Thread: Horrible neighbours - we've all had 'em.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Default Horrible neighbours - we've all had 'em.

Need to rant, even though thankfully it's over.

Well, it's been a month since the neighbours from hell moved away. I live in basically a condo and share walls with 2 units and my floor is the roof of the neighbour below me. I've lived here for 6 years now and make an extra effort to get along with the neighbours, as long as they have some respect everything usually works out fine. I'm conscience of the little noise I make, especially me being on the second floor so I'm disadvantaged right off the start. But I walk lightly and have never had a noise complaint in 5 years, until the idiots moved in below me in May of 2013.

For 13 months I had probably the worst neighbors I ever had in my entire life living below me. They had 2 kids (about 3 and 5) that they let absolutely run amok, sometimes with their shoes/boots on, in the condo from 7 am until 8 at night. Every day. Every f*cking day. It sounded like the noise was coming from above me even though there is no 3rd floor. And because of this, every day around 7:15 I was woken up from them. Since when has it become acceptable for kids to run in the house like that for 12+ hours, especially in a condo? I mean, it was loud. Disturbingly loud. And I've had families with kids live below me before (these people were my 6th neighbour to live below) and never had to deal with noise like this. It never stopped, there was no breaks from it or anything. Just constant thumping, banging, running... every minute of every day there was noise. I can only describe it as Chinese water torture... because it just never stopped, until bedtime. Again, what parent fail lets kids run in a condo like that?

Then there was the door slamming. It just so happened family lived right next door to them and watching the nepotism and hypocrisy for that year made me sick to my stomach. Watching older family turn a blind eye to the young couple's bullsh*t was infuriating, especially since older family is in the office complaining about something every week, as they have for 3 years. But young family gets a green light and no complaints, even though it's 100% warranted. They would all travel between both units dozens of times a day, even wearing out the grass out front. And then "SLAM!", a few minutes later "SLAM!", a few minutes after that "SLAM!"... it just never stopped. Some days I counted more than two dozen slams and it wasn't even 10 am yet. They literally slammed their main door 100 times a day and because I live upstairs it's quite loud. Are you people that clueless?

Then there was the piles of dog crap on our shared sidewalk. Cupcake couldn't be bothered to clean it up so dozens of piles accumulated over the weeks, during the winter when it was easy to spot the piles of crap I started taking pictures and sending them into the landlord. It had little effect... they were too good to clean up after their dog. One day in late winter she did actually clean a few turds up - only after being threatened with getting billed for the costs. But alas, it didn't last and once the snow melted the dog just roamed around the vicinity anyway and did it's business wherever. Usually within 15 feet of the owner, who was too busy yapping on her phone to bother being a responsible dog owner.

They wouldn't move their vehicles during the snow parking bans and the main road would turn into a snowy windrow nightmare because of it. I did all of us around here a favour and called bylaw a few times on them and they were issued tickets. They started to get the message, but winter was almost now over. Seriously people - move your vehicle for a whopping couple of days so the city can do a good job to keep our roads free of snow. Idiots.

Anyway, they moved July 1st. Thank god. I was losing my mind, mostly because of the constant noise. New neighbors moved in and everything has been great. I'm still in shock a month later as to what it feels like to not have the constant barrage of noise. I can only describe it as almost surreal. My new neighbours are nice people, respectful and quiet and like with most neighbours I have had over the years, we'll get along fine.

Anyone else have some terrible neighbor stories?
    Last edited by Kitlope; 02-08-2014 at 02:51 PM.

I think your old neighbours just became my new ones... Sigh.

All I know is I never want to live in a condo or duplex again. Used to have a duplex, a new one. You know those ones they build in the new neighborhoods where a house is split in two. Well, Landmark built it and it sucked big time. Neighbor would smoke weed and my half of the duplex would stink of it. They'd argue and you could hear it depending in what room you were in because Landmark left a hole in the basement where the two units split and just covered it up with a single piece of drywall. They played loud music where all you heard was just the bass part at random times of the day. All in all I'm glad I sold that place when I did and bought a house because if I had waited another year I'd never have been able to afford one and would have been stuck.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Did you read the story about the neighbors up in Ft Mac?

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/touch...tml?rel=847766

Yeah, that's what spurred me to write about my experience.

Since when is "bringing forth an issue" about neighbors worthy of charges, even if they do bring it up with police repeatedly? Something really stinks with that story so I'm not gonna even start to speculate.

I would hope the noise isolation standards in the building code have been improved. Wen you are moving into a newly built condo how can you be sure that there is proper soundproofing. Like in a building like ultimate or fox what kind of noise isolation could one expect
    be offended! figure out why later...

Partially Addicted to C2E

I think I've had six months of peace living in an apartment/condo situation since the early 90's ... and it keeps getting worse, I don't even want to go there. Looking for a SFH to live solo, I really hate apartment living, i really need a good night's sleep, it's like insanity ... but not much luck finding an affordable place, a bad situation to be in at the not so ripe age of 49. I've now got anxiety issues over this, I may never find a peaceful abode for myself in my lifetime. I must have been one evil schmuck in a previous lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by richardW View Post
    I would hope the noise isolation standards in the building code have been improved. Wen you are moving into a newly built condo how can you be sure that there is proper soundproofing. Like in a building like ultimate or fox what kind of noise isolation could one expect
    With a good quality well designed condo this is the case, it's rare to hear anything.

When I was younger I rented with a friend, we were up all night drinking and partying, and constantly had the neighbours complaining at us. I've grown out of it since, but back then I didn't care, phase of life I guess. It's partly why I'm not a big fan of ideas that communities need to provide to everyone per new urbanism, I sorta like different types of neighbourhoods that attract different types of people at different life stages.

I've only ever lived in detached homes. Always had great helpful friendly neighbours. We shovel each other's snow, water each other's lawns, watch over each other's homes. When my parents ran into health problems, our neighbours cooked meals for them and even took care of the snow when my parents had to leave their home.

However the sister of one neighbour has moved in. Then she moved in and started flicking her cigarette butts over the fence.

The boring details: I took her (her boyfriend) to task late one night, and not knowing who she was when her friend got out of his car and peed among our shrubs on the front lawn They'd been sitting out front for quite a while. My wife saw the guy take a leak and I didn't catch the guy doing it. Just called the girl back as she went into the yard. She denied the guy would do that. I just told her we try not to let our dogs do that... I never swear or anything but just said it wasn't good behaviour.

I found a load of cigarette butts in the spring on in our unmowed side yard. Lucky she didn't start a fire in the dead grass, ferns, weeds, etc. which would have torched the fence and her sister's wooden shed first, and likely before any damage would have occurred to our two storey stucco wall so I wasn't too concerned but the litter is still an unwelcome issue.
    Last edited by KC; 03-08-2014 at 08:46 AM.

C2E Long Term Contributor

I've only had a few issues in my 20 years of living in a highrise condo.

• The occasional loud balcony party, but during reasonable times.
    • There used to be loud late-night parties by the swimming pool, but that stopped once security cams and access by key FOB was put in place to catch the culprits.
    • One suite break-in about 14 years ago.
    • Once in a blue moon the loser upstairs goes away somewhere but forgets to shut off his alarm clock; and once in a while he will have his home theatre cranked up.
    • Once had a drug dealer in the suite next to me, but kept to himself
    • Once had a friendly and attractive lady down the hall who was renting an apartment down the hall and had a steady stream of male visitors; turned out she was a prostitute who was using it for incall appointments

Overall most of the people in my building are good, quiet people, many of whom happen to be downtown workers and seniors.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 03-08-2014 at 09:21 AM.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'm sympathetic to the pain of any shared accommodation that occurs in this ***** marketplace.

Biggest motivation I had for moving to a detached single dwelling property was living in an apartment and experiencing the usual douchebaggery. From nonstop noise, stereos blaring, to people cranking up the heat do unbearable degrees, stealing your cable by breaking into the box and changing the wires to their suite(what kind of ***** does that and thinks it will escape detection).
    People parking in your parking spot and even plugging in and doing that in -30weather apparently not thinking about where the person that pays for the spot will park..

The crowning moment came when two ditz girls living down below moved the portable BBQ inside into livingroom because it was raining outside. Set off every alarm and sprinkler in the place. Fire department was lecturing them for an hour.

I think you live in a apartment in Alberta for about a month before realizing you're at the mercy of the biggest idiots known to mankind and with your relative safety dependent on the worst actions they take.

Apartment living is like being in jail to me. After awhile you'll pay anything to get out. I did my 5yr stint as a youth. Got the hell out as quick as possible and bought a nice house. Fortunately with no apartments anywhere in sight lowering the property values and experience. Unfortunately this being Edmonton there are some rentals on the block. Everybodies bane.
    Last edited by Replacement; 03-08-2014 at 11:39 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

^ that stuff is common everywhere. also sounds pretty elitist. not everyone can afford to live the life of luxury as you do.

^ that stuff is common everywhere. also sounds pretty elitist. not everyone can afford to live the life of luxury as you do.

Edmonton attracts virtual unemployable losers from around the country and with the dregs of course settling up shop in apartments and rentals. Edmonton has a disproportionate population of young workers, worse workers, and add to this more prison beds/capita than any place in Canada and with all those playing catch and release. Not to mention consumption of drugs and alcohol being higher here given limitless money to pay on any vice. Current day Edmonton is a hotbed of village idiots from around the country.

lol, luxury, I live in Millwoods. But in a pretty peaceful neighborhood and with no apartments anywhere in sight.
    Last edited by Replacement; 03-08-2014 at 01:49 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

^ that is pretty awful of you to say. (not that there is'nt a hint of truth in that...) but i wouldnt label with such broad brush strokes.

^ that is pretty awful of you to say. (not that there is'nt a hint of truth in that...) but i wouldnt label with such broad brush strokes.
    Why not be honest about it?

I love Edmonton Alberta but I love what it is. Not what it becomes each time theres the latest boom here.

I love as well the non boom times where people that live here, and choose to live here, actually like it here and don't treat the city, and everybody in it like their ashtray or toilet.

Most of whats wrong with Edmonton is due to people that despise this place while earning a living in it and that prefer to make everybody around them here miserable through incorrigible behavior any chance they get. I wonder if half of these people behave the same way at *home* when they're around friends and family. The kind of behavior described in the OP is typical of the type of people that live here that don't consider anybody else.

My comments added on are consistent in a rant about that in a rant thread in a rant section.
    Last edited by Replacement; 03-08-2014 at 01:53 PM.

Have to agree with Replacement - we're a on again/off again boom town and there's people that come here from all over Canada (and the world) and there's no shortage of 'undesirables' in this town. And most of the time, they live in rentals.

And yeah, you're totally at the mercy of your neighbours. They'll make life good, or life hell for you. All it takes is one out of many. I almost moved out of here because of them idiots below me, but I knew in moving that I would just inherit another new set of issues. So I figured I would wait it out and in late winter I heard through the condo-grapevine that they were moving... so I stuck around hoping some decent, respectable neighbours would move in below me, and some did. Finally, the dice rolled in my favour.

I also had another set of incredible rude, disrespectful neighbours that lived in front of where I park my car in the parking lot. I don't share a wall with them but it didn't matter. There were 3 sons - between the ages of 13 - 21 and the oldest parked in whatever stall was open, even if it wasn't his so he didn't have to walk his lazy arse any further to his suite than he had too. I asked them countless times, nicely to stop parking in my stall/partially in my stall and they said they would but of course never did. Half the time they would park so lousy (their 'real' stall was right beside mine, but the mother's car was usually in it) that the car would be a foot into my stall, effectively making my stall useless... this went on for months, even a couple years. This was in between them playing football in the parking lot, tripping off alarms and then running to their suite and hiding. That happened every week during the warm months and I have a real nice scratch on the hood of my beater from them pricks. Wash. Rinse. Repeat. I mostly parked on the road to avoid the nonsense, and for the most part that worked. The landlords would warn them repeatedly butto no avail. Come winter though I needed to plug in my ride, and Christmas eve things boiled over. They had side swiped my car, ripping the molding off and I went to their door and flipped out on the kid's mother. I couldn't take the arrogance anymore. He didn't like that and I received some grade A death threats. Police were involved, the whole thing... all this on Christmas eve.

A couple months later he was parked a foot into my stall, I called a tow truck without thinking twice and had his car impounded. He went to the landlord and screamed at her, came by my place and yelled at me - I mean this kid was nuts. Trying to explain to him why the tow truck was called was an effort it futility, it just didn't register in his head that he was at fault. He was right and you were wrong. I told him how many times do I have to ask politely to not park in others' stall - but he didn't care. It was all about his entitlement. Police were called for that one too - charges were almost laid, but against me. I won't go into detail. But I was at my wit's end and I honestly didn't even care anymore.

My car alarm used to chirp and/or get set off once a week when them jerk-offs lived here but since they moved 2 years ago I think I've heard it all of 3 times. I also watched the oldest write off 3 cars within a year or so (they ended up in mother's stall). Three cars he wrote off, and I can see why. He's was a nutbar on the road too, not just in the parking lot. Unreal. The "parking politics" are great these days, I even have a neighbour that turn's in his van's mirrors.

All it takes is one douchebag in the vicinity and life can be hell.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Our building has gone through a lot of changes in the last few years. I had the neighbour from hell living across the hall. The police were here at least once a week to break up fights between him and his meth head girlfriend (once she was screaming in the apartment - real screaming, then came out into the hallway screaming "he's trying to kill me!").

He was passed out through the whole incident, not waking up until the police arrived.

This kind of incident was a regular occurrence. He had a lot of sketchy friends, including some bikers who reportedly stole our new vacuum and lawn mower. A small group of owners I called "the cabal" used to party with him too; a group which included much of the the building board and management.

So, of course, nothing was done, and the building was sliding toward flop-house status.

Things started turning around when most of the previous board and management were replaced in a highly acrimonious coup. I don't mean to sound harsh, because underneath it all he was a nice guy, but the building took a major turn for the better this one neighbour passed away a year ago.

Five reno'd suites sold in the previous two months (¼ of the building's 20 suites), all to owners (as opposed to landlords), they each fetched a pretty good price speaks to how much a turn for the better. One person can make a big difference either way.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

I moved from a house in Strathcona to a condo in the Icon II last year, and the latter is actually MUCH quieter in terms of being able to hear the neighbours.
    “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

The guy who lived next door to me in Forest Heights built an early 70's style, split level house, sideways on a 33 foot lot. He had sliding patio doors opening into space directly opposite my kitchen window and a bay window facing the side of the house on the other side of him.
    He was a hard-core alcoholic and had a still in his garage. As creepy as they get.
    I had intended to tear down the old house I owned and build new on the lot, but the idea of raising a family next to this guy just didn't seem right so we moved to the burbs.

I definitely don't miss living in a condo.

There were 2 buildings, mine was the one where there were more renters. Majority didn't care, always finding garbage all over the garbage chute room (people's garbage that didn't fit in the chute, instead of taking either to the outside or parking bin, they would just leave stinking garbage on the floor), vandalism in the elevators (which included swears and suggestive drawings), or using the visitor stalls as their own parking space.

I even had the stupid upstairs people pour their bucket of dirty washing water over their balcony which in turned dripped onto mine. Smokers in the suit next to mine and having their smoke waft into my suite if I opened the windows (a must in summer). Hell, we even had the SWAT team one day break down a door to a renter's suite for a drug raid (and no I wasn't in a seedy part of town but a very nice family neighborhood). The worst was some drunken young guys in their boxers shooting golf balls in the parking lot!

I did my 5 and half years and got out, bought a new detached home. Hopefully I get some good neighbors. And I fluked out, found out my condo got hit with a $7400 assessment this past year, water damage on the roof, which could add up to more!
    Edmonton ~ It may not be perfect, but it's home~

Life of luxury? Or life of entitlement?
    I live now in McCauley I've seen some pretty damn good deals on houses over the years, where even a low income could get into the market.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Hollywood View Post
    All I know is I never want to live in a condo or duplex again. Used to have a duplex, a new one. You know those ones they build in the new neighborhoods where a house is split in two. Well, Landmark built it and it sucked big time. Neighbor would smoke weed and my half of the duplex would stink of it. They'd argue and you could hear it depending in what room you were in because Landmark left a hole in the basement where the two units split and just covered it up with a single piece of drywall. They played loud music where all you heard was just the bass part at random times of the day. All in all I'm glad I sold that place when I did and bought a house because if I had waited another year I'd never have been able to afford one and would have been stuck.
    ^i hear yuh! used to share a townhouse wall with the neighbours from hell. the parents were divorced and the young girl who was only in junior high would look after her much younger brother in the afternoon while the old man was at work. so they'd proceed to come home after school every day and crank the gawd damned stereo to 10 decibels! i would try day after day to knock and use the door bell but she couldn't hear it the music was so loud, so i'd have to get her attention at the window when i saw here there, and she'd go...."stereo too loud?" and she'd turn it down, so you'd think she got the message right? nooooo, the very next day after school, she'd turn around and do the EXACT same thing all over again!! every fricking day this went on for two years! not only that, when the old man was home on the weekend, he'd proceed to join in on the loud stereo fun. and that's beside having to hear the young boy kick the wall when he was having a temper tantrum! and the owner wondered why he had a hole in his wall when they left and garbage everywhere in the unit and garage?
    Last edited by OilTastic/BigCityDude; 04-08-2014 at 02:04 PM.
    Thank You For Finally Going Higher!

C2E SME

Personally I'm still loving living in a condo. Granted I have a top floor suite, great neighbors, and live in a great building. Haven't touched a lawnmower or snow shovel in over a decade, it's glorious.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Concur, although no top floor. Concrete condo and a great board who enforces bylaws with the vast majority of owners being respectful and considerate. Rarely do we have issues and noise is not a problem at all.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Partially Addicted to C2E

I use to live in a condo, I didn't have any problems at all with neighbors. The only reason I moved out of a condo was because I wanted more space as we are expecting have a baby.

I live in the legacy and have had 0 noise problems. I lived in an apt in Manitoba where the above neighbours played their stereo so loud that one time my dishes were actually bouncing of the counter.

I want to eventually live in a Townhouse, but I question my sanity as I'm an old man in a 31 year olds body, i.e. I don't smoke, don't drink, don't listen to music, don't have people over, go to bed early, am extremely quiet....

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post

I want to eventually live in a Townhouse, but I question my sanity as I'm an old man in a 31 year olds body, i.e. I don't smoke, don't drink, don't listen to music, don't have people over, go to bed early, am extremely quiet....
    I am the same as you, and I thought I moved to a quiet complex ... indeed everyone is very quiet, respectful of others and keeps to themselves. Except MY neighbour. Remember Gladys Kravitz of Bewitched? Thats her. Her partner appears to be "special needs" and spends her weekends power washing their two (already clean) cars - the power washer sounds like a construction jackhammer. Then she vacuums the concrete patio. She likes the noise it makes. Then she sets the BBQ to blow smoke in my window. Then they play "peek a boo" while washing the windows. Their insane conversations are shouted, not spoken. I thought they were deaf at first. I finally called the police on them after they started beating each other up. This fight was the grand finale to two months of violent window slamming at 6AM, door slamming precisely 20 minutes later, at night the door would slam, and whoever was in the kitchen would slam the kitchen cupboards while preparing dinner. All this stopped after the fight, and the older one appeared a few months later all bandaged up. They've been surprisingly quiet ever since. By the sounds of what others say, I consider myself quite lucky.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Priceless.

My neighbor took off 2 long boards on his side of the fence about 3 years ago and has yet to fix his fence.

There were 2 blank spots where we can see his filthy back yard and so we took 2 boards that were behind the garage and covered them up.

We have called City of Edmonton and they have gone to his house to advise of the complaint but he doesn't seem to care.

When you buy your house, you can't do anything if your neighbor's a doucher.

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

^ This is one of the advantages of being a renter. Now, I've been fairly lucky in my neighbours. But if it ever got really bad all I have to do is dip into the renter's guides and find a new place and move. If I owned the place, I'd have to hope potential buyers weren't coming when the neighbours weren't in full dip**** mode.

Eve

How about a moment of self reflection here folks? Sure, we've all had bad neighbours. Have you always been the best neighbour? I'm a good community member but from the comments here it's pretty obvious that I meet some qualifications for a bad neighbour. So be it.

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

The concept of bad neighbors is relative. When I was at Windsor Park Plaza, a lot of complaining went on about the parties on the weekend. But not by me.

Because I just came from a neighborhood where the parties out in the parking lot outside my bedroom window involved screaming and threats of bodily harm (sometimes delivered on). And it went on all night.

As long as the students weren't threatening to kill each other and the parties ended at a reasonable time (they always ended before 1 am), I was happy.

Now if I could get my current "neighbors", the construction crews out doing the Federal Plaza job to follow the same rules, I'd be happy here too. The buzz of heavy construction equipment is one thing, tooting their horns repeatedly and constantly until 3:30 am is another. At least, I know that will come to and end either when they're done or when winter comes (whichever is first).

Eve

An Edmonton man is on trial this week for allegedly dousing his sleeping neighbours with gasoline and threatening to set them on fire.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...told-1.2735950

Whoever was it said we needn't waste money on mental health issues...
    Let's make Edmonton better.

I recently moved out of Abbottsfield and I could write the book on bad neighbours. I've had neighbours who have stored junked cars in my carport after I went out to work, ones who thought nothing of blocking my car in by parking across my carport entrance, children showing up at my door asking for candles because their parents abandoned them in a house with no electricity, on three different occasions I've had adults living next door who were in the habit of urinating in the public areas, one who threw bags of their garbage away in the bush between our townhouses, and someone who would unplug my car during the winter to plug their car into my outlet using my extension cord even though their outlet was a foot away. I've gone outside after the sound of breaking glass to find a neighbour smashing the screen door window of his place out with his fist, I've found a comatose woman passed out in my driveway while her "friends" were too busy having fistfights amongst themselves to get her help, Sunday mornings interrupted with screams of "call the police! call the police!" emanating through the walls from next door. There was one family who's toddler nearly got ran over when I was backing out of my carport because she wandered outside and sat behind my car, naked and unwatched, between the time I got into my car and the time I started reversing out. I prevented that only by the luck of catching a slight glimpse of movement in my side mirror. Then of course there was the run of the mill car breakins, the kids from next door who kept trying to guess the code on my smart lock, the drug paraphilia tossed over the fence into my yard, and the times I went to take out the garbage to find myself in the middle of an arrest in progress.
    From all of this I have learned one truth: if your new neighbours haven't mastered the intricacies of how to close a screen door, you know you are going to have a nightmare on your hands.

^I have heard that a lot of jackassery goes on in that area of town.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Yikes Kate, that's some brutal.

I knew within minutes while my new neighbors were moving in that they were going to be 10X better neighbors than the ones that just left. It's pretty sad that new neighbors were much quieter while moving furniture and all that good stuff than the old neighbors just living here, who I think made a racket for the sake of making a racket.

I could even add a lot to those stories Kate. Drive by shootings, people finding random bullet holes in several walls the morning after from gangbangers that don't really care if their shooting up the whole lane to get the one they're looking for. Some handicapped person getting set on fire alive. (I wish I was making this up) countless break ins. Child abduction, child predation. Instances of missing persons in that area that should scare anybody. Additionally extensive subletting goes on in some of the complexes where *residents* are often not on the lease, but this given the other look because the rents getting paid and people next door to you that could very well be living by alias and for ample reason. I don't have to go too far to paint the whole picture.

Anybody choosing to raise a family in some of those complex's should consider moving anywhere else. Even out of town.

Can't afford to live anywhere else? A family can't afford the years of trauma and everlasting deleterious impact involved in growing up in some of those complexes.

Our versions of the ghetto.

Even worse considering how less understood it is. At least when people decide to move in the ghetto they know full in advance what they are getting themselves in for. Not a recent thing either. Problems that have been going on for decades.

In the USA...

Nobody trusts their neighbors more than old, rich white people
    Published: Apr 13, 2016

Age is also a factor. The younger generations are less likely than older Americans to trust their neighbors, and this is true even when accounting for income differences.

Overall, people in this country seem to have grown less trusting. As this animated graphic shows, it’s been a downward spiral going all the way back to 1972.

And not surprisingly, the social fabric tends to fray amid distrust. According to the General Social Society, less than half of the people polled said they spend social evenings with neighbors at least once a month. That number was up at 61% in 1974.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/nob...ry_top_stories

APRIL 13, 2016
    Americans divided on how much they trust their neighbors
    BY GEORGE GAO

Urban residents – who are less likely than suburban or rural residents to say they feel very safe in their neighborhoods – are also less likely to say they trust all or most of their neighbors.

The demographic differences on neighborly trust are largely related to economic class,..."

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...eir-neighbors/
    Last edited by KC; 13-04-2016 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    An Edmonton man is on trial this week for allegedly dousing his sleeping neighbours with gasoline and threatening to set them on fire.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...told-1.2735950

Whoever was it said we needn't waste money on mental health issues...
    Forgot about this, so this is late, but just following up:
    Edmonton man falls, whacks head in prisoner's box during sentencing

BY TONY BLAIS
    FIRST POSTED: MONDAY, NOVEMBER 03, 2014 05:51 PM MST

An Edmonton man's sentencing for dousing his sleeping neighbours with gasoline while holding a propane torch was adjourned Monday after he keeled over in court.

Gordon Govenlock, 44, was checked out by paramedics after "taking a spill and losing consciousness" as a result of bashing his head against a wall in the prisoner's box.
    Source
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Fascinating:

USA ...

Fence dispute leads to Indiana lawnmower shootout

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-...mower-shootout

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Fascinating:

USA ...

Fence dispute leads to Indiana lawnmower shootout

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-...mower-shootout

It all boils down to mindset, in most societies such a seemingly insignificant dispute would not lead to the use of deadly force. But because a certain country clings to the mythos and romanticism of frontier justice the escalation of violence is not only possible but expected. Hence, why would two grown men go around carrying sidearms in their own backyards?

I watched a similar video last year where a man was shot in front of his house by his neighbor in front of his child. And the victim has armed as well but it did no good as he was taken by surprise and had no opportunity to unholster his sidearm.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

cause... wait for it.... murica!

Everyone is a tough guy when they be packin' heat.
    Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

The whole episode is just so sordid. In Canada, typically, (I state that as proviso) the most aggressive of neighbors might flip a finger, tell somebody to **** off, or tell em where to go and how to get there. In the US the method of dealing with conflict is twirling and brandishing a fire arm while cutting the lawn and getting shot up for it. The actions of both are despicable.

Firearm related détente being a myth as per this instance. Would call this an escalation in arms..