Subaru Impreza sw 2007.
    The best car ever built

  12. #12

    Default

    This spring I bought 2013 Toyota Tacoma TRD to complete the "Champion of Suburbia" look... well not for that reason... but it fits.

    I rarely drive to work now-a-days (I mostly walk/bike), so my truck is mostly for pleasure - taking my/friends bikes to anywhere doesn't work so well with a sedan

  13. #13
    Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    12,061

    Default

    my daily driver is a 1992 series 3 v-12 jaguar. it's the second one i've owned - the first was written off . at 125k it's barely broken in and we'll be picking up an identical -except for colour - car next month in victoria and driving back. the secret to keeping any older car on the road is having a good mechanic and taking his advice without putting things off (ie when he says you "should do" something whether it's new hoses or suspension bushings you should do it even if he says you don't "have to").
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
    Ran across this interesting driving.ca article on long lasting vehicles.

    http://driving.ca/toyota/4runner/aut...ting-vehicles/

    I've always been fascinated with cars that are famous for their reliability and longevity. Toyota trucks come to mind, as does one of my favorites, the venerable Volvo 240 series cars.

    I know people who've cranked extremely high mileage out on expensive cars like a Benz 420, and out of relatively inexpensive cars like a mid '90's Mazda 626.

    What are your experiences with vehicles that have outlasted their counterparts ?
    Toyota trucks maybe but not Toyota 4Runners. My 1990s 4Runner needed new rear springs after a drive to Alaska (with just my wife and I and a couple tents and supplies), replacement headlights every month it seemed until Toyota replaced them all at once (a secret recall?), $1,000 computer chip, etc. ... And just a few years after I dumped mine I'd see that model year on the roads all covered in rust. My Nissan Pathfinder and my govt surplus GM suburban performed better than the Toyota.

    Our Honda Odyssey needed had 3 transmissions in 80,000 km

    My two Saabs were pretty amazing though reaching near 600,000 km combined with very little unusual work ($1,000 chip replacement on the '95 Aero) one clutch on the '86 at near 300,000 km and a headlight wiper motor. My brother's '80s Volvo GLE was pretty amazing too. He kept it for 17 or 18 years and it held up well the whole time.

  15. #15
    C2E Posting Power
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    YEG: Alberta Avenue, Boyle Street, McCauley | YLW: Shannon Lake | PHX: San Tan Valley
    Posts
    807

    Default

    Anything with the Mercedes-Benz OM617 inline 5 diesel engine in it.

  16. #16
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Crawford Plains, Millwoods since 1985
    Posts
    2,737

    Default

    I'm driving a 1997 Buick LeSabre with 291 000 km on it that I bought off my great uncle in 2006 for $5000.00. The GMC Series II motor is renowned for lasting decades and hundreds of thousands of miles. I take care of the car, do preventive maintenance and regular oil changes. Just last week put new spark plugs, wires, serpentine belt and fuel filter in it. Water pump/power steering pump were done about 5 years ago, buddy and I put in new struts 3 years ago, brakes & tires last year. Being an old man car, my insurance is cheap like borscht. When roads turn icy I don't venture out if it's not needed because I know the car isn't worth anything and if I get hit by someone I'll get a paltry $500.00 check. Good luck finding something else that's been as reliable as the ol' Buick.

    One of these summers she's gonna have to be retired though

  17. #17
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    10,872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    my daily driver is a 1992 series 3 v-12 jaguar. it's the second one i've owned - the first was written off . at 125k it's barely broken in and we'll be picking up an identical -except for colour - car next month in victoria and driving back. the secret to keeping any older car on the road is having a good mechanic and taking his advice without putting things off (ie when he says you "should do" something whether it's new hoses or suspension bushings you should do it even if he says you don't "have to").
    heh, I'm sure any car, even a Jaguar, can be kept on the road forever so long as you have a team of mechanics on call. I believe the intent of the thread is to look at vehicles that last a long period, with minimal maintenance. Older Jaguars are somewhere around the bottom of any list when talking in those terms, although they've gotten much better the past decade or so, but still really trail the Japanese:

    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/mone...y-report-.html

    The Jaguar XF had the poorest reliability of all 246 vehicles rated. Jaguar also was the lowest rated brand. Audi and Porsche rounded out the bottom three.
    Another pretty well known and huge problem Jaguar had in the 90's: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...uar-nikasil-v8

    And that's not even touching on how horrid they were prior to the 90's, with electrical fires and all that fun stuff.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    I'm driving a 1997 Buick LeSabre with 291 000 km on it that I bought off my great uncle in 2006 for $5000.00(
    Oh wow, I had a newer model for a year or so, picked up off a colleagues dad. The push road engine gets great fuel economy on the freeway. I didn't like how low it sat, but seemed reasonably relaible.

  19. #19
    Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    12,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    my daily driver is a 1992 series 3 v-12 jaguar. it's the second one i've owned - the first was written off . at 125k it's barely broken in and we'll be picking up an identical -except for colour - car next month in victoria and driving back. the secret to keeping any older car on the road is having a good mechanic and taking his advice without putting things off (ie when he says you "should do" something whether it's new hoses or suspension bushings you should do it even if he says you don't "have to").
    heh, I'm sure any car, even a Jaguar, can be kept on the road forever so long as you have a team of mechanics on call. I believe the intent of the thread is to look at vehicles that last a long period, with minimal maintenance. Older Jaguars are somewhere around the bottom of any list when talking in those terms, although they've gotten much better the past decade or so, but still really trail the Japanese:

    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/mone...y-report-.html

    The Jaguar XF had the poorest reliability of all 246 vehicles rated. Jaguar also was the lowest rated brand. Audi and Porsche rounded out the bottom three.
    Another pretty well known and huge problem Jaguar had in the 90's: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...uar-nikasil-v8

    And that's not even touching on how horrid they were prior to the 90's, with electrical fires and all that fun stuff.
    on the other hand, if you're talking vehicles that are more than 20 years old, the odds are pretty good that, if it's still on the road today, it either wasn't a lemon or a "problem car" to begin with and that any issues it might have had have likely long been sorted to the good. like evolution, the bad ones have probably long since expired. that's probably true regardless of the marque but one of the things in jaguar's favour that can't be said for most marques after 20 plus years is that oem standard parts are still readily available and still relatively economical.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

  20. #20

    Default

    After spending 30years in pretty much all facets of the car biz including sales and service I have learned a few things...

    1) Everyone makes a lemon and an exceptionally good unit occasionally.

    2) If it is from a mainline manufacturer it is likely to be an average of what they build with the above exceptions in 1).

    3) The more complex the vehicle the more likely that maintenance will be higher.
    ....Simply more stuff to go wrong.

    4) All of the mainline manufacturers new cars will make 2-300,000km if maintained to the owners manual with the above exceptions in 1).

    5) I don't care what it is if you don't maintain it according to the manufacturers recommendations (doesn't have to be at the dealer long as it gets done)...it will be junk and drive you nuts.

    6) As long as you stick with mainline manufacturers...find the car that fits you best and your budget best (regardless of which mainline manufacturer) buy it, drive it and don't worry about other peoples choices.

    Personally I have no intention of buying driving a new car, currently everything I have is over a decade old, over 200km (except my two antiques), is well maintained, works fine, is inexpensive to drive and cheap to own.

    In my highly biased personal opinion

  21. #21
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Parkdale - Goldbar - Downtown
    Posts
    5,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
    Ran across this interesting driving.ca article on long lasting vehicles.

    http://driving.ca/toyota/4runner/aut...ting-vehicles/

    I've always been fascinated with cars that are famous for their reliability and longevity. Toyota trucks come to mind, as does one of my favorites, the venerable Volvo 240 series cars.

    I know people who've cranked extremely high mileage out on expensive cars like a Benz 420, and out of relatively inexpensive cars like a mid '90's Mazda 626.

    What are your experiences with vehicles that have outlasted their counterparts ?
    Toyota trucks maybe but not Toyota 4Runners. My 1990s 4Runner needed new rear springs after a drive to Alaska (with just my wife and I and a couple tents and supplies), replacement headlights every month it seemed until Toyota replaced them all at once (a secret recall?), $1,000 computer chip, etc. ... And just a few years after I dumped mine I'd see that model year on the roads all covered in rust. My Nissan Pathfinder and my govt surplus GM suburban performed better than the Toyota.

    Our Honda Odyssey needed had 3 transmissions in 80,000 km

    My two Saabs were pretty amazing though reaching near 600,000 km combined with very little unusual work ($1,000 chip replacement on the '95 Aero) one clutch on the '86 at near 300,000 km and a headlight wiper motor. My brother's '80s Volvo GLE was pretty amazing too. He kept it for 17 or 18 years and it held up well the whole time.
    Odd. Seeing as a 90's 4runner is almost the exact same vehicle as a 90's Tacoma/ Pickup, I'd say you got a dud. I know tons of people that have rung up huge k's on 4runners

    I'd say you got lucky with the Saabs as well. I love them, as a drivers car they are fun, fast and agile (my aunt had a 900 SPG Turbo for some time) But holy I have heard some repair horror stories
    Parkdale

  22. #22
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Parkdale - Goldbar - Downtown
    Posts
    5,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    my daily driver is a 1992 series 3 v-12 jaguar. it's the second one i've owned - the first was written off . at 125k it's barely broken in and we'll be picking up an identical -except for colour - car next month in victoria and driving back. the secret to keeping any older car on the road is having a good mechanic and taking his advice without putting things off (ie when he says you "should do" something whether it's new hoses or suspension bushings you should do it even if he says you don't "have to").
    heh, I'm sure any car, even a Jaguar, can be kept on the road forever so long as you have a team of mechanics on call. I believe the intent of the thread is to look at vehicles that last a long period, with minimal maintenance. Older Jaguars are somewhere around the bottom of any list when talking in those terms, although they've gotten much better the past decade or so, but still really trail the Japanese:

    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/mone...y-report-.html

    The Jaguar XF had the poorest reliability of all 246 vehicles rated. Jaguar also was the lowest rated brand. Audi and Porsche rounded out the bottom three.
    Another pretty well known and huge problem Jaguar had in the 90's: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...uar-nikasil-v8

    And that's not even touching on how horrid they were prior to the 90's, with electrical fires and all that fun stuff.
    on the other hand, if you're talking vehicles that are more than 20 years old, the odds are pretty good that, if it's still on the road today, it either wasn't a lemon or a "problem car" to begin with and that any issues it might have had have likely long been sorted to the good. like evolution, the bad ones have probably long since expired. that's probably true regardless of the marque but one of the things in jaguar's favour that can't be said for most marques after 20 plus years is that oem standard parts are still readily available and still relatively economical.
    And further to that point, is that as vehicle technology advances, older cars get easier to work on and parts get easier to source. My 30 year old Volvo 242 for instance, was a premium car back in its day, parts were expensive and not everyone knew how to fix it (When I was young a great many friends' parents drove Volvos and due to my sick fascination with them I have always paid attention) However now, the technology is fairly old, parts are commonplace to the point that the car is almost infinitely repairable at very low cost, and can be done by anyone with basic automotive skills.
    Parkdale

  23. #23
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    10,872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    on the other hand, if you're talking vehicles that are more than 20 years old, the odds are pretty good that, if it's still on the road today, it either wasn't a lemon or a "problem car" to begin with and that any issues it might have had have likely long been sorted to the good. like evolution, the bad ones have probably long since expired. that's probably true regardless of the marque but one of the things in jaguar's favour that can't be said for most marques after 20 plus years is that oem standard parts are still readily available and still relatively economical.
    Sometimes parts availability can be a fluke of circumstance, as well. My brother picked up a 1980 BMW M1 on an auction a few years back, and discovered that apparently BMW has a warehouse full of parts back in Germany. They only ever made 400 of the things, and there's probably less than 300 surviving, but parts are readily available because BMW had expected to make significantly more of them. So he'll be able to keep that thing on the road indefinitely, although having Eurasia give it a "once over" (they pretty much took it apart and put it back together again) wasn't all that economical.

  24. #24
    C2E Junkie *
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,882
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
    (...) as does one of my favorites, the venerable Volvo 240 series cars.



    What are your experiences with vehicles that have outlasted their counterparts ?
    LOL. I had to laugh at the 240...not malicious at all. My Dad has owned several, and kicked the ever loving crap out of them and they still run. He still brags that they out handle some of my cars, but he has yet to actually take me up on a track day...

    As for my experiences, I've kept many cars running long after they were to expire...including a 1984 Shove-it (Chevette). An old NYC taxi maintenance steward (no, not Latka) told me the secret to their fleet and it is what I use today. Keep it maintained. Change the oil regularly even before it is recommended. Keep it tuned. Fix the small problems before they become big ones. Don't overly modify - buy your cars for their purpose. That is how they kept that fleet running for so long.

    It works. Cars that were supposed to die early I get 400K+ kms out of.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hinderks View Post
    (...)
    3) The more complex the vehicle the more likely that maintenance will be higher.
    ....Simply more stuff to go wrong.

    5) I don't care what it is if you don't maintain it according to the manufacturers recommendations (doesn't have to be at the dealer long as it gets done)...it will be junk and drive you nuts.


    Personally I have no intention of buying driving a new car, currently everything I have is over a decade old, over 200km (except my two antiques), is well maintained, works fine, is inexpensive to drive and cheap to own.

    (...)
    I agree. one of the biggest gripes I had about the new cars is the amount of garbage included. The more complex the plumbing, the easier to clog. I almost blew up a Ford Fusion rental I had in Vancouver recently. If it wasn't for the glowing dashboard, it was the myriad of crap in the steering wheel, and a Driver's Centre that just drove me nuts.

    My cars are not brand new. In fact, I tend to buy well maintained used cars. I have no regrets.
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

  25. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hinderks View Post
    3) The more complex the vehicle the more likely that maintenance will be higher.
    ....Simply more stuff to go wrong.
    I think the Japanese have disproved this, Lexus, Infiniti and Acura if anything get better reliability ratings than Toyota, Nissan and Honda. Also, the Prius is incredibly reliable despite a complex powertrain (although electric motors are renowned for reliability).

  26. #26
    Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    12,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hinderks View Post
    ...

    3) The more complex the vehicle the more likely that maintenance will be higher.
    ...
    nothing that complex here, boss:



    lots of it in not much space perhaps, but not actually that complex...
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

  27. #27
    Partially Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Glenora
    Posts
    187

    Default

    As much as BMWs/Audis are great drivers cars, they are so overengineered, and I swear to god at times they seem like they were designed to blow up once the warranty has expired.

    I think Toyota had a good run in the early to mid 90's. A lot of the cars from that lot have faired well over the years. The Toyota dealership in my hometown has a Camry with a million kilometres on it and still running.

    I also own a Paseo that I use for TSD rally/auto-x and the stupid little car has been abused on rough roads, a close encounter with a cow, left in the cold unplugged for months, and ran over several pallets at 110 kph, but the thing still runs.

    As mentioned, with all the add-ons these days in modern vehicles, there are far more things to go wrong. Get a vehicle with little to no options and you got basic reliable transportation in general.

  28. #28
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Parkdale - Goldbar - Downtown
    Posts
    5,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
    (...) as does one of my favorites, the venerable Volvo 240 series cars.



    What are your experiences with vehicles that have outlasted their counterparts ?
    LOL. I had to laugh at the 240...not malicious at all. My Dad has owned several, and kicked the ever loving crap out of them and they still run. He still brags that they out handle some of my cars, but he has yet to actually take me up on a track day...
    Those cars were built to take a beating, there is no doubt. There are some very odd assembly techniques but really these 240 series cars are probably some of the toughest built passenger cars.

    A stock 240 typically has a lot of body roll but the suspension is quite responsive so they are easy to throw around. However with some aftermarket sway bars, shocks & struts and eurathane bushings you can tighten the handling up significantly. GLT versions like mine come with upgraded handing and braking right out of the factory

    Turbo models are easily modified as well.. I've seen a modified 240 turbo push 400hp.. that's usually enough to beat most anything else on the road
    Parkdale

  29. #29
    C2E Junkie *
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,882
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    ...but I can modify a Shove-it to the point where it does some pretty cool things...and that then kills the reliability equation that started this thread...

    Cars like the 24X series were purpose built for the area and the parameters the manufacturer decided. The reliability of the Volvo came from their engineering. So, to modify it to out handle/out accelerate other cars purpose built to go fast...kills the reliability...

    ...but I did have fun taking a 72 DL through snow drifts and treating it like a snow plow...man...what I did to that poor car...and it kept running...
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

  30. #30

    Default

    Someone auto-x's a Volvo wagon with an LS motor in it.. it's awesome seeing that handle. I'm sure Ian has pictures of it somewhere.

  31. #31
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Parkdale - Goldbar - Downtown
    Posts
    5,264

    Default

    ^ I know a few people with V-8 Volvos. A good friends' wife in BC has an '86 245 wagon with an LT-1 under the hood. The only way you call tell (other than the sound and the fat 235/50/16's on powdercoated black steelies) is the two 3" exhaust tips out the back


    But to Richards point.. yes, heavily modifiying cars does tend to have a life shortening effect on them. I had a '97 Accord EX-R for a while... which for all intents & purposes should have been an extremely reliable car, but after I had it for a while, it became apparent that it had been modified by the previous owner, and then put back to stock before sale.

    It had a tonne of problems... but probably less because of the modifications themselves, and more due to how the type of person who would do that kind of thing to a car would typically treat it.
    Last edited by 240GLT; 10-04-2014 at 03:45 PM.
    Parkdale

  32. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
    Ran across this interesting driving.ca article on long lasting vehicles.

    http://driving.ca/toyota/4runner/aut...ting-vehicles/

    I've always been fascinated with cars that are famous for their reliability and longevity. Toyota trucks come to mind, as does one of my favorites, the venerable Volvo 240 series cars.

    I know people who've cranked extremely high mileage out on expensive cars like a Benz 420, and out of relatively inexpensive cars like a mid '90's Mazda 626.

    What are your experiences with vehicles that have outlasted their counterparts ?
    Toyota trucks maybe but not Toyota 4Runners. My 1990s 4Runner needed new rear springs after a drive to Alaska (with just my wife and I and a couple tents and supplies), replacement headlights every month it seemed until Toyota replaced them all at once (a secret recall?), $1,000 computer chip, etc. ... And just a few years after I dumped mine I'd see that model year on the roads all covered in rust. My Nissan Pathfinder and my govt surplus GM suburban performed better than the Toyota.

    Our Honda Odyssey needed had 3 transmissions in 80,000 km

    My two Saabs were pretty amazing though reaching near 600,000 km combined with very little unusual work ($1,000 chip replacement on the '95 Aero) one clutch on the '86 at near 300,000 km and a headlight wiper motor. My brother's '80s Volvo GLE was pretty amazing too. He kept it for 17 or 18 years and it held up well the whole time.
    Odd. Seeing as a 90's 4runner is almost the exact same vehicle as a 90's Tacoma/ Pickup, I'd say you got a dud. I know tons of people that have rung up huge k's on 4runners

    I'd say you got lucky with the Saabs as well. I love them, as a drivers car they are fun, fast and agile (my aunt had a 900 SPG Turbo for some time) But holy I have heard some repair horror stories
    Saab was in the top 20 of the top 100 in this model by model list. Check out the list and the cheaper saab 9-3 was nearer 100 along with BMWs, Audi, Mazda. Many vehicle models didn't even make this top 100 list. Now, which of the top 20 would you have wanted to be in, or be able to avoid an accident in?

    Incredibly Jag is listed below. It must be tough to leave a bad reputation behind because like Hyundai being reliable, for years I'd say that would be impossible to believe.

    Excerpt:

    "Honda Accord
    Subaru Forester
    Mazda MX-5
    Mitsubishi Carisma
    Toyota Yaris
    Honda Civic
    Nissan Almera
    Honda CR-V
    Toyota RAV4
    Nissan Micra
    Lexus IS 200
    Mazda 626
    Jaguar X-Type
    Toyota Landcruiser
    Volvo S/V40
    MINI (BMW)
    Suzuki Vitara
    Mazda 323
    Toyota Carina E
    Saab 9-5
    Lexus LS400"

    The 100 most reliable cars of the last decade (in order)
    By Mike Hanlon
    May 20, 2006
    http://www.gizmag.com/the-100-most-r...in-order/5657/



    One more link:
    Vehicles Known as the Most Reliable
    Excerpt:


    20. Saab
    "Probably one of the longest lasting and most reliable cars ever introduced to the market when it first came out, this mid-sized luxury sedan remains cheaper than most, but it’s comfortable ride and lasting reliability makes it work every small penny. ...

    Saab 9-5 Awards:

    The Safest Car, Sweden (2003)
    Top Safety Pick, Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (2011)
    5 (*****) Frontal Crash Test Rating, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (2006)
    Best Bet, The Car Book (2004)"

    http://www.carinsurancecomparison.co...reliable-cars/
    Last edited by KC; 10-04-2014 at 08:26 PM.

  33. #33

    Default

    The old Volkswagen Bettle was a car that lasted a long time.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

  34. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Incredibly Jag is listed below. It must be tough to leave a bad reputation behind because like Hyundai being reliable, for years I'd say that would be impossible to believe.

    Excerpt:

    "Honda Accord
    Subaru Forester
    Mazda MX-5
    Mitsubishi Carisma
    Toyota Yaris
    Honda Civic
    Nissan Almera
    Honda CR-V
    Toyota RAV4
    Nissan Micra
    Lexus IS 200
    Mazda 626
    Jaguar X-Type
    Toyota Landcruiser
    Volvo S/V40
    MINI (BMW)
    Suzuki Vitara
    Mazda 323
    Toyota Carina E
    Saab 9-5
    Lexus LS400"
    Something seems wrong here, a bit UK biased perhaps. I've seen various reports that BMW minis are not reliable at all, not as bad as the originals I guess, but not as easy to fix either.

  35. #35

    Default

    ^ yeah, maybe it's time for a review of these agencies to find the most reliable reliability screen.

    Though in the top twenty above the bias seems towards the Asians and I'm not sure if it's totally due to parts and assembly reliability or if factors like secret recalls, quiet fixes, extensive dealer "servicing" at the 30k, 60k check ups that bump them up.
    Last edited by KC; 10-04-2014 at 10:12 PM.

  36. #36
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Parkdale - Goldbar - Downtown
    Posts
    5,264

    Default

    ^^ Yes..BMW minis get terrible reliability reviews here in NA.

    Maybe the standards are different in the UK.

    I know you'd have different results in different locations... for instance in Germany you're hard pressed to find a car with over 150,000 km's on it due to the cost of driving there and the much more stringent vehicle insection and certification process.
    Parkdale

  37. #37
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    10,872

    Default

    One other thing about "reliability" ratings is that often different publications have very different definitions and ways of measuring things. Some track actual mechanical breakdowns and repair costs. Some merely track owner complaints (Initial Quality Ratings), so even something like a squeaky seat counts the same as the transmission falling out. It's not an easy thing to find accurate data on.

  38. #38
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Parkdale - Goldbar - Downtown
    Posts
    5,264

    Default

    My latest Consumer Reports has the new vehicle reliability ratings survey. Some notes:

    Once again Toyota is top of the heap by a wide margin, with Luxury sedans by Lexus, small cars (Yaris), minivans (Sienna), SUV's (Highlander, 4Runner), large trucks (Tundra) and small trucks (Tacoma) all leading their respective categories. Honda scored fairly well, Nissans have dropped significantly in the ratings, with the Pathfinder falling out the bottom

    On the Luxury side, many european cars that have typically fared poorly are doing mcuh better, with Audi, Volvo and BMW posting big increases in reliability

    Ford has received abysmal ratings, mainly for their trucks and SUV's. The only Ford vehicle that scored well was the Fusion Eco Boost. The new Fiesta scored very poorly.

    Chrysler products also all fell way below average reliability ratings.

    The Fiat 500 continues to be the worst vehicle sold in North America in terms of reliability

    Thoughts ?
    Last edited by 240GLT; 05-11-2014 at 12:06 PM.
    Parkdale

  39. #39
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    City of Champions
    Posts
    7,397

    Default

    Sadly my Corolla is stuck on 299,999 km, I'm guessing I have about 400,000 km on it by how many times the trip odometer has zeroed out. If my car dies tomorrow it would have served me well, although it currently has no huge problems asides then a dent and scuff.

    It would be nice if I could read the actual mileage (kilometerage?) from the computer just to see how much is actually on it.

  40. #40

    Default

    ^ what year is it ? does it have ODBII??

  41. #41
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    City of Champions
    Posts
    7,397

    Default

    2007 yah it has ODBII and I have a reader too, I'll have to check, but from websites the odometer reading is stored only on flash chip in the odometer itself.

    It is a known Toyota problem, but really after about 200,000 km the mileage somewhat becomes irrelevant, the car is worth probably the same (close to 0) at a certain point.
    http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/13...99999km-2.html

  42. #42
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    3,713

    Default

    ^ wow that many Km's for a 2007 thats impressive. do you do a lot of long range drives?

    i have an 03 car that's just under 160Km...
    be offended! figure out why later...

  43. #43
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Parkdale - Goldbar - Downtown
    Posts
    5,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    2007 yah it has ODBII and I have a reader too, I'll have to check, but from websites the odometer reading is stored only on flash chip in the odometer itself.

    It is a known Toyota problem, but really after about 200,000 km the mileage somewhat becomes irrelevant, the car is worth probably the same (close to 0) at a certain point.
    http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/13...99999km-2.html
    I sold my '98 Tacoma with just over 400,000 km's on it last December for $4200

    Not a ton of money but still something
    Parkdale

  44. #44
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    City of Champions
    Posts
    7,397

    Default

    Its been to a good portion of western Canada and United States a few times and has served me well.

  45. #45
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    City of Champions
    Posts
    7,397

    Default

    I was driving today and heard a super large boom in the car, I thought I threw a rod or an exhaust backfire blew off the muffler. Looked at the gauges everything seemed normal, when I finally stopped the car I looked in the trunk and forgot a 2L pop which had exploded from being frozen.
    And the car lives another day.

  46. #46
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Parkdale - Goldbar - Downtown
    Posts
    5,264

    Default

    ^ that's funny! Glad it'll only cost you $2 in paper towels rather than a new car

    Way, way back when I was 17, and working as a camp councilor in BC over the summer, I left two cans of beer (Black Label, IIRC) on the passenger side floor of my rusty trusty ol' Volvo wagon while it was parked for a week at the Marina parking lot by our camp, in the blazing hot sun. At the end of that camp session, My buddy & I hopped in the car and my bud grabbed the two cans and tossed them over his shoulder into the back seat. Both cans exploded, showering the inside of the car and both of us with hot beer. It was so rank that I had to pull over a few k's down the road so we could strip down and jump in the lake to wash off.. I never was able to get the smell out of that car though
    Parkdale

  47. #47

    Default

    One of the most reliable vehicles I have owned was the 80’s or early 90’s Toyota trucks or 4-runner with the 22re engine. Most of those old trucks died because of the body not the engine. I had an 88’ 4 –runner that had 520,000km when my brother crashed it. Brother-in-law had a 1987 Toyota truck also with over 400,000 km that eventually rusted out, but the engine was still strong! You still see the odd one around town, tough trucks!

  48. #48
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Crawford Plains, Millwoods since 1985
    Posts
    2,737

    Default

    I was driving today and heard a super large boom in the car, I thought I threw a rod or an exhaust backfire blew off the muffler. Looked at the gauges everything seemed normal, when I finally stopped the car I looked in the trunk and forgot a 2L pop which had exploded from being frozen.
    And the car lives another day.
    LOL funny stuff. The list of reliable cars that was posted earlier is a bit disappointing... 100 reliable cars named and not one a Buick? I'm not just saying this because I own one... but it's been well known for years that they're generally pretty reliable.

    I'm almost at 299 000 Km, when she turns 300 I'm gonna pamper the ol' gal and get a car wash, needed or not

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •