Thread: Of photos and litigation

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Default Of photos and litigation

You know what, in one thread I was asked to grow a pair and ban people. In this thread, a simple request gets me kicked in the pair. So, I guess they grow by swelling?

You just can win with you folks. The fun part is that I get to pay for all this, and yet again get lawsuits for what you folks say, or get passively aggressively told to STFU when I make a simple request. The last time I suggested 640x480 as a start, and even you dear Hilman said that was too small.

It is not just one person complaining. I even checked these on the several devices I own, and it formatted slightly differently. Yet, when asked, people go sideways with yet another temper tantrum.

You've made my decision very clear.
    Ow

I'd rather C2E than work!

Sad trombone.

It's really too bad that some folks always gripe and complain and want things a certain particular way. This is a free site and it should go without saying that the rules and regulations must be respected for many reasons including liability. So, why can't we all just be adults and follow along? Appears we could lose this fantastic site thanks to those that have bucked the rules and spat on and disrespected the moderators.

I have very much enjoyed this site ... thank you C2E !!

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by TRtower View Post
    It's really too bad that some folks always gripe and complain and want things a certain particular way. This is a free site and it should go without saying that the rules and regulations must be respected for many reasons including liability. So, why can't we all just be adults and follow along? Appears we could lose this fantastic site thanks to those that have bucked the rules and spat on and disrespected the moderators.

I have very much enjoyed this site ... thank you C2E !!
    I concur. I don't post here often and mainly lurk for insights into construction and development in Edmonton. This site really is the first line for learning about what's going in our great city.

The fact that Admin is willing to keep this website going after all of what he's had to endure legally regarding the conduct of its member base is amazing to me. Also, the fact that its members still give him issues even after repeated requests to tone it down is a testament to his patience.

Some of you, who profess to be adults, act more like high functioning autistic children.

Argue the point, not the person. A lot of you have trouble doing this and let your egos get in the way. This is not high school. There's nothing wrong with lively discussion, but it should be obvious to you all now after repeated warnings from the Admin, that "free speech" works a lot differently here in Canada.

I hope we can clear out some of the problem members on here and ensure that for those of us who enjoy reading this site, can do so for years to come. After all, the admin is only going to put up with so much more BS before tossing a grenade in this place for good.
    Edmonton is a very exciting place to be right now.

^
    As another long-time lurker on this wonderful, free, and knowledgeable forum, I say that's about bang on.

Possibly, a strict no abuse policy could be boldly outlined on the top of each page, break the rules once and get called out for it, twice and your account is terminated. Hey, we're all required to constantly follow rules and regulations in our daily lives, why not here on someone else's property and domain?

C2E makes Edmonton a better place! Losing this site is like losing head offices!

Possibly, a strict no abuse policy could be boldly outlined on the top of each page, break the rules once and get called out for it, twice and your account is terminated.
    If this is about photo sizing, I think that's way too harsh. People who post photos that are improperly sized have good intentions. Maybe they aren't technologically savvy enough to resize pictures. We shouldn't punish them for trying to contribute; rather, try and teach them/let them know what an adequate size is.

I really think much of this goes way deeper beyond photo resizing ...

"The fun part is that I get to pay for all this, and yet again get lawsuits for what you folks say, or get passively aggressively told to STFU when I make a simple request."

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by albertoid View Post
    Possibly, a strict no abuse policy could be boldly outlined on the top of each page, break the rules once and get called out for it, twice and your account is terminated.
    If this is about photo sizing, I think that's way too harsh. People who post photos that are improperly sized have good intentions. Maybe they aren't technologically savvy enough to resize pictures. We shouldn't punish them for trying to contribute; rather, try and teach them/let them know what an adequate size is.
    None of the photos have appeared to be overly large on this thread.

Mine was on conduct in general. Sizing of the photos is minor when you look at the "big picture" (haha), but reading some of the posts in this thread (and many other threads recently), then Admin's response was what gave me the push to post what I did.

I really think much of this goes way deeper beyond photo resizing ...

"The fun part is that I get to pay for all this, and yet again get lawsuits for what you folks say, or get passively aggressively told to STFU when I make a simple request."
    Definitely.

Sorry for continued off topic, but...as a long time member of this forum I had no idea there was a 640x480 image size limit or suggestion thereof. I'll point out there is nothing specific in the forum rules and posting guidelines, just a vague plea to "be considerate".

If I may put forth an opinion without it being interpreted as a kick in the balls, Admin, I think the status quo unspoken limit of 1024px on the long side is best. It's the size I have always posted my shots in, it is the size that the overwhelming majority of other posters use, and it is what Magnoblade used above. It looks great on my desktop, on my lappy, and even my phone. Call me elitist if you want, but if your phone/device cannot elegantly resize a 1024px image then your three year contract is almost certainly up soon and there is an upgrade in your near future.

2 cents is all, carry on. But if a limit of whatever size is to be imposed kindly be specific about it in the rules.
    Support the mob or mysteriously disappear...

Maybe admin could create a separate thread on this so this issue can be worked out ...

Quote Originally Posted by bulliver View Post

If I may put forth an opinion without it being interpreted as a kick in the balls, Admin, I think the status quo unspoken limit of 1024px on the long side is best. It's the size I have always posted my shots in, it is the size that the overwhelming majority of other posters use, and it is what Magnoblade used above. It looks great on my desktop, on my lappy, and even my phone. Call me elitist if you want, but if your phone/device cannot elegantly resize a 1024px image then your three year contract is almost certainly up soon and there is an upgrade in your near future.

2 cents is all, carry on. But if a limit of whatever size is to be imposed kindly be specific about it in the rules.
    Well said bulliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Maybe admin could create a separate thread on this so this issue can be worked out ...
    You would think...and I agree. It is disruptive when discussed on threads like this.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Yes, you would think.

Yes, it did get split out, after I got some sleep. I do have a real job and this pays me absolutely zero. so carrying a pager or 24X7 monitoring of each and every thread simply just does not happen.

bulliver, I appreciate your suggestion, but there are several threads that talked about this, and when I suggested the admittedly old school resolution of 640X480 and a link to the full sized image to allow those that want HQ images, well, again I was told I was stupid. Also, I have 3 rather new devices (oldest is 13 months), and yes, some of these do not render well. It is especially annoying when I try to come in after yet again another ego filled pee pee contest to try to moderate, and the uber image makes the typeset the size of a pin.

Yes, the age of this forum software is also a huge issue. That is about 60% of the reason why this sometimes does not render well. However, the last quote I had on converting this site was well over $200K, and while I have been able to absorb the costs of this from a hosting and labour standpoint, I am not that generous.

The core issue is well stated in the "posting of defamatory comments" thread in member alerts. A thread about a condo management company's practices yet again got me in hot water. A solution that I thought solved it, and was agreed to that it was solved, apparently now isn't.

This site is used by far many more than actually post here. My bandwidth is over the moon now. I do know that this is a repository for several people, and C2E has a readership that exceeds many dailies in this town (and others). However, this is not something that people want to pay for. That is the long and the short of it. It can be argumentative, it can have sections so full of hubris that you shake you head in disbelief, it can have people argue over nothing or litter other threads with arguments from other conversations or old hurts, it can have several run on sentences like this one, but in the end it reflects a slice of life that is humanity.

But when I ask for something simple, or try again and again to have people who simply refuse to cooperate and calm down, then get told to act like the overlord and start pulling out the ban hammer only to have a PM campaign of people complaining about why I banned user X, Y, or Z - well, you can't win for losing. Unlike Vader, I am not your father. I am not even your mother's brother's cousin's former college roommate. Being told to STFU on a regular occurrence is getting old.

Free has its own inherent value. Last night at yet another meeting where I am volunteering my time, I was given "free" advice. It was worth exactly that - nothing. This site, while "free" to you, costs me plenty in time, aggravation, and yes, money. I find it extremely beneficial to the city, but maybe my view is clouded. Maybe the "free" truly has that inherent value of nothing. It is high time I take a look at this equation in a serious fashion.
    Ow

Thank you for your indepth comments Admin. There's only so much time/ effort/expensive/frustration and abuse one take before having to take a long hard review of matters. Folks tend to forget of there being real people behind these websites.

Well personally I would start by banning the idiots, I can think of 3 right off the top of my head.

I would also not fret over what the site does on mobile use, it's always going to be sketchy. Stick with desktop/laptop (decent resolution) use.

Some of these companies deserve to be outted as all they care about is one thing. There's horror stories all over about these so called "management companies". It's a shame that instead of trying to fix what's wrong within the company, they're out to threaten with lawsuits. And then the cycle continues of lousy service. We live in the day of no such thing as personal/business responsibility. It's always somebody else's fault.

I swear, a few short decades from now, there's gonna come a day when no one will even leave their home due to the threat of a lawsuit.

And if you close shop, I know I'll miss this place.

Admin, thanks for taking the time to explain some of your frustrations.

Moving forward, what are some of the solutions to some of these problems and frustrations you mention? Is it worth doing some fundraising by C2E members to help pay for the site? Sounds like the problems are both operational and monetary.
    www.decl.org

I appreciate this site and the people who take time out to run it. I'm not to computer savvy when it comes to the real techy stuff so if I post pics that are to big it's not done on purpose. I always try to tear one off people who go too far. Sometimes I enjoy that as long as I don't hurt their feeling to much. That's all I have to say about that.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

anyone who complain , offensive comments or whatsoever should be banned from this site , problem solved !!
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Offensive comments are a hard one to pin point. What offends some may roll of the back of others.

There's a fairly simple yet drastic solution that will fix most problems.

Publish a list of banned words and phrases. Ban on the first use. And make sure that list includes the words "you", "your", and "yours".

By eliminating direct address, most insults will quite simply disappear, as will just about all the low-grade sniping that tries patience at this and so many other online forums.

I think the banning can and should happen automatically, by script rather than human intervention.

And -- although this is hard to automate -- for heaven's sake ban on the first attempt to post a picture-meme or whatever those crude exercises in putdown are called.

^How will I be able to wish you a Merry Xmas, answer me that Sherlock.

Quote Originally Posted by AShetsen View Post
    for heaven's sake ban on the first attempt to post a picture-meme or whatever those crude exercises in putdown are called.
    lets not get crazy now, these memes are half the fun of a internet message board.
    be offended! figure out why later...

Just curious how most social network sites automatically reduce the size of a posted photo to a standard size. This can solve the size issue problem by resizing from c2e end rather than asking the user to do so.

Also, maybe it has been suggested before but isn't possible to create a non- for- profit LLP corp to own c2e? This helps with litigations issues hopefully. Even major movie studios nowadays highlight at the beginning of the films, don't sue us because any opinion presented in the movie does not represent the studio!

Then looking for sponsorship from CoE, EEDC, Edmonton tourism, major construction and energy companies in town? This should help with workload, perhaps allowing to hire a full time admin backed by a board to help on legal and financial issues. This forum is certainly a great resource for all who move to Edmonton and who live in Edmonton, so employers in the city and the city itself should support it. When I moved from Vancouver, HR at my current firm gave me a package to help me (and any other employee new in town) to learn how things work here (say where to go to get a driver's license etc). Honestly, I learned more from c2e than that package.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Just curious how most social network sites automatically reduce the size of a posted photo to a standard size. This can solve the size issue problem by resizing from c2e end rather than asking the user to do so.
    It's done using relatively simple imaging libraries and some code, but those sites are all designed from the ground up. I don't imagine it would be easy or even possible to just 'drop' that kind of software into this completely different forum software. Image resizing also requires some fairly intensive processing on the back-end, which would place a huge burden on this site's server considering the amount of images posted on here, further putting a drain on resources.

Even the very latest version of vBullitin does not appear to have image resizing as a feature or add-on option.

IMHO I think it wouldn't hurt to mete out a lot more temporary bans so flagrant abusers can sit in the corner and think about what they've done. I think C2E gets taken for granted by a number of users.

In a lot of cases, I'm sure it's just a failure to understand the rules, and a 48 hour ban with a list of fixes wouldn't hurt.

And ban trolls. It's getting ridiculous. Some users are only here to troll.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I don't understand why this site has issues with large pictures.

Uploads of pics to C2E servers aren't allowed. Or at least certainly they weren't allowed some months ago when I last posted pictures.

What the code tags allow is to LINK to a image stored on some other site, whether it's cloud storage or whatever else. And then this link is rendered in the end-user's browser.

So certainly everyone who views C2E incurs the download cost. And of course the sites that store these files incur the upload costs of every hit.

But as for C2E itself -- it incurs basically the cost of transmitting one URL.

No? Is this wrong?

To be blunt here...

If you don't have the technological savvy to do something, DON'T DO IT. I personally have no clue how to re-size photos, and so I avoid doing so, no matter how good my intentions may be.

And I join with others in saying that Admin here should be respected, and their decisions treated as binding. They are the ones putting up the time and resources to maintain this site, and that needs to be reflected in the way they are treated.

AShetson, I think the complaint (which I don't necessarily agree is a huge problem) is that large images do not display well on some devices, thus a compromise on image sizes to the LCD of all devices.

That said, not my site, not my rules. I just ask if a size limit is decided upon put it in the rules so there is no more confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    IMHO I think it wouldn't hurt to mete out a lot more temporary bans so flagrant abusers can sit in the corner and think about what they've done. I think C2E gets taken for granted by a number of users.

In a lot of cases, I'm sure it's just a failure to understand the rules, and a 48 hour ban with a list of fixes wouldn't hurt.

And ban trolls. It's getting ridiculous. Some users are only here to troll.
    "Ban trolls" is a statement sorta like "Vote out sleazy politicians". The terminology is subjective to the point of being meaningless.

A genuine troll is someone who argues inflammatory opinions simply because he wants to provoke strife on the board. The problem is, there is no way of knowing what is going on in the head of a given poster, ie. whether he is just trying to start fights, or whether he really believes in his positions. So, in that sense of the word, it is impossible to find a workable standard for banning trolls.

Furthermore, for a lot of people, there is a going to be a pretty huge overlap between "posters I think are trolling" and "posters whose opinions I find disagreeable". In my experience, people rarely call "troll" on someone they agree with, even if the other person is expressing himself in a highly provocative manner.

No. There's an Admin and I trust the discretion & decision. Because it's his board.

/end

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Hello all,

I am swamped at work so I am sorry I haven't responded. Thank you for your feedback. I will respond tonight.
    Ow

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    Admin, thanks for taking the time to explain some of your frustrations.

Moving forward, what are some of the solutions to some of these problems and frustrations you mention? Is it worth doing some fundraising by C2E members to help pay for the site? Sounds like the problems are both operational and monetary.

Could this site not easily be monitized? I would think it could easily bring in $3k a month in ad revenue.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Photo sizing was the last straw for me. It was a simple request to allow as many users who may or may not be as technically savvy or up to date a chance to enjoy the pictures, comments, and the site. This software is old. Not everyone rushes out to get the latest device. This forum is meant for a large number of people to enjoy, not just a few.

To then get told to go pound sand with a very simple request (while simultaneously discovering that yet again someone is trying to sue me), set me off.

Back when C2E was started, we partnered with many of the organizations FamilyMan mentioned (EEDC, CofE, Chamber of Volunteer organizations, etc). The intent was good, but the reality was that the rather intense conversations that happen on an internet board did not sit well. They soon walked away. The partners (mainly CoE) did not like the anonymity component at all.

The fact of no advertising is a direct result of this original partnership in 2004. It was meant to be a free site to encourage discussion amongst all Edmontonians.

The problem of litigation is not the likelihood of success, it is the effort and costs associated in getting to that outcome. Furthermore, when one of you says something that gets this site into hot water, and then when I (or others) ask you to defend your position (esp when the person offended starts legal action), 99% of the time the person starting the war runs away (often telling me to go **** myself).

I did have today as the last day of C2E (communicated to the rest of the team). I am not for drama, so when advice started pouring in, I backed off as I did not communicate this date to the C2E community as a whole with advanced notice. Going offline like that is unfair, and having a beg-a-thon is also unfair IMO.

I've paid for the server for another month, so I will take this advice, and other consulting that has come my way, & I will take another look at all of this.
    Ow

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by accountingsucks View Post

Could this site not easily be monitized? I would think it could easily bring in $3k a month in ad revenue.
    I think it is time for that...
    Ow

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    No. There's an Admin and I trust the discretion & decision. Because it's his board.

/end
    Thank you.

Refereeing is not easy, and I know some decisions upset a few. There are also a couple long standing things I have let slide for far too long. That ends.
    Ow

I declined a request to help out with some form of admin/moderating duties at the beginning of c2e, having known first hand much of the unappealing aspects of such a position. It's obviously not something just anyone can do effectively. So I'll add my understated and overdue notice of appreciation (while there's still time) to those committed to the cause.

No, no. Thank you.

... eighthundredpixelspersidelimitwouldbebetter ...

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Pixel size noted. Thanks!

The next software will autosize pictures.
    Ow

You should really do donation for funds. I've never given it a second thought for a website I use a lot of, and I'm sure there's many other's here that are willing to help out too.

https://donate.wikimedia.org/w/index....wikipedia.org

Could something similar be setup? Sure, its not going to cover all the expenses right away...

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

That is part of the thought process. thanks for this!
    Ow