Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Stanley Milner Library Exterior Redesign

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    Looks like the entire building is prepped and they're ready to install the actual end product, of which a small section is visible near the swooping front/side. So contrary to the popular belief earlier in this thread, it is not essentially a standing seam roof. I'm looking forward to having a full side done so we can get a real understanding of what the finished product will look like rather than the constant barrage of negativity that this thread has turned into.
    i'm pretty sure the vertical "board and batten" is the finished zinc cladding and the small section you're looking at is still to be covered... you can see some of that sequencing in IanO's photos in post 804.

the window caps and flashings and mulions all look complete until you get to that point as well.

the south side and then wrapping north on the east and west elevations is, as near as i can tell, the "full side done" you're looking for. the fact you think it still looks like a building prepped and ready for the actual end product speaks volumes.
    Last edited by kcantor; 06-11-2018 at 02:56 PM.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

I'd rather C2E than work!

Maybe it's the angle, but that section does not look like what was installed below everything else to me.

I just had a sneak peak at the new Capilano branch (opens in 2 days), and I asked one of the communications people there about the Milner exterior. She said that there's only a small patch of the exterior that's done with the finished product (I don't think it's zinc, she used a different name). Most of what you see is not the finished product. I also mentioned to her about this thread.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

In all honest, it is irrelevant how the lipstick is applied to the pig. The design conception is wrong from the very start; on top of which, the architect firm- which we paid for their services- stole the design from a local.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    I just had a sneak peak at the new Capilano branch (opens in 2 days), and I asked one of the communications people there about the Milner exterior. She said that there's only a small patch of the exterior that's done with the finished product (I don't think it's zinc, she used a different name). Most of what you see is not the finished product. I also mentioned to her about this thread.
    there might be "only a small patch" on the front but what looks like finished "board and batten" material on site as shown in the above photos looks pretty close to the finished material shown on their own web-site:

Looks like the entire building is prepped and they're ready to install the actual end product, of which a small section is visible near the swooping front/side. So contrary to the popular belief earlier in this thread, it is not essentially a standing seam roof. I'm looking forward to having a full side done so we can get a real understanding of what the finished product will look like rather than the constant barrage of negativity that this thread has turned into.
    I agree. We know little with any certainty of its final appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Just saw you on global can i have your autograph now lol

I took a stroll past after work and it appears Ken is right. I had it backwards. It's still not as bad as some here are making it out to be, but not what we were sold in the renderings.

I took a stroll past after work and it appears Ken is right. I had it backwards. It's still not as bad as some here are making it out to be, but not what we were sold in the renderings.
    Never are. Those are just slick marketing devices used by sleazy salesmen and the sleazy committees seeking approval.

C2E SME

Some kind of siding is going up (top right).
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    The interiors and function of the revised Milner will be fantastic... and I will hold my comments on the exterior until it is complete, but I am not thrilled at the moment.
    I heard from someone else today that the interior is very nice.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

The interiors and function of the revised Milner will be fantastic... and I will hold my comments on the exterior until it is complete, but I am not thrilled at the moment.

emphasis added...

isnt that a comment?

One good thing about it is this, city council will have to stare at this juggernaut on a daily dosage.

Off topic, does anyone know what is happening at the fountain pool at city hall?
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    One good thing about it is this, city council will have to stare at this juggernaut on a daily dosage.

Off topic, does anyone know what is happening at the fountain pool at city hall?
    City Council decided it did not want a knee deep ďpoolĒ and wanted to get rid of the children out of front. So itís a foot splash area - kids need to go to the Legislature for fun. Such a bother those future voters are for the bureaucrats.

I’ve wondered if the roof angles will create any interesting reflections of sunlight. (High daytime sun in summer might reflect northward a bit after a rain, moisture or frost and possibly even snow could add to its refectiveness.)

via: https://twitter.com/thebinster/status/1064740189451444224

Liking the windows, but those beams make it look like a pedway!
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post

emphasis added...

isnt that a comment?
    I won’t comment on whether or not it’s a comment even though, at the moment it sounds like it.

Yep, not an attractive feature to have beams right in front of the windows to obscure them.

C2E SME

True, but I guess question is if those beams had to be there?
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

^ Probably had needed to be, not a great look none the less.

They were either there originally, or added to support the false front.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by K364 View Post
    They were either there originally, or added to support the false front.
    either way, with the angled non-continuous windows prevalent elsewhere, youíd think they could have done a better job hiding them/incorporating them in the wall construction...

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    Liking the windows, but those beams make it look like a pedway!
    That’s what it is isn’t it? Outer wall walkway.

They may become a non issue as other interior pieces and furnishings are put into place. Like most buildings, people will normally be looking inwards and only periodically looking outwards.

Also one needs to view the angled beams against the backdrop of the the angles on City Hall with its pyramidal roof. (Same goes for the angled windows - cladding on the exterior).

Now, if I were designing the re-cladding I might have instead mirrored the overall look of City Hall. Vertical front topped (maybe some similar pillars) with a backset sloped roof angled to match the angles on City Hall’s glass roof. Maybe steel with glass or glassed balconies inset into a copycat (aka “sympathetic complementary” hahaha ) pyramidal “form” ( aka shape). Possibly not peaked unless something could be used in the peak beside hearing cooling equipment, such as a conference room, meeting space, display area for events. Matching roof angles might have been tricky depending on distances the tower was from the streets on the east and west sides. In fact, the north face wall could have been mirrored to reflect back City Hall and Churchill Square.
    Last edited by KC; 21-11-2018 at 07:41 AM.

Did anyone figure out if that south-side cladding is final? I've seen some material on top of the west side so it might not be done yet. Here's hoping.

C2E Continued Contributor

Are you taking about the corrugated material? Iím almost 100 percent certain thatís not the final cladding because they said it would be a zinc exterior.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    Are you taking about the corrugated material? Iím almost 100 percent certain thatís not the final cladding because they said it would be a zinc exterior.
    yeah the upper grey material. Post #899 shows it well. Looks like they could fit something in between the sides maybe but I'm no expert.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Edmontonian108 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    yeah the upper grey material. Post #899 shows it well. Looks like they could fit something in between the sides maybe but I'm no expert.
    Yeah they usually use corrugated material underneath a final exterior cladding on buildings like this to help strengthen and reinforce it with added incentive of flexibility.

I doubt theyíre gonna leave it looking like a Quonset.

Fascinating that here with a public building, interested citizens can’t determine even such basics as the final cladding on the project. “You get what you get and you don’t get upset.”

Listened to part of this interview. Interesting. Mentions Fahrenheit 451, Carnegie’s donations of library buildings as long as the community promised support...

Susan Orlean on loving libraries — and burning books | CBC Radio

Listen to the full episode

In her new book, bestselling writer Susan Orlean moves from the intimacy of her childhood library to the devastating fire at the Los Angeles Central Library, which damaged or destroyed more than a million books. The Library Book is a compelling mix of history, biography, true crime and journalism — an ode to libraries, as well as a celebration of Orlean's relationship with her mother, who died before Orlean could finish writing the book.

It's Orlean's natural curiosity that makes her work so distinctive. From Rolling Stone to Vogue to The New Yorker — where she's been a staff writer for more than 25 years — she's earned a reputation for surprising...”

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/writersandc...ooks-1.4917820

Last edited by KC; 25-11-2018 at 07:22 PM.

C2E Long Term Contributor
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Oh look, they're putting lipstick on a pig.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

maybe if it were buried in a mountain so the outside was not visible...

Finished cladding is definitely that raised seam Grey barn siding. It comes with peel off plastic protection. Too bad.

Soon to be nicknamed "The Silo"
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Soon to be nicknamed "The Silo"
    Huh? Tall and cylindrical?

Easier to say than, "The grain bin"

Remember what was...

Edmonton's first public library building.

In the distance is the MacDonald Hotel and the box that it came with...
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 27-11-2018 at 08:28 AM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

C2E Long Term Contributor

What I do not get is that our many years working on winter city design guidelines suggesting warmer materials, not grey, and not metal seem to have been less than adhered to in this case.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

What I do not get is that our many years working on winter city design guidelines suggesting warmer materials, not grey, and not metal seem to have been less than adhered to in this case.
    i thought you were going to reserve comment until it was done?

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    i thought you were going to reserve comment until it was done?
    Ohhh its done alright

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    Finished cladding is definitely that raised seam Grey barn siding. It comes with peel off plastic protection. Too bad.
    Materials shouldn’t be typecast like that. Standing seam can be a great product and you’ll rarely see it on a barn. It’s like spruce vs walnut or cherry. Both the application and the value can vary dramatically with dramatically different appearances depending on how it’s applied.

Then there’s the quality of the product itself. I have two boathouses both roofed with standing seam metal. Neither even needed sheathing under the metal. Now zinc, copper or aluminum might be a far, far higher priced type of material that they could have used. Great looking but soft so all might be fine until a hail storm pounds the life out of them and dents the shingles or panels all to hell.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

The exterior would have been nicer, with the same material, if only they installed it with random widths of standing seam.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

https://www.architectural-review.com...cmcyejlXIn0%3D

"At all scales, varying in scope from nation to town, the public library is being framed globally as an emblem of hope and a symbol of cultural establishment. Recurring references demonstrate a shift from the pragmatic concerns of capacity that dominated the design agenda of the 1960s and economic preoccupations of the early public library movement. It is clearly the symbolic value of enabling the physical browsing of books that is celebrated today."

i am still hopeful for the interiors although that may have to continue to come from library operations and not its architecture.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910