Results 4,401 to 4,500 of 4540

Thread: ICE District Developments | Under Construction

I'd rather C2E than work!

C2E Long Term Contributor

Lookin' good!
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I noticed they finally installed pedestrian traffic signals on 101 St at the crossing next to the Joey Bell and the COE tower.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I noticed they finally installed pedestrian traffic signals on 101 St at the crossing next to the Joey Bell and the COE tower.
    good! One of my friends who works at the City finds that crosswalk very dangerous especially in the mornings.

Yes I've nearly been beaned a few times myself in that crosswalk. And it gets busier during Rogers Place events.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

From December 19, 2017.

The clouds were not cooperating on New Years Day.

ICE District (constr 2018.01.01)a small by Spi11, on Flickr

That doesn't even look like Edmonton at first glance.
    www.decl.org

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

And people are starting to take notice. We still have a ways to go but it’s so refreshing to see the positive changes we have seen so far. It will only get better.

Quote Originally Posted by Spill View Post
    The clouds were not cooperating on New Years Day.

ICE District (constr 2018.01.01)a small by Spi11, on Flickr
    The clouds may not have worked for you, but it did wonders for that great shot. Did you noticed that the moon was at the same precised height as that tower from that shot?

^^
    No you cant recognize our city through that picture. What is more profounding is being out of the city for 3-4 months at a time then coming back to see a drastic changing.

^
    I'm really excited to see what is planned for north of Rogers, and how that part will compliment the skyline. One thing is certain is that the density of the core will be that much more.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Gonna need a taller shot when stantec is at height! ^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks B.ike. You always have great shots!

Yup. Pretty good eye for this stuff.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

The other day when walking by I noticed a sign up on the NE corner of 106 Avenue and 102 Street for a proposed rezoning to allow for an interim parking lot for up to 10 years. The map on the sign shows the same area that the OEG got their 3-year approval for a surface parking lot a couple of years back.

The rezoning application suggests the plans by OEG to redevelop the area north of 105th Avenue for high density residential have been put on ice indefinitely.

By the time it gets developed we may need a new arena... ~25 years. Hopefully things pick up again sooner then that.

^^incorrect.
    www.decl.org

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    The other day when walking by I noticed a sign up on the NE corner of 106 Avenue and 102 Street for a proposed rezoning to allow for an interim parking lot for up to 10 years. The map on the sign shows the same area that the OEG got their 3-year approval for a surface parking lot a couple of years back.

The rezoning application suggests the plans by OEG to redevelop the area north of 105th Avenue for high density residential have been put on ice indefinitely.
    are you sure they’re new signs and not still there from the initial application (which was for 10 years before being reduced to 3)?
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

We need to word things carefully and not throw out conjectures like this. Stop this pathetic anti "It won't happen shiites!" We are no longer in the suppressive Klein era. If that was the case, we would not have towers like Epcor, ID towers, Edmonton towers, Enbridge place and a whole bunch of condo towers, and more to come. Pertinent dialogue is important, but this is just plain crap!

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    We need to word things carefully and not throw out conjectures like this. Stop this pathetic anti "It won't happen shiites!" We are no longer in the suppressive Klein era. If that was the case, we would not have towers like Epcor, ID towers, Edmonton towers, Enbridge place and a whole bunch of condo towers, and more to come. Pertinent dialogue is important, but this is just plain crap!
    Check with your doc and pharmacist and see if your on the right prescription - as your constant lectures and ridicule of other posters is becoming obsessive. Your little diatribes are barely literate ... please check use of grammar and pay attention to sentence structure.

Someone has to say something when people do shilts like this. It is unfair and immoral. Would you appreciate people doing stuff like that to you? Had the individual made an inquire that would be fine. That type of tone has potential to do harm.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...oyle-1.4558476

She remembers a group of men laughing at a man who was trying to make it back to the Boyle Street area but was stumbling because he was intoxicated.

He fell down, and instead of helping him, they laughed. Moses had to help him up.

She used to work at Rexall Place for hockey games, and she said she sees a bit of irony there.

"I can't tell you how many stories of white males getting drunk out of their mind, but yet people help them," she said. "No one seems to care, but yet these people on the streets, they're drunk, they're freezing, but [other people] don't seem to give a damn."

It's good to be the king.

That type of tone has potential to do harm.
    Hahah, like your incoherent, nonsensical, almost indecipherable screeds are of benefit to anyone.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post

are you sure they’re new signs and not still there from the initial application (which was for 10 years before being reduced to 3)?
    I suppose that's possible. I've put a call in to the City staffer who is listed as the contact to find out.

Great article. I was little bothered with " white rich " statement though. I attend games and I see more than white people. While the article has underlining messaging of tolerant and respect; the story teller has the same mentality that she was conveying. Slightly reductive imo.

Uhh, "white rich" doesn't appear in the article.

Do you smell toast?
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

" white privilege or rich" what is the difference? Is every white person privileged in this city? I do smell toast when I see poor white people as well. You have never been approached by white panhandlers, or seen white folks living in less than stellar settings accommodation? Is there any poignant views you have to share on the forum, or do you just enjoy having your nose up my arse?
    Last edited by ctzn-Ed; 02-03-2018 at 09:47 AM.

I get that you don't really see the point of spelling, punctuation & grammar but to those of us who try to be adept users of the English language these things all have very specific meanings. Putting something into quotations that's not in the article & saying it's the problem in the article is sloppy, lazy & disingenuous.

Furthermore, considering that in my youth I *was* a street kid in Toronto, squatting in abandoned warehouses waiting for a shelter spot to open up, helping friends try and break the cycle that led them to the streets & trying to get by however I could, your assumptions about me & my experiences are as flawed as your grasp of language & complex socio-economic issues like homelessness.

Re read the article where she has white privilege in brackets. I never assumed anything of your past except asking you If all white folks is privileged.

Re read the article where she has white privilege in brackets. I never assumed anything of your past except asking you If all white folks is privileged.
    I don't think that the article implies there are no Caucasian homeless people. Being homeless and being white are not mutually exclusive.

[White Privilege] means if you're dressed nice, you're clean and you're caucasian, people are more likely to help you. But if you're homeless dressed in rags, and dirty, they are not as likely to help (regardless of race).

All white people not being equally privileged does not mean white privilege doesn't exist. And if you don't think white privilege exists you're even more ignorant & backwards than I thought, which is truly an amazing accomplishment.

Let's differentiate how we're interpreting this. Are we referring to White vs other colours, or are we arguing the term privilege?

C2E Continued Contributor

First One is Always Free

White privilege doesn't exist. Here's a point of view i agree with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjHVkm2a-2s
    Last edited by Black Star; 02-03-2018 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meo View Post
    I don't think that the article implies there are no Caucasian homeless people. Being homeless and being white are not mutually exclusive.

[White Privilege] means if you're dressed nice, you're clean and you're caucasian, people are more likely to help you. But if you're homeless dressed in rags, and dirty, they are not as likely to help (regardless of race).
    I would agree with your statement; but as a coloured man I'm just as privilege as what you described. By adding white to It, their is racial overtone intended; had that been addressed as privileged people, then I would have been fine with that. The article has accusation of racism between the fine lines, and that is where I have the problem with that. If we want to be accepted , we have to be a part of that game. I have always been treated with respect by white people even when I was a super poor kid living in this country with less than flattering clothes and all. I have had to deal with some of the people that article mentioned. Their tone, attitude, and disposition were f?ck you; my acceptance was because I was the opposite. You can be poor and show respect for yourself, and that is how you gain acceptance. I'm sure there are some folks that mistreat others. To give an example of what I'm talking about, I was visiting a friend by the Ada Blvd. area about a month ago. I had to stop by seven eleven nearby to check on my tire. A young man asks if I had change which I did not and said, "no." The response I got back was, "**** you!" There are a lot of these situations. Down and out with dignity, I will help any and every time. There are privileges in every race at the hockey game, so why "white privilege?"
    Last edited by ctzn-Ed; 02-03-2018 at 11:29 AM.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

^An interesting perspective that I don't often think about. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Meo View Post

Regardless, the term distracts from the article, from the missive, and sustains prejudicial tone. Moses also references White youth getting drunk. The inference is throughout Moses quotations. White Privilege, white kids getting drunk out of their minds, and in context white people not helping anybody but whites. She doesn't state the latter, its inferred.

That reverse racism shouldn't be stated in the article. Its at cross purposes to the supposed want of bringing people together and caring about all. If instead Moses wants to state reactive stereotypical generalizations and is granted a voice to speak that she is furthering the opposite of that which she would apparently want. She is furthering racial tones and disharmony with the comments.

The worst thing is that her upbringing likely had instilled her with the divisive tones. The race struggle tones.

The article should be about economic stratification in society, about homelessness struggle, and what to do about that. Given that homelessness is not race specific but lack of funds specific its about economic difference.
    Last edited by Replacement; 02-03-2018 at 12:59 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Thank you replacement! It definitely missed an opportunity for a harmonized dialogue to this matter.

Thank you replacement! It definitely missed an opportunity for a harmonized dialogue to this matter.
    I also found it interesting that you were being ridiculed by someone that would claim "bigot, regressive, racist" had anybody else challenged your use of spelling and language in that way. Given that you are "coloured" Its even possible that English isn't your first language or your first learned language.

The one thing you shouldn't do, however, is for instance contained in post 4429. Theres no reason to do that. Its what Noodle is tactically trying to get opposed posters to do. He wants to inflame the passion through ridicule and elicit that form of reply. His attempt is to try to grind down opposing viewpoints in that manner.

noodle will now react to me and I'll wish him a good weekend in the interests of harmony and better understanding
    Last edited by Replacement; 02-03-2018 at 01:26 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

One more point. A poster has acknowledged in another thread that they have a disability. That poster even states that it impacts how they write. I find it unfortunate that the poster in question is being attacked on the basis of imperfect writing by one poster here. Who has apparently done that in serial fashion from thread to thread. To the extent of even calling the poster, with an alleged disability, an I d i o t. (through gif meme) I would even wonder if that is "regressive" behavior.
    Last edited by Replacement; 02-03-2018 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    I also found it interesting that you were being ridiculed by someone that would claim "bigot, regressive, racist" had anybody else challenged your use of spelling and language in that way. Given that you are "coloured" Its even possible that English isn't your first language or your first learned language.

The one thing you shouldn't do, however, is for instance contained in post 4429. Theres no reason to do that. Its what Noodle is tactically trying to get opposed posters to do. He wants to inflame the passion through ridicule and elicit that form of reply. His attempt is to try to grind down opposing viewpoints in that manner.

noodle will now react to me and I'll wish him a good weekend in the interests of harmony and better understanding

He/she/ze whatever is a fraud. He/she/ze’s entire narrative is phoney. Don’t even engage. The unstated aim is to destroy the forum.

English is my 7th language learned; I'm not worry with my grammar or punctuation. My problem is when I type, sometimes I get muscle spasms that is hard to control, so mistakes will happen. I graduated from high school and my two degrees at the top of my classes. I'm also well aware of his games; what he didn't understand was that I understand psychology quite well and knew eventually he will make grave errors with his childest behavior from a so called man. He just made that target and got bitched slap for the public to see his true colours and supposedly intelligence. He had articulated that he was also a street kid and exemplified for us why we sane folks are tired of the demands for help from the ignorants that beliefs there is no social moral responsibility obligation they have to meet but just give them what they want. IMO, I would not be surprised If people like him - not him personally- would literally physically assault people who are physically challenged. That said not every homeless individuals are equal as some have mental issues, so I judge based on observant and assessment

English is my 7th language learned; I'm not worry with my grammar or punctuation. My problem is when I type, sometimes I get muscle spasms that is hard to control, so mistakes will happen. I graduated from high school and my two degrees at the top of my classes. I'm also well aware of his games; what he didn't understand was that I understand psychology quite well and knew eventually he will make grave errors with his childest behavior from a so called man. He just made that target and got bitched slap for the public to see his true colours and supposedly intelligence. He had articulated that he was also a street kid and exemplified for us why we sane folks are tired of the demands for help from the ignorants that beliefs there is no social moral responsibility obligation they have to meet but just give them what they want. IMO, I would not be surprised If people like him - not him personally- would literally physically assault people who are physically challenged. That said not every homeless individuals are equal as some have mental issues, so I judge based on observant and assessment
    Ok guys, shut up on this. I didn't subscribe to this thread to get e-mail notifications of your banter. Thanks.

You are absolutely right, and I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

She remembers a group of men laughing at a man who was trying to make it back to the Boyle Street area but was stumbling because he was intoxicated.

He fell down, and instead of helping him, they laughed. Moses had to help him up.

She used to work at Rexall Place for hockey games, and she said she sees a bit of irony there.

"I can't tell you how many stories of white males getting drunk out of their mind, but yet people help them," she said. "No one seems to care, but yet these people on the streets, they're drunk, they're freezing, but [other people] don't seem to give a damn."

Of course it's the CBC that pushes this crap. White privilege is just a way to be racist against white people. I thought we all learned that it was wrong to be racist to people, no matter the skin color.

Moving on, what's wrong with gentrification? Should the area north of the arena stay as is forever, just because the Boyle Street Services is there? Things will change as the city grows. But downtown isn't going to be vibrant if we abandon areas of downtown because other's consider it 'white privilege'.

There are many forms of "gentrification". Some more exclusive and some more inclusive forms of development can occur.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

^^Gentrification serves no real purpose other than prettying up the pig, with apologies to pigs..

Its basically making something nicer looking so that there is increased property value, increased CRL level, increased property tax, and more significantly increased rent or buying cost. Which is the only thing experienced as a resultant by most people.

Sure gentrification serves developers, investors, 1 percenters with tax loopholes but its taxpayers and buyers and renters inevitably footing costs.

Years were spent recently gentrifying Alberta Avenue. Pretty light standards, nicer planters, the typical attempts. Mostly cosmetic applications. Identical social problems exist, identical crime, murder.

One sometimes wonders if such edifice is just so people driving by with doors locked can think of the areas as looking less bombed out.

I get a bit offended when development is about superficial cosmetic edifice rather than actual community building. Rogers moved into a particular community, that community pre-existed. Is the Gentrification missive in this case just to evict? To somewhere else?

Because what was actually expressed during the Arena build and consultation is community inclusiveness, not community departure.

Finally, gentrification is often invariably at cross purposes to artistic communities that spring up in lower cost neighborhoods/cities and with the result of THOSE making an area look and feel vibrant and interesting. Gentrification actually modifies the artistic nature and substitutes bland design and homogenous building codes. In the sake of progress I guess.
    Last edited by Replacement; 02-03-2018 at 03:09 PM.

^There are many variations, types, modes, degrees, and definitions of gentrification. True.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^^Gentrification serves no real purpose other than prettying up the pig, with apologies to pigs..

Its basically making something nicer looking so that there is increased property value, increased CRL level, increased property tax, and more significantly increased rent or buying cost. Which is the only thing experienced as a resultant by most people.

Sure gentrification serves developers, investors, 1 percenters with tax loopholes but its taxpayers and buyers and renters inevitably footing costs.

Years were spent recently gentrifying Alberta Avenue. Pretty light standards, nicer planters, the typical attempts. Mostly cosmetic applications. Identical social problems exist, identical crime, murder.

One sometimes wonders if such edifice is just so people driving by with doors locked can think of the areas as looking less bombed out.

I get a bit offended when development is about superficial cosmetic edifice rather than actual community building. Rogers moved into a particular community, that community pre-existed. Is the Gentrification missive in this case just to evict? To somewhere else?

Because what was actually expressed during the Arena build and consultation is community inclusiveness, not community departure.

Finally, gentrification is often invariably at cross purposes to artistic communities that spring up in lower cost neighborhoods/cities and with the result of THOSE making an area look and feel vibrant and interesting. Gentrification actually modifies the artistic nature and substitutes bland design and homogenous building codes. In the sake of progress I guess.
    you’re making two assumptions and i’m not sure i agree with either.

actually, i’m pretty sure i don’t agree with either.

with apologies to pigs, the area may well now be a pig but it wasn’t always. it wasn’t that long ago that it was an active railroad oriented service industry hub. just because we allowed it to turn into a pig doesn’t mean we should keep the pig.

”the community” you reference was not particularly well served by that pig and leaving the pig be does no more service for that community than lipstick (on that we agree).

is gentrification the solution? not on its own but gentrification isn’t the problem either. the solutions will take political and social will independent of gentrification which is often no more than a scapegoat for a lack of that political and societal will. your blaming “developers, investors, 1 percenters with tax loopholes” leaving taxpayers and buyers and renters inevitably footing costs only displays a lack of knowledge of that which you post.

^Well I'm not amazed that a person that has worked with developers wouldn't agree. I wouldn't expect you to. But I don't think you are any more objective on the subject. WE come at this from much different perspectives. I come at it from a Social Work perspective as well as first person perspective and seeing people kicked out either directly due to not suiting the new surroundings or evicted on the basis of rent increases. No, those people don't care that the light standards are better and the sidewalks a little fancier. They're looking for a new place to live. One that isn't gentrified.
    Last edited by Replacement; 02-03-2018 at 11:21 PM.

So noodle is from Toronto. Shoulda known. That explains everything.

Replacement. I’ve been living in the downtown now for three years. And from the time Ice was just a hole in the ground until now I’ve yet to see the shuffling of homeless people away from the District. I also know people who work with these shelters you speak of that haven’t felt the force of relocation either.

You’re entitled to your opinion, but investment in a city’s downtown means more investor interest. That means more taxes for the rest of the city and ultimately more muscle for social programs. The health of the entire city is closely tied to the vibrancy of it’s core.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^Well I'm not amazed that a person that has worked with developers wouldn't agree. I wouldn't expect you to. But I don't think you are any more objective on the subject. WE come at this from much different perspectives. I come at it from a Social Work perspective as well as first person perspective and seeing people kicked out either directly due to not suiting the new surroundings or evicted on the basis of rent increases. No, those people don't care that the light standards are better and the sidewalks a little fancier. They're looking for a new place to live. One that isn't gentrified.
    well if you want to make it personal, i’m okay with that. i might not be “more objective” [than you??] but i’m not any less objective either. and from my perspective, people who are homeless or marginal and relying on what you are trying to protect don’t need replacement housing, they need and deserve better housing.

well if you want to make it personal, i’m okay with that. i might not be “more objective” [than you??] but i’m not any less objective either. and from my perspective, people who are homeless or marginal and relying on what you are trying to protect don’t need replacement housing, they need and deserve better housing.
    Make it personal? You'd just finished telling me I have no knowledge on the subject. You stated;

"Your blaming (.....) only displays a lack of knowledge of that which you post."

How would you take such rebuttal?

I'm merely replying to what I percieved was a dismissive post to counter that ones knowledge and perspective on this is obviously going to be related to ones experience with the same. Please look again at my previous post.

I never stated people wouldn't like, want, or deserve better housing. With certain initiatives that occurs, with others its merely displacement. Here or elsewhere and obviously my post was speaking in general terms of the dynamic, while being posted specific to this one. If that wasn't clear in my post I'm sorry for that part.

I'm merely stating that you have a different perspective, and I wouldn't expect otherwise, which is what I stated. I inferred a DYNAMIC at work due to your history in development which I feel likely pertains to the view you might have on this. Does that invalidate that a Social Worker that has worked with displaced populations over 40yrs can't offer an alternate perspective without a claim from you that I lack any knowledge on the topic. I have different knowledge.

Now if there is something specific in my reply to you that you find particularly troubling then please denote exactly what that is as I've done the same courtesy for you.

Again this is the difficulty with online communication. You inferred I made it personal, I didn't imo. I know some of what you've done for a living and you know in disclosure what I've done for a living. The only difference being known name and I've given you that too.

If you want to take this to pm I'm also available for that.
    Last edited by Replacement; 03-03-2018 at 09:36 AM.

So, Ice District. I've heard that they have a few tenants signed up at their 'food hall' planned for the Stantec Tower.

There is always a segment within the homeless population that consist of teenagers and young adults that grew up in middle/upper class homes wearing long hair with dreadlocks playing the "hippie panhandler" role for kicks. You see them quite often on Whyte Avenue.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    Replacement. I’ve been living in the downtown now for three years. And from the time Ice was just a hole in the ground until now I’ve yet to see the shuffling of homeless people away from the District. I also know people who work with these shelters you speak of that haven’t felt the force of relocation either.

You’re entitled to your opinion, but investment in a city’s downtown means more investor interest. That means more taxes for the rest of the city and ultimately more muscle for social programs. The health of the entire city is closely tied to the vibrancy of it’s core.
    With all due respect I work with these populations, know many individuals impacted in Edmonton, have done so for 40 years and as such I have specific information a lot of which I would not be in a position to disclose.

Again there are different perspectives on gentrifying development and one persons view, based on their experience, and based on their occupation, will quite clearly differ from another. My mistake, I acknowledge, was a prior post (post 4449) which was typed in rant font... Such posts, while being poor examples of how I can express myself, are less ideal, but borne out of frustration. So that its fair that Ken or others might rebuke me on that basis. But I think as well that those familiar with my posts realize that I was speaking generically, dynamically, and obviously with an ample amount of tongue and cheek. I'm a writer as well. Does the first line of that post not invoke mirth? Does it not set the tone for what I wrote. If I was writing a completely serious essay on the subject I don't think it would have started with "prettying up the pig, with apologies to pigs"

Next, my views are not just my own and this is an ongoing debate with gentrification. That it needs to be much more than cosmetic. I even cited one example wherein the gentrification was mostly cosmetic and I have ample first hand experience with that one having served that community and being connected with it.

I do thank you for your comment though which was respectfully conveyed as always.
    Last edited by Replacement; 03-03-2018 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    There is always a segment within the homeless population that consist of teenagers and young adults that grew up in middle/upper class homes wearing long hair with dreadlocks playing the "hippie panhandler" role for kicks. You see them quite often on Whyte Avenue.
    Would agree with this as well Thomas. I have worked and supervised a homeless shelter for 3 yrs. I won't identify which one but what you state is generally accurate with some of the population and has been part of the mix in youth homeless shelters. Another sub population are adventure based. Youth that want out of their home and are travelling around and often almost equating homeless shelters as being free hostels. Some of these youth are very resourceful in doing this and even utilize call if you need to go home provision when requiring a trip back home after their adventures. Often though these stays are shortlived. Most shelters have required that calls to caregivers or parents occur subsequent to intake and so that you get any competing backstory. So that a homeless youth who is actually a backpacker is encouraged to utilize the appropriate facility and/or given means and resources to go back home if this is appropriate.

I'll let this sidebar die a kind death if people want that or it could be resurrected in another thread if wanted. I didn't start the sidebar, merely responded to several people discussing it. Carry on with the Ice district thread although I will reply if people reply to what I've stated.
    Last edited by Replacement; 03-03-2018 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    So, Ice District. I've heard that they have a few tenants signed up at their 'food hall' planned for the Stantec Tower.
    And since this the ICE DISTRICT thread, I think this is completely relevant info. Any info on which tenants these may be?

With all due respect I work with these populations, know many individuals impacted in Edmonton, have done so for 40 years and as such I have specific information a lot of which I would not be in a position to disclose.

Again there are different perspectives on gentrifying development and one persons view, based on their experience, and based on their occupation, will quite clearly differ from another. My mistake, I acknowledge, was a prior post (post 4449) which was typed in rant font... Such posts, while being poor examples of how I can express myself, are less ideal, but borne out of frustration. So that its fair that Ken or others might rebuke me on that basis. But I think as well that those familiar with my posts realize that I was speaking generically, dynamically, and obviously with an ample amount of tongue and cheek. I'm a writer as well. Does the first line of that post not invoke mirth? Does it not set the tone for what I wrote. If I was writing a completely serious essay on the subject I don't think it would have started with "prettying up the pig, with apologies to pigs"

Next, my views are not just my own and this is an ongoing debate with gentrification. That it needs to be much more than cosmetic. I even cited one example wherein the gentrification was mostly cosmetic and I have ample first hand experience with that one having served that community and being connected with it.

I do thank you for your comment though which was respectfully conveyed as always.

Not a problem. I'm here to engage people in conversation and debate.

Gentrification is a fascinating urban phenomena and can be quite relativistic. Personally I find it a bit more complicated than comparing our situation to the ones in Washington, Manhattan, Detroit, etc. Whereas in some of those communities, you saw impoverished people either being forced out by high rents, or they themselves were improving their incomes and thus leaving, one can contrast against downtown Edmonton. For now, let's focus on the statistical bulk of people. Edmonton's downtown revitalization was spearheaded by developers like Qualico who saw a lack of supply in high class office space and thus built a tower on a parking lot. In the coming years, you saw growing public sentiment that we could build a "Columbus North", and have a city with luxury residential, lots of park space, good mass transit (I am the biggest critic of our system), etc. This desire was then followed by One Properties, Westrich, and a few other developers to come in and begin building upscale projects on available parking lots. Now we are starting to see that with these developments, come coffee shops, restaurants, bars, etc. All developed on vacant lands ripe for development.

The core has continued to house and shelter the homeless. You have seen more investment in social housing initiatives (again I think the city can do better here and have some ideas to do so too), and you don't see these services being shuffled out of Boyle or E.M. The social housing and social services issues in this city tend to live beside the gentrification of parking lots. Whereas in other cities, buildings were left to crumble so that developers could tear them down and build multi-million dollar units, building inspectors could be bribed to force low income people out of rentals, and small businesses would be forced out by the high rents that yuppy-ism tends to bring to an area (ex. a liquor store with tight margins shuts down because a café opens up next door forcing up rent).

The situation in Edmonton is unique. And albeit I am a major advocate for things like safe-injection sites, giving the homeless minimum wage civic jobs, and affordable housing initiatives, I don't "blame" Edmonton developers for capitalizing on economics that demanded the core become better. The two situations are kind of separate in this city, and the gentrification that is frequently vilified doesn't happen here.
    Last edited by Stevey_G; 03-03-2018 at 10:24 AM.
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Make it personal? You'd just finished telling me I have no knowledge on the subject. You stated;

"Your blaming (.....) only displays a lack of knowledge of that which you post."

I'm merely replying to what I percieved was a dismissive post to counter that ones knowledge and perspective on this is obviously going to be related to ones experience with the same. Please look again at my previous post.

I never stated people wouldn't like, want, or deserve better housing. With certain initiatives that occurs, with others its merely displacement. Here or elsewhere and obviously my post was speaking in general terms of the dynamic, while being posted specific to this one. If that wasn't clear in my post I'm sorry for that part.

I'm merely stating that you have a different perspective, and I wouldn't expect otherwise, which is what I stated. I inferred a DYNAMIC at work due to your history in development which I feel likely pertains to the view you might have on this. Does that invalidate that a Social Worker that has worked with displaced populations over 40yrs can't offer an alternate perspective without a claim from you that I lack any knowledge on the topic. I have different knowledge.

Now if there is something specific in my reply to you that you find particularly troubling then please denote exactly what that is as I've done the same courtesy for you.

Again this is the difficulty with online communication. You inferred I made it personal, I didn't imo. I know some of what you've done for a living and you know in disclosure what I've done for a living. The only difference being known name and I've given you that too.

my reference to “a lack of knowledge of that which you post” was to the development industry you so easily and readily chose to fault for that which you are familiar.

as for “known name” i don’t believe i’ve ever requested yours - although my views on anonymity are no secret - or received it from you on an unsolicited basis. but, either way, it wouldn’t change what i have posted here.

as for taking this to pm, my thoughts would be no different and i’m not sure that a two tiered forum is the best way to disseminate thoughtful discourse and exchange. i would however, be quite happy to engage in a direct conversation either by personal email or in person. i’m pretty easy to track down but happy to pm you that information if need be.

my reference to “a lack of knowledge of that which you post” was to the development industry you so easily and readily chose to fault for that which you are familiar.

as for “known name” i don’t believe i’ve ever requested yours - although my views on anonymity are no secret - or received it from you on an unsolicited basis. but, either way, it wouldn’t change what i have posted here.

as for taking this to pm, my thoughts would be no different and i’m not sure that a two tiered forum is the best way to disseminate thoughtful discourse and exchange. i would however, be quite happy to engage in a direct conversation either by personal email or in person. i’m pretty easy to track down but happy to pm you that information if need be.
    If I roam around downtown calling your name out, would you take me of a tour of UCAMA to see all the work being done. :P
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

heh, you're as old as me and so memory may be dimming as well. We had shared personal information in PM prior, and yes I did volunteer my name to you in PM. This was years ago here.

I accept your explanation albeit your wording could have been better in that it was somewhat ambiguous, as stated, and could be perceived to posit different scopes on alleged "(....)lack of knowledge of that which you post"

Don't think either that I wouldn't have first hand knowledge of developments that are worthy of scorn, as I'm sure you do. My fault was in generalizing, writing a tongue in cheek post earlier which you did not discern to be more of a rant. In fairness to you even though the post started out with "prettying up a pig, with apologies to pigs" it may not be acknowledged by all that I imbued some flippant and generalized commentary in there. I'll accept fault there as I have a tendency of mixing up joking with content and wrapping it up in rant form. Hard to follow probably.

Rants for me, while constituting the worst of my communications, are essentially cathartic, if this makes any sense.

Rather than engaging in other decompression vices, drugs, alcohol, I rant to vent. Usually harmlessly..I would think anybody reading me is well aware of this tendency.

Maybe there could be a rant font here for denoting rants that are not contained in the rant thread.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^

i’ll have you know that my memory is every bit as good as it ever was, even if it’s not quite as long as it used to be.

for what it’s worth, i have no recollection of the exchange and no longer have any pm’s older than 3 years...

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

... i would however, be quite happy to engage in a direct conversation either by personal email or in person. i’m pretty easy to track down but happy to pm you that information if need be.
    If I roam around downtown calling your name out, would you take me of a tour of UCAMA to see all the work being done. :P
    ucama still owns the lodge hotel/pendennis building so you’ll have to contact them for that.

the brighton block is already considered an active construction site under pcl’s control and responsibility for insurance and wcb provisions so even i don’t have free access.

once they have competed on-site mobilization and have safety measures and programs in place, we will look at organizing some regular tour and photo opportunities. in the interim, plans are for the site hoarding to be chain link and not solid so you’ll be able to watch what’s going on behind it without waiting to run into me on some random downtown sidewalk.
    Last edited by kcantor; 03-03-2018 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Nope. Born & raised in Sherwood Park.

Keep on being wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Nope. Born & raised in Sherwood Park.

Keep on being wrong!
    I wasn’t going to post on this off topic stuff but... note the mention of being in Toronto below.

I get that you don't really see the point of spelling, punctuation & grammar but to those of us who try to be adept users of the English language these things all have very specific meanings. Putting something into quotations that's not in the article & saying it's the problem in the article is sloppy, lazy & disingenuous.

Furthermore, considering that in my youth I *was* a street kid in Toronto, squatting in abandoned warehouses waiting for a shelter spot to open up, helping friends try and break the cycle that led them to the streets & trying to get by however I could, your assumptions about me & my experiences are as flawed as your grasp of language & complex socio-economic issues like homelessness.
    Last edited by KC; 05-03-2018 at 08:28 AM.

Not really sure where you're going with that...

What does it matter if he was from Toronto or not? Half this city is from somewhere else.

I'm pretty sure dumbones is from Trochu, so that explains a lot.

Oh, I didn't see KC's edit. Evidently he thinks "born & raised" is synonymous with "spent my entire pre-adult life in", which is pretty clearly not the case.

Neither my time spent at boarding school, nor the time spent in Toronto starting at the tail end of my teens precludes me from being "born & raised" here, nor do these periods make me "from" where they occurred. I'm no more "from" Vancouver Island than I am "from" Toronto.

Can we get back on topic & avoid the ham-fisted attempts at sniping me?

Oh, I didn't see KC's edit. Evidently he thinks "born & raised" is synonymous with "spent my entire pre-adult life in", which is pretty clearly not the case.

Neither my time spent at boarding school, nor the time spent in Toronto starting at the tail end of my teens precludes me from being "born & raised" here, nor do these periods make me "from" where they occurred. I'm no more "from" Vancouver Island than I am "from" Toronto.

Can we get back on topic & avoid the ham-fisted attempts at sniping me?
    “Nope.” “Keep on being wrong!“

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    This is truly a comprehensive, coherent & cogent reply to being shown you were completely & utterly incorrect when you tried to "GOTCHA!" me.

First One is Always Free

Ice District comment section!

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

Would've been a better story if they didn't use terms like "white male" and "white privilege".

EDIT: Didn't realize there was already a full page of dialogue on this when I posted my response. Moving on...
    Last edited by Vincent; 05-03-2018 at 09:20 AM.

This is truly a comprehensive, coherent & cogent reply to being shown you were completely & utterly incorrect when you tried to "GOTCHA!" me.
    Noodle, I just see you as such a failure at engaging in intelligent communications. (Knowledge of grammatical rules and words alone are not sufficient.)

Noodle, I just see you as such a failure at engaging in intelligent communications.
    Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    What does it matter if he was from Toronto or not? Half this city is from somewhere else.

I'm pretty sure dumbones is from Trochu, so that explains a lot.
    Come on Med! You are way more intelligent than that. You knew what Drumbone was alluding to. Surly you should be able to read between the lines?

What is drumbones alluding to? Please bring me up to speed.

Are you saying that if noodle lived here his entire life he would be a shameless booster of all things Katz?

Go into my dialogue with your buddy above his post. See how your friend behaves.

The old staples lot, it was purchased before the rest of ice? or at the same time?

im just curious what stopped katz from putting everyone into one tower and going for extereme heights ( coe + stantec + sky )
    very positive thinking, but we could have easily achieved a 290M tower?

Go into my dialogue with your buddy above his post. See how your friend behaves.
    He's not my buddy, pal.

Quote Originally Posted by S3RI3S View Post
    The old staples lot, it was purchased before the rest of ice? or at the same time?

im just curious what stopped katz from putting everyone into one tower and going for extereme heights ( coe + stantec + sky )
    Very different level of risk given the size of our market and other variables. Note all the tenants came on and were signed at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by S3RI3S View Post

Very different level of risk given the size of our market and other variables. Note all the tenants came on and were signed at the same time.
    it was no surprise edmonton was looking to consolidate their offices - as i believe was the case with stantec? So, atleast from the commercial office point of view, he had his tenants locked. Sky, would be the only risk - but i imagine it wouldnt be that tough. Unless this has to do with katz selling his ****, does coe own their tower? is it owned by katz?

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

^Katz owns the tower, not CoE.

DSC_3221
    by b/c, on Flickr

University of Alberta Earth and Atmospheric Sciences weather cam photo.(used with permission). This evening.
    Skyscraper Enthusiast

That view! I cant wait until Stantec reach final height. Tower B should shoot up directly on the left of Hendrix, Encore between Bell and that Red tower(Atco), and Augustana slightly obscuring the recladded Scotia tower, that view is becoming crammed. With Aldritt tower on the way, we are seriously looking very world class from that angle. Looking into the short distant future, BMO site along with Healy Ford (please) towers, the two slots across from lamb's cancelled tower, we are laughing. If somehow 102st. Centre is built, that is icing on the cake. Wow, pinch me!

That view! I cant wait until Stantec reach final height. Tower B should shoot up directly on the left of Hendrix, Encore between Bell and that Red tower(Atco), and Augustana slightly obscuring the recladded Scotia tower, that view is becoming crammed. With Aldritt tower on the way, we are seriously looking very world class from that angle. Looking into the short distant future, BMO site along with Healy Ford (please) towers, the two slots across from lamb's cancelled tower, we are laughing. If somehow 102st. Centre is built, that is icing on the cake. Wow, pinch me!
    Glad you enjoy this view. Definitely one impressive looking skyline from this angle. Don't forget Symphony to your right and when completed, that gorgeous glass is really going to stand out.

Thankful to the UofA EAS department for granting permission to post this unique view of our city.I'll periodically post updated photos of this view to give everyone here a different perspective of the continous progress of ICE district and of the rest of downtown.

You are able to go to the U of A Earth and Sciences website and view this and many more photos as well as time lapse video of our downtown by date and time. The time lapse video is usually a month behind and very cool to watch. Great for people like us who love our skyline and can't get enough of looking at it. Lol
    Last edited by cpnfantstk; 09-03-2018 at 10:22 PM.
    Skyscraper Enthusiast

Thanks! Once that image is in my head; it stays there and i can extrapolate future developments into that frame innternally like an isometric view. Your contribution is much appreciated, and keep it up for other forumers to enjoy!

A city learning how to believe in itself.

Re-learning...

Re-learning...
    That's right. Edmonton of the 70s and 80s was the City to be in. It was young, in charge, and the centre of consciousness. The hottest clubs, including the best gay club in western Canada, the theatre scene, building skyscrapers like crazy. Population boom. Grand schemes all over the place from WEM to CCM. Then the 90s happened and it was urbancaust. The death of the city and suddenly it was 'cool' to 'hate' Edmonton. We're clawing our way back to the top. But its like going up a 90 degree cliff. Love the towers and the new energy in town.

url=https://flic.kr/p/241RDgw][/url]Sunday March 11, 2018 by Thomas Huizinga, on Flickr
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

It's amazing how much of an impact a few tall towers can have on the psyche of a city. They're so much more than just towers.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    It's amazing how much of an impact a few tall towers can have on the psyche of a city. They're so much more than just towers.
    So true

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    Bingo.
    www.decl.org

The constant noise of highrise construction definitely adds to the feeling. It alludes to growth.

It will be a very different feel once all the cranes have left downtown.

Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 35414243444546 LastLast