Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 344041424344
Results 4,301 to 4,384 of 4384

Thread: ICE District Developments | Under Construction

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

In a couple years it will be 4th and 5th.

Test holes being done inside ye ol' Ice District presentation centre. I've never seen that done inside a building before.
    www.decl.org

^ the old brookfield office? I've always felt that building just needed a brick reclad and add some retail bays to fit right in on the street.

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    Test holes being done inside ye ol' Ice District presentation centre. I've never seen that done inside a building before.
    What the heck is a Test Hole?.. Glory Hole?
    Skyscraper Enthusiast

I'd rather C2E than work!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_sample
    To determine the load bearing quality of the soil.

Test hole? Are they adding on, or is there potentially something more. Very interesting!
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

It wouldn't make much sense to add on. More likely whoever owns the property isn't expecting to start construction for at least a couple years yet so they would rather keep the building up and generating revenue while they get their design, permits and sales all in place.
    There can only be one.

I kind of suspected that but only inquire as we don't know if there was problem from the past. A skinny tower would be awesome there.

I'm hearing a tower of some sort. No specifics or timelines.
    www.decl.org

Man, both Google and Bing really need to update their satellite imagery. It looks like a completely different city.

^^
    Thanks for that insight. A skinny 15-20 stories would be more than suffice. Anything more is a bonus. I would love a concept of two suites per floor with a single penthouse.

A nice little comparison - 6 Months of progress.

Last edited by S3RI3S; 08-10-2017 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Added a pic

C2E SME

What a difference!
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

First One is Always Free

Great photos. Goodbye Manulife from that angle. Encore and Tower B will fill some gaps in there nicely though.
    Skyscraper Enthusiast

Thanks again to all our photo warriors whom have contributed- phone or good camera.
    Encore and Tower B will just make that view better.

Quote Originally Posted by S3RI3S View Post
    A nice little comparison - 6 Months of progress.

Reminds me of Sim City haha.

Only wish they would build at the sim city speed though lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    ^^
    Thanks for that insight. A skinny 15-20 stories would be more than suffice. Anything more is a bonus. I would love a concept of two suites per floor with a single penthouse.
    Permitted height in HA Zone is 115.0m. Or DC2 application.
    www.decl.org

^^
    Speaking of zoning , is there a map readily available of downtown's current zoning?

C2E Continued Contributor

^^
    Speaking of zoning , is there a map readily available of downtown's current zoning?
    https://maps.edmonton.ca/map.aspx

C2E Long Term Contributor

twitter.com/jwmarriottedm
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I saw that an hour go when i zipped by. Rogers
    That would be cool, but the Christmas tree needs to be in the middle imo.

Given that is public skate, I doubt the tree would be on the ice surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post
    For the duration leading up to and slightly after the holidays, why not? People can do circles around it for a 360 view; and come next year - if legalized- the 240 can loop around the 360 for a better optic

For the duration leading up to and slightly after the holidays, why not? People can do circles around it for a 360 view; and come next year - if legalized- the 240 can loop around the 360 for a better optic
    Have you ever been to public skate? Either someone would take out the tree or the tree would take someone out!

Rockefeller ice rink doesnt have their tree in the middle

https://ssl.c.photoshelter.com/img-g...80419-9016.jpg

Have you ever been to public skate? Either someone would take out the tree or the tree would take someone out!
    Endless times. I even played hockey and did figureskate and never had a problem. Have you ever been to Manhatten and skated around the famous tree? So people or a tree ca't clash with each other from that position? You hit a tree because you don't pay attention; skates don't steer themselves but people do.

Sometimes I really think people just have zero imagination. "Tree plus ice? There's absolutely no way to make it work. Scrap the idea and burn the rendering because it's heresy."

How about a temporary round bench seat in the middle that surrounds a Christmas tree? Is that too much of an obstacle? Maybe a little snowy island surrounds the tree so people can't skate close enough to do damage to it or themselves. There are a multitude of ways that this could work if you bother to try to have a positive view of it.

The still photos folks are generously providing are better - but here are the "official" district cams: http://icedistrictproperties.com/ice...ct/live-feeds/
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    Sometimes I really think people just have zero imagination. "Tree plus ice? There's absolutely no way to make it work. Scrap the idea and burn the rendering because it's heresy."

How about a temporary round bench seat in the middle that surrounds a Christmas tree? Is that too much of an obstacle? Maybe a little snowy island surrounds the tree so people can't skate close enough to do damage to it or themselves. There are a multitude of ways that this could work if you bother to try to have a positive view of it.
    It is called looking at it from a legal point of view in terms of liability. Companies/corporate consider these things. Judging from how OEG shuts down bars that use their name in any slight way, I imagine the legal team would be on something like this.

While I appreciate your positive outtake on everything in life (blue skying is fun after all), not everyone can afford that luxury. It isn't that much of a stretch to put the tree outside of the ice and have it as a nice setting for pictures. Having been to public skate a few times at Rogers in the community rink, people are awful at skating and a giant obstacle in the middle isn't a very good idea, even if it looked nice or pretty. People that play hockey or have figure skated are good skaters, but usually, public skating folks don't have the same acumen of those that have participated in various ice sports.

Anyway, OEG obviously has plans to bring events to the space. It will be a question of the extent they plan on utilizing the said space. Renders and the imagination are one thing, while in practice is another. This isn't the City of Edmonton we're talking about, so they don't really have a civic duty to have programming in this space year round - they are still a business that wants to make money, and I think people forget that with this project sometimes.
    Last edited by Moodib; 12-10-2017 at 05:54 PM.

So on a different note here, what are the protocols when it comes to a fire evac when highrises share the same podium or parkade? I know of two stage systems, but my knowledge is limited to smaller developments. Do the sibling buildings carry a full alarm after a stage 2 delay?

Just to stir the pot even more , would that mean rogers place is tied in to the whole complex because of the parkade?

It is called looking at it from a legal point of view in terms of liability. Companies/corporate consider these things. Judging from how OEG shuts down bars that use their name in any slight way, I imagine the legal team would be on something like this.

While I appreciate your positive outtake on everything in life (blue skying is fun after all), not everyone can afford that luxury. It isn't that much of a stretch to put the tree outside of the ice and have it as a nice setting for pictures. Having been to public skate a few times at Rogers in the community rink, people are awful at skating and a giant obstacle in the middle isn't a very good idea, even if it looked nice or pretty. People that play hockey or have figure skated are good skaters, but usually, public skating folks don't have the same acumen of those that have participated in various ice sports.

Anyway, OEG obviously has plans to bring events to the space. It will be a question of the extent they plan on utilizing the said space. Renders and the imagination are one thing, while in practice is another. This isn't the City of Edmonton we're talking about, so they don't really have a civic duty to have programming in this space year round - they are still a business that wants to make money, and I think people forget that with this project sometimes.
    Not everyone can afford to look at potential ways that it could work? Do you have a personal stake in it? Unless your answer is yes, you can afford to not be perpetually negative about possibilities here. Realistically there are ways to do it. There are also ways to homogenize it, after which I'm sure the discussion will turn to how boring and cookie cutter it turned out.

I'm not on their legal team and obviously have no stake in the project. I'm just a guy who isn't content to tear down a potential project because it might be more difficult than the status quo.

Not everyone can afford to look at potential ways that it could work? Do you have a personal stake in it? Unless your answer is yes, you can afford to not be perpetually negative about possibilities here. Realistically there are ways to do it. There are also ways to homogenize it, after which I'm sure the discussion will turn to how boring and cookie cutter it turned out.

I'm not on their legal team and obviously have no stake in the project. I'm just a guy who isn't content to tear down a potential project because it might be more difficult than the status quo.
    You're mistaking me for others on this board. I'm hardly perpetually negative. Just pointing out that people have different perspectives on this and some must​ think more strategically.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Nice, tree placement debate lol.

First One is Always Free

∆∆∆ Great photo (s) as usual @ B.ike. Where did you take that?
    Skyscraper Enthusiast

Taken from the UofA Engineering DICE building

https://maps.edmonton.ca/map.aspx?lookingFor=Zoning
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Coming off of the Whitemud onto Fox Drive, the JW and Stantec are both quite visible now.
    www.decl.org

Job No 265568154-002
    Description: To construct temporary tents and mobile structures including temporary outdoor rink (NHL Centennial Fan Tour)
    Plan 1425251 Blk 9E Lot 7
    Applicant: OILERS ENTERTAINMENT CANADA CORP.
    Create Date: 10/31/2017 8:34:25 AM

Tower A has officially surpassed epcor!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbDbURij...by=icedistrict
    Last edited by S3RI3S; 04-11-2017 at 02:13 PM. Reason: english

Tower A official has officially surpassed epcor!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbDbURij...by=icedistrict
    It's the start of a new era.

For a moment I thought this was an image of Calgary.

Source: http://www.yourtruhome.com/edmonton-...gates-on-117th
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    For a moment I thought this was an image of Calgary.

Source: http://www.yourtruhome.com/edmonton-...gates-on-117th
    Other than shutting down the city center airport, moving the rail yard north was a smart move for downtown. Calgary **** the bed there in my opinion.

Here's a short video that compiles the proposed construction progress of the Ice District, from 2014. (Click the image to get to Flickr.) The schedule remains relatively true to this depiction, though seemingly a bit behind.

I'm not entirely certain who created the individual renderings.

Edmonton's Ice District - Proposed Construction Schedule (from 2014) on Flickr.

But I do know we've come a long way, babe.

Quote Originally Posted by Spill View Post
    Here's a short video that compiles the proposed construction progress of the Ice District, from 2014. (Click the image to get to Flickr.) The schedule remains relatively true to this depiction, though seemingly a bit behind.

I'm not entirely certain who created the individual renderings.

Edmonton's Ice District - Proposed Construction Schedule (from 2014) on Flickr.
    Cool find, looks like BIM or something similar https://www.autodesk.com/solutions/bim

So on a different note here, what are the protocols when it comes to a fire evac when highrises share the same podium or parkade? I know of two stage systems, but my knowledge is limited to smaller developments. Do the sibling buildings carry a full alarm after a stage 2 delay?

Just to stir the pot even more , would that mean rogers place is tied in to the whole complex because of the parkade?
    I guess it will depend where the fire doors/walls are. If they share the same podium or parkade you'd need to evacuate both.

Baccarat temp. parking refused, going to SDAB tomorrow (131 surface stalls)
    www.decl.org

Interesting. Back story may be more interesting.

^Not really any back story, I'll find the D.O.'s decision and post. Non-accessory is not permitted along 104 Avenue I believe, or maybe discretionary.
    www.decl.org

Excellent. One step closer to that Historical Zoning we've all been fighting for.
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

Do you mean temporary parking on the site of the Baccarat is refused? Does this mean someone at city hall would rather leave it standing?

Good. Although I assume that may have been the only decision the DO could have made?

Hopefully the SDAB doesn't allow this either.

Sorry, 310 stalls not 131. Pertinent info is on page 11 of this SDAB agenda - http://edmontontribunals.ca/docs/November_8_HR2.pdf
    www.decl.org

Hahahaha. Hilarious at how little effort they were going to be putting into their parking lot as proposed.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Hahahaha. Hilarious at how little effort they were going to be putting into their parking lot as proposed.
    ...no kidding, a pretty embarrassing proposal. A completely gravel lot, with no drainage, no handicapped stalls, minimal trees / landscaping. At least try to make it somewhat appealing, even if temporary.

^you mean, the design was consistent with 90% of the surface parking in Edmonton? A good decision, I wish the same rules applied to those that already have permits.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by mcr View Post
    ...no kidding, a pretty embarrassing proposal. A completely gravel lot, with no drainage, no handicapped stalls, minimal trees / landscaping. At least try to make it somewhat appealing, even if temporary.

For who ?

The skids grazing up to Boyle Street Community Services ?

Top_Dawg doubts they give a fuq.

Why snazzy it up if excavators are soon to come in and dig a hole for construction of a major tower. You guys would spend a lot of money to fix it up nice just to soon destroy it? I think Katz is smarter than that. That's something the COE would do though.

Why do they need more parking anyway? Downtown is awash in available parking spaces.
    I would rather they just keep the Baccarat building up until they are ready for phase 2.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

It could even be leased out. Take the signs off, give it some paint. It would make a good chinese restaurant.

Was at the hearing this AM as an observer. Curious to see what the decision will be. Interesting arguments.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Why snazzy it up if excavators are soon to come in and dig a hole for construction of a major tower. You guys would spend a lot of money to fix it up nice just to soon destroy it? I think Katz is smarter than that. That's something the COE would do though.
    Hey it doesn't have to be the Taj Mahal of parking lots, but at least put the minimum amount of effort in with asphalt & parking lines, minimum amount of trees required. "Soon" in this context is 3 years, they'll make the money back easily in parking revenue.

And make them use it for their concert semis and tour buses instead of parking most of them in the public street.
    There can only be one.

Must ... not ... drool ...

5 more?

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    5 more?
    Hmm. On ICE District Instagram dated November 3rd it was 150.535 m. That leaves approx 42m left. It's been 8 days since.....sigh.I know it's hard to figure out. What a beauty though.
    Skyscraper Enthusiast

9 more for the JW if I recall.
    www.decl.org

Wonder how much units in the Ice District would fetch in 5 years. Hopefully not much more than now. I would invest in the ID right now if I knew for sure what my long-term plans would be. What an amazing project though.

The next phase is not guaranteed is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Abii View Post
    Wonder how much units in the Ice District would fetch in 5 years. Hopefully not much more than now. I would invest in the ID right now if I knew for sure what my long-term plans would be. What an amazing project though.

The next phase is not guaranteed is it?
    Depends on the economy. I wouldn't expect the values to increase dramatically considering they're setting the price ceiling downtown and there's lots of competition from other developments coming down the pipeline.
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

Greyhound site will be rental and getting going above grade in Dec.

Phase 2 north will be late 2018 or early 2019.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Greyhound site will be rental and getting going above grade in Dec.

Phase 2 north will be late 2018 or early 2019.
    Is phase 2 actually confirmed? Last a saw was just a render of a resi complex?

What render?

^ Possibly referring to this?

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Wow. It'll never happen the way it's depicted of course but that'd be pretty cool.

^Because it's Edmonton? Council just has to be tough on expectations.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Please note the "conceptual" wording on the bottom right of that pic

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    ^Because it's Edmonton? Council just has to be tough on expectations.
    No, because it's conceptual.

That land is not going to make a lot of money as is. Their play is development and I cannot wait to see what is in store.
    www.decl.org

Conceptual only for purposes of rezoning only, however there is discussions with the City about what kind of amenity space they'd like to see.
    www.decl.org

Conceptual only for purposes of rezoning only, however there is discussions with the City about what kind of amenity space they'd like to see.
    40 lane bike lane // highway right through downtown.

Precisely. The City has options. Just like it did with Brewery District.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 344041424344