Thread: El Cortez Tequila Bar + Kitchen

First One is Always Free

Default El Cortez Tequila Bar + Kitchen

Met the owner and chef of El Cortez on the weekend. El Cortez is a Tequila bar + Kitchen. Its opening up at 8230 Gateway Boulevard - Summer 2014 (http://elcortezcantina.com/)

Going to be a happening spot!
    Last edited by Akerr12; 24-06-2014 at 12:51 PM.

Man it's been a long time since I've been down Whyte.

Funny that it's arguably our most successful shopping street.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Little write-up in the Journal about this place:
    http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...r-and-kitchen/

C2E Long Term Contributor

Glad to see more mexican, Portland has a ton and they were so fresh, semi healthy and cheap.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Glad to see more mexican, Portland has a ton and they were so fresh, semi healthy and cheap.
    Sadly I doubt this will be cheap. It's Edmonton afterall. Even when a nice profit can be made, why not gouge customers for every single penny you can convince them it's worth? Seems to be a common theme for all industries from food to construction.

First One is Always Free

I didn't get many specifics on menu or pricing but I imagine it will have to compete with other nearby restaurants to make it a desireable location, time and time again.
    Last edited by Akerr12; 24-06-2014 at 12:54 PM. Reason: grammar

C2E Continued Contributor

Indeed it will be nice to have a choice of a Mexican restaurant, however it is difficult to pay 10 bucks for fish tacos made with Cod when I can get $2 fish tacos in Mexico made from fresh Mahi Mahi.

Heck there is even a place in Las vegas that sells $2 tacos and that place is expensive!

^One of my biggest peeves with Craft. Their fish tacos are fried basa, about the cheapest, blandest fish you can buy. And yet they're still expensive. Original Joe's use mahi mahi and are much better for the money.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by chupa View Post
    Indeed it will be nice to have a choice of a Mexican restaurant, however it is difficult to pay 10 bucks for fish tacos made with Cod when I can get $2 fish tacos in Mexico made from fresh Mahi Mahi.

Heck there is even a place in Las vegas that sells $2 tacos and that place is expensive!
    ... and I can get $0.50 al pastor in Mexico City...
    www.decl.org

$1 tacos and Brixx and $2 tacos at Elephant and Castle
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    ^One of my biggest peeves with Craft. Their fish tacos are fried basa, about the cheapest, blandest fish you can buy. And yet they're still expensive. Original Joe's use mahi mahi and are much better for the money.
    Basa-Mekong river catfish.

Good for those who want something that needs about 10lb's of seasoning on it.

I had fish taco's in Michigan once that were made using Walleye... They even had Pike taco's, using local ingredients was cool to see and very tasty!

Heard they are opening on Aug 8, they want to open in time for the Fringe. Caught a sneek peek inside, looks awesome.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Heard 5th, but either way quite soon. Another step forward.
    www.decl.org

Opening on Aug 15
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I hear they are finally open

So I hear... and with a DJ party tonight.
    www.decl.org

Friday, August 15, 2014

Nice signage, looked to be hopping. Great timing on opening with the Fringe week ahead.

Interesting. Something isn't quite right though.

Went with friends last night, great staff, awesome interiors, nice tequila selection, decent prices.

It was quiet when we went, but I could see that place being super fun when busier.... curious about the food.
    www.decl.org

I heard the drinks are great, atmosphere is great, but food and service were not so good.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    I heard the drinks are great, atmosphere is great, but food and service were not so good.
    I mentioned on SS our exp. As to service the men were standout...bar and wait staff. The women servers..., the way some of them were dressed, walked and talked are "bimbo like" and a better fit for Cook Country or some country or hick bar. If that offends anyone oops...just what we thought. The food menu is disjointed...and frankly I can not imagine having a real 2-3 course meal there. Its short order with minimal effort. Given the effort they put into the dining space which is great - you might expect MORE from the menu in terms of variety and depth and a real meal.
    Last edited by EdmTrekker; 31-08-2014 at 03:16 PM.

I'm starting to think that drink takes priority over food at this place.

Reviews are very mixed so far:
    http://www.yelp.ca/biz/el-cortez-teq...tchen-edmonton

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/131/1873...tchen-Edmonton

El Cortez is a drinks joint, the food that we had was mediocre at best with small portions. When it gets busy it's basically a full-on nightclub packed like sardines and very noisy which is fine if you're into that sort of thing.

Sounds like a replica of Julio's then... Decent booze but horrible food. I give the place 1 year max before it closed unless they clean up their act. Who needs two crappy Mexican joints less than 2 blocks away from eachother? Truly unfortunate as I was looking forward to checking it out. I will give it a month before I try it and pass final judgement.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Am I the only one who, as soon as I saw the location and the words 'Tequila Bar', knew it would be just another Whyte Ave. drinking establishment catering to a younger, party hard clientele?

And, as for 'Julio's', I suppose it's a fun spot to have a few drinks and people watch on the patio, but serves some of the most atrocious /Mexican/ food I've ever attempted to eat.

Cafe Del Sol (at least the 66 Street location) is as authentic as it gets in this town, without the hype and shenanigans. It serves it's purpose as 'authentic' Mexican.

Cafe Del Sol is the best in our view, followed by Tres Carnales. Cafe Del Sol is less expensive and better, a good place for families too quite a few eat there. It gets busy go early on the weekends. We like going to places like this, young, elderly, families, neighbourhood people, family run business . . . no 'how cool art thou' hipster d-bag attitude.

Chantal Kreviazuk and Raine Maida perform a surprise show at El Cortez. They even did an acoustic version of "Superman's Dead"
    http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/video?cli...ylistPageNum=1

Based on the review SDM linked above, Top_Dawg made a point of going to El Cortez for Taco Tuesday.

First time there ever.

Wasn't there very long.

Top_Dawg opened the door.

Hostesses greeted him.

Top_Dawg said he just wanted a seat at the bar.

They said go right in, there should be room.

Top_Dawg stepped by them.

What a shitshow !

Loud.

Crowded.

Wall to wall people.

Top_Dawg turned around.

Said no thanks.

And tumbled down the alley to O2s.

This place is seriously busy.

That's the name of the game though. Money money money

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Tiny little basket of chips and dip that tastes like it came out of a can for $15 is a bit rich for my taste.

El Cortez a lively spot for an authentic Mexican patio meal
    http://edmontonjournal.com/life/food...can-patio-meal

I really need to try this place soon.