Thread: Devonian Gardens

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default Devonian Gardens

Anyone who's been there likely isn't surprised to see this, none-the-less:

EDMONTON – The Devonian Botanical Gardens has been named Botanical Garden of the Year by a group of peers.

The honour is part of the Canadian Garden Council’s 2014 Garden Tourism Awards.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1410670/de...rd-from-peers/
    ... gobsmacked

Edmonton & region cleaning up this year for our attractions!

Now if only Travel Alberta would recognize this
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Year in Review: Paula Simons remembers her time-travelling trip to Dyde House

PAULA SIMONS, EDMONTON JOURNAL
    More from Paula Simons, Edmonton Journal
    Published on: December 26, 2016 | Last Updated: December 26, 2016 7:00 AM MST

"Let me tell you a secret. Hidden in the woods, just steps from the Devonian Botanic Gardens, is a magical mystery house. It is one of the very first buildings ever designed by the great Canadian architect Arthur Erickson, created at the beginning of his career. It’s open, airy, and filled with light, both sleekly futuristic and classically elegant. And for decades, not even architectural scholars knew it was there."

http://edmontonjournal.com/year-in-r...-to-dyde-house

We went to Luminaria before Christmas. I'd recommend it.

http://luminaria.ualberta.ca

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Featured in the Globe and Mail today: "Where faith and beauty bloom: Inside Edmonton’s new Islamic-inspired garden"
    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...amic-inspired/
    posts randomly and infrequently

C2E SME

I believe the new name is the U of A Botanic Garden, but I think the Aga Khan had a great vision for the garden!
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

That looks really interesting!

C2E Long Term Contributor

Really looking forward to spending a day out there this summer exploring this.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I know a botanist from YVR plans a trip to YEG just to see this garden.

Looks amazing in photos. Bet it's even better in person.
    ... gobsmacked

C2E Long Term Contributor

Where faith and beauty bloom: Inside Edmonton’s new Islamic-inspired garden

The world’s newest and northernmost Islamic-inspired garden has been sculpted out of Alberta’s rugged countryside on a tract of land 15 minutes northwest of the Edmonton airport.

The Aga Khan Garden, funded by a $25-million donation from the philanthropist and spiritual leader of the world’s Shia Ismaili Muslims, opens Canada Day weekend on the grounds of the University of Alberta Botanic Garden.

The Aga Khan chose the site in 2009 when he came to Edmonton to deliver the university’s convocation address. It is just the second garden of its kind in North America, and is larger than the one that opened in Toronto in 2015.
    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-where-faith-and-beauty-bloom-inside-edmontons-new-islamic-inspired/
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Don't read the comments on the G&M article.

Was at the Japanese Garden two weeks ago and had the chance to get a sneak peek of the Islamic garden. Very unique; lots of emphasis on water as opposed to greenery/flowers. Very strong juxtaposition from the Japanese Garden while both aim for tranquility.

Can't wait until they fill the features with water.

I was a bit dismayed they used existing forested area near the entrance of the park for this feature garden. Thought it would be an expansion instead.

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    Was at the Japanese Garden two weeks ago and had the chance to get a sneak peek of the Islamic garden. Very unique; lots of emphasis on water as opposed to greenery/flowers. Very strong juxtaposition from the Japanese Garden while both aim for tranquility.

Can't wait until they fill the features with water.

I was a bit dismayed they used existing forested area near the entrance of the park for this feature garden. Thought it would be an expansion instead.
    I believe the Aga Khan garden now has had a soft opening which will continue this year. It really is a beautiful feature and I would encourage everyone to make the short trip out to see it!

C2E SME
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.