Thread: The upsides and downsides of raising a toddler downtown

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default The upsides and downsides of raising a toddler downtown

The upsides and downsides of raising a toddler downtown
    BY ALEXANDRA ZABJEK, EDMONTON JOURNAL SEPTEMBER 7, 2014 9:04 AM

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/life/...147/story.html
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Because even though we would love to stay, the idea of a house with a bit more space is tempting. Or even a building with better stroller parking or communal outdoor space for growing children. I know Im not the only one who thinks this or wants this. I often wonder how we might get this message through to the powers- and builders-that-be.
    fitting end to the article

Indeed... A challenge before us.
    www.decl.org

Because even though we would love to stay, the idea of a house with a bit more space is tempting. Or even a building with better stroller parking or communal outdoor space for growing children. I know I’m not the only one who thinks this or wants this. I often wonder how we might get this message through to the powers- and builders-that-be.
    "Message through to the powers that be". I have a real problem with anyone seriously uttering this phrase. The over-riding message we make is always, and cannot be otherwise than, through our wallets.

By finally deciding to move, the writer has exposed that all her feeble protestations about the things she loves downtown are SO MUCH NOISE.

She would have been more honest simply praising suburbia.
    Last edited by AShetsen; 08-09-2014 at 08:27 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I have a severely autistic child that wouldn't last 10 minutes downtown so I can well understand.

Where does it say in the article that she's moving? What I'm reading is that she's wavering between staying and going.
    You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea. - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

When we move, I’ll miss these easy encounters with dozens of people outside my door.
    When. Not if.

I very much get the impression Ms. Zabjek really knows what a neighborhood should be all about. It sounds to me that she makes the most out of where she lives, for herself and her son. Her attitude will take her a long way no matter where she lived.
    Now, I should imagine if she were to move it would be just before her son goes to kindergarten.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Addicted to C2E

She doesn't have to move far- could easily find something NEAR downtown, say, Queen Mary Park, Parkdale or Inglewood. Personally, I'd like to see more 3 Br (or 2Br and den) condos where a couple could live with 1-2 kids.

As a matter of fact, my neighbourhood of Queen Mary Park is crawling with kids (at least 5 daycares) !

^Good point. All of the "adventures" she describes are easily replicated in the neighbourhoods you list.

Inglewood is an incredibly affordable central option with schools, shopping and a quick bike or even walk to downtown.
    www.decl.org

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Cal76 View Post
    She doesn't have to move far- could easily find something NEAR downtown, say, Queen Mary Park, Parkdale or Inglewood. Personally, I'd like to see more 3 Br (or 2Br and den) condos where a couple could live with 1-2 kids.

As a matter of fact, my neighbourhood of Queen Mary Park is crawling with kids (at least 5 daycares) !
    Those are great alternatives. i see houses in Parkdale for sale advertized as "condo alternatives" all the time

Lots of kids moving into the area.. Some 30% increase in two years. Walk to shopping, recreation and downtown from the area