Thread: What kind of activities can we see along the North Saskatchewan River

C2E SME

Default What kind of activities can we see along the North Saskatchewan River

I noticed that nothing had been started for this whole section so I thought I'll get the ball rolling. With more and more starting to happen in the river valley I wonder what kind of permanent, semi permanent structures can and should be built to support more activity on the river?
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

C2E Long Term Contributor

A restaurant and bar good god please and thank you. More boat launches, more fishing docks, more interest in the sour dough.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Montreal craft beer bar that serves the bicycle path along the Lachine Canal.

http://mcauslan.com/en/

Note the decaying and abandoned silos in the background.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

www.decl.org

Some sort of bar. More than a beer gardens, less than a nightclub.

Pop Up Vendors (1 week licenses, think Kiosk but with homegrown/homemade/edmonton focus)
    FREE THE LOOPING .GIF MEMES
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

highlander

I'd love to see something like that in one of the Rossdale pumphouses right at the river's edge.

Also:

-Better Maintained paths for year-round use.

-More use of the Louise McKinney Park Stage.

-More Sea-wall type paths and right-at-the-river viewpoints, benches and picnic spots. The path along river Valley Road is great, but the river's right there and you can barely tell (at least in the summer)

-Dock and boat launch locations to encourage boating to places (canoe to heritage days?)

-More Locations like the spot along river valley road where the BC Fruit truck sits. With more food/refreshment options

-Make dining areas at golf course clubhouses (particularly the municipal ones) accessible and welcoming for walk-up/bike-up and other casual non-golfer users. The kitchen and fridge are already there, why not serve a wide market than just golfers?

I still am amazed that the Victoria GC is not a destination restaurant that is open year round. Beautiful setting.

Hawrelak should have a similar year round mid to mid upper dinning facility and small hall for weddings etc.
    www.decl.org

Water taxis, please.
    I would love to be able to go from Louise McKinney Park to Fort Edmonton Park, or to Hawrelak Park during Heritage Festival via water taxi.

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

More JETBOAT tours
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    More JETBOAT tours
    No,
    It’s bad enough with all the idiots that don't respect the human powered boast. We need to have a dedicated river patrol. Officers that actually know the navigable waters ways legislation.

But river taxis make sense. And more pub like gardens along the river to stop at.

I like the river valley the way it is, with little to no commerical development. Many other locations I can get a beer and great view of the city. I like the idea however of upgrading current locations such as golf courses to make them more 'public'.

Not sure of many locations along the river, where you would be able to directly see the river as most of the banks are tree lined to prevent erosion. I guess you could put something elevated to see over the trees, or high up on the banks but that likely loses its effect.

As for boat traffic - I have already noticed a huge increase this year in watercraft on the river. Yes more docks or landings might make this more appealing. For me - it was alwyas drilled into my head that the river is dangerous and dirty so stay away. I listened most times as a kid. I still wouldn't likely use it for boating or swimming, as I have other options, but I can understand most don't have options. Education and increased use will help lift this stigma.

What do we seriously do with a restaurant or a bar marooned hundreds of metres from anything else in winter?

There is no way this pays for itself more than 40 days a year.

Top of the Valley, absolutely. In the 'dales, fine. Already at the golf courses.

Otherwise, food trucks at most for the love of all things reasonable.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Quote Originally Posted by JJMorrocco View Post
    I like the river valley the way it is, with little to no commerical development. Many other locations I can get a beer and great view of the city. I like the idea however of upgrading current locations such as golf courses to make them more 'public'.

Not sure of many locations along the river, where you would be able to directly see the river as most of the banks are tree lined to prevent erosion. I guess you could put something elevated to see over the trees, or high up on the banks but that likely loses its effect.
    Let's get the Rossdale Plant site and the surrounding lower Rossdale land redeveloped for starters. That alone could provide all the riverfront wine & dine options we need at first. Then see what demand is generated.

Quote Originally Posted by JJMorrocco View Post
    As for boat traffic - I have already noticed a huge increase this year in watercraft on the river. Yes more docks or landings might make this more appealing. For me - it was alwyas drilled into my head that the river is dangerous and dirty so stay away. I listened most times as a kid. I still wouldn't likely use it for boating or swimming, as I have other options, but I can understand most don't have options. Education and increased use will help lift this stigma.
    That's the reason why I've always liked the idea of a Rossdale canal, or the lake at Blatchford. Then that allows for more year-round activities (beach, swimming, skating, etc) without most of the dangers presented by the river.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

As talked before, you could remodel Mill Creek Ravine Pool to more of a lodge or chalet. This is served by huge parking, Whyte ave ETS routes and road access. I was just sitting at the white metal eagle sculpture by the Muttart and always am disappointing it's not more like Mount Royal tam-tams... but then thought that with the LRT... the River Boat launch area and Louise McKinney could each receive some development for they are well connected all year. Unfortunately, the river valley is too far below the top banks and with little foot traffic or year-round access for all modes of transport.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Patios with beer. More development in central areas. Make it interesting in parts.

Also I'd really like to see some outdoor gyms that many cities have. There are already lots of people jogging and running up the stairs, a couple of outdoor gyms and stretching areas would be highly used if placed in key areas.
    Go down a few dark alleys.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Water taxis, please.
    I would love to be able to go from Louise McKinney Park to Fort Edmonton Park, or to Hawrelak Park during Heritage Festival via water taxi.

Yep, Also like the idea of amphibious duckboats which I think would work very well in out city and with our river valley. Imagine duckboats taking people to Hawrelak park, Heritage Festival, Folk Fest, up to Legislature, Shaw Conference Center, McKinney, Fort Edmonton, various landings etc. So much of the infrastructure that would facilitate this is already done. We just need a mode like this to connect the dots. Huge tourism potential I think.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    More JETBOAT tours
    No, not more of this, please.
    Last edited by Replacement; 14-05-2014 at 09:49 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    What do we seriously do with a restaurant or a bar marooned hundreds of metres from anything else in winter?

Top of the Valley, absolutely. In the 'dales, fine. Already at the golf courses.

What with Shaw Convention Center access the Louise McKinney area isn't so much marooned. Theres foot traffic(including moi) throughout that area all year long. Part of embracing winter is embracing winter. Bikes in summer, fatbike tires or showshoeing or hoofing it in winter. More people are doing this and more and more people commuting in this way from riverdale and across the footbridge.

This is a great way to access the downtown and that people are figuring out more and more.

A place offering hot beverages in the winter? That would rock. Something a little nicer though and adjunct to the current concrete bunker that looks like it was built with air raids in mind..
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Peecans
    - if only we could keep them clean

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post

What with Shaw Convention Center access the Louise McKinney area isn't so much marooned. Theres foot traffic(including moi) throughout that area all year long. Part of embracing winter is embracing winter. Bikes in summer, fatbike tires or showshoeing or hoofing it in winter. More people are doing this and more and more people commuting in this way from riverdale and across the footbridge.

This is a great way to access the downtown and that people are figuring out more and more.

A place offering hot beverages in the winter? That would rock. Something a little nicer though and adjunct to the current concrete bunker that looks like it was built with air raids in mind..
    Ha ha.

Honestly, I would expect something like: "Hi, I'm an investor. I'm not touching this unless you first build it to my specifications and guarantee my margins with tax dollars."

What could actually work is just over the footbridge in the base of the condos of Cloverdale. Same trail traffic, plus local traffic, plus Muttart and Muttart Station.

Much lower vandalism and maintenance concerns as well.
    Let's make Edmonton better.