Thread: Dubai Tram

Default Dubai Tram

I don't know how seriously to take this... It's almost more of a Disney park transit system..

It even has First /Second and Women/Children class seating.... you can guess where the women and children sit.

http://gulfnews.com/polopoly_fs/1.12...2719293160.jpg

Dubai Tram testing in its third phase
    http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/tr...hase-1.1348645
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    I don't know how seriously to take this... It's almost more of a Disney park transit system..

It even has First /Second and Women/Children class seating.... you can guess where the women and children sit.

http://gulfnews.com/polopoly_fs/1.12...2719293160.jpg

Dubai Tram testing in its third phase
    http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/tr...hase-1.1348645

Let me guess, let me guess, mmm were the women and kids sit. I know, I know, on there rears. Am I right or am I right.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

^ so disgusting.

o well out of my control.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

^What's the thread about, the tram system or where the kids and women sit or both.
    If you want to mention the kids and women don't make it a guessing game. I guessed they would be sitting on their rears but that got shot down. Quit dangle questions at people because when they do answer you go ballistic.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

I hardly went ballistic.

get a grip

I wouldn't mind a men only (or perhaps "tall person") seating area on our LRT with extra seat space, sorta like those exclusive womens gyms I can't get into (I know a small guy who gets to work out in one after hours - equipment fits him well).

^Why would you want to get into an exclusive women's gym when there are plenty of others to go too. Is there something you are not telling us?.

^lol... I like working out with women around. Actually its just an interesting thing how some things can be exclusive, but other things can't, mens sections don't seem to exist in gyms. Not that I really mind no mens sections, just a shame the women often go elsewhere now.

Well, some women don't want guys in the gym. Apparently there are separate seats and carriages for women and children on the Dubai Metro if you care to want to use them.

^I guess its cause they don't want guys on their part of the train

I don't get what your gripe about this tram system is. Under first and second class, there is clearly a female symbol. Stating that women are allowed to sit there.

^ Only when with a man?...

Women and children only to accommodate orthodox religion...

There are also "women only parks"

We are talking about an area of the world where generally women should not be in public without their owner.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 19-06-2014 at 05:48 PM.

^
    No where does it say hear http://dubaimetro.eu/faq women & children have to sit in the women & children only carriages , even though there are dedicated carriages for them. No where does it say hear that women have to be with their 'owners'.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    ^
    No where does it say hear http://dubaimetro.eu/faq women & children have to sit in the women & children only carriages , even though there are dedicated carriages for them. No where does it say hear that women have to be with their 'owners'.
    If you think they'd allow unaccompanied women to sit alone in the 'mixed' carriage, you don't know much about Saudi Arabia.

Dubai isn't Saudi Arabia though

No but Dubai is full of Saudi's.

^and when it comes to the Dubai Metro you're full of something.............
    London is full of Saudi's, male and female and it hasn't changed the way the run their metro one iota.

DUDE...

There is a segregated compartment. There is no law or rule on the ETS that I have to cover my mouth when I sneeze but it is socially expected.

SOMEWHERE!! in this society.... among a group of people LARGE enough to warn't a segregated space ( not only here but in parks and the like) it is socially expected that unaccompanied women and children not be with other men.

This is Dubai....

Dubai Sentences European Rape Victim to 16 Months in Jail
    http://www.frontpagemag.com/2013/dgr...onths-in-jail/

here is some more...
    http://dubaiunveiled.com/tag/how-are...ated-in-dubai/

But, as I pointed out, Western women living here will also encounter frustrations. For example:

- While setting up a joint bank account you might find your husband is the only person allowed to create your (your!) pin number

- You might have to get your husband to write a letter of consent to give to your GP before she can prescribe the contraceptive pill and all the health checks that go with it

So stop acting like Dubai is some liberal bastion of equality in the middle east... FFS.

Other segrigated services...

Women only taxis
    Women only entrances and elevators in buildings.

some of this is guised as "heightened status" of women.. but that is a crock. Asking how your colleagues wife is would be offensive

more....

But that said, even in the UAE, the most liberal of the Gulf states, there are times when a Western woman will find it a little peculiar (you could switch that word for ‘frustrating’, if you’d like to read between the lines) that she can’t do something she’s always done, like drive, without a ‘letter of no objection’ from her husband.

It's better than other areas... but they still have a long way to go before reaching equality.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 20-06-2014 at 12:22 PM.

What exactly is the point of this thread, and why is it relevant to the discussion of things of importance to Edmonton?

^^think you are being sterotyped negative to muslims though. If their culture is women and children can choose a separate area, how is that different from the women's gym example i gave?

^it has no relevance, but does every thread have to?

DUDE...

There is a segregated compartment. There is no law or rule on the ETS that I have to cover my mouth when I sneeze but it is socially expected.

SOMEWHERE!! in this society.... among a group of people LARGE enough to warn't a segregated space ( not only here but in parks and the like) it is socially expected that unaccompanied women and children not be with other men.

This is Dubai....

Dubai Sentences European Rape Victim to 16 Months in Jail
    http://www.frontpagemag.com/2013/dgr...onths-in-jail/

here is some more...
    http://dubaiunveiled.com/tag/how-are...ated-in-dubai/

But, as I pointed out, Western women living here will also encounter frustrations. For example:

- While setting up a joint bank account you might find your husband is the only person allowed to create your (your!) pin number

- You might have to get your husband to write a letter of consent to give to your GP before she can prescribe the contraceptive pill and all the health checks that go with it

So stop acting like Dubai is some liberal bastion of equality in the middle east... FFS.
    What you are chuntering on about still does not negate the fact that there is absolutely NO mention of segregated cars on the Dubai Metro. It's states there are cars for women & children if they want to use them but it does not say the other cars are out of bounds for them. The web site I provided is there for anyone in the world to read, for anyone in the world thinking of going to Dubai for business or pleasure. Then you leap to birth control, oh boy.

Gemini...

There are segregated cars, beaches, taxis, entrances, cues at grocery stores, pools, gyms etc etc etc.

I don't see how one website you post on a tram system that fails to break down the social expectations of the culture with in Dubai in it's entirety somehow makes me wrong and you morally superior.

Gemini.. see that tree over there... its part of that forest you are obviously missing.

^Dude, I know Dubai is predominately Muslim and with that go all kinds of rules, regulations and customs. Let's for get that as that is not what I need to know. I provided a website to the actually Dubai Metro System. You stated that women and kids were not allowed in certain cars, more so women could not be in certain cars without their 'owners'. I am asking you dude where it states that on the website. As one poster pointed out already, the carriages have designated signs on them stating they are for men and women. One carriage states 'women & children. I'[m not particularly into the birth control of the Muslim world so don't cloud the water if you don't have a straight answer.
    Here is the actual metro website. If you can't find what you are stating just say so.

http://dubaimetro.eu/faq
    Is there a ladies-only compartment on the train?

Yes, there is dedicated compartment for ladies and children only, but ladies can also travel in other compartments on the train.

^.......where does it say 'only with their owners'? as you are alluding too.

If I go onto the ETS website does it say that I can't use the w omens washroom... Is there an actual LAW saying I can't use the women's washroom or is that a Societal law.

You are missing the point.

Try to use the womens washroom and find out...

If I go onto the ETS website does it say that I can't use the w omens washroom... Is there an actual LAW saying I can't use the women's washroom or is that a Societal law.

You are missing the point.
    Your still not answering what I asked which is. "Where does it say women cannot go into certain carriages without their owner".
    It's not a hard question but you are not providing the answer to a statement you made.
    Please, don't bring anymore examples into the mix, we know you are just trying to cloud the water.

The buses are even segregated...It's a segregated society.. Its the social make up. A society where the victim of rape is sentenced and women are made to FEAR other men. A culture that would rather protect the alarming behavior of males in this culture than promote a equal society.

I am done with this stupid discussion.

^Good job EDP. I understand, you cannot provide what's asked so it's a prudent decision. Backing off gracefully is the right thing to do.

Israel had segregated buses as late as 2011.

Advocacy groups who fought segregated bus lines claimed that discrimination against women in public buses was maintained one year later.[7] Incidents in which woman were ordered by ultra-Orthodox men to sit at the back of buses and were abused when they refused, have been reported.[8] As of 2013, Haredim (Ultra-Orthodox) surrounded and stoned buses after the drivers explained to passengers that women cannot be forced to sit in the back, breaking windows until they were arrested;[9] a month later, a secular man punched, and pulled the beard of, a Haredi who tried to get a woman to move, then he escaped arrest.[10]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mehadrin_bus_lines

^Thanks k but this is more about EDP making statements then not being able to back them up when asked. It spoils the thread when things are said and people want to see tangible proof of what is stated. When questioned on this he starts to elude to other topics that are not related. I realize Muslim women have a whole different reality than western women.

^ so disgusting.

Now that EDP opted out of this thread he started, I can make a comment without his backlash. I just wonder what part of the world EDP controls?

On the issue he brought up about being a Disney Park type of system. One common theme that reoccurs is that ammusement park, airport and campus people movers, both automated and with drivers are viewed by many posters with distain. I wonder why?

In my recent trips I have been on many automated people movers including Disney World Florida and some airports have many types of systems at the same location.

These are high density locations where masses of people need to be moved from one location to another, often multiple stations with high freguency, non-scheduled services, often supplied free of charge most offen built and operated by PRIVATE companies.

In general, the COE should learn that when private companies are faced with a problem, they look for the most cost efficient engineered solution to solve it. You do not see over engineered, expensive public transit styled systems where there are schedules, fare boxes and cranky drivers.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

U see automated people movers as being the right tool for the right job at such places. Where the "distain" comes from is when people try to use them in inappropriate places, like replacing the bus system with an unproven system that would require hundreds of kilometres of new infrastructure to replace something that, while it could use improvement (and what can't?), works quite well as evidenced by cities would wide.

The right tool for the right job.

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Agreed, for short trips, the right tool is "legs" (or for some, wheelchair), as the trips get longer it is "bus", or "train" or "auto" (perhaps oneday, roboauto).

^ so disgusting.

Thank cheeseus I am out of your control. I pity the people you do manage to 'control'.

Aren't we all...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

U see automated people movers as being the right tool for the right job at such places. Where the "distain" comes from is when people try to use them in inappropriate places, like replacing the bus system with an unproven system that would require hundreds of kilometres of new infrastructure to replace something that, while it could use improvement (and what can't?), works quite well as evidenced by cities would wide.

There are hundreds of people movers used worldwide that move millions of people a day.

Israel had segregated buses as late as 2011.

Advocacy groups who fought segregated bus lines claimed that discrimination against women in public buses was maintained one year later.[7] Incidents in which woman were ordered by ultra-Orthodox men to sit at the back of buses and were abused when they refused, have been reported.[8] As of 2013, Haredim (Ultra-Orthodox) surrounded and stoned buses after the drivers explained to passengers that women cannot be forced to sit in the back, breaking windows until they were arrested;[9] a month later, a secular man punched, and pulled the beard of, a Haredi who tried to get a woman to move, then he escaped arrest.[10]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mehadrin_bus_lines
    equally as disgusting.

Since it seems like I"m the only one who has actually ridden the Dubai metro, Gemini is right. The mixed section has everyone -- male, female (unaccompanied), etc. The women/children section is much nicer and the women have option to use it.

There is segregation in Dubai along nationalistic lines (ie. local Emirati versus other nationalities). Gender based occupancy is optional (ie. buses) but I noticed it was used by women of all backgrounds.

Source: visited Dubai several times in the past 5 years as I have some family living there.