Thread: Big Island (SW Edmonton)?

Default Big Island (SW Edmonton)?

A friend of mine was asking about Big Island, and if it is an area worth exploring? I had heard that it is private land and any "trails" might be "unofficial" with no facilities for the public.

Have also heard that there are issues with bush parties/litter and ATV & 4x4 use.

Any snippets of information you might have would be interesting! Thanks.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

It's part of the Big Island/Woodbend Natural Area and I don't see anything to show that it's privately owned. The North Saskatchewan may have flowed around the western side before the river was dammed. There are some trails on the island but I'm not sure about where to access the island, as there are several farms surrounding it.

http://www.edmontonrivervalley.org/b...odbend-project

C2E Long Term Contributor

Fun place to explore, have a picnic.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

it is a nature area. about 100 years ago there was a steam boat service that went up river to it on day excursions. but it is pretty wild now. the trail system last time I was there was pretty rustic. But a good place to explore. and it is not really an island now.

Get a back hoe and it could be!
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by BalancedOP View Post
    it is a nature area. about 100 years ago there was a steam boat service that went up river to it on day excursions. but it is pretty wild now. the trail system last time I was there was pretty rustic. But a good place to explore. and it is not really an island now.
    Stern wheeler also ran in the 60's

Another C2E thread with pictures.

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...d.php?p=542147
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Edmonton hoping Alberta can make area straddling several regions a provincial park - Edmonton | Globalnews.ca
    http://globalnews.ca/news/3729505/ed...ovincial-park/

Excerpt:

"Part of the Big Island-Woodbend Natural area is within Edmonton city limits but it also spreads into Enoch First Nation, Parkland and Leduc counties and the Town of Devon.

That’s part of the reason Edmonton is looking to the province for help.

“The scope of it is so overwhelming that as a region, we’ve really struggled,” Iveson said. “Not only will they be able to do it better, I think they’d be in a position to do it a lot faster than the municipality. "...

"The exact size of the potential park hasn’t been determined but it could stretch as far as Devon on the southwest side and Anthony Henday Drive on the northeast side. The park wouldn’t extend beyond the top of the river bank in Edmonton."

C2E Long Term Contributor

^ Thread started in the proper Parks and Rec section, Mr. Zombie Thread Whisperer
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...W-river-valley
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Thread has existed for 3 years and not one poster has provided info on either the access to this, where exactly its located in relation to roads, or if its a reasonable spot to visit. I've never been at the location and so I couldn't find it but it seems that people growing up in Riverbend or in Windermere might be more familiar.

Could anybody provide access information? The question was directly asked years ago.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I'd rather C2E than work!

The roads running down to that area, Windermere Blvd. and the one by Keswick seem to be the main accesses from the east bank. Areas I'm guessing that would have some big ol' nimbyism happening if the proles are invited to invade in any number.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

^Thanks Howie. I googled it. Even dedicated articles on it are not giving any clear description about how to get to the area. Canoeists know it but those less familiar with that area would not have any idea how to get there. This is one of the least assessable areas of the river valley it seems and being that its between developed portions of Edmonton and Devon. Some other citations are saying Winterburn road, or 215st. gives access. Not sure on that and nor is google maps..

They should call this secret island. Most people have heard of it, few have ever found it.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Not sure where exactly, but on the west bank via Winterburn Rd. or 215th St., one of the roads leads down to Edmonton Police Sports and Social facility. It must be twenty years since I was down that way. Could even be gone from there by now.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

I think I've driven out there before. Not entirely sure. I lived in the Donsdale area before the ring road was built and would go driving beyond 199st back in the days. Pretty sure you can drive right in using the roads from the Grandisle Estate Lots.

https://goo.gl/maps/TMN21rdfZb62

^ Thanks, B.ike. Yep, I don't see the EPS facility anywhere along there. Like I said, it's been a while.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Good place for a park. Anyone with nearby property will likely win the land value lottery if it gets the nod. Maybe in a million years CoE will spend $5 on the north side *cough* Beaumaris Lake *cough*
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

it is directly across the river to the Northeast from River Ridge Golf Course.

It is no longer an island and it is private land. The "island" is an old sandbar and the channel silted up after the Bighorn damage went in and river levels dropped. 10 years ago, i asked the farmer very nicely and he said no access but he could not say no to my 80 year old dad. Spent several.hours touring the place including the old campground cooking sheds and the old fountain.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 12-09-2017 at 03:52 PM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.