Thread: Haswell-E is here!

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Default Haswell-E is here!

I'm using an older circa 2010 Intel socket 1366 X58 Gulftown 980 6 core processor for 3 years now and have been patiently waiting to perhaps do an upgrade. Nothing has really turned my head until today, although the chip I'm using still holds it's own, but is becoming a bit dated. Here's a review of the new line of Enthusiast processors:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8426/t...7-5820k-tested

Features include:

The top chip is a Intel 8 core (5960X)
    PCIE 3
    DDR4 ram
    X99 chipset - 10 Sata ports
    5820K - 3.3 Ghz 6 core/15 MB L3 cache currently priced at $449.99 at Memory Express. Not bad for a Intel 6 core, although only has 28 lanes but shouldn't affect SLI gaming @ 1080p according to a review I read. That's good news and is the chip I'm most interested in.

Would love to run off to Memory Express but there's still Broadwell & Skylake to be released in 2015... probably best just to wait and see what they offer. However, if not this year next year there will be an upgrade for me.

Anyone else a pc techie nerd and maybe interested in the new line?

I was considering an upgrade to my little gaming rig, but at this point I'd be spending a lot of change to not get a lot of results.

(I've got a mini-ITX rig with an OC'ed 7970 in it & a i5-2550K pushing 4.8Ghz. SSD, 16GB of OC'ed DDR3)
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Yeah, if one decides to go with Haswell-E a new motherboard and DDR4 ram would be needed. Either way, if a guy went with the $450.00 5820K after all is said and done and with a decent motherboard you would be looking at close to $1000.00 to upgrade. DDR4 ram isn't exactly cheap at the moment either.

Your Sandybridge 2550K is still a good chip, especially considering you can overclock the snot out of that series (and Ivybridge), as you have done. I gave mine a mild OC, from stock 3.33 to 3.72 - it's a 980, not a 980X, so I'm quite limited to what I can do with it. Nice system you got.