Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324 LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,300 of 2365

Thread: State of the world, state sponsored terror, terror and war in general

His grandfather would be shocked and embarrassed. What a despicable human being. His grand-father, Nathan Phillips, was known as "the mayor of all the people". Nathan Phillips square in front of City Hall in Toronto is named for him.

Bat-wielding racist caught screaming about ISIS in viral video outed as rich lawyer from influential family

CBC News has learned the man charged in connection with a baseball bat attack on an immigrant family is a Toronto personal injury lawyer and the great-grandson of former Toronto mayor Nathan Phillips.

Mark Phillips, 36, was charged on Dec. 8 with aggravated assault and three counts of assault with a weapon in connection with the incident in the parking lot of a St. Thomas, Ont., strip mall.

The family said the man charged at them, unprovoked, before they recorded the confrontation on a cellphone, which has been widely circulated through news outlets and social media.

The video shows a man yelling about terrorists, ISIS and swinging his bat, leaving local man Sergio Estepa with a cracked rib and severe bruising on his back.

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/12/bat...ential-family/

There is an attempted revolution going on in Iran right now. Iranians are sick of living under Islamic theocratic rule.

Not as much coverage in the news or online as there should be due to media and internet blackouts by those in power.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    There is an attempted revolution going on in Iran right now. Iranians are sick of living under Islamic theocratic rule.

Not as much coverage in the news or online as there should be due to media and internet blackouts by those in power.
    Those are blanket gross generalizations. I’d bet that rarely if ever are all citizens tired of whatever system they are under. There’s always a lot of people benefiting, or at least not losing, from the current system no matter what it is.

So my guess is that only some Iranians are tired of living under something and it’s a big assumption to think it’s Islamic theocratic rule that they are tired of and not just the current set of rulers.

In the end I wonder if it won’t just turn out to be a replay of the Turkey clamp down. A few shots ring out and then everyone gets arrested and a great purge takes place.

Telegram suspends channel for encouraging violent Iran protests

“The incident highlights the fine line Telegram has to walk. It doesn't want to be seen as supporting an oppressive government, especially one that wants to spy on Telegram users, but it also has to maintain a consistent anti-violence policy. If it's going to ban ISIS, it also has to ban activists that explicitly set out to hurt others, even if it ultimately helps governments silence resistance movements. Durov has been quick to object to complaints from Edward Snowden and other that he was facilitating Iran's crackdown on dissent, noting that "thousands" of Iranian opposition channels are "thriving" on Telegram.”

https://www.engadget.com/2017/12/30/...iran-protests/

Protests Continue In Iran : NPR

“Two years after many sanctions were lifted, money has reached Iran's Revolutionary Guards and some elites but has not trickled down to street level. These protests are nowhere near as large as the ones in 2009, but they are spreading day by day. They began over economic complaints but have quickly grown into general anger at the clerical and military establishment that maintains a firm grip on power. ...”

https://www.npr.org/2017/12/31/57485...ntinue-in-iran
    Last edited by KC; 31-12-2017 at 07:01 PM.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers

It's been all over what little news there is at this time of year. Most of the newsrooms on the planet are operating with skeleton crews until tomorrow. You really have a warped view of news media making such a claim, when Iran is on the front page of every major international news organization's website.

In any case, hopefully some change for the good will come of the protests, and not too many are killed or injured. And hopefully Trump keeps his mouth shut and stays out of it, because the regime will be only too happy to label the protesters as foreign agents of the Great Satan and crack down that much harder. Whoops, too late. Looks like he already squeezed a couple tweets out with his morning constitutional.

^it brings up an interesting philisophical issue though. Should counties cut deals with totalitarian regimes that help those regimes survive but at least the people have some wealth, or should we say no, and let the people suffer but hopefully the regime will collapse? Obama’s view is the former, Trumps is the later. If the Islamic regime in Iran loses power, then Trump may be right, but if not, then Obama’s approach made more sense. I don’t think there is a right answer that fits all situations, the US uses a mix of both approaches around the world (contrast Saudi Arabia and China with North Korea and Cuba), the EU countries tend to always appease.
    Last edited by moahunter; 01-01-2018 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post

You really have a warped view of news media making such a claim, when Iran is on the front page of every major international news organization's website.
    Why are you attacking me?

It is a FACT that there are all kinds of communication blackouts in Iran during these protests! There is not very much news about what is happening there because there is so very limited information available to us. They are preventing information from being spread. That was a fact when I posted it and it is a fact now.

I cannot even believe you would dispute that (probably just because I posted it).

You really have a warped view of news media making such a claim, when Iran is on the front page of every major international news organization's website.

It is a FACT that there are all kinds of communication blackouts in Iran during these protests! There is not very much news about what is happening there because there is so very limited information available to us. They are preventing information from being spread. That was a fact when I posted it and it is a fact now.

I cannot even believe you would dispute that (probably just because I posted it).

Iran restricts social media networks used by protesters | Euronews
    http://www.euronews.com/2017/12/31/i...-by-protesters

“There Is No Backup Plan”: Inside the Information War for Control of Iran | Vanity Fair

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018...-iran-protests

Watch, “purportedly” appears then disappears. And note that there’s always a death sentence available when words hurt.

Pro-Government Supporters Take To Iran's Streets In Wake Of Antigovernment Protests

WATCH: Tens of thousands of Iranians have purportedly rallied in support of the government in several cities following several days of antiregime protests and deadly clashes between demonstrators and security forces that have left at least 22 dead. (AP/Iran Press)

Tens of thousands of Iranians have rallied in support of the government in several cities following several days of protests and deadly clashes between demonstrators and security forces that have left at least 22 dead.

“The Intelligence Ministry has said that "rioters and instigators" had been identified "and will be dealt with seriously soon," and the head of Tehran's Revolutionary Court, Mousa Ghazanfarabadi, was quoted on January 2 by Tasnim as saying that one of the charges protesters face can be "moharebeh," or waging war against God, which carries the death penalty as a sentence.”

https://www.rferl.org/a/iran-protest.../28952651.html

Media of Iran - Wikipedia

“The government engages in censorship programs to anything divergent from the country's regulations.[4][5] The majority of Iranians- upwards of 80 percent- get their news from government-owned media.[6]Attempts to establish private, independent media outlets in Iran have been restricted or banned, and Reporters Without Frontiers has declared Iran to have the highest number of jailed journalists in the Middle East. According to the 1979 Iranian Constitution, all broadcasting must exclusively be government-operated, and in 1994 the Islamic state banned the use of satellite television.[7] Yet, over 30 percent of Iranians watch satellite channels.[8] “

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_of_Iran

Interesting but rather off topic:

Iran news agency gives Charlize Theron a polo neck in altered Oscars footage | Film | The Guardian

“The news clip was shared by My Stealthy Freedom, a lobbying organisation aiming to raise awareness of state rules in Iran which dictate that women should be flogged or imprisoned for failure to wear the hijab.

The founder of the group, Masih Alinejad, condemned the censorship on the organisation’s Facebook page. “Another typical example of the Islamic Republic’s fear of naked arms of Iranian women,” she wrote. “It is shameful indeed, but that is how the Iranian media outlets based within the country have been covering such events for years.

“At a time when Farhadi chooses an astronaut and Nasa scientist to prove a point about human rights not having ‘borders’, the Islamic Republic of Iran does the complete opposite by using Farhadi’s wonderful Oscars statement for their own propaganda while blind to the meaning of his point.”

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...rhadi-salesman

Bolding mine
    Last edited by KC; 03-01-2018 at 07:12 AM.

No separation of religion and state. Or, the more things change, the more they remain the same.

Hirabah - Wikipedia
    “Between the end of early days of the 1979 Islamic Revolution, when scores of former officials of the Shah and others were arrested and executed for moharebeh,[34] and the beginning of the 2009 election protests, executions for moharebeh were rare, and usually applied against members of armed opposition/terrorist groups, Kurdish separatists, or common criminals.[16]

In recent years, Iranians executed after being charged with Moharebeh include...”

Shia cleric Hossein Kazemeyni Boroujerdi, known for preaching that religion is separate from politics, was reportedly charged with Moharebeh in 2007 by Iran's Special Court for the Clergy,[35] but had his sentence reduced to 11 years in prison after an appeal. ....”

“According to at least one journalist (Brian Murphy), the Iranian Islamic regime's use of moharebeh against 2009 election protesters has "opened deep rifts between ruling clerics and Islamic scholars questioning how an idea about safeguarding Muslims can be transformed into a tool to punish political protesters." Ayatollah Mostafa Mohaghegh Damad has reportedly sought to "rally clerics to oppose the use of moharebeh charges against political protesters."[16]”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hirabah

Ruhollah Khomeini - Wikipedia
    “This was his most famous and influential work, and laid out his ideas on governance (at that time):

That the laws of society should be made up only of the laws of God (Sharia), which cover "all human affairs" and "provide instruction and establish norms" for every "topic" in "human life."[85]

Since Shariah, or Islamic law, is the proper law, those holding government posts should have knowledge of Sharia. Since Islamic jurists or faqih have studied and are the most knowledgeable in Sharia, the country's ruler should be a faqih who "surpasses all others in knowledge" of Islamic law and justice,[86](known as a marja'), as well as having intelligence and administrative ability. Rule by monarchs and/or assemblies of "those claiming to be representatives of the majority of the people" (i.e. elected parliaments and legislatures) has been proclaimed "wrong" by Islam.[87]

This system of clerical rule is necessary to prevent injustice, corruption, oppression by the powerful over the poor and weak, innovation and deviation of Islam and Sharia law; and also to destroy anti-Islamic influence and conspiracies by non-Muslim foreign powers.[88]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruhollah_Khomeini

Last edited by KC; 03-01-2018 at 07:45 AM.

C2E SME

My bad, I mis-read your original post, then. I had assumed you were, as usual, complaining about the "mainstream", Western media not covering the issue. I didn't realize you were referring to Iran's own non-existent independent media.

Demonstrates the importance of a free and independent press.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Iran used to have a democratically elected government, free press, separation of church and state and equality for women. That ended when the US overthrew the government, installed the Shah and set the stage for the Revolution of 1979.

Ambulance bomb - very sneaky:

Kabul attack: Taliban kill 95 with ambulance bomb in Afghan capital - BBC News

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-42843897

Sound familiar?
    Netanyahu blasts media 'witch hunt' as police announce new investigation

Jerusalem (CNN)In a pre-emptive strike, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu blamed media "pressure" for a new police investigation, less than a week after police said they had enough evidence to indict the Israeli leader for corruption in two separate cases.

In a statement issued Sunday night, Netanyahu said, "The media witch hunt continues with all its might. After the air came out of Case 1000 and Case 2000 and after it became clear that there is absolutely no air in Case 3000, the media put tremendous pressure to inflate another balloon -- [Case] 4000. Also from this [case], all the air will come out."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/18/world...ion/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    How come anywhere else in the western world when a (Islam) foreigner drives a rented vehicle into people, killing them while shouting "Allah Akbar!" with perhaps an ISIS flag hanging from a window its deemed terrorism within hours. Everywhere except here in Cuckified Canada with our Cuck Prime Minister where no terrorism charges have been laid regarding Edmonton's attack last month.

Talk about making me ill.
    Yeah I don’t understand how any of it works. Murderer vs serial murderer vs mass murderer vs terrorist murderer...

The Las Vegas guy sure seemed to create terror in my view. What’s the difference? Just label him a terrorist.

This guy today may have been mentally ill (aren't all murderers) and sure fits the definition by killing a lot of innocent people for some inexplicable reason (misguided religious reasons or political or just to highlight his own twisted phoney belief system). This guy even had a beard as a CNN commentator pointed out. So there was no problem labelling him a terrorist from the get go.

Back into the semantics debate:

Attack suspect doesn’t meet ‘not-criminally responsible’ threshold | Edmonton Journal

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/crim...-to-enter-plea

Mental-health assessments deem Edmonton attack suspect fit to face trial | Toronto Star

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...ace-trial.html

Things are getting scarier in Syria again.

Russia is blaming the UK for staging the most recent (alleged) chemical attack:

https://apnews.com/53e49e0d09c44436a...a-staged-by-UK

I'd rather C2E than work!

Things are getting scarier in Syria again.

Russia is blaming the UK for staging the most recent (alleged) chemical attack:

https://apnews.com/53e49e0d09c44436a...a-staged-by-UK
    Mr KGB is nuts!

According to some, the chemical attacks were planned by Hillary Clinton from her bunker under a pizza joint. FCOL
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

If another chemical attack actually occurred, you have to wonder who is behind it. because whoever did it, wants fighting and international crisis over Syria to continue.

Say what you want about Assad, but it would be highly irrational for him to start using chemical weapons while everything was starting to go his way.

C2E SME

"start"? He's used them consistently throughout the conflict.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

^ I recall Assad using them before as well....am I mistaken?
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

"start"? He's used them consistently throughout the conflict.
    Restart

If another chemical attack actually occurred, you have to wonder who is behind it. because whoever did it, wants fighting and international crisis over Syria to continue.

Say what you want about Assad, but it would be highly irrational for him to start using chemical weapons while everything was starting to go his way.
    On first thought yes. However it seems he did it before when things could have gone very badly for him - the red line and all, and with Russia announcing that it will defend its allies, this might have been seen as an opportunity to reinforce his power over everyone and the US’s willingness to sit back and do nothing.

Going back in time though, the fact that Obama didn’t act on his red line threat could have been due to some indication that it wasn’t Assad in the first place. That’s still unlikely though. From the start it had seemed that Russia has played a major role in keeping the US out of this battle. Russia was there right at the start, stopping US action when there was a major push to deal with Assad’s chemical weapons.

Personally, I still would not be surprised if Russia is working to have direct control over territories right up to its Syrian base on the Mediterranean.
    Last edited by KC; 13-04-2018 at 02:32 PM.

Obama and his red line, what a pussy!

What did you want Obama to do precisely?

Send in 200,000 troops into a civil war?

or

Nuke the place off the map?

Tell us what you would have done? We are eager to learn from you.

Does anyone else not see the American DNA of interference in all of this?
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    According to some, the chemical attacks were planned by Hillary Clinton from her bunker under a pizza joint. FCOL
    Let me guess ATS or Coast to Coast?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    Does anyone else not see the American DNA of interference in all of this?
    More like the fingerprint then anything else. During the portion of Trumps campaign for President, I was a supporter but now after months of seeing this creature move about, I'm thinking nutcase!

Donald J. Trump

Verified account

@realDonaldTrump
    Follow Follow @realDonaldTrump
    More
    AGAIN, TO OUR VERY FOOLISH LEADER, DO NOT ATTACK SYRIA - IF YOU DO MANY VERY BAD THINGS WILL HAPPEN & FROM THAT FIGHT THE U.S. GETS NOTHING!

6:20 AM - 5 Sep 2013

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/...144384?lang=en

November 13, 2015: “I know more about ISIS than the generals do, believe me.”

June 5, 2016: “[The generals] don’t know much because they’re not winning.”

https://newrepublic.com/minutes/1366...roy-isis-bigly
    Last edited by kkozoriz; 13-04-2018 at 06:04 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

He does? In 2015 Trump was saying that he has better intel then US military intel? What?

Trump is sounding like Charlie Sheen, "winning."

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

More death and no long term solution.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I agree with Trumps response because this has international sanctions. About the only thing he's done right since taking office.

Assad has used chemical weapons 10 times in the past year. Why now? What's happened in the past week since this latest attack that made him decide to act?

Maybe Fox & Friends can give us a clue.

Fox & Friends host drops hint to Trump that bombing Syria would be ‘a bigger story than Comey’s book’
    https://www.rawstory.com/2018/04/fox...y-comeys-book/

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post

Syria could not go on doing what they do, to their own people. Its heartbreaking to see the children . Isn't the UK and France standing with Trump on this.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Yes

Sounds like they only attacked infrastructure that would be used for producing and storing chemical weapons. Also, Russia did not shoot down missiles like they said they would.

Sounds like they only attacked infrastructure that would be used for producing and storing chemical weapons. Also, Russia did not shoot down missiles like they said they would.
    Yeah seems like the Russians chickened out.

"Mission Accomplished" Sounds familiar....

Trump declares 'mission accomplished' in Syria strike
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/14/polit...ike/index.html

Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump declared "mission accomplished" in Friday night's strike on three Syria targets and argued that it "could not have had a better result." "A perfectly executed strike last night," Trump tweeted Saturday. "Thank you to France and the United Kingdom for their wisdom and the power of their fine Military. Could not have had a better result. Mission Accomplished!"
    That's it????

Is that what he means by a "sustained action" against Syria? A single 'one shot' attack that the Il Duce 2.0 telegraphed to Assad for a week?

Oh!, Now I remember where I last heard "Mission Accomplished"...

I don't think he dare!

It didn't happen as America knows that would be the initiation of WW3. As per this supposedly chem attack, it is the US government at their game once more. If we have not learned our lessons from Iraq or 911, we are in trouble in the West.

Here is my opinion why the US is so keen on the Middle East. The notion of Zionists or eletists desire of world control is so inherent. If anyone is familiar with our global geography, which powerful nations borders the Middle East? Russia and China. In order for world dominance, they have to destroy their obstacle s. West Europe is aligned with America which covers Russia from that vantage. The Middle East covers south of Russia and West of China. On the East side of Asia, you have American allies of Japan and S Korea. Vietnam is directly south of China, and they have become America's friend. West of Vietnam, you have Cambodia, Loas, Thailand, India, and Pakistan prior to meeting up with Middle East
    These countries, except Pakistan could be neutral. The only area left for the US to intervene is N Korea. At this stage, America is in dispute with Russia, Syria, Iran, China, and North Korea. Over to North America, there was a reason why they purchased Alaska from Russia historically. That allows coverage to East Russia. The US treasury cannot account for 2 trillion dollars missing which most likely went into space research. Why space research? Those that have air dominance, dominates the world. Why is the US attempting tariffs on China- innitially for the whole world but has changed? China is selling the American dollars left to right and is about to take over them in GDP any time now with 1 billion+ of its population still wanting similiar standings as us in the west. China's global influence is heightening while the US is in massive debt. The US does not want their dollar to lose world value, and want it to remain the world currency as they profit tremendously by that. The world has, in essence, been paying America indirect tariffs for just doing global businesses. China, Russia, and many countries want a new method ( old traditional gold). What does America do? Syria this, Iraq That, and Iran there... North Korea is testing nuclear so no way! Meanwhile the Americans have over two thousand nuclear warheads at their disposals to threaten less capable countries. Where is Iraq's super gun that they invaded them for? How did tower 5 of WCT collapsed when it was involved in the so called terrorism? Regular Americans are the same as everyone globally; their government represents a whole different story. If we think this conflict is over, we are beyond naive. Infact, do research on EMP. Start prepping up for WW3 folks as it will happen within a short time.

Why is Putin with Iran? Oh and with Assad? Oh right..twisted [email protected]

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Russian interests has to do with a lot of factors. One of them is the port of Tartus, which helps to resupply Russia's Mediterranean fleet. There are other reasons why Russia is in Syria:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/rajan...b_3375715.html

I think the Russians and the Assad family have always been allied, but Iran's involvement is more complicated and puzzling. I think in part it is because they have mutual enemies.

Well, this could be awkward. If it is the rebels, what next? They're fighting Assad so that means they're the good guys, right? And where did they get sarin? Syrian troops who defected? Or, like the US did with Saddam, from the west? The Americans turned the other way after giving Iraq the location of Iranian troops, knowing that Saddam intended to gas them with the chemical weapons they were given.

UN Sources Say Syrian Rebels — Not Assad — Used Sarin Gas
    A member of the United Nations commission of inquiry announced on a Swiss-Italian television show that they believe the Syrian rebels have used chemical weapons on Assad's troops.

Well, this complicates matters. It was just ten days ago that the United States shook its fist and officially declared that chemical weapons were being used by the Assad regime against its own people. This indicated that the Syrian government had crossed the "red line" that Obama determined last year and opened the possibility of greater U.S. involvement. But if it was the other way around — if the good guys sprayed sarin gas on the bad guys? That makes assisting the rebels a much more complicated transaction. Chemical weapons are horrible, no doubt about that. And sarin gas is absolutely off limits, according to the Geneva Protocol, and with three reported uses in Syria, it's not like it was an accident. Also, chemical weapons are horrible.

https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...in-gas/315588/
    The original story is from 2013 but it still raises the question, if someone fighting Assad uses chemical weapons, what's the appropriate response? Bomb them? Severe tongue lashing? Look the other way and denounce the evidence as false?

And id they used it in the past, do they still have stocks or a source? If they're using it against Assad then it's not Russia or Iran that's supplying them.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Well, this could be awkward. If it is the rebels, what next? They're fighting Assad so that means they're the good guys, right? And where did they get sarin? Syrian troops who defected? Or, like the US did with Saddam, from the west? The Americans turned the other way after giving Iraq the location of Iranian troops, knowing that Saddam intended to gas them with the chemical weapons they were given.

UN Sources Say Syrian Rebels — Not Assad — Used Sarin Gas
    A member of the United Nations commission of inquiry announced on a Swiss-Italian television show that they believe the Syrian rebels have used chemical weapons on Assad's troops.

Well, this complicates matters. It was just ten days ago that the United States shook its fist and officially declared that chemical weapons were being used by the Assad regime against its own people. This indicated that the Syrian government had crossed the "red line" that Obama determined last year and opened the possibility of greater U.S. involvement. But if it was the other way around — if the good guys sprayed sarin gas on the bad guys? That makes assisting the rebels a much more complicated transaction. Chemical weapons are horrible, no doubt about that. And sarin gas is absolutely off limits, according to the Geneva Protocol, and with three reported uses in Syria, it's not like it was an accident. Also, chemical weapons are horrible.

https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...in-gas/315588/
    The original story is from 2013 but it still raises the question, if someone fighting Assad uses chemical weapons, what's the appropriate response? Bomb them? Severe tongue lashing? Look the other way and denounce the evidence as false?

And id they used it in the past, do they still have stocks or a source? If they're using it against Assad then it's not Russia or Iran that's supplying them.
    This was a 5 year old quote from a person since removed by her own government from the position and never confirmed in any manner? Who do you work for?

Seeing as she was on the UN war crimes investigation up until last fall, I'd say that she's a reliable source. And she's not saying that Assad didn't use chemical weapons either.

The question remains, what do we do if our allies use chemical weapons?

GENEVA (Reuters) - Veteran prosecutor Carla del Ponte signed off from the United Nations Syria investigation on Monday by criticizing the U.N. Security Council and telling Syria’s ambassador his government had used chemical weapons.

Leaving the council, del Ponte told Syria’s ambassador that she had been right to quickly reach the conclusion that Assad’s government had used chemical weapons during an attack on the town of Khan Sheikhoun in April.

“It was me, mister ambassador,” she said.

“I said that in my opinion and based on the elements we already had, the Syrian government was responsible. Today we have the confirmation after an official commission’s inquiry. So now, we ask for justice, we ask justice for those victims.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-m...-idUSKCN1BT29Q

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    ^ Russian interests has to do with a lot of factors. One of them is the port of Tartus, which helps to resupply Russia's Mediterranean fleet. There are other reasons why Russia is in Syria:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/rajan...b_3375715.html

The article says this reason is simplistic. The first added reason seems overly complex to me. So complex, it’s a hard one for md to buy into. The radical muslim fear I do buy into.

“So why is Russia bent on backing back a blood-soaked, isolated regime? The usual explanations are that Syria buys lots of Russian arms and that the Syrian port of Tartus is an important “base” for Russia’s Mediterranean Fleet.

Both theories are simplistic. “

...So what does explain Russian’s tenacity in Syria?

For openers, Russia has never liked American-led humanitarian interventions — not just under Putin, but also under his predecessor, Boris Yeltsin, ...”

Another motive that moves Moscow’s Syria policy is preventing the rise of a radical Islamist regime, which is what the Russia leadership fears will happen if Assad falls.

Averting such an outcome in Syria matters to Russia, which faces a long-running, full-scale Islamist insurgency in its predominantly Muslim North Caucasus republics (one of which is Dagestan, made infamous by the Boston Marathon bombings) that the Russian Empire annexed in the latter half of the 19th century.

Last edited by KC; 15-04-2018 at 09:04 PM.

From The American Conservative.

Trump Tramples on the Constitution, Again
    By DANIEL LARISON • April 13, 2018, 10:52 PM

The U.S. and its allies have committed a flagrant violation of international law, and Trump has trampled on the Constitution once again. This attack probably won’t succeed on its own terms, and it risks a larger conflagration. It remains to be seen how large and prolonged the latest intervention turns out to be, but whatever happens next it was wholly unnecessary for U.S. security, a breach of the U.N. Charter, and completely illegal according to U.S. law. If Congress does nothing to challenge the president’s illegal attack, they will be accepting own irrelevance in matters of war from now on.

Trump’s statement announcing the attack contained a lot of the usual moralizing rhetoric we have come to expect from presidents when they start unnecessary military interventions. At one point, he even refers to the “righteous power” of the U.S. and its allies without appreciating how ridiculous and pompous this sounds to everyone in the region and most nations around the world. Incredibly, he addressed Syria’s patrons and asked, “What kind of a nation wants to be associated with the mass murder of innocent men, women, and children?” Trump should know the answer, since he just hosted one of the chief architects of the war on Yemen that the U.S. has backed to the hilt for the last three years. Britain welcomed the Saudi crown prince earlier on, and France just hosted him in the last few days. All three have been arming and supporting the Saudis and their allies in Yemen no matter how many atrocities they commit. There may be governments that have the moral authority to lecture Syria and its allies over their atrocious conduct, but the Trump administration and our British and French allies aren’t among them.

The Saudis and their allies have used the weapons sold to them by the U.S. and other Western governments to slaughter innocent Yemeni civilians by the thousands, including cluster munitions that almost every nation on earth has outlawed. Cluster munitions are inherently indiscriminate and insidious weapons that threaten civilians long after the conflict has ended. Our military has refueled the jets that they use to blow up crowds of refugees, wedding processions, funerals, and schools. The coalition blockade has created record-setting famine and cholera crises that put millions of lives in jeopardy, and the U.S. continues to support the war anyway. Indeed, U.S. support for their war effort has only increased since Trump took office.

http://www.theamericanconservative.c...a-has-started/

8 dead,16 injured when a white rented van, mowed down people in Toronto.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/toront...sted-1.3898118

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post

Yeah. Sad. CNN interviewed one man for a number of minutes that tried to chase it down and saw the carnage. He seemed shaken to the core by what he saw.

The use of trucks and cans on pedestrians has become a pretty common practice. I don’t know how they can fight that practice. Bollards on some roads maybe.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

This is tragic. Most likely I think related to Canada's peacekeeping role Mali. Its tragic.

And we want to let Isis returnees back into this country?

Yeah. Sad. CNN interviewed one man for a number of minutes that tried to chase it down and saw the carnage. He seemed shaken to the core by what he saw.

The use of trucks and cans on pedestrians has become a pretty common practice. I don’t know how they can fight that practice. Bollards on some roads maybe.

The Toronto Sun is using “attack” and “wounded” in their headline. I guess the police have decided it’s not accidental in anyway (health,...). From the reports it sure seemed to be a case of a murder spree.

TOP STORIES

TORONTO VAN ATTACK: 9 dead, 16 wounded

http://torontosun.com/news/local-new...an-on-yonge-st
    Last edited by KC; 23-04-2018 at 04:47 PM.

This is tragic. Most likely I think related to Canada's peacekeeping role Mali. Its tragic.

Link please. Why do you see a Mali connection?
    Last edited by KC; 23-04-2018 at 04:49 PM.

From the New York Times.

Toronto Van Plows Along Sidewalk, Killing 9 in ‘Pure Carnage’

Videos from bystanders appeared to show the arrest of the van driver, a balding middle-aged man standing beside an extensively damaged white Ryder rental van.

In a video posted on The Toronto Star, the man, who appeared to be pointing an object at the police, is heard yelling, “Kill me” as a Toronto police officer demanded repeatedly that he get down.

“I have a gun in my pocket,” the man yelled.

The police officer responded by saying: “I don’t care. Get down.”

He was then told by the police to cooperate or he would be shot. “Shoot me in the head,” the man yelled.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/23/w...ronto-van.html
    Video of the takdedown

https://twitter.com/rayy0889/statuse...08203737600000

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I said I think a Mali connection. It was speculation. Please read carefully someone's post before jumping to conclusions. We don't have enough information yet

The Toronto Sun is using “attack” and “wounded” in their headline. I guess the police have decided it’s not accidental in anyway (health,...). From the reports it sure seemed to be a case of a murder spree.

TOP STORIES

TORONTO VAN ATTACK: 9 dead, 16 wounded

http://torontosun.com/news/local-new...an-on-yonge-st
    The UK and CBS had his name and age, while CBCsaid they had nothing new. What BS!

Some reports say he's Iranian..
    Barton on CBC said first attack with a van in Canada, I popped on CBC site and said Edmonton???

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

For all we know, this could be a lone wolf incident. I hope so.

Edmonton? Is this guy related somehow to Abdulahi Hasan Sharif?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

On Global the suspect looked like a white guy.

For all we know, this could be a lone wolf incident. I hope so.

Edmonton? Is this guy related somehow to Abdulahi Hasan Sharif?
    No, Barton is all about the East and forgot we had an attack here..
    He cant speak english very well, so I have no idea here he is from .

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/toronto...-live-updates/
    Last edited by H.L.; 23-04-2018 at 06:04 PM.

I said I think a Mali connection. It was speculation. Please read carefully someone's post before jumping to conclusions. We don't have enough information yet
    So, with NO information, you just pulled
    Most likely I think related to Canada's peacekeeping role Mali. Its tragic.
    out of thin air?

Diver ID'd on CBC.

CBC News has confirmed that Alek Minassian, a 25-year-old Richmond Hill, Ont., man, is the alleged driver in the attack. His LinkedIn profile identifies him as a student at Seneca College.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...-van-1.4631564
    From his LinkedIn profile

Alek Minassian

Student at Seneca College
    Richmond Hill, Ontario, CanadaComputer Software

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alek-minassian-240083157/

So, with NO information, you just pulled
    Most likely I think related to Canada's peacekeeping role Mali. Its tragic.
    out of thin air?
    Possibly more baseless speculation:

9 dead, 16 injured as pedestrians struck 'one after one' in north Toronto van attack

“Government officials briefed on the investigation so far say the suspect is not associated with any organized terrorist group and he does not represent a larger threat to national security.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the investigation. “

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...-van-1.4631564

I did read it. Carefully. I assumed that when you said; “I think” that you had some reason to think what you thought. You even said “most likely” meaning you saw some higher probability in your scenario.

For instance you didn’t say: I think it’s a four year old in the midst of a tantrum.

Toronto van attack: The cop who didn’t shoot - Macleans.ca

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/t...o-didnt-shoot/

Makes you proud of Canada's well trained and disciplined police. So much better than shoot 20 times in the back of unarmed citizens.

Balls of steel...

C2E SME

That's an Olympic-class leap of logic you're making based upon zero information.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo
    Please read carefully someone's post before jumping to conclusions.

Please let the blood dry and the facts come in before jumping to your own conclusions that immediately bring religion and foreign peace-keeping missions in to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Makes you proud of Canada's well trained and disciplined police. So much better than shoot 20 times in the back of unarmed citizens.

Balls of steel...
    Exactly. I think old fashion instinct played a major part on the take down with no shots fired.

If the cop was to over-analyze the situation, he would of considered the possibility of bombs or more suspects inside the van. Instead, the police officer stared the man down and arrested him peacefully.

Retired RCMP officer of arrest of Toronto suspect.

It's difficult to hear in the videos that have been posted, but ... he seems to be trying to get the officer to shoot him, and the officer won't shoot him.

That's suicide by cop. You've heard the expression before. And that kind of was the impression that he gave me is he wanted to be shot by the police.

The way that it was handled by the police officers, they deserve to be commended because they they demonstrated a lot of restraint.

All the victims and families are going to go through terrible turmoil, but at least now ... they can enough information and to ascertain if this is, you know, a lone wolf or if he's involved in something else. And that's essential.

It's very interesting what you're saying here, because what we're seeing here and what you'd expect would happen — perhaps [in] an American city — is that they would have shot him.

Yeah, and I kind of sense from the conversation in the way that happened, the officer did a great job of reading individual's body language.

Obviously, it shows the level of maturity and calm of the officer. Because you're correct — I think in a lot of circumstances, the individual would have been shot.

So it's good to see. I think police officers so often don't get the recognition they deserve. But it shows that overall the training is really good and most officers react in an appropriate manner.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/...live-1.4632312

Toronto van attack: The cop who didn’t shoot - Macleans.ca

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/t...o-didnt-shoot/
    They wanted him alive, because they need information..good for him.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I wonder what his motive was? I guess that's the $64,000 question. Authorities will get that info be sure about it.

I wonder what his motive was? I guess that's the $64,000 question. Authorities will get that info be sure about it.
    Not being able to date women, the same as that narcissist Elliot Rodgers

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

That was his motive? I have no idea who Elliot Rodgers is.

Cities seek creative ways to prevent car or van attacks
    Aug 2017

http://abcnews.go.com/amp/Lifestyle/...tacks-49300340

New York City to install 1,500 protective barriers after vehicle attacks - CBS News

Jan 2, 2018
    “NEW YORK -- Hundreds of new protective barriers will be permanently installed in Times Square and other locations around New York in an effort to block vehicles from hitting pedestrians after deadly attacks last year on crowds. The city is spending $50 million on protective measures including the installation of 1,500 metal barriers, or bollards, in key locations around the city, Mayor Bill de Blasio said Tuesday.”

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-yor...hicle-attacks/
    Last edited by KC; 23-04-2018 at 09:48 PM.

That was his motive? I have no idea who Elliot Rodgers is.
    If you Google him, you'll see his smarmy little face. His video is on this guys FB page, I guess they're going with that( eye roll)

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Thanks, don't know. Don't care.

That's a pretty week motive.

I guess they're going with that( eye roll)
    They? Which "they"? I haven't seen a report from the police stating such a thing. What sort of motive would save you from an eye roll?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I was reading (can't remember where) where city police were speaking behind annymonity about the incident. Sorry no source to link to .

It was H.L. that had the eye roll, not you.

Thanks, don't know. Don't care.

That's a pretty week motive.
    Very weak..here's a link for you

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4631909

Motive unconfirmed.

What we know about Alek Minassian, alleged driver in deadly Toronto van attack

Speculation surfaced Monday night around a Facebook post associated with the same name and the same photo as the one that appears on Minassian's LinkedIn profile. CBC News has not been able to independently verify whether the Facebook post was, indeed, written by Minassian or created after that fact and intended to mislead.

The post referred to the "Supreme Gentleman Elliot Rodger." Rodger was the 22-year-old California man responsible for a deadly rampage in Isla Vista, Calif., that left six people dead and a dozen more injured.

In a video posted ahead of that 2014 attack, Rodger raged about a number of women turning down his advances, rendering men like him "incels," a term used by some groups to mean "involuntarily celibate."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...sian-1.4632435

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Pretty much what H.L was saying earlier.

Since I have been married for a long time, do I qualify as an "incels," or "involuntarily celibate."?

Don't see how this drives a person to run down innocent people. Maybe drive off a cliff...

No matter what the imbecilic reasoning was, there’s now a whole lot of families and friends suffering from the meaningless slaughter of innocent people.

One more thing. It’s always some guy destroying lives. It’s fricken embarrassing being a male.

There’s just an endless stream of heartbreaking news of one or more males being; narcissistic, entitled, angry, emotional, violently opportunistic or hateful or sexual, strung-out, fame seeking or any number of other negative characteristics behind committing crimes against innocent people.

Vast numbers of males of our species are nothing other than a supreme embarrassment to the rest of the male population.
    Last edited by KC; 24-04-2018 at 08:04 AM.

Confirmed by Facebook.

What we know about Alek Minassian, man charged in deadly Toronto van attack

Facebook told CBC News that the post from an Alek Minassian that refers to "The Incel Rebellion" is real, and was posted publicly on his profile before Facebook shut it down.

The post also mentioned the "Supreme Gentleman Elliot Rodger." Rodger was the 22-year-old California man responsible for a deadly rampage in Isla Vista, Calif., that left six people dead and a dozen people wounded.

In a video posted ahead of that 2014 attack, Rodger raged about a number of women turning down his advances, rendering men like him "incels," a term used by some groups to mean "involuntarily celibate."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...sian-1.4632435

Whether it played a role or not, how is this not a sign of mental illness?

How is committing suicide by flying a plane into a building a sign of mental illness? How is strapping a bomb to yourself not a sign of mental illness? Why do white men get a pass?

How is any desire to kill and maim your fellow human beings not a sign of mental illness?

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Confirmed by Facebook.

(...)
    Oh irony. Delicious, delicious IRONY!!!!

How is committing suicide by flying a plane into a building a sign of mental illness? How is strapping a bomb to yourself not a sign of mental illness? Why do white men get a pass?

How is any desire to kill and maim your fellow human beings not a sign of mental illness?
    I don't understand how Caucasian males get a pass.

The desire to randomly kill/maim your fellow humans is definitely a sign of mental illness.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

By being held not criminally responsible at the time of the incident. There's your pass. Defence tried to make it stick here in Edmonton but the Judge saw through it.

This is not mental illness. This is about attitudes towards women in a patriarcle society, which transcends across cultures. Women are not sex objects. Minassian imo knew exactly what he was doing right up to the face off on the street with the police officer.

Quote Originally Posted by RIchardS
    The desire to randomly kill/maim your fellow humans is definitely a sign of mental illness.
    I know you guys want to say that, because it makes you feel virtuous, wise, knowing, sane, and compassionate. Better than the terrorist.

But you are wrong.

The desire to kill is, except in narrowly defined conditions, called insanity, a sign of criminal intent, not mental illness.

Insanity, i.e. mental illness, precludes criminal responsibility.

Think for just a second and you will understand why your well-intentioned sentimentality is dead wrong.

Calling crimes of this kind "terrorism" (of whatever kind) does not define the crime, but only the frightened and unreasoned mental state of the bystander.

No, you are wrong. RichardS and kkozoriz ARE virtuous, wise, knowing, sane, and compassionate. And indeed better than the terrorist.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

"I can see its kill or be killed, a nation of destiny has got to be fulfilled....."

If Minassian had been Muslim, people would be screaming "Terrorist" even if his motivation was exactly the same. But, since he's a white guy, the old "mental illness" defence gets trotted out.

Since mental illness means you can be found not guilty while still acknowledging that they did it, white guys are much less likely to be considered guilty for mass murder.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

If Minassian had been Muslim, people would be screaming "Terrorist" even if his motivation was exactly the same. But, since he's a white guy, the old "mental illness" defence gets trotted out.

Since mental illness means you can be found not guilty while still acknowledging that they did it, white guys are much less likely to be considered guilty for mass murder.
    you keep trotting this out but do you have any actual statistics that would substantiate this opinion?

don't get me wrong, i know that about 2/3 of all mass murders in the us (where most of the statistics come from) are perpetrated by white males but, for perspective, almost 2/3 of the overall population is white so that's to be expected. in fact, other than an underrepresentation of latinos, the overall percentage of mass murders convicted by various groups is pretty proportional to their representation of the overall population.

it seems to me that you're implying that a large percentage of those white mass murderers are somehow not convicted of their crimes simply because they're white and i can find to corroborating evidence of that, "mental illness" defenses notwithstanding. is there a bias in the press or in the public at large? perhaps, but that's why we have courts and trials. besides, i would also posit that if there is any such bias it is often unintentional and certainly no different that anywhere else in the world dealing with the perception of minority populations by a majority (i.e. an accused caucasian in much of africa or asia or a japanese citizen in korea or a sunni in shiite territory, or a roma in paris etc.). is it right ? absolutely not. is it evil? a harder question, even if it is wrong. i think the difference may come down to the fact that education and familiarity can overcome wrong but not evil.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

From the post directly above yours.

You'll notice that even though the first person called it terrorism, there were only 66 retweets as opposed to the one where it he was (mistakenly) called Middle Eastern had 1,300.

Sean Spicer jumping to the conclusion that the Quebec Mosque shooting proved the need for Trump's wall. At least until it came out that he was actually a fan of Trump and LePen. After that, nothing. The refusal to call the Las Vegas shooter a terrorist, even though the Nevada stat definition of terrorism states:

2015 Nevada Revised Statutes
    Chapter 202 - Crimes Against Public Health and Safety
    NRS 202.4415 - “Act of terrorism” defined.
    Universal Citation: NV Rev Stat § 202.4415 (2015)
    1. “Act of terrorism” means any act that involves the use or attempted use of sabotage, coercion or violence which is intended to:

(a) Cause great bodily harm or death to the general population; or

(b) Cause substantial destruction, contamination or impairment of:

(1) Any building or infrastructure, communications, transportation, utilities or services; or

https://law.justia.com/codes/nevada/...tute-202.4415/
    Do I have a peer reviewed study to back it up? No. Do I have a number of reports that show that an act of violence is more likely to be blamed on non-whites and is more likely to to called terrorism when the perpatrator is non-caucasion? Yup, there's lots of them.

A terrorist to me, is any thug that terrorizes people .I don't care the colour. In Canada if they aren't affiliated with a terrorist group, they are deemed not a terrorist. That's not what the UK or the US think, that's why he was labeled one, by those countries.

From the post directly above yours.

You'll notice that even though the first person called it terrorism, there were only 66 retweets as opposed to the one where it he was (mistakenly) called Middle Eastern had 1,300.

Sean Spicer jumping to the conclusion that the Quebec Mosque shooting proved the need for Trump's wall. At least until it came out that he was actually a fan of Trump and LePen. After that, nothing. The refusal to call the Las Vegas shooter a terrorist, even though the Nevada stat definition of terrorism states:

2015 Nevada Revised Statutes
    Chapter 202 - Crimes Against Public Health and Safety
    NRS 202.4415 - “Act of terrorism” defined.
    Universal Citation: NV Rev Stat § 202.4415 (2015)
    1. “Act of terrorism” means any act that involves the use or attempted use of sabotage, coercion or violence which is intended to:

(a) Cause great bodily harm or death to the general population; or

(b) Cause substantial destruction, contamination or impairment of:

(1) Any building or infrastructure, communications, transportation, utilities or services; or

https://law.justia.com/codes/nevada/...tute-202.4415/
    Do I have a peer reviewed study to back it up? No. Do I have a number of reports that show that an act of violence is more likely to be blamed on non-whites and is more likely to to called terrorism when the perpatrator is non-caucasion? Yup, there's lots of them.
    Maybe confirmation bias at play all around here.

I saw those tweets early in news search. There’s other significant differences between those tweets. The tone ramped up considerably between the two.

Compare them.

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324 LastLast