Thread: Laurier Park Redo

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Laurier Park Redo

Laurier Park Redo

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Recently saw an article picturing the concept drawing for the Yorath house refurb and expansion. Nice to see that it will be used.

Does anyone know the history of the park area? Walk the trails there and you'll see the odd remnant of long gone development down there.
    Last edited by KC; 27-07-2016 at 09:53 AM.

The house is looking really nice after the renos and addition.

https://www.edmonton.ca/activities_p...ath-house.aspx
    Last edited by KC; 08-04-2019 at 07:40 PM.

C2E Long Term Contributor

I had heard about this and a truly wonderful new venue for our City.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Imagine if the streetcar from Fort Edmonton was extended across a new multi-use bridge from Fox Drive and followed the dashed red line to Mayfair Park.

The Yorath house was under restoration for over 2 years. They were finding more issues as the demoed. It is what happens when you neglect a facility for 15 years. The Gardens are going to be restored as well. The large grassy field toward the river is supposed to be retable for weddings. Bring back the days when the Yoraths had Garden parties during Klondike days. The parking areas have all be enlarged so there is less conflict with the rowing club. Since they paid for the first parking lot. Also both facilities had septic tanks. There is now a dedicated sewage line to the Yorath House and Rowing Club. Having that line will allow commercial use of the house.

This is another of the joys of C2E: finding out about a place I've never heard of despite 50+ years living here and no small amount of curiosity about my city.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

I was lucky to Know Mrs Yorath. The house was quite something when she was alive. I believe the Queen was there once as well. When the house was put on the block the Rowing Club had first right of refusal. They did not have 700.000 at the time and the City Purchased it. I believe one of the Allard Kids was bidding on it as well. There were at least 4 houses originally along that stretch of the river. The rowing Club had a house where the current boat house is and there were about 2 others north of there. A Journal reporter lived in one of them in the early 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Imagine if the streetcar from Fort Edmonton was extended across a new multi-use bridge from Fox Drive and followed the dashed red line to Mayfair Park.
    Streetcar and/or train.

You'd need a much more substantial bridge for the train. Also, they could use double ended streetcars whereas the trin would need a turnaround or have to back up.