Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Century Park | Residential Development (multi-building) | Under Constuction

Quote Originally Posted by LindseyT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    It still boggles my mind why anyone would want to live in a suburban high rise, when they could live in a vibrant downtown one (although there are some "old at heart" people out there). I guess this could have some attraction to those who comute to South side jobs though.

The people who are buying are not primarly motivated by vibrancy.
    I think they just have a different notion of vibrancy than others...
    City Centre Airport is to the sky as False Creek is to the ocean.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by lux View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LindseyT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    It still boggles my mind why anyone would want to live in a suburban high rise, when they could live in a vibrant downtown one (although there are some "old at heart" people out there). I guess this could have some attraction to those who comute to South side jobs though.

The people who are buying are not primarly motivated by vibrancy.
    I think they just have a different notion of vibrancy than others...
    Very true, everybody has different wants / desires.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    and with a connection to the LRT, they are a quick ride away from Vibrancy, and still have the luxury of suburban Edmonton. Win-Win
    Or at least that's how it'll be marketed. Yes, you truly can have it all. :P

Does anybody else notice how most neighbourhoods aren't promoted for what's directly in the neighbourhood, but for how accessible they are to "everything"? It's like the main selling feature of most of these neighbourhoods is that "it's easy to leave and go elsewhere, because there won't be much to keep you here"...

C2E Long Term Contributor

^unfortunate and true. We need to get back to neighbourhood convenience areas...and places to actually visit within walking distance.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

^ I have super high hopes for Strathearn in this respect.

^yah...it should be able to achieve a lot of that kind of thing. I really would consider moving there for one of the townhouses.
    www.decl.org

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    ^unfortunate and true. We need to get back to neighbourhood convenience areas...and places to actually visit within walking distance.
    ^...we've been searching and searching for a house or property to renovate or build new (in mature neigbourhoods) and came to the same conclusion...
    In favour of Architecture that is of our time and place.

There is no reason to believe that people will be happy with their local convenience centre. People go out of their way now to shop at a particular store, or for a particular brand. In short, just because you can walk to a local shop doesn't mean you will shop there.

Particularly in the context of a small neighbourhood store, it is unlikely to have the selection that people require.
    City Centre Airport is to the sky as False Creek is to the ocean.

^for everything everyday i agree. However, for little things here or there and just to go out for a walk to somewhere those little places can work very well.

When i lived out by UBC in vancouver there was a little grocery, convenience, flower shop, beer store, and a couple of little restaurants about a 10min walk from my condo. Other than that i had to drive to get anything. It was so nice on an evening walk or weekend stroll to include that kind of thing in my route.
    www.decl.org

i could also say...

there is no reason to believe that people should only be happy if they can go to a SEC for things...
    www.decl.org

Third crane going up

Addicted to C2E

anybody know the status of the chain link-fenced lot east of CP on 109 st? It's been empty and fenced off for the last 10 years, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    Third crane going up
    from what i know it will assist in the construction of phase 2 and also be able to do phase 3, "central" because of its placement and because phase 2/3 share the same UG parkade.
    www.decl.org

Addicted to C2E

Construction pictures at Century Park.

All photos taken today, Saturday June 21 of 2008, by me. Some rights reserved:

Three cranes at Century Park:

The south building of phase 1 nearly topped out, and building two steadily rising:

A couple more on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/1177407...7603871838702/
    Last edited by Leendert; 24-06-2008 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Add link to set. Correct phase1/phase2 misunderstanding.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Phase 1 nearly topped out (7 floors, correct?) and phase 2 steadily rising:
    Once again, Phase 1 consists of both of those buildings. The South building is topped out at 7 floors, and the North building is progressing. The second phase is two more buildings at 8 floors each and a bit larger floor plate. Those won't be coming out of the ground until Fall most likely.

Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by raz0469 View Post
    Phase 1 nearly topped out (7 floors, correct?) and phase 2 steadily rising:
    Once again, Phase 1 consists of both of those buildings. The South building is topped out at 7 floors, and the North building is progressing. The second phase is two more buildings at 8 floors each and a bit larger floor plate. Those won't be coming out of the ground until Fall most likely.
    Indeed, I was wrong. I was initially under the impression that the first pre-sale they had for phase 1 was a single building, and the second sale was for phase 2, a second building of the same design.

On http://www.centurypark.ca (Century Park Gallery button at the bottom), there are also some older construction photos from Feb. and March 2008, taken from what appears to be a vantage point on one of the cranes.

C2E Posting Power

impressive looking towers and even more impressive 'Public Art' contribution of $3M. Not to mention a solid design team in James KM Cheng Architects and Phillips Farevaag Smallenberg Landscape Architects...(all from lotus land - hint hint)

The residential developments DT could take many cues from this project, right Railtown?...

Very true. However, if Railtown was built today, I'm sure it would be much, much different.

(all from lotus land - hint hint)
    Actually, having most of the major consultants from Vancouver has been a huge coordination problem on the project. It's not been a positive in any way, to be frank. ATB has done a phenomenal job trying to make such a difficult situation work.

^agreed.

i know who took those pics
    www.decl.org

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by raz0469 View Post
    (all from lotus land - hint hint)
    Actually, having most of the major consultants from Vancouver has been a huge coordination problem on the project. It's not been a positive in any way, to be frank. ATB has done a phenomenal job trying to make such a difficult situation work.
    I was alluding to the level quality of design not coordination...

A few more photos from Sunday.

Wow, that's coming along nicely!

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I got a flyer from Century Park on Monday. Was an advertisement for some of the condo's still for sale. The cheapest condo was about $380,000 and all the others ranged between $500,000 to $1.6 million.

Who is able to afford these prices for condo's? I am struggling to afford a $250,000-$300,000 condo!

Quote Originally Posted by mi6_ View Post
    I got a flyer from Century Park on Monday. Was an advertisement for some of the condo's still for sale. The cheapest condo was about $380,000 and all the others ranged between $500,000 to $1.6 million.
    That is where I struggle with the whole concept - but it is just IMO, the market will prove me right or wrong. Personally, if I was going to pay a lot of money for a condo, as in, Vancouver price money, I would want that condo to offer what for me are the prime benefits of condo living, being in a walkable and vibrant arts / bar / restaurant location (i.e. downtown / strathcona / oliver). I just don't see that happening out in this suburb (in fairness, it could happen for projects at Glenora, or Strathearn, or the north edge).

If I want to live in a suburb, I can get a fantastic low maintenance row house for this type of money (Terwilliger jumps to mind), or buy a real house and pay someone to do the maintenance. Both of those options are IMO probably going to appreciate in value more than yet another suburban high rise.
    Last edited by moahunter; 03-07-2008 at 10:07 AM. Reason: spelling

C2E Continued Contributor

^ You should have a look at the Century Park website. When built out, it will offer as many amenities as any 'urban village' anywhere, all within walking distance. As well, it will have the LRT connection. It's not quite the same as downtown, but it will be as comprehensive as any self-contained, sustainable development anywhere.

I'm not associated with Century Park in any way, but I've thoroughly researched it for my Edmontonians columns, and I think those with patience will be amply rewarded for purchasing there, with respect to both amenities and property values.
    Almost always open to debate...

^bingo. While i wouldnt buy there because i much prefer downtown, i know many who would far prefer to be there.
    www.decl.org

^bingo. While i wouldnt buy there because i much prefer downtown, i know many who would far prefer to be there.
    To me that's the point. Why take a "chance" that an urban village with character will develop (and there aren't that many examples of them popping up from scratch in new suburbs around Edmotnon), when you can buy, for the same price, in one that is already up and running? Still, I accept if it does come about, the early investors in Century Park will be smiling all the way to the bank, for taking the lead.
    Last edited by moahunter; 03-07-2008 at 10:56 AM.

^to many people century park is the most "urban" they want to be apart of...which is fine i suppose...and i have no doubt that at the end of the day, century park will be one of canada's premier suburban developments.
    www.decl.org

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

I don't mind Century Park being out where it is... not everyone wants to live downtown. However, we do need to continue to encourage similar quality developments downtown. It's a balance!!!

^bingo.

Strathearn will cater to a buyer, VFTC will, CP will, Fort Road TOD will, and downtown will.

IMO it is a very good thing to have pockets of highrise communities spread around the city.
    www.decl.org

^ Dead on. All of these are quality, incredibly well-thought-through developments. They've survived endless hours of design, consultation, scrutiny, debate, redesign, compromise, and eventual political thumbs-up, all the while involving some of the best urban planners, architects and developers in North America. All of them are top-notch developments. I can't imagine a developer like Procura and its partners, including James M. Cheng, one of the most respected architects anywhere, risking $1 billion (that's its cost) for the fully-developed Century Park unless they knew they were getting quality and longevity.

^not to mention westbank.

A friend of mine who works at CP said the office tower will be next to go.
    www.decl.org

^ Thanks for mentioning Westbank, which was really the founding inspiration for CP.

C2E Posting Power

Ian, would they be building an office tower on spec, or do they have a potential tenant??

There is very strong demand for suburban office space...now if that translates from office park to tower, well that remains to be seen. However, with the LRT line it could be very, very appealing.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

BLAH... downtown should be appealing, not the suburbs. I know Century Park is a special case with the LRT being right there. But I want office towers downtown damnit.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    BLAH... downtown should be appealing, not the suburbs. I know Century Park is a special case with the LRT being right there. But I want office towers downtown damnit.
    Too bad so sad, is about all I can say. You cannot force these Downtown, you have to accept that the market is more varied and broad than that.
    This will be an excellent example at how a live/work suburban complex can work. I think most here should be happy that this style is being attempted in Edmonton vs. the traditional segregated, car oriented office parks.

Quote Originally Posted by ridgeman View Post
    Ian, would they be building an office tower on spec, or do they have a potential tenant??
    i suspect they will have good demand for the space...i believe 24 floors but slim...i would guess 14,000-16000sqft floor plates.

As much as i would want more towers downtown, it is good to have pockets of density with mixed uses around the city as well. You have to admit it will be pretty amazing to sit at RATT and admire VFTC, strathearn, CP, fort road, east jasper, etc....once all complete.
    www.decl.org

From the website: "Century Park is the most comprehensive and sophisticated residential development in Alberta's history. The masterplanned community will also offer a significant public art component. The $1 Billion CAD development is a total environment, offering 3,000 state-of-the-art low-, medium- and high-rise residences to house 5,000 residents, attracting a vibrant mix of businesses, retailers and professionals to the area."

I haven't heard anything in regards to the office tower. Phase II is obviously going ahead, as well as Phase III before the end of the year. The office tower is a awhile off yet, in terms of completion.

^completion yes, but following phase 3 will be the office tower from what i heard.
    www.decl.org

^ Is phase 3 the first condo high-rise?

Yes, it basically sits between (a bit to the West, but between) the two buildings that make up Phase II.

That's what I thought. Thanks.

^it also shares UG stuff so i have been told.
    www.decl.org

Basically the parkade for phase III sits directly inbetween the ones for the North and South buildings of Phase II, although you don't see that above grade.

I know I drove by the site fairly recently and couldn't believe how large that parkade is - 'vast' hardly describes it.

some new pics

^nice update...i believe 1st occupancy is to be spring 09'.
    www.decl.org

Yeah, that's reasonable. They had been saying September-December 08 since the project began, but every trade just rolled their eyes and laughed.

So they had the public meeting the other night for revising the Century Park DC2. They have backed away from the 30-floor idea and are proposing that every building increase in height by 3 meters to accommodate the garbage enclosure. I guess there were some residents that are against this. No new units or floors are proposed, just a technical change to their overall heights to accommodate the garbage enclosure area. Unreal.

Oh no. 3 meters...

It will block my view of, uh...
    LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

interesting...cause i know they really wanted the height, but perhaps the current market made them back off?

i am looking forward to the office tower
    www.decl.org

interesting...cause i know they really wanted the height, but perhaps the current market made them back off?

i am looking forward to the office tower
    Nope, away from the additional height idea.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Part of me wishes this development was downtown...

never answered e-mail

Quote Originally Posted by Speedyturtle View Post
    Part of me wishes this development was downtown...
    ther will be something similar - Aurora

i wish the quality of project was downtown but not this actual project
    www.decl.org

i wish the quality of project was downtown but not this actual project
    Same, I would like to see the multiple buildings in CP be built on some key properties in central / downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    Same, I would like to see the multiple buildings in CP be built on some key properties in central / downtown.
    I would love to see something like this fill the "gap / hole" of parking lots between 104 street and railtown. It would be perfect, beyond prime - walking distance to everything. I can't for the life of me understand why this land is being ignored when it should be so desirable to live on.
    Last edited by moahunter; 20-09-2008 at 04:39 PM.

Probably too many owners of separate lots and good return on parking revenue. The city just needs to raise the taxes on surface parking lots everywhere to increase the desiribility to redevelop.
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

Addicted to C2E

Picture taken by me yesterday, Sept. 20/2008. Some rights reserved:

Century Park phase 1 buildings from the north-west:

Lookin' good!
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

First One is Always Free

Updates as of September27/08

C2E Posting Power

^...just looking at the photos of this project to date, informs us about the top level of design skills and the architect's aptitude for form and massing...something i wish we could see more of DT.

/\ Yea, must be rocket science eh. All it takes is a keen eye and appreciate for good design.

Default Cranes at Century Park

It's been a long time since we've seen three cranes in a row like that. Actually I don't know if I've ever seen three in a row like that. I hope that their momentum continues to the towers. I sure wish the original plan was approved so that we would have 30 plus storey towers.

Someone once said that they landed at the International Airport and wondered where the City of Edmonton was because they couldn't see it. With those towers up, (especially at the original hight) people at the airport will have a greater sense of arrival as they will actually be able to see Edmonton, or so I hope.

Actually I don't know if I've ever seen three in a row like that. I hope that their momentum continues to the towers. I sure wish the original plan was approved so that we would have 30 plus storey towers.
    There were four or five cranes on the block when HRIF and the Maz were under construction.

^ and wont there be up to 8 cranes for Edmonton Clinic?

I love the site of those big birds all over the city.
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    ^ and wont there be up to 8 cranes for Edmonton Clinic?
    At least four.

Interesting bit of trivia: when the Biological Sciences Building was being constructed at the U of A in 1967-68, there were seven cranes on site at the same time. It was something to see.

Edm Clinic, 7-8 total if i recall.

BioSci - yah i can see that... it is... er um a unique thing.
    www.decl.org

Addicted to C2E

Crane # 1 coming down today.

Addicted to C2E

Construction progress photos from Century Park.
    Phase 1 is still in Christo and Jeanne-Claude style. Phase 2 is motoring along and rising nicely. Concrete trucks were lining up for a pour on the north building of phase 2.

All photos taken by me on Saturday February 7 of 2009. Some rights reserved:

Click photos to enlarge.

Site overview:

Working on the top floor for the south building of phase 2:

Phase 1 still under wraps:

Although a 'glassy' entrance is peaking out:

Pouring concrete for the third floor of the North building of phase 2:

A few more photos (9 in total) available on Flickr in my Edmonton Construction photo stream:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/1177407...7603871838702/
    Last edited by Leendert; 08-02-2009 at 12:30 AM.

drove by Century Park yesterday, low-rise 1 is unwrapped and very well done. The amount of glass is so hot and i really like the subtle but effective design elements.

Just wish 'central' had caught the boom because without a tower there it looks kinda strange.
    www.decl.org

Are the towers now on hold until the economy picks up again? I thought there was suppose to be 6 or 8 of them all over 25 stories.

^yup and yup. Central is still 'for sale' but i believe only a small % is sold and i dont see it selling much for a while.

But remember this is a 10-15 yr project.
    www.decl.org

I stepped into the sales center a couple weeks ago, Central looked about 40% sold.

There was talk of doing one of the office towers before the Central/Phase III went ahead. No idea what their plan is, but nothing much is being worked on for Phase III other than the foundation, which sits between the two halves of the parkade/foundation for Phase II.

I wonder if it would make sense to put in a hotel at that site? Next to LRT, downtown, UofA and shopping connections as well as coliseum and stadium, close to the airport.

^could work very well there IMO... as with an office tower.
    www.decl.org

how do you feel about the colours? The blue(glass) on brown didnt look right to me.

i quite like the colors to be honest.
    www.decl.org

Addicted to C2E

I'm waiting for the protests and demonstrations too start.......no fugly red or yellow stucco, no punched windows, no stupid contorting roof elements........Edmontonians are going to be ****** when they see this....it's faaaaaaar too good for Edmonton.

^ While I understand where your sarcasm and negativity come from, I don't find it very constructive, and sometimes it's downright rude and insulting.
    Strathcona City Separatist

^i find the complete overuse of red/yellow/stucco/punched windows/contorting roof elements/et al. not very constructive and sometimes downright rude and insulting (to this city).

to each their own
    www.decl.org

^ I never said anything about that.

ETA: To clarify, I agree with this sentiment, but disagree with pointless negativity. It's fine to complain about poorly designed projects, it's another thing entirely to extend that complaining even when discussing well-designed projects like Century Park.
    Last edited by RTA; 24-02-2009 at 11:05 AM.
    Strathcona City Separatist

Some pictures from this weekend.

Can you say, hot??

i cant wait until they're all done!

^^yes, hot. great photos.
    ----

I'll have to check it out for real. I think the brown looks pretty ugly on the bottom shot though - will that be covered up?

No, its tanned coloured brick...which looks badass..

Addicted to C2E

Looks great, I'll have to check this out next time I'm back in town!

Also, stick a few street-oriented townhomes on the bottom level and fill up downtown-east with these bad boys.

^totally agree, and many other locations those beautiful low rises can be built. strathearn had some that did look good in their nproposal for that area but yeah.
    ----

Addicted to C2E

I have to say, I'm not crazy about the brown brick either. I was expecting something a little more.... modern? I like the tanned/yellowish brick the City is using on the new LRT stations at CP and Southgate, but the brick on these new buildings looks like it's straight from the 1970s. It's a little bit blah. Ah well, I'm sure it will look fine once all the finishing is done and the landscaping is in.

^tanned/yellow/brown brick is often used on modern projects in van... it isnt what you use, it is how you use it.

i have no doubt the 'final' product will be hot hot heat.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    but the brick on these new buildings looks like it's straight from the 1970s.
    I had the same thought - the brown in the picture above reminded me of Crescent Place, hopefully it looks better in person, but I think something a bit more modern would have tied in better with the rest of the design. The "holes" where the balconys are, are a bit ugly to my eyes too (condo's would look much nicer without balcony's I think, I mean seriously, I never used ours when we had one, and more child friendly / cool looking without - the only loss is gas bbq).
    Last edited by moahunter; 16-03-2009 at 12:48 PM.

never used your balcony.... why? I use mine all the time..... but yes, i do agree that they often upset the balance of a building.
    www.decl.org

I just find it sad how we get such a cool project in the suburbs (which is fine I guess) yet downtown or the central area don't have anything even close to the 'hotness' of this. I do think the suburbs could use some good design, but downtown deserves it more. I just find it odd.
    ----

Brick is 70s??

Back to stucco, I guess.... :S
    LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast