Thread: Edmonton Pride Festival relocating to Old Strathcona in 2015

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Edmonton Pride Festival relocating to Old Strathcona in 2015

http://metronews.ca/news/edmonton/11...hcona-in-2015/

This makes infinite more sense than moving it to Hawrelak Park.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Sad to see it leave downtown, hopefully that is temporary. But Whyte Ave could be interesting.
    www.decl.org

Yeah, Hawerlak would have been a disaster. This is better.
    Go down a few dark alleys.

C2E Continued Contributor

Better than Hawrelak at least.
    $2.00 $2.25 $2.50 $2.75 $2.85 $3.00 $3.20 $3.25

I'd rather C2E than work!

Fabulous news! Can't wait to take my son there to watch the parade.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Rainbow-coloured crosswalks coming to Edmonton’s Old Strathcona
    http://metronews.ca/news/edmonton/13...ld-strathcona/

The crosswalks at 108 Street and Whyte Avenue as well as 106 Street and Whyte Avenue will be painted colourfully temporarily. The crosswalk at 84 Ave and 104 St. will also wear new colours as part of the pilot project.
    The painted crossings will remain for the duration of the Edmonton Pride Festival, which starts Friday and runs until June 21.
    https://twitter.com/PlanEdmonton/sta...91087932018688

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Justin Trudeau is gonna be in the parade on Saturday

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Big whoop, JT will be there.

^ None of your Wildrose nor Harper Conservative friends ever take part, so why should you care? In any case it probably is a big whoop because this is the first time I can recall seeing a federal party leader take part, plus his popularity should attract more people and might garner greater national attention.

Great to see high level politicians participate.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

iIs Justin Trudeau, who I don't consider high level

He's the leader of a national party, how much higher do you want?
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Either way, I bet OSBA is chuffed JT is in attendance. With the way they are rolling out the red carpet for this event Downtown is going to have a tough time getting it back. Looks like Pride Parade is replacing Silly Summer.

^yup, I wonder about that as well... how great would it be to do a few years there and then once the major construction downtown is complete swap back and forth each year.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    ^ None of your Wildrose nor Harper Conservative friends ever take part, so why should you care? In any case it probably is a big whoop because this is the first time I can recall seeing a federal party leader take part, plus his popularity should attract more people and might garner greater national attention.
    Why on Earth make hostile posts like this? Especially in a thread promoting differences, joining hands, and inclusion.

A little bit more friendly interaction would be fine.

Not everybody is a Justin Trudeau fan. I'm fine with him being there. But I could take his presence or leave it. Maybe he could make a lil speech about how China is the ideal country in the world. That would stand up in context wouldn't it?
    Last edited by Replacement; 02-06-2015 at 03:58 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    ^yup, I wonder about that as well... how great would it be to do a few years there and then once the major construction downtown is complete swap back and forth each year.
    I wish I wish the high level had massive sidewalk and a full time tram between Downtown and Whyte. Festivals that bridge the river...how grand.

Pity I had to miss out, but looks like a great turnout

Edmonton Pride Parade a 'must-attend' event
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...103411?cmp=rss

It was excellent. Wonderful day for a parade, and it was awesome to see so many people around Whyte and in Old Strathcona.

According to the SUN the turnout was nearly 50,000.
    http://www.edmontonsun.com/2015/06/0...s-record-crowd

I see the C of E is still featuring the C of E balloon. Some poor suckers dragging in around the parade. Might as well be pulling/pushing a carcass of a dead whale as it's just as nasty. Can that balloon not get misplaced some where, like at the bottom of the Saskatchewan or accidently taken to the land fill. I'm sure nobody will miss it.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Yeah, there were lots of comments on it from people standing around me. Most were "What IS that thing?" or "Wow, is that thing ever ugly!"

Top_Dawg is looking forward to seeing it rear its ugly head again at the K-Days parade.

Always good for a laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Top_Dawg is looking forward to seeing it rear its ugly head again at the K-Days parade.

Always good for a laugh.
    I'm tempted to go with darts..
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Moving the convo here instead of the restaurant thread.

While it looks like the posts to Top_Dawn are in jest, shaming people that don't participate in Pride is exactly the opposite of what the entire movement is about. Freedom of choice and all that.

Maybe he would have fun. Maybe he wouldn't. That's nobody's business, just like who bangs who and what orientation they are is nobody's business.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

^excuse me? You're taking the couple of people inviting Top_Dawg to pride as being inappropriate rather than his initial insulting and rude post? Wow.

Anyway, pride this weekend... All are welcome, including Top_Dawg, as long as the mutt keeps his nasty comments to himself.

Looking forward to hitting whyte Sat aft/evening to take ^in the sights and sounds.
    www.decl.org

Top_Dawg imagines it'll be flamboyant - that's for sure.

But is the information correct ?

Says the parade goes from 108 street to 106 street.

That's awful short for a parade.

Having been out on Whyte last night and at the parade today I can't imagine it being anywhere else. From the painted crosswalks to the rainbow patios to all the people out and about, it's a real festival atmosphere. I don't think any other part of the city could bring it all together like that.

It's truly an event the city can be proud of.

Did I miss the City of Edmonton float this year? I didn't see any of the city Councillors in the parade, and there were a bunch last year.

Scott McKeen was in the parade. Mayor Iveson and some other councillors are in Winnipeg for the Federation of Canadian Municipalities conference.

I missed it myself, but from viewing the social media it seemed a bit underwhelming compared to last year.

There weren't any really cool floats, but there also weren't some of the garbage ones from last year (like the car dealerships that just had someone driving a car with the dealership name on it). The kids enjoyed it (except the really loud music), so it was a success on that front.

So many folks Downtown Friday night and great to hear how much support on whyte. Bravo!
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Scott McKeen was in the parade. Mayor Iveson and some other councillors are in Winnipeg for the Federation of Canadian Municipalities conference.

I missed it myself, but from viewing the social media it seemed a bit underwhelming compared to last year.
    Top_Dawg got polluted on Whyte Friday night and passed out at his Mill Creek safe house.

Saturday A.M. he staggered over to O2's for hair of the dog.

Whyte Avenue was packed with revellers.

Top_Dawg watched some of the parade from O2's windows and after three beer he went down on the Avenue.

In Top_Dawg's estimation there were even more people than last year and most seemed to be really enjoying themselves.

Especially the twinks in their speedos who were out en masse, teasing and tormenting the frustrated bears.

After more beers at Rosies, Top_Dawg noticed that many, many people stayed on Whyte and continued partying at a lot of the bars that hosted special events centered around the rainbow theme.
    Last edited by Top_Dawg; 06-06-2016 at 10:48 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg
    after three beer he went down on the Avenue
    Literally or figuratively?

Hands down more people stick around after and the while street is alive. We staked out Meat"s patio and stayed there all afternoon
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

It's a shame downtown wasn't built around Whyte Ave instead of Jasper Ave, without a doubt a better location for the parade, re how it turned out.

C2E SME

^If downtown had been built around Whyte Ave instead of Jasper Ave it would be Jasper ave area that would have had old quaint period buildings and all the highrises would have been built on the south side of the river. Also we would be living in Strathcona not Edmonton.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Let's not forget a few things here:
    The Pride Parade was in downtown for many years, and during then the downtown streets, shops and eateries on and around 104 St, Jasper Ave, City Centre Mall and Churchill Square were also crazy-busy. It's mainly because of the upcoming LRT construction that it had to move out of downtown.

Whether the parade is in downtown or Old Strathcona really makes no difference, so let's quit pitting one against the other.

^I went to both, its definitely got a better vibe in Whyte, IMO. Not to say I would want other parades to migrate there.

I figure the best thing is the argument is about where to hold and not about whether it should be held at all.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Well Top_Dawg is out of here.

Have a great weekend everybody !

See all you cornholios tomorrow at Pride !

Have a great weekend. We have company this weekend, so we can't go. I don't think our 92 year old baba wants to go, or the newest member of the family, who is 7 weeks! I'm hoping for a big turnout, and I hope the rain holds off.

Keep that "loose o-ring" protected!
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Raining all weekend. Might put a damper on festivities. Or maybe there will be some rainbows.