Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223
Results 2,201 to 2,213 of 2213

Thread: State of the world, state sponsored terror, terror and war in general

His grandfather would be shocked and embarrassed. What a despicable human being. His grand-father, Nathan Phillips, was known as "the mayor of all the people". Nathan Phillips square in front of City Hall in Toronto is named for him.

Bat-wielding racist caught screaming about ISIS in viral video outed as rich lawyer from influential family

CBC News has learned the man charged in connection with a baseball bat attack on an immigrant family is a Toronto personal injury lawyer and the great-grandson of former Toronto mayor Nathan Phillips.

Mark Phillips, 36, was charged on Dec. 8 with aggravated assault and three counts of assault with a weapon in connection with the incident in the parking lot of a St. Thomas, Ont., strip mall.

The family said the man charged at them, unprovoked, before they recorded the confrontation on a cellphone, which has been widely circulated through news outlets and social media.

The video shows a man yelling about terrorists, ISIS and swinging his bat, leaving local man Sergio Estepa with a cracked rib and severe bruising on his back.

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/12/bat...ential-family/

There is an attempted revolution going on in Iran right now. Iranians are sick of living under Islamic theocratic rule.

Not as much coverage in the news or online as there should be due to media and internet blackouts by those in power.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    There is an attempted revolution going on in Iran right now. Iranians are sick of living under Islamic theocratic rule.

Not as much coverage in the news or online as there should be due to media and internet blackouts by those in power.
    Those are blanket gross generalizations. I’d bet that rarely if ever are all citizens tired of whatever system they are under. There’s always a lot of people benefiting, or at least not losing, from the current system no matter what it is.

So my guess is that only some Iranians are tired of living under something and it’s a big assumption to think it’s Islamic theocratic rule that they are tired of and not just the current set of rulers.

In the end I wonder if it won’t just turn out to be a replay of the Turkey clamp down. A few shots ring out and then everyone gets arrested and a great purge takes place.

Telegram suspends channel for encouraging violent Iran protests

“The incident highlights the fine line Telegram has to walk. It doesn't want to be seen as supporting an oppressive government, especially one that wants to spy on Telegram users, but it also has to maintain a consistent anti-violence policy. If it's going to ban ISIS, it also has to ban activists that explicitly set out to hurt others, even if it ultimately helps governments silence resistance movements. Durov has been quick to object to complaints from Edward Snowden and other that he was facilitating Iran's crackdown on dissent, noting that "thousands" of Iranian opposition channels are "thriving" on Telegram.”

https://www.engadget.com/2017/12/30/...iran-protests/

Protests Continue In Iran : NPR

“Two years after many sanctions were lifted, money has reached Iran's Revolutionary Guards and some elites but has not trickled down to street level. These protests are nowhere near as large as the ones in 2009, but they are spreading day by day. They began over economic complaints but have quickly grown into general anger at the clerical and military establishment that maintains a firm grip on power. ...”

https://www.npr.org/2017/12/31/57485...ntinue-in-iran
    Last edited by KC; 31-12-2017 at 07:01 PM.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers

It's been all over what little news there is at this time of year. Most of the newsrooms on the planet are operating with skeleton crews until tomorrow. You really have a warped view of news media making such a claim, when Iran is on the front page of every major international news organization's website.

In any case, hopefully some change for the good will come of the protests, and not too many are killed or injured. And hopefully Trump keeps his mouth shut and stays out of it, because the regime will be only too happy to label the protesters as foreign agents of the Great Satan and crack down that much harder. Whoops, too late. Looks like he already squeezed a couple tweets out with his morning constitutional.

^it brings up an interesting philisophical issue though. Should counties cut deals with totalitarian regimes that help those regimes survive but at least the people have some wealth, or should we say no, and let the people suffer but hopefully the regime will collapse? Obama’s view is the former, Trumps is the later. If the Islamic regime in Iran loses power, then Trump may be right, but if not, then Obama’s approach made more sense. I don’t think there is a right answer that fits all situations, the US uses a mix of both approaches around the world (contrast Saudi Arabia and China with North Korea and Cuba), the EU countries tend to always appease.
    Last edited by moahunter; 01-01-2018 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post

You really have a warped view of news media making such a claim, when Iran is on the front page of every major international news organization's website.
    Why are you attacking me?

It is a FACT that there are all kinds of communication blackouts in Iran during these protests! There is not very much news about what is happening there because there is so very limited information available to us. They are preventing information from being spread. That was a fact when I posted it and it is a fact now.

I cannot even believe you would dispute that (probably just because I posted it).

You really have a warped view of news media making such a claim, when Iran is on the front page of every major international news organization's website.

It is a FACT that there are all kinds of communication blackouts in Iran during these protests! There is not very much news about what is happening there because there is so very limited information available to us. They are preventing information from being spread. That was a fact when I posted it and it is a fact now.

I cannot even believe you would dispute that (probably just because I posted it).

Iran restricts social media networks used by protesters | Euronews
    http://www.euronews.com/2017/12/31/i...-by-protesters

“There Is No Backup Plan”: Inside the Information War for Control of Iran | Vanity Fair

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018...-iran-protests

Watch, “purportedly” appears then disappears. And note that there’s always a death sentence available when words hurt.

Pro-Government Supporters Take To Iran's Streets In Wake Of Antigovernment Protests

WATCH: Tens of thousands of Iranians have purportedly rallied in support of the government in several cities following several days of antiregime protests and deadly clashes between demonstrators and security forces that have left at least 22 dead. (AP/Iran Press)

Tens of thousands of Iranians have rallied in support of the government in several cities following several days of protests and deadly clashes between demonstrators and security forces that have left at least 22 dead.

“The Intelligence Ministry has said that "rioters and instigators" had been identified "and will be dealt with seriously soon," and the head of Tehran's Revolutionary Court, Mousa Ghazanfarabadi, was quoted on January 2 by Tasnim as saying that one of the charges protesters face can be "moharebeh," or waging war against God, which carries the death penalty as a sentence.”

https://www.rferl.org/a/iran-protest.../28952651.html

Media of Iran - Wikipedia

“The government engages in censorship programs to anything divergent from the country's regulations.[4][5] The majority of Iranians- upwards of 80 percent- get their news from government-owned media.[6]Attempts to establish private, independent media outlets in Iran have been restricted or banned, and Reporters Without Frontiers has declared Iran to have the highest number of jailed journalists in the Middle East. According to the 1979 Iranian Constitution, all broadcasting must exclusively be government-operated, and in 1994 the Islamic state banned the use of satellite television.[7] Yet, over 30 percent of Iranians watch satellite channels.[8] “

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_of_Iran

Interesting but rather off topic:

Iran news agency gives Charlize Theron a polo neck in altered Oscars footage | Film | The Guardian

“The news clip was shared by My Stealthy Freedom, a lobbying organisation aiming to raise awareness of state rules in Iran which dictate that women should be flogged or imprisoned for failure to wear the hijab.

The founder of the group, Masih Alinejad, condemned the censorship on the organisation’s Facebook page. “Another typical example of the Islamic Republic’s fear of naked arms of Iranian women,” she wrote. “It is shameful indeed, but that is how the Iranian media outlets based within the country have been covering such events for years.

“At a time when Farhadi chooses an astronaut and Nasa scientist to prove a point about human rights not having ‘borders’, the Islamic Republic of Iran does the complete opposite by using Farhadi’s wonderful Oscars statement for their own propaganda while blind to the meaning of his point.”

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...rhadi-salesman

Bolding mine
    Last edited by KC; 03-01-2018 at 07:12 AM.

No separation of religion and state. Or, the more things change, the more they remain the same.

Hirabah - Wikipedia
    “Between the end of early days of the 1979 Islamic Revolution, when scores of former officials of the Shah and others were arrested and executed for moharebeh,[34] and the beginning of the 2009 election protests, executions for moharebeh were rare, and usually applied against members of armed opposition/terrorist groups, Kurdish separatists, or common criminals.[16]

In recent years, Iranians executed after being charged with Moharebeh include...”

Shia cleric Hossein Kazemeyni Boroujerdi, known for preaching that religion is separate from politics, was reportedly charged with Moharebeh in 2007 by Iran's Special Court for the Clergy,[35] but had his sentence reduced to 11 years in prison after an appeal. ....”

“According to at least one journalist (Brian Murphy), the Iranian Islamic regime's use of moharebeh against 2009 election protesters has "opened deep rifts between ruling clerics and Islamic scholars questioning how an idea about safeguarding Muslims can be transformed into a tool to punish political protesters." Ayatollah Mostafa Mohaghegh Damad has reportedly sought to "rally clerics to oppose the use of moharebeh charges against political protesters."[16]”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hirabah

Ruhollah Khomeini - Wikipedia
    “This was his most famous and influential work, and laid out his ideas on governance (at that time):

That the laws of society should be made up only of the laws of God (Sharia), which cover "all human affairs" and "provide instruction and establish norms" for every "topic" in "human life."[85]

Since Shariah, or Islamic law, is the proper law, those holding government posts should have knowledge of Sharia. Since Islamic jurists or faqih have studied and are the most knowledgeable in Sharia, the country's ruler should be a faqih who "surpasses all others in knowledge" of Islamic law and justice,[86](known as a marja'), as well as having intelligence and administrative ability. Rule by monarchs and/or assemblies of "those claiming to be representatives of the majority of the people" (i.e. elected parliaments and legislatures) has been proclaimed "wrong" by Islam.[87]

This system of clerical rule is necessary to prevent injustice, corruption, oppression by the powerful over the poor and weak, innovation and deviation of Islam and Sharia law; and also to destroy anti-Islamic influence and conspiracies by non-Muslim foreign powers.[88]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruhollah_Khomeini

Last edited by KC; 03-01-2018 at 07:45 AM.

C2E SME

My bad, I mis-read your original post, then. I had assumed you were, as usual, complaining about the "mainstream", Western media not covering the issue. I didn't realize you were referring to Iran's own non-existent independent media.

Demonstrates the importance of a free and independent press.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Iran used to have a democratically elected government, free press, separation of church and state and equality for women. That ended when the US overthrew the government, installed the Shah and set the stage for the Revolution of 1979.

Ambulance bomb - very sneaky:

Kabul attack: Taliban kill 95 with ambulance bomb in Afghan capital - BBC News

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-42843897

Sound familiar?
    Netanyahu blasts media 'witch hunt' as police announce new investigation

Jerusalem (CNN)In a pre-emptive strike, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu blamed media "pressure" for a new police investigation, less than a week after police said they had enough evidence to indict the Israeli leader for corruption in two separate cases.

In a statement issued Sunday night, Netanyahu said, "The media witch hunt continues with all its might. After the air came out of Case 1000 and Case 2000 and after it became clear that there is absolutely no air in Case 3000, the media put tremendous pressure to inflate another balloon -- [Case] 4000. Also from this [case], all the air will come out."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/18/world...ion/index.html

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223