Thread: Low Level Bridge - when is the next rehab?

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Low Level Bridge - when is the next rehab?

It's been 8 years since the northbound Low Level bridge was rehabbed, along with a widened paved sidewalk.

http://www.saskatoonheritage.ca/pdf/...n_Edmonton.pdf

I wonder when the southbound bridge will be next? I expect sometime after the new Walterdale is completed. At the very least I would love for that narrow clapboard sidewalk on the southbound bridge to be replaced.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E SME

It would be nice to see this bridge fixed up further although as mentioned I think that both the Walterdale and the pedestrian bridge replacement will have to be finished first.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

I finally get an answer via Paula Simons' latest column

Simons: Rusted, faded, and grey, our Low Level Bridge is due for a makeover
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Simon...432/story.html
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Grey, light it ^in yellow.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Paint it clear so we cannot see it anymore... LOL

Paula must have said "POP" a half dozen times.

Since when does a bridge have to be aesthetically pleasing to the tourists staying at the Hotel MacDonald? Manhattan has some butt ugly bridges but they get me to where I am going and New Yorkers don't get their undies in a knot over it.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Rather appropriate for the people who's knickers are in a twist of the minimla, muted color added to the Chateau Lacombe:

I’d never really paid much attention until I had a phone call a few weeks ago from a reader. He had been at a conference at the Shaw, proudly showing off our river valley to a visiting European expert. His visitor, said the reader, had been shocked Edmonton had so many grey, drab, and ugly s public buildings were. Why, he asked, didn’t we paint things or add a little more colour to our urban landscape? Why was everything here grey? My caller said he had been embarrassed, looking down from the Shaw’s deck to the peeling, rusting bridge below.

What color they paint it in is the least of my concerns. All I see a rusting bridge with a narrow clapboard sidewalk that is in dire need of the same work done on the east bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Rather appropriate for the people who's knickers are in a twist of the minimla, muted color added to the Chateau Lacombe:

I’d never really paid much attention until I had a phone call a few weeks ago from a reader. He had been at a conference at the Shaw, proudly showing off our river valley to a visiting European expert. His visitor, said the reader, had been shocked Edmonton had so many grey, drab, and ugly s public buildings were. Why, he asked, didn’t we paint things or add a little more colour to our urban landscape? Why was everything here grey? My caller said he had been embarrassed, looking down from the Shaw’s deck to the peeling, rusting bridge below.

Were they visiting from Wroclaw, Poland?

http://blog.edreams.com/13-places-we...-edreams-team/
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post

Yea yea, we should paint the bridge like a barber pole too!
    Edmonton can be the land of the candy cane structures.
    The problem isn't colour, it's completely the application...aka tacky.

^why are bright colors considered tacky, and beige, white, or dark, considered sophisticated? I never understood the hate some people have for color. Just because disney uses color doesn't mean the rest of us can't, and that cities have to be drab and grey / beige. I think low level would look pretty cool lit up in bright neon for example.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I drive over it everyday and cringe at the sight of it, it definitely needs to be repainted, the rust is beginning to be the main color lol. I would like to see a bright color or lit up like its big brother. Light the Bridge 2 anyone

C2E SME

I wonder if spraying de-icer on the bridge would work better in Winter (like AHD SW).
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^why are bright colors considered tacky, and beige, white, or dark, considered sophisticated? I never understood the hate some people have for color. Just because disney uses color doesn't mean the rest of us can't, and that cities have to be drab and grey / beige. I think low level would look pretty cool lit up in bright neon for example.
    Again, it's not the colour that is tacky, its how it is applied.

Colour is much more difficult to apply in an aesthetically appropriate manner. Just look at around...from residential through commercial and institutional. There is a reason why only a few buildings get big splashes and pallets of bold colours.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    I wonder if spraying de-icer on the bridge would work better in Winter (like AHD SW).
    Sadly they didn't use that system at all last winter. Spent a few million installing it only to have it sit and rust.

Bright red would be an interesting colour for this bridge...probably won't be to taste for a lot of people though.

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    Bright red would be an interesting colour for this bridge...probably won't be to taste for a lot of people though.
    Rust red?

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Sadly they didn't use that system at all last winter. Spent a few million installing it only to have it sit and rust.

I called it. Millions wasted right there.

Anyone with common sense could have seen that the system would cause refreeze on the incline on each side after the bridge, resulting in a slippery hill that trucks would have problems going up.

And that's exactly what has happened over the previous few winters with the system running.

The money they spent on it would have likely paid for all season deicing vehicles on the entire AHD network.

Anyhoo, back to topic, this bridge does need paint badly.

Having just driven across the NB Low Level, I noticed quite a bit of what appears to be rust stains. It's been 10 years since that rehab work.
    The SB Low Level is looking very horrible now.

It's a visual disgrace coming into and outbound from downtown. The rust is just unreal.
    I'm having people over later to stare at their phones,if you want to drop by

They should paint it a rust color!

http://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/l...dge-an-eyesore

The city has spent millions of dollars on the new funicular installation. I wonder if there will be any money left for repainting the awful Low Level Bridge rust below it. The rust eating the bridge is an embarrassing sight for tens of thousands of us crossing it daily.

Rudi Zacsko Sr., Edmonton
    100% agree

I wonder at what point does it become a structural issue rather than just an eyesore.

And would it just be cheaper to budget 1,2 or 5 year repainting cycles for all the bridges that need it (Low Level, High Level, Dawson) rather than waiting 10 or more years and having to do structural repairs for the rusted sections.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^^ The River Valley Alliance paid for most of the funicular, the COE paid a whopping $1.7 million of the $24 million project. Try again Rudi.....

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    I wonder at what point does it become a structural issue rather than just an eyesore.

And would it just be cheaper to budget 1,2 or 5 year repainting cycles for all the bridges that need it (Low Level, High Level, Dawson) rather than waiting 10 or more years and having to do structural repairs for the rusted sections.
    That means closing it for months and hoarding it in.
    They have to do a blasting to remove the rust and get to clean steel before it can be painted.
    The east side is holding up well, something clearly went wrong on the west side coating...

^ 10 years ago they did a full rehab of the east bridge c/w widened concrete sidewalk. It just needs some rustproofing and painting but it's fine otherwise.

The west bridge was not done 10 years ago and is way overdue for a similar rehab. Besides the rust and the narrow wooden walkway, the mismatched bridges side by side look rather silly.

My lord. How expensive can a simple truss low level bridge be. Just build a new one, or a high level bridge there.

Further remediation of an antiquated rusted out ugly bridge that is a sore point on nearly every river front photo of the DT and area?

Get rid of it. This looks like a bridge you would expect to see in Athabasca...

But its quite possible this is the ugliest bridge crossing of the North Saskatchewan River anywhere in its length. Although Edmonton region alone probably holds Gold, Silver and Bronze on that account..
    Last edited by Replacement; 28-06-2017 at 10:17 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

It's a historical resource. It's not going anywhere.

https://www.edmonton.ca/city_governm...-register.aspx
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

^^ these type of truss bridges are found in nearly every city including New York, Chicago, Montreal and Vancouver.

Not every bridge in Edmonton needs to be some fancy signature bridge that we spend hundreds of millions on and wait years for a substandard project.

Do I sound bitter???

Yes. dagnabit

Calgary also has a circa 1900's truss bridge...

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

the city should just donate both bridges as mural locations for next year's rust magic festival and ask rustoleum for sponsorship money in exchange for naming rights.

and no, this is not a sarcastic post, i'm actually serious about this one.

the condition of those bridges - the half done rehab 10 years ago notwithstanding - are an embarassment to the city whether you're coming or going.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

I would rather they rehabbed the SB bridge and extend the sidewalk as they did for the NB bridge 10 years ago. Seems like most of you are just content with putting lipstick on this pig.

Agree in full Ken. And these are incredibly prominent bridges in our cityscape. It boggles my mind that the city doesn't even discuss them amongst all other public objectives.

In some ways I do feel for the CoE administration. I can't think of a single bridge project that has been remotely successful.

Remember the Quesnell bridge and the major project schedule delays on one of Edmonton's most critical throughfares (Whitemud)?

Remember Groat Road bridge and the major project schedule delays and impacts of the partial structural collapse?

Remember the High Level Bridge and the major aesthetic/people flow impacts of the suicide barriers?

Remember Walterdale and the ongoing schedule delays and associated downgrading of project design components (Re: plate vs. welding)? Not to mention the associated schedule impacts to the River Valley Alliance led touch the water promenade project (and jeopardized federal funding commitments of this project).

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by millwoods View Post
    Agree in full Ken. And these are incredibly prominent bridges in our cityscape. It boggles my mind that the city doesn't even discuss them amongst all other public objectives.

In some ways I do feel for the CoE administration. I can't think of a single bridge project that has been remotely successful.

Remember the Quesnell bridge and the major project schedule delays on one of Edmonton's most critical throughfares (Whitemud)?

Remember Groat Road bridge and the major project schedule delays and impacts of the partial structural collapse?

Remember the High Level Bridge and the major aesthetic/people flow impacts of the suicide barriers?

Remember Walterdale and the ongoing schedule delays and associated downgrading of project design components (Re: plate vs. welding)? Not to mention the associated schedule impacts to the River Valley Alliance led touch the water promenade project (and jeopardized federal funding commitments of this project).
    there's too much agreement here - maybe we're not actually on a c2e thread after all?

the worst part of the whole low level bridge discussion is that painting a f'g bridge shouldn't be considered a major capital project. painting steel that's exposed to the elements should simply be something that gets done. hire someone for 10k a month for 4 months a year every year and have him start from one end and work his way to the other. and then when he gets there, have him start all over again.

it's not rocket scence - our bridges shouldn't be like lamp standards that get left until they rust out and need to be replaced before they fall over.
    Last edited by kcantor; 01-09-2017 at 08:13 AM. Reason: typo
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

^ More agreement here, too.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Now you've gone and done it,,by mentioning rusted lamp standards.
    I'm having people over later to stare at their phones,if you want to drop by

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Don't forget the Dawson bridge where they hired a contractor that did terrible work and then went bankrupt.

Or the Capilano bridge disaster from 15-20 years ago. What a clusterFbomb that was.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Don't forget the Dawson bridge where they hired a contractor that did terrible work and then went bankrupt.

Or the Capilano bridge disaster from 15-20 years ago. What a clusterFbomb that was.
    Not to stray too far off topic, but I wasn't in Edmonton during the Capilano bridge stuff. What happened there?

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Can't recall all the details as this was a long time ago but it was another project that was delayed significantly and there were issues with getting compensation from the contractor responsible for the rehab. I think this project may have been the catalyst for changing how the city dinged contractors financially for delays etc leading to the system we have in place today.

Capilano had a number or problems the ones I remember are, rainy weather might have been an issue too.
    1) The beams were rusted sufficiently more then the city estimated so the contractor had to do more work than expected
    2) They had a problem attaching the falsework to the beams, essentially no place to anchor it before pouring the deck

C2E SME

I remember Edmonton Transit complaining that they needed a bus route across the Capilano bridge during reconstruction. I'm sure that slowed down construction. The city could have closed the bridge for the summer.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Thanks all!