Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Existing Royal Alberta Museum - Redevelopment | Discussion

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by LoebsPeugot208 View Post
    I wonder who would need to be contacted to let a group in for a couple hours? This could be something unique and special.
    I'll dig into this tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LoebsPeugot208 View Post
    I wonder who would need to be contacted to let a group in for a couple hours? This could be something unique and special.
    I'll dig into this tomorrow.

This is cool, guys.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Quote Originally Posted by River Valley Green View Post
    Wow, more people are upset about this than horse racing leaving. At least people aren't losing their livelihoods.
    Is the Province losing the Balzac track?

Plus we know Northlands is trying to repurpose the building, and I think that's what you're seeing here too, people wanting to retain/repurpose the structure.

Time moves on, trends rise and fall, (RAM rising, horse racing falling) but what gets left behind can be even more fun for things that take their place.

Maybe it could be turned into a head office for some company, or for several crown corporations to occupy, or a server farm. A sever farm with a marble interior.

Keeping the exterior intact and building up... Could be a very nice luxury housing complex. The main floor could be shops, the basement(s) could be fitness facilities, etc.

Or Parks and Recreation and/or Alberta Environment (whatever they are all called now) could locate to the building since it overlooks a beautiful natural area.
    Last edited by KC; 08-03-2016 at 09:19 PM.

Petition - Numbers are slowly climbing...

Petitioning Alberta Infrastructure

Save the Museum Building in Old Glenora

June Acorn Canada

https://www.change.org/p/alberta-inf...in-old-glenora

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Petition - Numbers are slowly climbing...

Petitioning Alberta Infrastructure

Save the Museum Building in Old Glenora

June Acorn Canada

https://www.change.org/p/alberta-inf...in-old-glenora

They should use it as a library .
    live for happiness because without it everything seems ho hum

^ With the exhibit space twice the size of the Milner, not including the basement that Tom tells us may be four levels deep?

It would make for fantastic study spaces, but that's killing ants with a tank.

Including said basements, it would be the largest public library in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    ^ With the exhibit space twice the size of the Milner, not including the basement that Tom tells us may be four levels deep?

It would make for fantastic study spaces, but that's killing ants with a tank.

Including said basements, it would be the largest public library in the country.
    I was in it twice in my life elementary school field trip and when I was 20 don't really remember the inside well . I do remember a big dinosaur in there though and a lot of native artifacts and some animal displays, never realized it was that big.
    live for happiness because without it everything seems ho hum

^ Fair enough.

By my rough calculations, its footprint is less than a quarter smaller than the Shaw Conference Centre.

It's a seriously large structure.

^ Fair enough.

By my rough calculations, its footprint is less than a quarter smaller than the Shaw Conference Centre.

So repurposing could involve several alternative uses at the same time. This could really make the place interesting and add a lot of character to the city through various synergies.

I'd love to know more about the basements.

I wonder what was written up about it in the 1960s when it was under construction.

A bit of history:

In 1962, the Government of Alberta established a Museums Branch under the Department of the Provincial Secretary to guide the government in the establishment of a Provincial Museum and a Provincial Archive. The Branch began to accept records from government and private sources in 1963, and a year later in 1964, major acquisitions – such as the Harry Pollard photographic collection – were made by the newly established Provincial Archives.

In 1965, Hugh A. Taylor was appointed Provincial Archivist and work began on Phase I of the construction of the new Provincial Museum and Archives building on the 5.5 hectare (13 ½ acre) Government House site in the Glenora community of Edmonton. Archives holdings that had previously been kept at the Legislative Library were moved along with Museum collections to Beaver House at 10158-103 Street.

In 1966, construction on Phase II of the new building took place. Also in 1966, the first Provincial Archives Act was passed, under which the Public Documents Committee was established. This same year, the recruitment of technical and professional staff for the Provincial Archives began in earnest.

The Provincial Museum and Archives officially opened their new building in Glenora, constructed under the Confederation Memorial Grants program, on December 6, 1967. More technical, professional and administrative staff members were added during the year, and acquisitions continued to grow.

In the 1990s, it became clear the Provincial Archives had outgrown its space when it started warehousing collections, and the need for a new building became apparent. The Archives officially opened the doors to its new location, an impressive 11,000 square metre building situated on a six hectare (14.8 acre) site in southeast Edmonton on Roper Road. Funding for the construction of the new building was made possible through grants from the Alberta Centennial Legacy Project Program.

http://culture.alberta.ca/paa/about/ourhistory.aspx
    Last edited by KC; 11-03-2016 at 04:42 AM.

^ Fair enough.

Not sure what this includes:
    211,000 square feet: Size of old building

There's a lot of information in this article:
    After 48 years, there's a lot of history to pack up at the Royal Alberta Museum

Residents were assured of new and improved landscaping to separate the building from the avenue. Also scuttled in the face of fierce protests were plans to add a 300-foot pylon on the site, topped by “a 64-seat luxury restaurant providing a commanding view of the river valley.” (Edmonton Journal, Jume 2, 1965)

“We’re more than doubling our exhibition space, from 40,000 square feet to just over 81,000 square feet. In fact, everything is double. The building downtown is twice the size of this one,” says Robinson.

Nearly 14 million: Visitors in 48 years

40,000: Annual visits by schoolchildren

http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/st...ml?id=11566831
    Other info off the web:

Poole Construction started construction in Sept 1965
    Interior: Marble and oak and thermally treated black granite
    Exterior: Tyndall limestone and selected fossil limestone on the south wall

This mentions condo development and museum of Edmonton:
    RAM Redux
    http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...-a-used-museum

Just had to add this (see below)
    Note American limestone (not like Canadian limestone on the old building) and a desire to create a building that will last.

Massive new Royal Alberta Museum building in Edmonton nearly complete - Edmonton | Globalnews.ca

The price tag for the project comes in at just over $375 million. Elements have been incorporated to ensure the new facility has a lasting presence.

“We got very durable finishes and materials throughout,” said Thurston. “Indiana limestone on the outside. Lots of glazing. Stone inside.”

http://globalnews.ca/news/2472216/ma...arly-complete/
    Last edited by KC; 11-03-2016 at 05:30 AM.

The Nature Nut...
    "June’s son John Acorn,..."

Edmonton resident starts online petition to save Royal Alberta Museum - Edmonton | Globalnews.ca

http://globalnews.ca/news/2567511/ed...lberta-museum/

~
    Last edited by KC; 11-03-2016 at 05:14 AM.

I'm stealing a post from another thread, but I thought this is a great bit of symbolism for Edmonton's demolishing of all its old structures thinking that what we replace them with will be superior.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post

http://www.pri.org/stories/2012-08-2...s-fresco-spain

Remember that woman who took the painting of Jesus home to restore it. ...

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Somebody suggested this up thread, I love the idea.

Mayor Don Iveson says Edmonton is an ideal location for a national museum of aboriginal heritage — and he thinks it could become a reality at the old location of the Royal Alberta Museum.
    http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...um-in-edmonton

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post
    Somebody suggested this up thread, I love the idea.

Mayor Don Iveson says Edmonton is an ideal location for a national museum of aboriginal heritage — and he thinks it could become a reality at the old location of the Royal Alberta Museum.
    http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...um-in-edmonton
    That would be very good. I went to a few in the northern US that were very interesting.

C2E SME

I wonder what kind of funding would be available for something like this.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

The current PM seems to be just as passionate about improving the relationship with the aboriginal community, so this could actually be one of the uses that has a good shot at getting significant federal funding

I don't think you are going to get any cash from the province for anything discretionary at this point.

I like the idea a lot though. I think if not this, the site is going to sit for at least 5-10 years.

If ever there was a solid case for crowd funding or public contributions this is it. I would contribute to this cause. I think many feel similarly.

Keep this heritage facility to maintain the heritage of this land. What could be a more appropriate use?
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I really don't think the old museum is that WOW of a building. It looks like a manufacturing plant with the offices upstairs. Anywho, I read that the new downtown museum is going to have a dedicate space with more artifacts and displays of indigenous culture. The same article stated that Fort Edmonton Park was also going to incorporate a native area in it's new renovation plan. Unfortunately I cannot find the article.

Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

First One is Always Free

Once upon a time, I had this idea...

"A cultural capital needs an art gallery that showcases the best work of its local contemporary artists. While the Art Gallery of Alberta's exhibition mandate (not to mention construction budget) may have greatly expanded, the exhibition space and gallery staff will unfortunately not do the same in the new building. As the AGA turns towards historical, provincial, and international exhibitions, a Contemporary Art Gallery of Edmonton can take up the home-town torch, and focus on showing and promoting the best works from local professional artists right here in Edmonton...."

In the context of the old PMA/RAM building, I'd alter this suggestion somewhat, and call for a more general Arts Center of Edmonton (ACE). Obviously, the building is already designed and equipped to store collections and mount exhibitions: an ideal set-up for visual/media arts programming. With a permanent collection and exhibition space, the City of Edmonton can begin to focus earnestly on building a broadly representative, reputable art collection, allowing the flexibility to invest in genres of art other than large scale "public art" installations, and support and promote diverse local artists and craftspeople. The auditorium could present lectures, films, performances. Speaking from personal experience, the south terrace makes an excellent exhibition venue for sculptures, with an environment not very dissimilar to the rooftop sculpture garden of the Met. Alberta artist Luke Lindoe's Petroglyph Mural on the limestone wall is an immovable artpiece, already in place. To repurpose the space as a center for arts would allow its new function to follow naturally from its current form.

Just an idea, I'll live it with y'all...

I really don't think the old museum is that WOW of a building. It looks like a manufacturing plant with the offices upstairs. Anywho, I read that the new downtown museum is going to have a dedicate space with more artifacts and displays of indigenous culture. The same article stated that Fort Edmonton Park was also going to incorporate a native area in it's new renovation plan. Unfortunately I cannot find the article.

I think it's like the old kitchen debate. We have Arborite countertops and think they are very sensible and practical. Seems that most people we know though have put in granite or some stone as they perceive greater benefits from having it as a countertop. So, even though I love stone I wouldn't pay any more for a granite kitchen than an Arborite topped kitchen because of where it was used. Similarly, we had stainless steel appliances where the stainless steel was on the inside (convection microwave, dishwasher). They were white on the outside.

In terms of the museum, I love the use of the stone so I highly value it.

I get your connection to the stone but the design of the building looks like a Bob's glorified carpet emporium. It really is nothing spectacular or appealing. In fact, when you look at it in the shot I provided it adds nothing to the scenery. The car park does not help either.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

I guess if one was ever approaching the old RAM from a helicopter one would have this take on it.

But from an in person pov the build was impressive. The entire south wall of limestone was also hand picked for fossils. So that that entire side of the museum, as you approach, you can be looking at fossils in the limestone quarried walls, or amazed at the pictographs, or art work. Then you went into an inviting building with slate floors (again could look for fossils) which brought you to a spectacular mezzanine atrium the likes of which were only elsewhere seen at the Legislature at the time. Beautiful series of Bronzed sculptures framed with curved floor to 2nd floor ceiling beautiful marble walls. Wow, first time I looked at that I couldn't stop looking. For my $ this building at the time was 2nd only to the Leg. Plus all the use of sedimentary fossilized rock, to many, so reflected what a Museum should depict. Worked on so many levels. This was a build that interacted better at eye level, actually looking close at it.
    Last edited by Replacement; 27-09-2016 at 12:09 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by AUsenik View Post
    The current PM seems to be just as passionate about improving the relationship with the aboriginal community, so this could actually be one of the uses that has a good shot at getting significant federal funding

I don't think you are going to get any cash from the province for anything discretionary at this point.

I like the idea a lot though. I think if not this, the site is going to sit for at least 5-10 years.
    If the Province would provide the land and building, I think that would be more than adequate.

Quote Originally Posted by marccountry View Post
    Once upon a time, I had this idea...

"A cultural capital needs an art gallery that showcases the best work of its local contemporary artists. While the Art Gallery of Alberta's exhibition mandate (not to mention construction budget) may have greatly expanded, the exhibition space and gallery staff will unfortunately not do the same in the new building. As the AGA turns towards historical, provincial, and international exhibitions, a Contemporary Art Gallery of Edmonton can take up the home-town torch, and focus on showing and promoting the best works from local professional artists right here in Edmonton...."

In the context of the old PMA/RAM building, I'd alter this suggestion somewhat, and call for a more general Arts Center of Edmonton (ACE). Obviously, the building is already designed and equipped to store collections and mount exhibitions: an ideal set-up for visual/media arts programming. With a permanent collection and exhibition space, the City of Edmonton can begin to focus earnestly on building a broadly representative, reputable art collection, allowing the flexibility to invest in genres of art other than large scale "public art" installations, and support and promote diverse local artists and craftspeople. The auditorium could present lectures, films, performances. Speaking from personal experience, the south terrace makes an excellent exhibition venue for sculptures, with an environment not very dissimilar to the rooftop sculpture garden of the Met. Alberta artist Luke Lindoe's Petroglyph Mural on the limestone wall is an immovable artpiece, already in place. To repurpose the space as a center for arts would allow its new function to follow naturally from its current form.

Just an idea, I'll live it with y'all...
    I support your Contemporary Art Gallery of Edmonton concept as much now as ever (completely).

I think though that a National museum of Canada's Aboriginal Peoples is also important.

I see two locations: Old RAM and Rossdale Powerplant. I think Rossdale is more appropriate to Aboriginal culture, so...

But whatever happens, a CAGE remains a valid and important goal, whenever the political stars align.

I wish they would renovate the Remand Centre for the museum and keep it tied into the cultural district. There is also adjacent green areas that can be developed for use and the bike and trail system there. I just don't think the building in Glenora is a good fit for this.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    I wish they would renovate the Remand Centre for the museum and keep it tied into the cultural district. There is also adjacent green areas that can be developed for use and the bike and trail system there. I just don't think the building in Glenora is a good fit for this.
    Good point. Old land use economics and clustering of attractions for synergies.

I still hold though that the old RAM is an incredible asset that could be used for numerous interesting, unique, and value adding purposes - possibly adding greater uniqueness or diversity to Edmonton as a destination than any museum could.

I can't imagine a worse building for a museum than the remand centre. The underground is a warren of small spaces and concrete corridors, and he upper levels are all cells and corridors with no good circulation between. I don't know much of the main floor but that's the only part that would have even a chance.

It would be a fine location for a museum, but not in that building.
    There can only be one.

^ agreed.

Now the Rossdale Powerplant on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    I can't imagine a worse building for a museum than the remand centre. The underground is a warren of small spaces and concrete corridors, and he upper levels are all cells and corridors with no good circulation between. I don't know much of the main floor but that's the only part that would have even a chance.

It would be a fine location for a museum, but not in that building.
    A repurposed Remand as a museum? I'd say it would depend on what you were going to put into it. The scale of some museum pieces might dictate exactly that type of display space.

If it were say a technology/communications museum, cell or expanded former cells could hold things like each company's smartphone production line. Others for the history of the TV, telephones, etc. Hence lighting could be carefully tailored to the type and use of each device on display.

Possible source of ideas via these links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Types_of_museum

The old RAM could hold a variety of functions.

Residents fret over fate of former Royal Alberta Museum

BILL MAH
    More from Bill Mah
    Published on: October 26, 2016

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...alberta-museum

C2E Long Term Contributor

What to do with the old RAM:

https://www.alberta.ca/glenora-building.aspx
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E SME

Not sure I see the point in that exercise, given the total lack of information on what the building's current condition is and the future expected life, maintenance costs and the like. There's basically no information given there.

It was once a park. It should go back to being a park. The current building and massive parking lot detracts from the otherwise beautiful area. Sure, it's not a bad looking building, but it's not anything extraordinary. Maybe it's a bit extraordinary for Edmonton, but that says more about the city than it says about the building.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Not sure I see the point in that exercise, given the total lack of information on what the building's current condition is and the future expected life, maintenance costs and the like. There's basically no information given there.
    The point of the exercise is probably to avoid ruining Paula Simons' Christmas. Judging by today's column, seems to be working so far.

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

The Hotel Macdonald lasted 68 yrs before it was closed and slated for destruction in 1983. They sure don’t build them like they used to.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    The Hotel Macdonald lasted 68 yrs before it was closed and slated for destruction in 1983. They sure don’t build them like they used to.

Sometimes its better that we don't build like that. Had a 1914 school we were renovating, lets just say there were a number of original structural issues covered up over the years. Ian might remember it.

the new technology works great if used correctly.

That is the myth isn’t it? The buildings that weren’t built “that way” have long since fallen over and eradicated from memory.

^I don't think the RAM is in very good condition, I've always thought it seems a bit of a dump / not that well built aside from some nice stone on the outside. Moving discussion:

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^Thanks, I made my suggestion. Demolish it (not practical to maintain), but take the stone and use it for facades of brownstones on the location for affordable accommodation.
    Your kidding right?
    No - Glenora could do with some children / young families and this is right by the school / good transit / shopping. The park and government building would maintained, most of the parking lot converted to grass, and put a row or two of terrace housing along 102, taking some of the stone / materials and perhaps even design elements from the RAM in the construction (façade), as a tribute to it, but with modern technology / energy efficiency. I've long believed affordable housing should be spread throughout the city, to give people more opportunity to escape poverty rather than concentrating in certain neighborhoods, and a lot of people in Glenora feel the same way - the community might even get behind it. Many cities do these projects now in mature neighborhoods on surplus land, and done right, they can bring some vitality, help local schools, and even pay for themselves, by having a mix of higher end for profit units aimed at successful young couples / families (perhaps a row facing the park / river valley), and affordable ones (a row facing the road). Its a unique opportunity, I'm sure it will be wasted though because Edmonton, unlike many other cities today, has of late only done such projects in lower income areas like the inner North (Blatchford) and NE (Boyle / McCauley).
    Last edited by moahunter; 22-12-2017 at 11:06 AM.

I agree with moa, the exterior materials and some interior materials should be recycled elsewhere, but this is essentially a fairly normal 60s design, nothing too spectacular or unique.

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    I agree with moa, the exterior materials and some interior materials should be recycled elsewhere, but this is essentially a fairly normal 60s design, nothing too spectacular or unique.
    If so, what is spectacular or unique in this city?

Almost all buildings are just dressed up boxes anyways.

Today glass towers are popular but no different than in hundreds of other cities.

The old RAM’s stone exterior cleaning. No building looks good after allowing a couple decades of grime to buildup, even textured surfaces like stone, brick and concrete.

I am curious what the replacement value of the stone exterior alone would be now?

For spectacular and unique all you need to do is look next door... Government House

For spectacular and unique all you need to do is look next door... Government House
    I like that too. Still, it too is a pretty conventional design, though but rare in Edmonton.

http://capitalmodernedmonton.com/wp-...Image_0001.jpg

Provincial Museum of Alberta — 1967 | Capital Modern Edmonton
    “...
    The Museum building combines traditional materials with the pervading architectural language of the day — Brutalism. The building is faced in several different cuts of Tyndall stone, incorporating the native petroglyph designs of the stone which is quarried in southern Manitoba. The building is articulated as a ‘jewel box’ or a grand fortress designed to protect its valuable contents. It acts as a filtering envelope – controlling people, light and climate – in order to care for its environmentally sensitive holdings. This approach is similar to Don Bittorf and Jim Wensley’s Edmonton Art Gallery, which also manipulates the entry of natural daylight into the gallery setting. “

http://capitalmodernedmonton.com/bui...vincialmuseum/
    Last edited by KC; 23-12-2017 at 03:24 PM.

Kind of ironic comment when you consider how bland the new Provincial Museum is. I always loved this building and the design and finishes inside and out. Love the use of natural, and natural looking materials. I absolutely abhor the exteriors of the New museum which looks like concrete.

For many people, and including the thousands that flocked in on the final weekend of the old Provincial Museum to see the darling one more time there is a love affair with the building and design. For me that museum won't be replaced and certainly isn't with the hideous looking thing DT.

I haven’t been up close to the RAM, but something like Tyndall stone was to be used on it, sourced out of the states so not Canadian Tyndall stone.

The provincial museum - soon to be a memory:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ildings-01.jpg

I think it would be a crime to rip down another unique historic structure in Edmonton and I too really like the old museum inside and out, but this is Edmonton and we (of should I say the decision makers) just don’t value history, old structures or anything of that nature here. If the Hotel MacDonald could have been slated for destruction and others successfully destroyed (like the old downtown law courts, etc.) then that’s just the intrinsic short-term nature of our local culture and society.

Example:
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post

Michael Parkatti ‏@mparkatti 1h1 hour ago
    Remember when we lost this dope Courthouse for a ****** mall with a Winners? Me neither. Thx, "Greatest Generation".

Not all that long ago they were keen and successful at removing this old outdated building. I’d love to be able to find a discussion rationalizing it’s demolition. Probably thoughts like; it’s just old, dirty, stodgy, costly, outdated in design, colonial and not reflective of youthful Edmonton, not clean and modern, not suitable for any other use... and of course, needs a new roof, windows and furnace.

http://www.archivesalberta.org/walls...dmcourt_md.jpg

In the case of the above, is this what we have now in its place?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...c_edmonton.jpg
    Last edited by KC; 23-12-2017 at 05:54 PM.

Does anyone have a copy of the original Museum expansion plan? I can't seem to find it anywhere but if I recall correctly they had envisioned a gorgeous slopping glass viewpoint that "stepped" down to the river.

Would love it if whatever this ends up becoming could incorporate that vision...

Had an early morning walk through the grounds this morning. Many items of interest on the grounds, beautiful views of the river valley. It reinforces my opinion that this land should remain as is and even be expanded into the old parking areas to a formal gardens, much like Buchart Gardens in Victoria or Edwards Gardens in Toronto. I nice tea house perhaps. Outdoor skating and curling rinks in the winter with heated seating areas, coffee and hot chocolate. maybe even a rope tow up the hill in Government House park for tobogganers...heck, maybe even a gondola connecting this to Hawrelak Park by the pond. As for the old RAM building?...well I really don't have an answer to that one, I'll leave that to someone with more imagination than I.
    Last edited by buildings; 09-08-2018 at 07:08 PM.

I'd love a grand park there.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by buildings View Post
    Had an early morning walk through the grounds this morning. Many items of interest on the grounds, beautiful views of the river valley. It reinforces my opinion that this land should remain as is and even be expanded into the old parking areas to a formal gardens, much like Buchart Gardens in Victoria or Edwards Gardens in Toronto. I nice tea house perhaps. Outdoor skating and curling rinks in the winter with heated seating areas, coffee and hot chocolate. maybe even a rope tow up the hill in Government House park for tobogganers...heck, maybe even a gondola connecting this to Hawrelak Park by the pond. As for the old RAM building?...well I really don't have an answer to that one, I'll leave that to someone with more imagination than I.
    Your comment about Hawrelak Park got me thinking about the old ram building and using it for some sort of heritage museum ie all the different cultures that came to this part of the world and built this city and province. Starting with the British/French to the Europeans then on to the more recent cultures that are building our city now.

The other alternative would be some form of military museum ie war hero’s of Edmonton along with static displays.

Certainly would tie into the government house

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    I'd love a grand park there.
    I think that is a great idea. Government House needs to stay - but an expanded botanical garden park would be wonderful. I don't think a place with picnic facilities or play and extensive grass area is appropriate since Government House is used daily.

Sell government house and turn the site into a gated community.

Since this thread came up again...

How about saving the valuable stone work, and turn the site into an outdoor ampitheatre, with the back of the stage along 102 Avenue. The stone work would be use to provide the sound barriers to 102 Avenue, shore up the dressing rooms, washrooms, lighting stands, and use the stone work for the sunken bleacher seating and stage.

At of course, being all stone, you can have real fires lit for performances, maybe something in the winter too.

Shakespear in the park could move (and given the treatment the Heritage Festival is getting from the City...who's next to get hit at Hawrelak?)

The whole site I think could use a parking lot diet. I like the gardens/park idea. As for Government House, it needs to be repurposed back into the Lieutenant Governor's residence with the main floor kept for formal events.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jackson View Post
    Since this thread came up again...
    How about saving the valuable stone work, and turn the site into an outdoor ampitheatre, with the back of the stage along 102 Avenue. The stone work would be use to provide the sound barriers to 102 Avenue, shore up the dressing rooms, washrooms, lighting stands, and use the stone work for the sunken bleacher seating and stage.
    I like your idea. The notion of projecting images of art or even movies on the north wall comes to mind.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123