Thread: Where to go for selling a used car?

Default Where to go for selling a used car?

Hi, I need to sell a 1998 Subary Legacy (manual shift, AWD) because I am moving to another country. But I have never done this. Should I go to a Subaru dealer to sell it? I am not interested in spending a lot of time and searching for a better deal. I just want to be quick. We bought it new in 1998 and it has been a great car for our family: it still runs very well and we have taken care of it reasonably well (but there are some dents in the rear bumper etc. and the front windshield has a crack running at the bottom). It has about 240,000km. I have no idea how much I will be able to get. Any advice for where to go and how much to expect is appreciated.

Thanks.
    Steve

If you have time, then the most payback would be to use something like autotrader.

However, if you don't, I'd sugget using the auction like Osman, you will likely get a better price than a dealer will offer you. If you don't put a reserve you will get more interest (bigger risk though). If you search around I am guessing you can probably find the price list from the last auction to give you an idea what you will get, I doubt it will be much given the age of the vehcile, and the fact it is manual transmission.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Kijiji or Autotrader if you want to sell it privately. Prepare for spammers and scammers, unfortunately. Selling it at a dealer or an auction will likely result in significantly less return, but the difference on an older vehicle like that may well not be worth your time.

Steve, register for an account on Western Subaru Club.. there's a few members on there looking for something similar to yours.

Depending on what value you give it, it might go quickly (or not).

http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php

Use Kijiji as a guideline for pricing, look for similar years and mileage. They're all knowledgeable bunch on there, so if you've passed the timing belt interval (as an example), be prepared to adjust your asking price accordingly.

Default Thank you

Thank you, everyone, for your advice. Someone from the Western Subaru Club contacted me with a budget of $1000. I am talking with him and happy.

Thank you.
    Steve

Was it Chris? I knew he was looking and told him to register here and send you a note, haha.

Do I get a finder's fee? Glad you found someone quickly.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Kijiji is really easy to use. Sold our car on there very quickly for more than I was expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
    Was it Chris? I knew he was looking and told him to register here and send you a note, haha.

Do I get a finder's fee? Glad you found someone quickly.
    Maaaaaaybeeeee. . Lol.

Kijiji - we listed our car at $2000 over book value and got it within a week!
    FREE THE LOOPING .GIF MEMES
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

C2E Hard Core Contributor

quick question. when selling a car privately do you have to do an inspection?

also other than bill of sale and that section 2 of your registraton paper is there any othere documents needed?
    be offended! figure out why later...

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

No inspection is required, that's up to the buyer. And as far as I'm aware, no other documents are required other than what you mention.

Kijiji! My girl had a car that book value was $3200. We put it on Kijiji for $5000 and sold it in one day.
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Book value tends to be fairly low, if the car is in near-mint condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    This card has been in 2 accidents! But the person who bought it had just written off their previously vehicle and got 5 grand from insurance for a new car
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    This card has been in 2 accidents! But the person who bought it had just written off their previously vehicle and got 5 grand from insurance for a new car
    Komrade, have you sold any music gear on Kijiji? I'm selling off a pa system (Peavey/Fender) and maybe a couple keyboards and I'm thinking about Kijiji for this.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra