Thread: Edmonton Grads - suitable commemorative?

Default Edmonton Grads - suitable commemorative?

Your thoughts please. Has Edmonton suitably commemorated the Edmonton Grads?

If not, what would you expect, what would you like to see?

Nursing grads? NAIT Grads? High school Grads? Kindergarden grads?

Heck, why don't we commerate people who got divorced while we are at it?

Or do you mean the womens basketball team?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonton_Grads

As nice a story as that is, I'd rather focus on things a bit more contemporary.

From Moa's link to the Edmonton Grads...

The Grads disbanded in 1940 after the outbreak of the Second World War. At that time, the team held 108 local, provincial, national and international titles and had been the undisputed world champions for 17 years in a row. Dr. James Naismith, the inventor of basketball, called the Grads the "finest basketball team that ever stepped out on a floor."(Hall, p. x)
    What an amazing record!

What a great inspiration for young athletes of both sexes.

Sure they should be celebrated and much more publicly
    a) To show young people what can be achieved
    b) Show Edmonton is about more than Hockey

History as much about inspiring the future as it is about celebrating the past.

In my highly biased personal opinion

C2E Hard Core Contributor

If they were an American team, there would have been a movie made about them.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Nursing grads? NAIT Grads? High school Grads? Kindergarden grads?

Heck, why don't we commerate people who got divorced while we are at it?

Or do you mean the womens basketball team?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonton_Grads

As nice a story as that is, I'd rather focus on things a bit more contemporary.
    W-O-W. I must have missed the subtle irony (or something) intended in this post.

Diss the only Canadian basketball team ever to have been Olympic champions (1936), albeit in what was then a demonstration sport?

Coached by J Percy Page?

Perhaps you could provide specifics of things more contemporary, not already well honoured that we have missed that are more worthy?

As mentioned, I'm sure there was some comedy or irony that I just missed in your post
    ... gobsmacked

C2E Long Term Contributor

Shouldn't this thread be in the Great Ideas section? Or is the OP already admitting this isn't a Great Idea?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Shouldn't this thread be in the Great Ideas section? Or is the OP already admitting this isn't a Great Idea?
    It's a very interesting mind you have there.
    Last edited by KC; 21-05-2014 at 05:12 PM.

C2E Continued Contributor

A basketball tournament in their honour seems appropriate: Edmonton Grads International

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    Diss the only Canadian basketball team ever to have been Olympic champions (1936), albeit in what was then a demonstration sport?
    I actually didn't know what the thread was about, it was very vague - I still aren't certain KC meant the basketball team. It seems most other people didn't either (the thread sat here at a post of one for a bit). I did a search, and found out about the basketball team. I wasn't dising them (as opposed to the lack of clarity as to what the thread was about). I do though wonder whether this makes sense to commerate now, presumably there have been various such in the past, but sure, its interesting.
    Last edited by moahunter; 21-05-2014 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    A basketball tournament in their honour seems appropriate: Edmonton Grads International
    That's really interesting. I don't follow basketball and had no idea that there was such an event. Is it an annual competition?

Couldn't tell you. I was on the Basketball Canada site buying tickets for it and saw the name on the poster. I'm trying to remember if the Journal referred to it as such when they wrote about the Brazilians coming to town.

In the day, the Edmonton Grads were legendary, and not just hereabouts. Their record, including against the best American teams was something, yes to this very day to behold. James Naismith himself acknowledged the Grads.

Crowds of over 5,000 at the Edmonton Gardens to watch the Grads were not unusual. They were even more popular than hockey. And they're in the Alberta Sports Hall of Fame (in Red Deer).

But that's not even half the story. They were embraced by fans as the Edmonton Grads, but in fact were the McDougall High School "Commercial Grads," girls streamed to be secretaries, but in whom J. Percy Page found something else - a competitive fire.

He did one more thing - I have a relative who was a Grad - J. Percy taught his team - the best ever women's basketball team - one of the best ever men's or women's - that the most important thing was sportsmanship. He taught citizenship over winning.

They won, and won, and kept on winning and those still alive are to this day outstanding citizens. If any team deserves recognition -the Grads do - not just for what they won - but for the people J. Percy demanded they be.
    Last edited by McBoo; 21-05-2014 at 11:06 PM.
    ... gobsmacked

Nice write up 'Boo. I hate basketball but appreciate the Grads, I remember first reading about them as a youngster and was floored. Mind you, this was the mid 80s in Edmonton...

There is a small park named after them in Westmount with a plaque and history.

https://goo.gl/maps/Hgkdd

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

That memorial is in baaaad shape. But the location is good. I haven't read it but here's a title from u of a press: http://www.uap.ualberta.ca/UAP.asp?lid=41&bookid=899

There are lots of photos and links via this site:
    Commercial Graduates Basketball Club

In 1914 J. Percy Page, a newly appointed teacher at the McDougall Commercial High School in Edmonton, Alberta began conducting physical education classes for the female students in the school. He set about teaching them basketball, ... and emerged victorious. At the end of that season, the team members decided that they wanted to continue playing the game after their graduation from high school. They formed the Commercial Graduates’ Basketball Team on June 15, 1915. Since the Commercial Graduates’ Basketball Team was made up of ex-students, however, it was barred from playing in school leagues. Therefore, in order to find suitable competition for regular season games the team played against men’s teams in their practice sessions. The Commercial Graduates’ Basketball Team or the Edmonton Grads as they became known, retained a close connection with McDougall Commercial High School. Practices were held at the school and ...From 1915 until 1940, the Edmonton Grads played 522 official games in Canada, the United States and in Europe, winning 502 and losing 20. They played their last game on June 5, 1940. Three decades later, on April 18, 1973 the Edmonton Grads were admitted to Edmonton’s Hall of Fame. A year later in April 1974, they were admitted to the Alberta Sports Hall of Fame.

https://hermis.alberta.ca/paa/Detail...bjectID=PR0285

the Grads ruled women's BASKETBALL from 1915 to 1940, winning 93% of their games and 49 out of a possible 51 domestic titles ...

In their 3 European tours the Grads won all 24 games they played. At the time of their retirement, the Grads held 108 titles at local, provincial, western, national, international and world levels.

Edmontonians regarded them proudly as representatives of the city, while eastern sportswriters hailed them as a national institution. Perhaps the finest compliment came from the inventor of basketball, Dr James NAISMITH, who called them "the finest basketball team that ever stepped out on a floor."

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.c...dmonton-grads/

The Grad’s reunited frequently both before and after Coach Page’s death in 1973. Eventually, the team even established a newsletter and appointed an archivist whose job it was to respond to media requests and keep track of Grads documents. Their legacy is documented in The Grads are Playing Tonight!” by M. Ann Hall, which I have reviewed for a forthcoming issue of the Sociology of Sports Journal.

Women’s sport generated a lot of excitement – among players and fans – during the 1930s. This era is sometimes known as the “Golden Age” of women’s sport in Canada. ...

http://jennyellison.com/the-edmonton...sketball-club/
    Last edited by KC; 30-12-2016 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 24karat View Post
    If they were an American team, there would have been a movie made about them.
    Shooting Stars Part 1

Shooting Stars Part 2

I remember this playing on the Spokane PBS station, mid-80s. It's an NFB film, so I assume it played on Canadian TV as well.

A good read:

New Heritage Minute pays tribute to the Grads, legendary women’s basketball team

THE CANADIAN PRESS, EDMONTON JOURNAL 03.08.2017

When they played their last game in 1940, the Grads had been national, North American and world champions for 17 years and following men’s rules — rather than the more restrictive “ladies’ rules” — for about as long. The women, who ranged from their late teens to their 40s, won 93 per cent of their games, making them the most successful sports team in Canadian history.

The club is once again in the spotlight, this time as the focus of the latest Heritage Minute — a 60-second film highlighting key moments in Canadian history — being released Wednesday.

MacBeth, the team’s lone surviving player, said the Grads, who at one point would be recognized by strangers on the streets of Edmonton, weren’t in it for the fame.

“It was a great life but there’s nothing like the fine points of the game — that’s a thrill,” the 95-year-old said in a recent interview in Toronto, where she now lives.

Releasing the short film on International Women’s Day was a deliberate choice, said Anthony Wilson-Smith, president and CEO of Historica Canada, which produces the Heritage Minutes.

“I do think that for young women or teenagers playing sports, here’s another set of role models to look at and say, ’Oh we’ve really been good for a long time,”’ he said. “This is a really uplifting story about a great achievement that some Canadians are very familiar with, primarily in Alberta, and a lot of Canadians don’t know more about and should.”

In the new video, set in 1923, the Grads challenge...

While basketball still holds a place in her heart — she can still do a layup — MacBeth said she’s disillusioned with the sport’s evolution.

“I haven’t really watched much this year really at all,” she said. “I really got fed up with the way they were playing so dirty. I just don’t think it’s a game. And they palm the ball all the time! It’s not the same.”

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...219/story.html