Thread: Great season at the Citadel.

Default Great season at the Citadel.

Once more very pleased with the seasons ticket offerings at the Citadel theatre.

All plays were solid and topped off last night with the World Premiere run of "Make mine love" a fun bit of nostalgic Hollywood slapstick.

Of the shows this year these imo were the best;

Long Days journey into night-Fantastic production of a great play. Captured it well in a lengthy production that engaged for hours. Evoked Willy Loman type best ever theatre moments.

Clyborne park- Really made one think about subtle prejudice, and as advertised some squirming moments and squeals at the topic matter through the decades.

Marry Poppins- I'm a guy, so no I never got into this as a kid. But the production and performance on this was sublime. One got the feeling of West End level of acting and production. Just ridiculously good.

Make Mine Love- Good time, all emotions encompassed, nostalgia invoked, great leading lady performance, good production value. check check check.

I was less impressed with Romeo and Juliet which was more of an amateur level production imo. The set was good, the acting really wasn't. With apologies to the actors that actually had extensive lines and fared well. Several of the actors in the production were essentially no lines stage props. This afairc was the Banff school of fine arts production cast. I've seen previous incarnations that impressed. This one was weaker. Didn't engage. The only play all year where some people(small amount) walked out at intermission and didn't return to seats. (Something that I would never condone, its live theatre, don't do that to the performers)

2P4H was more musical oriented, and with musical type humor than I was into although have to say I enjoyed it anyway. Splendid acting in anycase from two accomplished professionals. tbh I was worried how it would convey as I'm musically illiterate. The musical notation humor was conveyed better than expected.

So 6 plays, all great value, and much moreso than any Oiler game I went to this year. In fact I would rate my user experience of 3 of the Citadel plays as greater entertainment value than any of the SUM of the 6 Oiler games I attended and for a fraction of the price. Also one can detect I intentionally booked six plays, six Oiler games this season in which to make a user comparison. Citadel seats have been renewed, Oilers tickets won't be. Every single aspect of user experience being poor at Oiler games.

I bring up the latter because I rarely hear anything said about the Citadel season series here. It deserves to be talked about. Packed houses of pleased patrons and thunderous applause after every show. Standing ovations being common. If you aren't checking out Citadel Seasons tickets or haven't thought about it you should.

http://www.citadeltheatre.com/new-season/

Interested in anycase in other patrons reviews, experiences, etc. and in supporting this quality entertainment.

Still a little perplexed with the Rapid fire theater though. Last night for instance at the intermission in the Shoctor show, and being one of the first ones out of the theater, only to find the bar service lines already lined up 20deep with patrons from Rapid fire downstairs. Don't they have bar service downstairs for that theater? That's a less than ideal arrangement to have two theaters lined up for what is only two bartenders. I'm thinking that nobody at the Theater thinks that Rapid Fire patrons will come upstairs for the better Shoctor drink selection but of course they do. Better planning/coordination needs to occur around bar availability, intermission timing, etc. No reason to have same intermission times.
    Last edited by Replacement; 24-05-2014 at 11:58 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Agree this was the best season in the several that my spouse and I have had Citadel season tickets. With a group of 4 other friends, we've renewed our tickets for next season.

Make Mine Love was a hoot. The car chase through the streets of 1938 New York was very original in my experience of live theatre. Written by Edmontonian Tom Wood. World premiere at the Citadel. Being performed until June 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    So 6 plays, all great value, and much moreso than any Oiler game I went to this year. In fact I would rate my user experience of 3 of the Citadel plays as greater entertainment value than any of the SUM of the 6 Oiler games I attended and for a fraction of the price. Also one can detect I intentionally booked six plays, six Oiler games this season in which to make a user comparison. Citadel seats have been renewed, Oilers tickets won't be. Every single aspect of user experience being poor at Oiler games.
    My spouse and I, even our sons could not concur more. I might add the ESO season for 2014/15 looks quite decent as well. I doubt if we'll be budgeting for any dosh for Oilers games.

I bring up the latter because I rarely hear anything said about the Citadel season series here. It deserves to be talked about. Packed houses of pleased patrons and thunderous applause after every show. Standing ovations being common. If you aren't checking out Citadel Seasons tickets or haven't thought about it you should.
    Yes, the Citadel has been a cultural jewel for decades in Edmonton, one of the finest theatre companies in Canada by a nautical mile.

Still a little perplexed with the Rapid fire theatre though. Better planning/coordination needs to occur around bar availability, intermission timing, etc. No reason to have same intermission times.
    Concurrence again, The Citadel needs to accommodate their patrons or vice versa. My spouse and I have attended Rapid shows a few times, fun and somewhat boisterous with the occasional whiff of cannabis. Overall better co-ordination would be desirable in our view.

Definitely The Citadel has been a pillar of the cultural life of Western Canada since the Hole endowment, but indeed this past season they have truly lived up to their promise, that by cutting the Rice series they could focus more on their big shows, from the script-on-out.

We are indeed lucky for it.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

After taking in Mary Poppins and Make Mine Love this season and thoroughly enjoying them, my wife and I considered season tickets for next season but passed. The line-up of plays may be strong (according to Liz Nicholls anyway) but aside from Arcadia, there just wasn't enough there that appealed to us.

Wanted to thank all for the responses and hearing others that are similarly pleased with what has been outstanding entertainment. Very affordable as well and I continue to be amazed at respective prices of live theater vs something like pro sports.

Specific to Esk Fan, and anybody else viewing and wondering whether to buy I've had similar feelings over the years that a play or a few in a lineup may not move me. But have to say my consistent response is that even the plays that I don't think will work for me usually end up grabbing me. In fact over the last few years theres been some "I'm not sure about this play" moments but these usually being quelled in the first 20minutes. There isn't one play that by intermission didn't capture my interest. There isn't one where I felt "that's 2hrs in my life I'm not getting back" Theres been plenty of Oiler games where I felt that way. Eskimos games as well unfortunately.

So I read more about and researched the fare for next year and I'm thinking its a better season than what might appear to be first impression. Encourage people that aren't buying to reconsider. This is a great theatre house banging em out consistently. They've got my trust. I don't mind that they are expanding me to some new horizons either.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Just a separate comment on what I observe from Patrons. One of the main differences between theater entertainment and say going to a hockey game is that people in a theater won't be rude, won't spill something on you, aren't getting up out of their seats all the time (not permitted) are not talking or braying the whole time, and are not standing up or leaning forward throughout the play blocking your view, nobody kicking the back of your seat the whole time and wide aisles that allow you to get to seats comfortably and stretch legs comfortably.

Next, theres no TV timeouts, , no 9 dollar beer, no awful concessions food, no 12dollar parking (Its 5 bucks for evening parking)

For somebody frustrated with behavior at Oiler games all of this is a breath of fresh air.

On a separate topic one thing I am curious about is the exodus to the parking postplay. This is May, good weather, nice evenings, Friday, and its still the quick exodus to the parking after the play and get out of the area as quickly as possible. I mention this because its the thing that is often observed in Edmonton audiences be it downtown, or at Rexall. People quickly leaving an event. The whole downtown arena revitalization thing assumes that people will spend, partake, be patrons of surrounding business before/after events. I'm really not seeing that behavior from Edmontonians and haven't. Edmontonians are hard working people, long hours, and often seem in a rush. Will behavior change with a new arena? I would think if anything a theatre crowd would be more interested to engage in urban pre/post play activity. Its not really that way. I'm consistently seeing audiences quickly leaving.
    Last edited by Replacement; 26-05-2014 at 12:11 PM.

I had tickets to Clyborne Park and Mary Poppins. Loved Clyborne Park, absolutely loved the production of Mary Poppins. Always impressed with most Citadel productions.
    www.decl.org

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^^Our group of 6 usually gets together to eat Downtown before a Citadel play, but not after. Too late, at least for our group of baby boomers.

In the most recent season, we've eaten several times at Normand's right in the Citadel. Very convenient, reasonably priced, and the best chicken pot pie in town. Love their shrimp pizza as well.

Speaking of the plays, several were really good but Clybourne Park was the best this season.

Default leaving early

The odd occasion when we'll go for dinner it's always beforehand either at the Bistro Praha or Normand's. Also if either of us wants a beer or a glass of wine, again it's always beforehand never after. If the boy's are with us it's an early night regardless.

Replacements observations are bang-on. We've often noticed terribly quick exits from both the Citadel and Winspear, the latter with folks frequently leaving before the artists are even done performing which is a tad rude; however, some likely have to drive back to the Fort or Stony; snowy icy roads even more-so.

Interesting info on the performances at the Citadel Theatre - thanks everyone! I should keep an eye open for other interesting shows in the future.

Talking about live theatre, anyone been along to the peformances at the Varscona Theatre by Teatro La Quindicina? I have enjoyed plays here over the last season or two, and the new season is about to start up again:

http://www.teatroq.com/Teatro/Teatro_La_Quindicina.html

Thread bump needed. Another excellent season at the Citadel humming along.

Boom was decent but as a one man stage show it needs to be perfectly executed and wasn't imo. Visuals needed to offer better backdrop and story needed to be a bit more in sync. Really the sub characterizations were often just strange and the production did not come off and in the end only a rehasing of history we all know about anyway.

But on to Evangeline.

Wow, incredible. A production and performance for the ages. Already considered the "can't possibly be topped' production of the season here and likely the best play anybody see's in Edmonton this year.

Rather than give much synopsis, which is only spoiler I'll just mention that if you are a theater lover at all in Edmonton you will miss out if you don't see this play. Only 1 week left in the run, go out to see it. Anybody that isn't moved by this production either doesn't comprehend love or dead to it.

Blows Romeo and Juliet out of the water either as a story or a production here.

Among the topten plays I've ever seen in my lifetime. This is one that will be talked about through the history of the Citadel and was considered the top production of the Citadels 50th season.

Speaking of which this is a timely year to be supporting the Citadel and the legacy its bestowed on this city from humble beginnings. Theres odes to that history in the upstairs lobby.

Went and saw another fantastic Rapid Fire Theatre Sports last night, and the Citadel was absolutely packed. Only complaint was that, again, about 100 parking meters in the area were blocked off for what appeared to be no real purpose. The City really doesn't want people downtown, does it?
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Went and saw another fantastic Rapid Fire Theatre Sports last night, and the Citadel was absolutely packed. Only complaint was that, again, about 100 parking meters in the area were blocked off for what appeared to be no real purpose. The City really doesn't want people downtown, does it?
    To be clearer you'd note that it wasn't the parking meters themselves blocked off but complete roadways to facilitate setup and implementation of the Christmas lights celebration at Churchill today. Not sure how you didn't catch that or how its any problem.

Underground monitored parking is available for 5bucks for the whole night right below Citadel theater. How would anybody not be parking there?

Its also possible that in some areas what you saw is the refitting of parking meters still in progress. not sure about the latter as I don't which stalls you were speaking of.

The bolded assertion in this instance is unwarranted.
    Last edited by Replacement; 14-11-2015 at 10:46 PM.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Thank you for supporting Rapid Fire improv and local talent. Those young kids are a real gem!
    Imagine: a world free of hypothetical situations!

To be clearer you'd note that it wasn't the parking meters themselves blocked off but complete roadways to facilitate setup and implementation of the Christmas lights celebration at Churchill today. Not sure how you didn't catch that or how its any problem.

Underground monitored parking is available for 5bucks for the whole night right below Citadel theater. How would anybody not be parking there?

Its also possible that in some areas what you saw is the refitting of parking meters still in progress. not sure about the latter as I don't which stalls you were speaking of.

Free is better than $5, and the library parkade was nearly full anyway. With all the new stuff going up, arbitrarily reduced capacity does us no favours. I sure hope the city has a real parking strategy in place when the arena opens... a parking app, electronic signage with availability, pricing posted at street level, etc. otherwise it's going to be gridlock while people drive around trying to figure out where to park while avoiding getting their wallet raped.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Free is better than $5, and the library parkade was nearly full anyway. With all the new stuff going up, arbitrarily reduced capacity does us no favours. I sure hope the city has a real parking strategy in place when the arena opens... a parking app, electronic signage with availability, pricing posted at street level, etc. otherwise it's going to be gridlock while people drive around trying to figure out where to park while avoiding getting their wallet raped.
    5 bucks for evening parking? C'mon, that's nothing. I've never seen the Library parkade completely fill in evenings either. Even when Shaw, Citadel, Winspear ALL have events going on.

Still not sure which meters you are referring to being not in use.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Five bucks for underground parking is a good deal.
    Imagine: a world free of hypothetical situations!

Quote Originally Posted by reservoircat View Post
    Of course it is. Chmilz in this instance just got on a roll and isn't backing off his pov. The same guy thinks nothing of dropping 100bucks in a fine restaurant the same night. But 5 bucks for downtown parking in a major city and its "getting wallet raped"... (his words)

I think he just felt like a rant. I understand how that goes.

I'd rather C2E than work!

We loved Evangeline, what a performance that is. They liken it to Les Mis, and they are not wrong. Wonderful voices, I just love the Citadel $5.00 for parking is nothing, especially when its -20 or lower and the car is kept warm. We have had seasons tickets for years, I cant possibly give up our wonderful seats now, I shall have to will them..

i finally want to get down to the Citadel this Christmas and see Scrooge! i have been wanting to see it for years and never made it.

Quote Originally Posted by MetroEd View Post
    i finally want to get down to the Citadel this Christmas and see Scrooge! i have been wanting to see it for years and never made it.
    Its very well done isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by reservoircat View Post
    Of course it is. Chmilz in this instance just got on a roll and isn't backing off his pov. The same guy thinks nothing of dropping 100bucks in a fine restaurant the same night. But 5 bucks for downtown parking in a major city and its "getting wallet raped"... (his words)

I think he just felt like a rant. I understand how that goes.
    I don't mind paying $5 for parking. However, the city is preaching a lot about all the parking available once the arena opens. Almost all the street parking east of 104 St is closed every night, which is concerning. That parking helps keep parkade pricing in check. If the meters are always closed, parkade prices will inevitably go up (supply/demand).

So yeah, I'm annoyed at paying $5 when the city spent millions to create parking that is normally free after 6pm, but is taken away. Street parking is also convenient. And holistic. We all complain about stores not being open after 6. Very few will pay for a parkade two blocks away from a store they want to hop into for 5 minutes. Folks don't always make an evening out of stopping dowtown. If there's no street parking, our downtown is just a bunch of arterials, with no reason to pull over and shop at the stores. I don't think that's what anyone is envisioning.

highlander

Got tickets for Evangeline this saturday, we're really looking forward to it. Would have missed it without Replacement's post (Thanks!) after I misread the date on a two-weeks-stale journal review and thought that it was just opening.

Looking to go to the Christmas Carol again, too. Saw it probably a decade ago, thoroughly enjoyed it, now have kids who would enjoy it too.

Regarding parking, I like to park a little further away on the surface so I can enjoy the arrival a little more. Underground right there is convenient but takes away from the outing. As more and more traffic is removed from around Churchill Square I'm sure I'll enjoy the surface approach even more.
    Last edited by highlander; 19-11-2015 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Got tickets for Evangeline this saturday, we're really looking forward to it. Would have missed it without Replacement's post (Thanks!) after I misread the date on a two-weeks-stale journal review and thought that it was just opening.

Looking to go to the Christmas Carol again, too. Saw it probably a decade ago, thoroughly enjoyed it, now have kids who would enjoy it too.

Regarding parking, I like to park a little further away on the surface so I can enjoy the arrival a little more. Underground right there is convenient but takes away from the outing. As more and more traffic is removed from around Churchill Square I'm sure I'll enjoy the surface approach even more.
    Good luck with finding parking, we have tried to park a few times, but we go on a Saturday, and its always full. So we just had for the parkade..

heh, we park in the parkade and then go and roam around the neighborhood downtown. I usually get to the play just after 5. (just when parking starts to be 5 bucks for the evening) and then head out for dinner or looking around somewhere. We often go elsewhere after the play as well. Figure we're making the effort to go downtown so see some sites as well.

As for the play I strongly recommend looking at this and clicking on the enrichment guide. This play spans some 40yrs and a lot of subplot and story backdrop so good to get somewhat acquainted. I always find its easier to follow along without missing anything if I read up on the play.

http://www.citadeltheatre.com/show/evangeline/

Also this is a long play. 1.5hrs until first intermission, then over an hour after that. It'll run from about 7:30-10:30. Not for weak bladders.

Hope you enjoy the play as much as we did.

Quote Originally Posted by hello lady View Post

Good luck with finding parking, we have tried to park a few times, but we go on a Saturday, and its always full. So we just had for the parkade..
    I love that our Seasons seats are Friday night. This way we are arriving downtown when most people are travelling in the opposite direction. Plus a nice way to start the weekend. Although I never feel like working too much on those Fridays. Maybe I'm starting the weekends on Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by hello lady View Post

I love that our Seasons seats are Friday night. This way we are arriving downtown when most people are travelling in the opposite direction. Plus a nice way to start the weekend. Although I never feel like working too much on those Fridays. Maybe I'm starting the weekends on Thursday.

We have the Winspear most Fridays, either day is great

Another good season at the Citadel moving along.

Curious incident was a solid play to start the season and a nice start for the new director.

Million Dollar Quartet was enjoyable. Pleased with the production. Enjoy all kinds of music and old enough to remember some of this stuff still being played.
    I thought they got the Carl Perkins/Elvis dynamic about right. Perkins was the one who should have got much more credit, fame, and who innovated and wrote a lot of the beloved catalog people come to know from other artists. Jerry Lee Lewis acting was good, captured the straight across confidence and forward nature of the entertainer.
    Unfortunately, and I say this because this is supposed to be a rock and roll show, is it got caught up in a lot of early Johnny Cash catalog and the actor playing Cash did not invoke in any way to me the actual artist. By no means do I require somebody to look like the character they are playing but at least resemble him in action, something. About the only thing he had was carrying his guitar behind his back when not playing. At no point did we get Johnny Cash from this and would have preferred to hear more Perkins, Elvis, Jerry Lee, than the Cash material played. The combination of the actor playing Cash being the least convincing, and that he was the focal point lead for many songs compromised what would otherwise be unforgettable.
    Have to say that even the background musicians, Bass player, drummer, and the backup singer rose above the Cash portrayal in the production. Which is odd because Cash, Elvis, Jerry Lee are probably the easiest to capture and so many landmark performance quirks you can throw in.

Anyway one more day in the holdover production. I recommend it despite the Cash drawback. Tickets seem to be available. I think today is last day.

A special shout out to Vanessa Sears who was incredible in the production in what would otherwise be a back up supporting role. To me she stole the show and evoked the time as much as anybody. She was a constant scene stealer deserving more of a role and hopefully she's getting that and will return to the Citadel sometime. Everything about her performance, singing, was quite amazing and a standout performance that rose above her colleagues. The actor playing Carl Perkins also did well.

btw anybody watching Kims Convenience Store on CBC? Its a decent production, some of the same actors as it had at the Citadel in its run, and captures the play pretty much and works from that. I kind of like Canadian sitcom. Less polished than American productions and more of a down home feel to it. Even manages to evoke some Canadian Korean Archie Bunker if not Korean King of Kensington.
    Last edited by Replacement; 19-11-2016 at 09:13 AM.

Man this board sometimes. This is about C2E "connecting" with all good things in Edmonton and furthering that, talking about it, and getting people to know whats going on. Yet the board too busy arguing about stoplights, school zones, zoning bylaws, middle East politics and what kind of Fritos you like to talk much about what is seemingly a purpose of the board.

That's it, you all get the dead parrot sketch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vuW6tQ0218

"Pining for the fiords" haha
    Last edited by Replacement; 22-11-2016 at 07:25 AM.

Not sure what you were expecting. There's like 30 active posters on the forum & 2/3 of them post in a narrow niche of topics that they most identify with. Turns out there's not a lot of people who go to the Citadel & post on C2E. No need to get on your soapbox.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Not sure what you were expecting. There's like 30 active posters on the forum & 2/3 of them post in a narrow niche of topics that they most identify with. Turns out there's not a lot of people who go to the Citadel & post on C2E. No need to get on your soapbox.
    Obviously jk around but yeah, this board is dead. Even moreso since the board had the fund me campaign.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Or it could be that most people have Replacement on their Ignore lists for being one of the biggest negative nellies on this board.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

People living in glass houses shouldn't throw stones Monkey. You're hardly a bastion of posting perfection in between your bouts of being the forum's hall monitor, chiding people for going off on a relevant tangent for more than a post or two.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Man this board sometimes. This is about C2E "connecting" with all good things in Edmonton and furthering that, talking about it, and getting people to know whats going on. Yet the board too busy arguing about stoplights, school zones, zoning bylaws, middle East politics and what kind of Fritos you like to talk much about what is seemingly a purpose of the board.

I don't get it. What brought this on? I do wish more people knew what was going on in the city, but what's wrong with c2e's extensive discussions on other subject matter?

I don't have much to say about the Citadel but I'm glad it's there. In fact my aunts and uncles, my own parents, and even some cousins all have there names up in various places (bricks, plaques, boards of directors, and more) all around the theatre for various levels of support and involvement in the theatre over the decades.

In terms of promoting it, I would like to see a thread on the Foote Theatre School (which we've used and got other family members to use.) Actually, this is the first year in a number of years that we're not down at FTS on a weekly basis. However, with c2e's rather limited community exposure I wouldn't expect much uptake from such a thread.

I do think Sonic is a bit off in suggesting c2e participants aren't going to the Citadel. I bet the diversity of interests and activities among those on c2e would surprise a lot of people. We don't all post on everything we do.

BTW, Replacement, you like Fritos? I've never touched them. What would you recommend?
    Last edited by KC; 22-11-2016 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

I don't get it. What brought this on? I do wish more people knew what was going on in the city, but what's wrong with c2e's extensive discussions on other subject matter?

I don't have much to say about the Citadel but I'm glad it's there. In fact my aunts and uncles, my own parents, and even some cousins all have there names up in various places (bricks, plaques, boards of directors, and more) all around the theatre for various levels of support and involvement in the theatre over the decades.

In terms of promoting it, I would like to see a thread on the Foote Theatre School (which we've used and got other family members to use.) Actually, this is the first year in a number of years that we're not down at FTS on a weekly basis. However, with c2e's rather limited community exposure I wouldn't expect much uptake from such a thread.

I do think Sonic is a bit off in suggesting c2e participants aren't going to the Citadel. I bet the diversity of interests and activities among those on c2e would surprise a lot of people. We don't all post on everything we do.

BTW, Replacement, you like Fritos? I've never touched them. What would you recommend?
    The post was tongue and cheek, obviously, and maybe I don't understand the nature of the board, and never have, but the name infers connection with Edmonton. Yet the board posting veers pretty much to certain themes. For instance 200,000 posts on Real estate and development. By far the most posting of any topic on this board. The reason for that I believe is the existence of Skyscraper forum and topic and posting carry over from that board in many cases by the same posters posting duplicate information on both boards. Dynamically that also makes up the most posting on this board. Similarly the same fixations with road infrastructure, transit infrastructure, and airport flights exist here. So that rather than interests, and elucidating things that might differentiate Edmonton from other burgs, or that feature appealing attractions or things to do here most of the posts here are about development applications, zoning bylaws, deviations, road construction, airport traffic and the like. That is when wholescale knockdown drag out discussions are not occurring on any level of politics here or around the world.

I always approach a board from the perspective of what one glancing at it would think. For instance if one came here attempting to gleam info on what to do here and where to go they would be inundated with other information and then seek out things to do and see info elsewhere. Which is kind of sad. Similarly if one was interested in learning about things to do Downtown, or in other areas of the city they would be harder to find here and with not too much current discussion on any general or specific interest things.

But think about it. In the whole history of this board only 10K posts in the Edmonton Rave section. With that 10K only being reached very recently. Again on a board with 200K posts about Real Estate Development, with another 55K posts about mass transit infrastructure, 38K posts about road infrastructure. Over 4times as many rant posts on this board (yes I've inhabited both sections). So that around 1% of posts ever made on this board have been on rave topics. Similarly if someone was interested in Edmonton only 6K posts about Edmontons history and heritage have occurred on that page. In short if someone was wanting to find out much of any general interest information about Edmonton this would be a poor source for that.

If this was intended as an Edmonton specific general interest board or Connect with Edmonton general discussion board it seems very much that its been co-opted.
    Last edited by Replacement; 22-11-2016 at 02:16 PM.

One post of a building render results in 12 posts from armchair architects that think anyone cares what their opinion is about a picture. On things that require getting off one's *ss and going outside into Edmonton, not so much.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    One post of a building render results in 12 posts from armchair architects that think anyone cares what their opinion is about a picture. On things that require getting off one's *ss and going outside into Edmonton, not so much.
    That's the nature of information on this types of forums, I'd say, in comparison to forum geared towards one's activities. I attended an event on the weekend at the Saville. It was packed and the parking lot was overflowing. No need to promote it and where would one? Under Raves?

If we created neighbourhood specific forums, and activity specific forums, or infrastructure specific forums, then I'd expect them to get a lot more attention, more like a real estate forum which begets real estate talk.
    Last edited by KC; 22-11-2016 at 05:54 PM.

Exactly. Theres hardly any discussion of Edmonton experiences on the board. When there is half of it is what IanO has for breakfast, lunch, and dinner over the years.

That's the nature of information on this types of forums, I'd say, in comparison to forum geared towards one's activities. I attended an event on the weekend at the Saville. It was packed and the parking lot was overflowing. No need to promote it and where would one? Under Raves?

If we created neighbourhood specific forums, and activity specific forums, or infrastructure specific forums, then I'd expect them to get a lot more attention, more like a real estate forum which begets real estate talk.
    Even hfboards, which is a cesspool in comparison, has a what restaurants to go to thread before games. often has threads on recommendations for out of towners, hotel threads, visitor threads etc. With that hardly being the topic of a hockey board but it being covered nonetheless. I daresay theres more current information there on where to eat around the Arena than there is here. Nor has a thread on that topic been started here. Its damned forum failure when a hockey board offers more information about Edmonton than a forum purported to be about just that. Today as I was posting there were 150 people online here. 70 of those were online in the Real Estate thread. Almost 50% of the traffic all in one isolated part of the board. Nor does that seem to be atypical use or viewing.

Maybe while the downtown is "revitalizing" we could wish for some similar transformation here and beyond it being just the board for a dozen or so people to kick the Real Estate/Development football around.
    Last edited by Replacement; 22-11-2016 at 06:38 PM.

I didn't realize you didn't have the ability to start new threads Replacement. I mean, what other reason could there be for you taking more effort to lament the non-existence of certain threads or discussions than it would take to start said threads/discussions?

Maybe while you're busy kvetching you can be the change you want to see in the world, rather than just a negative nelly?

I didn't realize you didn't have the ability to start new threads Replacement. I mean, what other reason could there be for you taking more effort to lament the non-existence of certain threads or discussions than it would take to start said threads/discussions?

Maybe while you're busy kvetching you can be the change you want to see in the world, rather than just a negative nelly?
    I was in a discussion here multiple times with posters re a thread idea about what to do before and after for attendees of Rogers place events. Multiple posters expressed an interest in starting such a thread. No one did. I specifically stated then, and I do now, that it should be somebody living in the downtown and familiar with the downtown that should start and curate such a thread. Wouldn't make much sense for me to do it as I get downtown about once every 2nd week these days.

But curious point anyway, don't you agree, for you to call me out on this on this thread, that I started.

I've been going to the Citadel for years and with STH I see almost all the productions. So I can at least do some justice to a thread on the Citadel here. Theres not much else downtown where I would have a lot of input regarding what to see, user experiences etc.
    Last edited by Replacement; 23-11-2016 at 09:07 AM.

Build the threads and they shall come.

Though I'd prefer some permanent forum - sub forum links for different operating city attractions.

Similar to the politics forums (below).

Maybe Edmonton attractions (major)

Arena
    Citadel
    Ft. Edmonton Park
    stadium

Zoo

Municipal Politics (Edmonton)(7 Viewing)
    All City of Edmonton political discussions happen here
    Sub-Forums: Ward 1 Rumours, Candidates, and Issues,
    Ward 2 Rumours, Candidates, and Issues,
    Ward 3 Rumours, Candidates, and Issues,
    Ward 4 Rumours, Candidates, and Issues,
    Ward 5 Rumours, Candidates, and Issues,
    Ward 6 Rumours, Candidates, and Issues,
    Ward 7 Rumours, Candidates, and Issues,
    Ward 8 Rumours, Candidates, and Issues,
    Ward 9 Rumours, Candidates, and Issues,
    Ward 10 Rumours, Candidates, and Issues,
    Ward 11 Rumours, Candidates, and Issues,
    Ward 12 Rumours, Candidates, and Issues,
    The Race for the Mayor's Chair
    View this forum's RSS feed
    Subscribe to This Forum
    Threads: 538
    Edmonton Marijuana... Go to last post
    by Chmilz
    03-11-2016, 03:43 PM

Regional Politics(2 Viewing)
    This is for discussion on specific NON EDMONTON issues for each county and municipality in the region. If there is enough interest, I will further delineate more categories.

Sub-Forums:
    St Albert Political Discussions,
    Sherwood Park/County of Strathcona Political Discussions,
    Fort Saskatchewan Political Discussions,
    Spruce Grove Political Discussions,
    Stony Plain Political Discussions,
    City of Leduc Political Discussions,
    County of Leduc Political Discussions,
    County of Sturgeon Political Discussions,
    Parkland County Political Discussions
    Last edited by KC; 23-11-2016 at 09:15 AM.

^

Should it read like this:

Thread title; Who knows what to do in Edmonton before and after Rogers events. Anybody? hello?

Hi, suburbanite here. I know next to nothing about what to do downtown in evenings, most times I find the place closed but I'm sure there's stuff..

I just figured I should start this thread.

I know nothing about Nuclear fission either, that will be my next thread start

peace out..

jk aside though I actually haven't been able to start threads since the forum moved to this site. I am only able to use the most basic in functions here through "standard editor" or else nothing updates, posts don't get submitted, pages freeze and lock etc. This was addressed in the appropriate section.
    Last edited by Replacement; 23-11-2016 at 09:19 AM.

Well, looks like I am the intrepid, unofficial, C2E Citadel theater reviewer.

Went to Disgraced last night. We were fully prepared for the mental gymnastics we knew the play to be about (the Enrichment guides offered by the Citadel online are fantastic tutorials) and that it featured a very complex look at subtle and overt prejudice in relation to perceptions of Muslims, Jews, Christians etc.

http://www.citadeltheatre.com/show/disgraced/

In preparation we, like seemingly like most of the audience knew enough not to have any alcohol prior to this show and to see it totally sober. The bar sales must have been the lowest ever. Indeed it seemed off to us to experience this production while imbibing. Being that it was sure to be a completely sobering experience.

We weren't disappointed. The performance was a tour de force that left audience members shocked with jaws hanging. So many turns, so much building, weaving, interplay in an 80minute production where all the ends came together in dynamic force. A play by a brilliant writer, its unusual to be so moved in an 80minute production (that seemed like hours in a good way) and to have the production move to such a unique, and symmetric underlying of the chaos of "religious" interaction. While the act of the play itself is simple enough the thoughts it provokes just didn't stop. They persist as I'm writing this.

The play did exactly what its supposed to do. Challenge a rethinking on all levels of our perceptions when viewing other religions and their followers. Or non followers. The play evokes that we are Muslim, Jew, Christian, by birth or place, even if non practicing and that it impacts us, its in our blood, shapes our thought.

We literally just sat down for awhile after the play still transfixed at what we saw. Walked around a bit and took some time before driving home. That was how riveting the play was. I literally didn't want to think about anything else.

I have to say how consistently amazing it is that the Citadel so often delivers these completely mind blowing productions. Just when I think the best play ever comes along heres another. Its like that as a Citadel STH, its one brilliant performance after another where around 80-90% of the plays hit for us and where 2-3 in a season are utterly transcendent.

This play was so relevant to our times. To our country and world. Its like its required viewing. But unfortunately you won't be able to get tickets to this one as the entire run was pretty much sold out and is not being extended. Too much demand for this production. It ends tonight.
    Last edited by Replacement; 12-02-2017 at 10:34 AM.

Sounds interesting and I like the aspect of addressing people's inherited belief systems. Would love to see how that concept was presented.

However, I won't be seeing the play.

^

Thread title; Who knows what to do in Edmonton before and after Rogers events. Anybody? hello?

Hi, suburbanite here. I know next to nothing about what to do downtown in evenings, most times I find the place closed but I'm sure there's stuff..

I
    peace out..

jk aside though I actually haven't been able to start threads since the forum moved to this site. I am only able to use the most basic in functions here through "standard editor" or else nothing updates, posts don't get submitted, pages freeze and lock etc. This was addressed in the appropriate section.
    "I just figured I should start this thread."
    "I know nothing about Nuclear fission either, that will be my next thread start"

We need more of that. Hard as it is, I prefer the curious, openness and seeking to learn, over the narcissistic and self-promoting or promotion of other vested interests that often comes with new threads (many of mine included).

Plus in the vastness of cyberspace, threads don't take up much space. So just throwing things against the wall to see what sticks may be the best way to create value. And that value doesn't have to coincide with others current interests like newspaper forums. Here they can sit for years until someone else stumbles over them and gives them new life, maybe someone that wouldn't have starred the discussion but will engage with the issue.

I guess though the Internet is like religion. Many people born before the Internet age have a tough time leaving their old indoctrinated "current event myopia" behind and seeing how the Internet is both newspaper news / 6pm TV newscast and encyclopedia/library/knowledge base plus everything between and beyond like letters between old friends and family as was the past as well as communications with people that haven't even arrived yet.
    Last edited by KC; 12-02-2017 at 11:44 AM.

^

I
    peace out..

"I just figured I should start this thread."
    "I know nothing about Nuclear fission either, that will be my next thread start"

We need more of that. Hard as it is, I prefer the curious, openness and seeking to learn, over the narcissistic and self-promoting or promotion of other vested interests that often comes with new threads (many of mine included).

Plus in the vastness of cyberspace, threads don't take up much space. So just throwing things against the wall to see what sticks may be the best way to create value. And that value doesn't have to coincide with others current interests like newspaper forums. Here they can sit for years until someone else stumbles over them and gives them new life, maybe someone that wouldn't have starred the discussion but will engage with the issue.

I guess though the Internet is like religion. Many people born before the Internet age have a tough time leaving their old indoctrinated "current event myopia" behind and seeing how the Internet is both newspaper news / 6pm TV newscast and encyclopedia/library/knowledge base plus everything between and beyond like letters between old friends and family as was the past as well as communications with people that haven't even arrived yet.
    heh, I'm hardly shy about thread starts ftr. Just that I literally CANNOT start threads on this forum presently due to a conflict with this site and my computer. I've mentionded this before and in the post you quoted. So that I had to choose "Standard Editor" function just to be able to continue to post here and edit posts. Otherwise nothing was sending. Would just freeze page and timeout everytime I tried to post or reply. I can't even hilite text, post pictures, or anything like that. Fortunately this thread is here or I would not be able to start it. But yeah, I feel like I'm not able to contribute much to the site currently and I'm entirely dependent on others starting threads. To that end I appreciate you do start a lot of topical threads.

cheers
    Last edited by Replacement; 12-02-2017 at 11:55 AM.

Another season winding down. Crazy for you was good, as good as a musical kind of gets imo and I don't have a high opinion of musicals, I actually would opt out but the wife loves them. It was fun but really a lot of music. The singing dialogue kind of show. Hard to take more than 2hrs of it.

Which leads me to the current show. More music, this time only worse. A Peter Pan adaptation. I have to admit I'm cringing with this one. The wife is Scottish so Barrie, the author, is just short of Robbie Burns or something. I could never stay awake for more than 10mins of Peter Pan anything as a kid and don't even know the background story. Nor have any will to. Managed to go through avoiding any finding Neverland or hook type nonsense my entire life. I don't get stardust twinkle fantasy. Did I say I was dreading this one? To mock my predicament game 2 of the SC playoffs is on at the same time. I'll see if I can get lost at intermission and find a TV showing the game at some bar and say gee honey, they didn't let me back in to the second scene, I'm heartbroken here..

To think I actually use to like Dave Barry the humorist. why did he have to go and write this?

On a more serious note what is the Citadel doing having one infantile productions each season? Seems like every season one or two creep in, last year Mary Poppins. its really rare to see any kids even attending the plays at the Citadel and this current production has reviews like "my kids hated it".

Citadel, jmo, does drama, and mature comedy themes the best.

I really like supporting the Citadel, and have been passionate about it, but next season isn't blowing me away either. 3 musicals, another ***** production, (Robin Hood the silver Arrow) and with only one dramatic production. I like getting STH just to support the Citadel and retain our good seats but I have interest in only a few of the productions slated for next season. They really need to consider resales options for their customers.
    Last edited by Replacement; 13-04-2017 at 07:09 PM.

Resales might be a good idea. Maybe they could handle the exchange for a fee if they are worried about problems like counterfeiting.

Can you still donate tickets for a tax receipt?

With this one its too late. We're phoning around to see if anybody we know wants them. I have zero interest in seeing some derivative Peter Pan nonsense. tbh we were reticent in checking and busy and didn't even know what the play was about till the other day. To this point nobody else is interested in seeing this tripe either.

What I've voiced with the Citadel multiple time is if they could please go back to the system where you could pick 6 plays out of the 8 or 9 that they run in a season. They used to have a pick your own plays option. There should be no reason not to allow customers to do that. Well actually I know the reason. Each year theres 1-2 plays they run from Theater schools. Typically these aren't very good and they run in Maclab theater. Essentially they make that part of the package and in the hope that Seasons ticket holders will show up given that they've paid for the plays anyway. In the theater business this is a sitting duck crowd used to familiarize news actors to productions. I realize its a necessary part of supporting theater but invariably these are long and tedious productions. Increasingly its not working. Theres been as many as 100 empty seats in Maclab for productions whereas Shoctor is regularly sold out. Shoctor also being the bigger theater so the demand is just far less for Maclab productions. I've talked to other Citadel fans and they say people have actually even walked out of this current production its so bad. You can never tell from the official reviews and locally every review is always positive. Even for some of the worst productions Citadel has put out. Reviewers are often theater lovers that have more of an interest in promoting any theater than being objective in reviews. We watched youtubes of scenes from this player and it reinforced for both of us this would be 2.5hrs of wasted time. Old humor that isn't funny, guys dressed in drag because that's funny in 2017, and Dave Barry, who wrote this **** should retire and save us theater patrons. Strangely from Broadway on this play has been forced on patrons. Its got a strange love affair with Theater directors who must all have some Peter Pan in them or something. The new director waxes on about the play being great. That in itself doesn't give me huge confidence with where the Citadel is headed.

At minimum they should offer a Shoctor only package. The only reason we would continue with our STH now is we like our seats at Shoctor. But alas 2 plays next season are Maclab, and 3 of the plays in the next Seasons series we have limited interest in.

We're thinking about tapping out. Increasingly the plays offered are not matching our adult interests. I think it won't be long before they start doing comic and graphic novel plays to try to entice younger theater goers. Artistically the Citadel seems currently to be without direction.

Anybody following this? That Citadel pulls the rug out from Jordan Peterson.

http://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/c...n-not-shun-him

Agreed with Staples here. Also quite clear that this was cancelled due to local activists who are also quite pleased with themselves that they've got this cancelled. Ironically one of the opponents posts under a free speech blog.

Chantal Ghosh, a new hire at the Citadel having only worked there for 2mths is quoted saying "we made a decision at leadership level that (Petersons talk) was not in keeping with our mandate, mission, and values." I should note the Director, also relatively new is Daryl Cloran who might also have been involved in the decision.

I note as well the entire Mission statement of the Citadel has been rewritten by Cloran and the prior versions have been scrubbed.

Its been quite clearly outed which third parties were opposed to Peterson speaking at the Citadel. (Just look it up online) What offends me is that a theater has been co-opted by individuals that claim to speak for the mandate, mission, and values of a theater that exists on the backs of STH, funders, sponsors etc. Yet this decision to prohibit the Peterson speech is a decision made without ANY attempt to canvas longterm STH or even ask.

Have we learned nothing at all from the Wilfred Laurier censorship scandal? It appears not.

This is a sad, sad moment for the Citadel. How tragic that a theater that prides itself on furthering vision is interested in negating it in this instance.

Never even heard of the guy before this controversy and when I spent about 10-15 minutes looking up articles and interviews, my thought was "what's the controversy"?

He's just going against the grain but doesn't outright say hateful remarks. Cmon citadel. This is just as sad as Calgary and their nude swim debacle. And here I started to think that Edmonton was much more progressive than our southern neighbours.

C2E SME

It was discussed a bit in the all purpose thread, starting here: http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...l=1#post867488

Just an update that Chantell Ghosh has literally just been here in her job this week and this is the first decision she makes and she cancels a Jordan Peterson talk. While citing upper level discussion was had. In fairness to her I think she perhaps got the short end of the stick nobody else wanted but regardless this is silly. In Petersons words "Activists do not speak for the whole community" Which is what occurred here.
    Keeping in mind Peterson had already signed, paid deposit and had rented the facility. The speech was cancelled in between that time, January 9, and after Peterson had publicized the event.

In anycase the event is now going on at the DT Hyatt, good for them stepping up and of course they will benefit as will anybody attending.

For those not familiar Jordan Peterson is one of the foremost public speakers today world wide, best selling author, hails from Canada, U of T acting professor, and was born in Fairview Alberta (Near Peace River) and had Rachel Notley's mother as a school librarian. A person who he cites he owes some early intellectual interest to. Peterson is also a U of A alumni and this Citadel Theater decision being one of the most disgraceful cancellations of his public speaking tour is occurring right here, which is being talked about around the globe right now.

This being the most regressive instance since Wilfred Laurier repeatedly tried to shut up Lindsay Shepherd and sanction her after the TA showed a brief pronoun video of a Peterson debate in class.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    It was discussed a bit in the all purpose thread, starting here: http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...l=1#post867488
    Thanks Marcel, I looked around before and had seen no posts on this subject so that I thought they may as well fit within the ongoing Citadel Theatre thread.

C2E SME

Yeah, not sure where the discussion would be most appropriate, given that it will almost certain turn political/ideological.