Thread: Good route discoveries

highlander

Default Good route discoveries

There are, here and there, lightly travelled routes that make good bike routes, but aren't where most cyclists will easily find them. If you discover one let us know here.

highlander

I discovered recently that petroleum way is a great route from Edmonton to Sherwood park. Access from the west is easy using the footbridge from rundown park to Strathcona science park, it's only a hundred meters or so on 17st from the park to petroleum way.

Petroleum way isn't the smoothest road, but it's lightly travelled outside of rush hour, there are only a few intersections and accesses, and there's a tunnel under the Henday which is awesome.

The east end connects to a multi-use trail near millennium place. The trail is new, but poorly designed, unfortunately. Signs ask cyclists to dismount at every big-box driveway, and there are lots.

I'd rather C2E than work!

On the southside, 97 St is a decent north-south bike route - wide enough to provide lots of room for cyclists and a flyover at Whitemud.
    Northside, there are unofficial bike lanes on 101 St during peak hours when parking is prohibited.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium48 View Post
    On the southside, 97 St is a decent north-south bike route - wide enough to provide lots of room for cyclists and a flyover at Whitemud.
    Northside, there are unofficial bike lanes on 101 St during peak hours when parking is prohibited.
    I used to use this one and particularly outside of business hours or on weekends a pretty good less used route to take. As you stated the road is so wide bikes shouldn't be a problem. Strange how little this route gets used.

But in recent years the completed multiuse pathway on east side of 91st is much more enjoyable, safer, and a bike path that works. From Millwoods there is a multiuse pathway all the way on 34Ave that connects with the 91st trail. The 91st trail of course connects with the Millcreek ravine bike trails just north of Argyll.
    My Millwoods to downtown route is to use Millwoods road east to 34AVE, then all the way to 91st, then to Millcreek ravine to Louise McKinney, then park bike at base of Shaw Conference Center(convenient commuter bike locks right there) and ride my funicular all the way up to Jasper Avenue. On a mountain bike I've done this route in 50 minutes from doorstep to downtown.
    At most I've seen 10 bikes parked there below SCC. Theres provision for around 50.
    Its a beautiful route and great way to get to the downtown.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Wish there was a better way to get across the train tracks in south central. Its argyll or whyte ave, neither of which are the best for cycling.
    Sask drive works, but that can be a bit of a detour as you then have to go down in to the valley and back up if going east. Or down whyte ave. Or through mill creek on gravel.

On either side of the tracks, 76 ave is a good east/west route.

I'd rather C2E than work!

^ 83 Av also crosses the tracks and is a better bike route than 82 Av (except during the Fringe). There are definitely limited crossings south of Whyte, and unfortunately not much can be done about it unless and until the CPR moves out of the area.

Riverbend Road is a nice bike ride for those in the south. I like to incorporate it in my long weekend rides sometimes.

Lots of nice country roads down to Devon as well which are perfect for a morning bike ride...