Thread: Dual purpose motorcycles

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default Dual purpose motorcycles

I'm kicking around the idea of picking up a dual purpose motorcycle. I haven't ridden since I sold my GSX-R when I left Vancouver many moons ago. Not so much interested in crotch rockets anymore and am looking for a long distance touring bike that can handle off pavement excursions.

My first thought is a BMW GS. It seems to be the grand daddy of dual purpose bikes. I've ridden a Kawasaki KLR before and I liked it as well.. and you can pick one up for substantially less than a BMW. I understand KTM makes a good dual purpose bike but I haven't ridden or even looked into one of those.

Anyone have any experience with these types of bikes ? Has anyone here done any lengthy trips on a dual purpose bike ? I'm less concerned how they handle on gravel, more concerned about how the ride position feels on the highway
    Parkdale

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Love my Multistrada, but it's 95% street/touring, not much adventure. I'm also stuck in Astoria, waiting for a proper socket to arrive so I can get a new rear tire on the bike, because apparently Argyll didn't bother to check my tire when I specifically told them I was going on a long trip with it immediately after the service. Tire was showing steel bands 500km later.

It's a phenomenal bike, but probably not what you're looking for.

240GT, I've owned a BMW GS. It was an 1100cc. Awesome and you can pick up this generation relatively cheap. I owned mine for 6 years and rode 90/10 hiway and for 110,000kms. Oil changes and tires. Thats it. Virtually maintenance free shaft drive. The same bike is now liquid cooled, gadgets galore, hence the big money. I liked the beef of the Beemer over the KLR650, felt more secure and stable on the hiway. If is a bike you plan on keeping for a bit, look for an 2005-2009ish, newer engine design and lighter. You may want to consider the smaller/lighter F800GS, good bike too with chain drive. Also consider the Yamaha Super Tenere, never owned one but seems decent.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.