Thread: Edmonton left out of Pembina study of Rapid Transit

Default Edmonton left out of Pembina study of Rapid Transit

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...says-1.2756613

Good article on the rapid transit builds in Canada which includes all major cities except for Edmonton. Someone should write to Pembina about this.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Just emailed Cherise Burda, Ontario Director. Hopefully she gives me some valid arguments for omitting Edmonton.

Given our LRT rails seem to be made out of platinum for the amount it costs us to build transit in this town, I'd wager they're doing us a favour of leaving us out of the survey. We certainly wouldn't be held in a positive light without some serious spin doctoring.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Partially Addicted to C2E

I noticed that as well and was very annoyed. The Valley line which was recently secured is Alberta’s largest-ever municipal infrastructure project but apparently not worth mentioning.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Given our LRT rails seem to be made out of platinum for the amount it costs us to build transit in this town, I'd wager they're doing us a favour of leaving us out of the survey. We certainly wouldn't be held in a positive light without some serious spin doctoring.
    LOL...someone else who noticed how out of proportion our LRT costs are to municipalities that have to deal with...I don't know...granite....expensive land....fault zones...extreme elevation changes...
    President and CEO - Airshow.

$244 million a kilometre for the Metro line! Where the hell did all that money go?

And don't talk to me of the "savings" because a good chunk of the figure they're targeting is money saved from not having to subsidize the fares that they can't collect because it's not running. The TTC builds subways for the cost we build surface rail & manages to collect 25% more of their operating costs through fares which are cheaper than the ETS.

ETS is a sad, sick, expensive joke of a transit system.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

ETS isn't the one building it. Thank goodness, they can barely plan and execute a route structure.

Not sure about the expenses, but I suspect much of the cost of the Metro line to date is the hidden concurrent modernisation of the Capital Line.

Edit - By the way, have to agree it's frankly ídiotic to omit the City that brought the LRT concept to life worldwide, especially with the amount of investment we're putting into it from 2006 to 2020.
    Last edited by JayBee; 05-09-2014 at 04:44 PM.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

C2E Continued Contributor

Well, maybe Pembina Institute didn't know Edmonton has an LRT.

They're not exactly that smart either.
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

I'd rather C2E than work!

TTC is run by Toronto transit commission and streetcars, buses and train is not subsidized at all.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Quote Originally Posted by jagators63 View Post
    TTC is run by Toronto transit commission and streetcars, buses and train is not subsidized at all.
    Not true, fare recovery only provides part of the operational funding, the rest comes from the city of Toronto and from the province of Ontario
    http://publictransport.about.com/od/...c-Overview.htm

C2E SME

Well looking at the article and also putting my Edmonton pride aside, I may be annoyed that Edmonton wasn't even mentioned but on the other hand I think our LRT has to see more happen before we can consider our system a truly effective system. I'm so very happy about how far our LRT has come in a very short time but the fact of the matter, is that we could have had a significantly larger LRT system a long time ago. By now we should have at least been the same size as the C-Train system if not a whole lot larger, but because of the short sightedness of a number of councils the LRT system here in town stagnated while at the same time the Calgary system was improved a lot. Finally our LRT system is starting to grow to where it should be but I think we are still years away until we can truly say that we have a system that rivals Calgary or Vancouver or Toronto or Montreal. Am I disappointed that we weren't mentioned in the study and in the CBC article, yes, but my only hope is that maybe this omission will help push council to not only continue as it has been doing lately but to insist on building more lines quicker and more effectively.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

There are only five urban rail systems in the country, and they included four.

Can't really dress it up.

They did say the study was comparing Canada's 5 largest cities ...

Oh wait, Edmonton in the past few months more than likely just eclipsed Ottawa and IS the 5th largest.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

^That was the reasoning that I received back from Pembina:
    "Pembina doesn't have "core" funding for its operations, so we have to raise money for every project we undertake. In the case of this report, we only had enough funding to crunch the numbers for five cities. We therefore went with the five largest by population, and unfortunately Edmonton was #6 on that list."

C2E Continued Contributor

^ Fine.

But an inconclusive study nevertheless.
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

Don't worry Edmonton about beign left out - I read the Pembina Institute article as Toronto bashing. It's a right-wing think tank funded by big corporations. They trying to show how wasteful Toronto is with it's expensive subways. Including Edmonton would just wreck their numbers. It fails to mention that the Toronto Subway carries 1.5 million people every day and a light rails system could not hope to reach those numbers. Heavy rail subways have their place.
    ETS Trolley Buses - 1939 to 2010 - R.I.P.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

First I heard of Pembina being a right-wing think tank.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Surprised the Pembina staffer didn't mention this, but Edmonton is the only one of the big six cities that does not report its ridership numbers to the American Public Transportation Association. APTA is mentioned in the methodology as the source for ridership data in the Pembina study. Here is APTA's most recent report for Q1 of 2014 (see page 31 and 32 for the Canadian numbers): http://www.apta.com/resources/statis...rship-APTA.pdf

I've never understand why ETS doesn't report its ridership to APTA to be included in their quarterly reports and annual totals.

One look at how ETS routes their "LRT contingency buses" (or worse yet, try riding it) and you will wonder no more how the mind of ETS rumbles.

They are more about kilometres fumigated than passengers served.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    First I heard of Pembina being a right-wing think tank.
    They're pretty much the opposite, actually: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pembina_Institute

I don't know of too many "right-wing think tanks" that are against coal, fossil fuels, nuclear but in favor of hydro, other renewables, transit, and avoiding dangerous climate change.

^I thought it was well known that left wing think tanks were always in a conspiracy against Edmonton

^ LMAO, and here I thought Calgary thought of Edmonton as a giant (but not as gigantic as itself of course) left wing conspiracy ....
    ... gobsmacked