Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: JW Marriott Hotel & Residences | 192.2 m, 630', 56 floors | under construction

C2E Long Term Contributor

The Winspear expansion will have an automated parking machine, they were fun to watch in Kyoto.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    ^Cheaper to build an automatic u/g parking garage, not a chance. Automated parking is expennnnsive.
    they might be expennnnsive ChrisD but you get to eliminate all of your ramps and drive aisles (in addition to floor slabs) as they just need cubic volume... you get either substantially more cars in that same volume of space or you need to excavate and/or construct that much less volume. you also get to eliminate much of your lighting and exiting and drainage and cleaning on top of drastically reducing your exhaust and make-up air requirements.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

How much redundancy is built into these? Curious to know about reliability. I wouldn't want my car trapped.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

^ Very reliable. They're decades tested in Japan. Not new things at all. Sapporo Japan also has only slightly milder winters than we do, although I don't right now know for a fact they use automated parking. As a completely irrelevant bonus they've been earthquake tested as well.

Above ground I suspect they'd be price competitive versus our standard underground parkades but it's not like I've seen an invoice or anything. They also tend to be quite "wallish" in Japan, so if implemented that way here I think I'd prefer to see them hidden in the alley if possible, not streetfront. (No reason they couldn't have windows though, actually are quite fun to watch.)
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Doesn't the Lexus dealer on the southside have one of these in their showroom? It was all lit up with different colours when I drove by after dark. Looked pretty cool.
    Last edited by Vincent; 16-10-2014 at 01:35 PM.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Yes, Lexus South Pointe does. The one Lexus dealership off the Deerfoot in Calgary also has the same setup.
    Don't feed the trolls!

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    The Winspear expansion will have an automated parking machine, they were fun to watch in Kyoto.
    I am headed there next year plus elsewhere in land of the rising sun. I will check it out in Kyoto. But I watched these operate in Europe a few months back flawlessly.
    Last edited by EdmTrekker; 16-10-2014 at 03:14 PM.

[wayofftopic]^ Don't miss Shibamata in Tokyo - the last remaining Samurai-era shopping street in the City!

Also go see the Hikarie building in Shibuya Tokyo - take in a show in their 11th floor opera house! (Of 34 floors...)[/wayofftopic]

^been there, done that Truly a massive building.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    [wayofftopic]^ Don't miss Shibamata in Tokyo - the last remaining Samurai-era shopping street in the City!

Also go see the Hikarie building in Shibuya Tokyo - take in a show in their 11th floor opera house! (Of 34 floors...)[/wayofftopic]

A more comprehensive view of the technology:

Don't feed the trolls!

Still waiting for the Tokyo Drift clip...
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

???

edit - oh.

By the way, Delta Hotel Edmonton is not going to feature this type of parking...

Looks like they're starting to dig down...

www.decl.org

And now more fun begins!

Anyone know where they are taking all this dirt? I'm just curious.

First One is Always Free

The progress they are making is actually impressive.
    Much different than the usual, work hard for one month, do nothing for a few weeks, and then work hard again for another month that we are used to in recent construction projects.

The most impressive is the corner of 104 Ave and 104 Street where you can actually see the shape of the completed arena starting to form.

Addicted to C2E

Shiznit, that is an impressive aerial.

Hah! Those automated parking would never work here, especially with all the abundant trucks that are overly obese in size.

Wouldn't need to work for everyone.

C2E SME

I have to say the I'm very impressed of how this building is raising out of the ground extremely fast. I noticed how on the west side the concourse level is starting to already take shape.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Er um, it is not quite 'raising' out of any ground for quite some time.
    www.decl.org

Does anybody know what the estimated height in meters for this project is? I'm guessing individual floor height would be something similar to the residential Pearl Tower?.. At 121m and 36 floors that's about 3.36m per floor. At at least 50 floors, those numbers would indicate an overall height of approx. 168m, and possibly higher.

I am hearing 185m
    www.decl.org

607 ft

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Someone should get to the Skyscraper forum and start drawing up some of these buildings.

http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?cityID=5

Not it!

^Where's WhyteKnight?

C2E Continued Contributor

^ For 50 Storeys

^Remember that the lower floors have higher ceilings for the lobby and conference rooms, etc. The tower also has a fairly high crown which adds more height.

Quote Originally Posted by MDH View Post
    Does anybody know what the estimated height in meters for this project is? I'm guessing individual floor height would be something similar to the residential Pearl Tower?.. At 121m and 36 floors that's about 3.36m per floor. At at least 50 floors, those numbers would indicate an overall height of approx. 168m, and possibly higher.
    Podium alone is about 100 feet then add 50 floors it will come in around 188 -195 meters . around 630 feet.
    live for happiness because without it everything seems ho hum

so it is roughly 8-10 stories higher than Manulife. The skyline is about to change overnight.

A couple of years anyway.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post
    It's now been changed to 54 stories and 192.85m

Source?
    www.decl.org

Uh. It's Emporis. It's the same link, just new info. Need to ask them what their source is.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Partially Addicted to C2E

So roughly 12-14ish floors above Manulife. I like that height as this tower, Manulife and Stantec will stagger evenly for the skyline optic.

630 Feet will compliment Stantec nicely .

I hope Stantec and Delta's colour chosen will juxtapose good with Manulife.

Picasso 2 green perhaps?

Like the Telus Toll Building penthouse level just east of Manulife

i wish all of it was up NOW NOW NOW !!!!
    Thank You For Finally Going Higher!

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    Picasso 2 green perhaps?
    SHADDAP!

I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by nick5150 View Post
    Like the Telus Toll Building penthouse level just east of Manulife
    There will be more where that came from over the next year, Telus has plans. Though I will note it was the city that asked for that color scheme/detail.

What kind of plans are we talking about here?

Sorry, was not meaning to be cryptic, I'd say more of the same (ie: I bet we see another crane at the Toll building)

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    ^Cheaper to build an automatic u/g parking garage, not a chance. Automated parking is expennnnsive.
    they might be expennnnsive ChrisD but you get to eliminate all of your ramps and drive aisles (in addition to floor slabs) as they just need cubic volume... you get either substantially more cars in that same volume of space or you need to excavate and/or construct that much less volume. you also get to eliminate much of your lighting and exiting and drainage and cleaning on top of drastically reducing your exhaust and make-up air requirements.
    Ken, if there was an advantage to using automated car parks versus constructing a standard parkade then we would see more of them in use. Thats not the case.

A city like Edmonton has available real estate, so it won't be common; Places such as Tokyo or Manhatten, where land is of the premium, the elevator is very pragmatic.

We only need 20 million more people to catch up to those guys.

Ken, if there was an advantage to using automated car parks versus constructing a standard parkade then we would see more of them in use. Thats not the case.
    Not necessarily, I know the Japanese companies at least hadn't really promoted them outside Japan until around 15 years ago, and not outside East Asia until maybe 5 years ago. In places where architecturally you only have a car length or two and and at least three car widths of land you can deal with, they can give you a parkade, which is a huge selling point for a building.

I'd suggest the land just North of the World Trade Centre might be an interesting consideration (with street-fronting retail, obviously.) It would allow the chamber to sell the land to the East (and raise their own lease rates) while preserving the building.

The Winspear expansion is considering a car elevator....
    www.decl.org

^ Yeah again, a very awkward piece of land to contemplate structured parking, but without a parkade, hard to develop an economically viable structure.

As long as the streetfront is all retail, I'll be fine with it.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

you're right ChrisD... we haven't seen any new parkades downtown incorporate automated car parks versus constructing a standard parkade.

on the other hand, that's a pretty small sample size over the past 30 years isn't it?

Not necessarily, I know the Japanese companies at least hadn't really promoted them outside Japan until around 15 years ago, and not outside East Asia until maybe 5 years ago. In places where architecturally you only have a car length or two and and at least three car widths of land you can deal with, they can give you a parkade, which is a huge selling point for a building.

I'd suggest the land just North of the World Trade Centre might be an interesting consideration (with street-fronting retail, obviously.) It would allow the chamber to sell the land to the East (and raise their own lease rates) while preserving the building.
    You're missing my point. If you're dealing with a small site that is unable to accommodate a standard parkade design then you have no other choice but to pay for an automated car park system. In the majority of cases an automated car park is simply not cost efficient to use when you can use a standard parkade.

you're right ChrisD... we haven't seen any new parkades downtown incorporate automated car parks versus constructing a standard parkade.

on the other hand, that's a pretty small sample size over the past 30 years isn't it?
    How many stand-alone parkades have been built in North America over the past 10 years? I'd say not that many. You know as well as I do that it's tough to make the numbers work.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Uh. It's Emporis. It's the same link, just new info. Need to ask them what their source is.
    There is a problem with this website because Emporis have only show Stantec tower just 60 storey tall and it should be 62.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

There is far more than just that problem with Emporis...
    Support the mob or mysteriously disappear...

Quote Originally Posted by jagators63 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    There is a problem with this website because Emporis have only show Stantec tower just 60 storey tall and it should be 62.
    Emporis has it at 62 Skyscraper has it at 60 http://www.emporis.com/building/stan...dmonton-canada http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?cityID=5 It really does not matter because I think Stantec will end up being 66-68 storeys because demand will be huge for condo's Delta will remain at 630 feet .
    Last edited by buildthemhigh; 29-11-2014 at 05:04 PM.

A more reliable source is the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitats. Emporis is usually pretty good, Skyscraperpage is all user-submitted info.

http://skyscrapercenter.com/city/edmonton

^^ very good website !!

#6 is incorrect - a year ago MacLab gave Coast the boot.

Excavation/shoring moving along.

Support the mob or mysteriously disappear...

This is going faster than I thought!
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Rumor has this project at 62 floors.

i thought it was around 55 or so? if it's 62, what made them go higher i wonder?

Curious as well...
    www.decl.org

Because they can?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I thought they were going to scale these down due to low oil prices

^^^ nothing to do with falling oil prices.

Sarcasm, meet jagators63. jagators63? Sarcasm.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    I thought they were going to scale these down due to low oil prices
    ^no i think we can pass on the "dummie down' approach!

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    vancouver has one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6A60s6dAMI

You're missing my point. If you're dealing with a small site that is unable to accommodate a standard parkade design then you have no other choice but to pay for an automated car park system. In the majority of cases an automated car park is simply not cost efficient to use when you can use a standard parkade.
    Fair enough, I just wanted to add that they do have potentially viable applications even here; and now that their puveyors are starting to market them here I wouldn't be surprised by an uptick in usage.

Not on a large site like this for sure though.
    Last edited by JayBee; 11-12-2014 at 12:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
    vancouver has one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6A60s6dAMI
    which was fraught with issues initially
    www.decl.org

Hotel podium facing 104 ave/103 street looks like blank walls

from http://ead.ca/ fly-through video [0:48]

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Old video. Not updated in some time. The hotel announcement and detailed renders were released more recently.

They should make those retail shops.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Old video. Not updated in some time. The hotel announcement and detailed renders were released more recently.
    none of the renders I could find showed the 104 avenue side, this was the only image I have seen of it - i guess regardless none of these projects have yet to go to EDC

Conceptual renderings and videos should not be misconstrued for actual.
    www.decl.org

Marriott Agrees To Acquire Delta Hotels And Resorts For C$168 Mln
    http://www.rttnews.com/2446774/marri...n.aspx?type=bn

Indeed... curious to see how that impacts downtown for now we will have 3 hotels essentially.
    www.decl.org

Maybe turns it into a JW Marriott

A strange turn of events there. $168 mil seems like a bargain. They could make that back in a couple of years at the arena hotel alone. lol

They may turn the old Courtyard on Jasper into residential. I've read of a few hotels of that age/service level in Toronto that converted to condo's during housing demand cycles. The Edmonton of right now is a vastly different market than if everything proposed was built.

B.C. Investment Management, isn't that B.C. govt.? CP used to own Delta at one time. Seems odd at a time when everyone is screaming at the Alberta government to diversify that the BC govt. will own Edmontons prized hotel at the arena that we will be spending money at, managed by Marriot.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 27-01-2015 at 09:36 AM.

B.C. Investment Management, isn't that B.C. govt.? CP used to own Delta at one time. Seems odd at a time when everyone is screaming at the Alberta government to diversify that the BC govt. will own Edmontons prized hotel at the arena that we will be spending money at, managed by Marriot.
    Most Deltas are owned by 3rd parties and Delta have management contracts. It is the management and reservations that Marriott bought. BCIM only owns 13 of the property's btw. The Owners of the Edmonton arena district hotel is not known to "us" but it's NOT Marriott. Read the Marriott newspage on their corp site for details.

You realize that AIMCO is the same thing as BCimc.

Of course I do, that's why I mentioned it. If it was Aimco owning it and other skyscrapers that's Alberta money but it seems odd to me that the BC govt would own it, that's all.

^You realize the AIMCO's, BCimc, etc have investments across the country and internationally. So I don't really get what you're saying here.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Of course I do, that's why I mentioned it. If it was Aimco owning it and other skyscrapers that's Alberta money but it seems odd to me that the BC govt would own it, that's all.
    for both of them it's called diversification... much like not owning too much real estate where you live and not investing all of your portfolio in shares of the company you work for, it's so when something goes wrong everything else doesn't go wrong with it.

Looks like they're shotcreting this section of wall as they dig down...

Am I right to assume that the black square, showing on the extreme right side (in the photo) of the lower wall will be a tunnel connection between the Delta and the Wintergarden?

Quote Originally Posted by buildings View Post
    Am I right to assume that the black square, showing on the extreme right side (in the photo) of the lower wall will be a tunnel connection between the Delta and the Wintergarden?
    Guessing that will eventually be parkade access to the pedway.

There is no 'tunnel' connection between the Delta and the Wintergarden. It's a pedway connection at the 3rd storey of the Delta.

There is also no access from the Wintergarden to the parkade. You'll have to leave the Wintergarden, and then head down to the parkade via multiple different paths, the easiest will be via the building replacing greyhound.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    There is no 'tunnel' connection between the Delta and the Wintergarden. It's a pedway connection at the 3rd storey of the Delta.

There is also no access from the Wintergarden to the parkade. You'll have to leave the Wintergarden, and then head down to the parkade via multiple different paths, the easiest will be via the building replacing greyhound.
    Hmm... do you have access to the blueprints, or is there a site that provides this kind of detail?

C2E SME

I would say it's a safe bet that there is no underground pedway. 104 Avenue is likely a massive utility corridor, and getting an underground pedway across it would probably be a logistical nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by lat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post

Hmm... do you have access to the blueprints, or is there a site that provides this kind of detail?
    This is based on all the EDC info I've seen.

^^And we're talking about very old utilities in that corridor, too, which are often a b*tch to locate.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast