Thread: Edmonton Petroleum Club is closing

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Edmonton Petroleum Club is closing

Edmonton Petroleum Club is shutting down at the end of the year, according to Global. It was only a brief blurb on tonight's news.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'd rather C2E than work!

Seen the story on Global too.

Many memories. I worked in the kitchen years ago and my friend got married there. I guess the 'old boys clubs' are no longer economical feasible. That's a nice piece of property though.
    Last edited by North Guy66; 07-10-2014 at 08:35 PM.

C2E SME

I wonder what may happen to that land. It's a pretty prime location.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

I've never been inside, but I've seen pictures - looks like a top-notch facility. Would be a shame to level it. Attaching a hotel would be a smart play.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E Hard Core Contributor

My dad got remarried there and we've had xmas parties there before. It's a nice place. Maybe due for an overhaul on the inside. Certainly not the same cachet as it used to have. Without being attached to a golf course or sports club, it's probably a relic of time gone by.

Was there for a meeting and lunch today, was of its time, today it is not sadly.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Interesting article from May 2013 discussing its future...

Private clubs: a thing of the past, or a part of the future?

Many private clubs have gone under in recent years as membership dwindles. Those that remain are having to reinvent themselves and regain lost ground

May 6, 2013
    by Jessica Wynne Lockhart

http://albertaventure.com/2013/05/ar...g-of-the-past/

Last edited by KC; 07-10-2014 at 10:26 PM.

Huh. Attended lots of ASHRAE events there. It was always a well run venue but definitely showing its age

We have our christmas party there this December. I guess that'll be one of the last events held there
    Parkdale

Are there plans to build a new one, in Calgary?
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

There's already one in Calgary
    Parkdale

C2E SME

I wonder if membership was suffering. The Petroleum Club needed a lot of upgrades.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Wonder if the Calgary one will be sticking around too? I had the pleasure of having a lunch there about 6 years ago It too is dated, but in a much better location in the heart of downtown. I'm guessing it draws a much better lunch and business crowd as opposed to Edmontons which is more of a event or meeting location.

I hope the Edmonton building can be re-purposed, I don't think we need all buildings to be 'modern'. Keeping some history around I'm sure would be appreciated eventually....

It is getting dated, but Top_Dawg never had a problem with Edmonton Petroleum Club.

'bout four years ago the bulls switched venues for the bi-annual meeting from the Petroleum Club to another similar facility.

Because it was supposed to be better.

Only the food, the service, and the facilities are actually worse.

And it's four times farther away.

Should have left well enough alone.
    Last edited by Top_Dawg; 08-10-2014 at 09:13 AM.

More on the Petroleum Club
    http://globalnews.ca/news/1604382/ed...shutting-down/

Maybe they can move into the old Edmonton Club building across from the Hotel Mac. But I have a feeling they'll move to the burbs.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    I've never been inside, but I've seen pictures - looks like a top-notch facility. Would be a shame to level it. Attaching a hotel would be a smart play.
    I've been quite a few times, to a number of events. Always felt "crusty and old" to me, but always sad to see a venue go. I expect the days are numbered on the one in Calgary as well, people want sports clubs now, not old boys clubs.

Dunno. Lots of the patch movers and shakers still like the exclusivity of the Petroleum Club in Calgary.

Ranchmans, I'm not so sure about though.

Anyway, the plan for Edmonton's apparetly is to present membership with one or more relocation proposals, so media headline rumours of its imminent demise may be premature.
    ... gobsmacked

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    Dunno. Lots of the patch movers and shakers still like the exclusivity of the Petroleum Club in Calgary.

Anyway, the plan for Edmonton's apparetly is to present membership with one or more relocation proposals, so media headline rumours of its imminent demise may be premature.
    Is the Edmonton Petroleum Golf and Country Club an entirely different organization despite the similar sounding name?

http://www.epgcc.ab.ca/

Thinking not affiliated.. But could be wrong

Petroleum Club GC is a fantastic course, however
    Parkdale

If I'm reading this article correctly, sounds like they want to be on the top floor of a downtown tower.
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...506/story.html

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post

That was the impression I got too. Not closing, but relocating and selling the current property to a developer. I could see I hotel going there. Its an amazing piece of property with a stellar location.

The old Edmonton Petroleum Club building in Kingsway is sold.

It was mentioned at the suppertime news but I didn't catch who bought it.

Cool old building.

Quaint in its own way, I suppose. No doubt it'll get the traditional Edmonton treatment.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

^^^Daytona homes.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    Quaint in its own way, I suppose. No doubt it'll get the traditional Edmonton treatment.
    Care to explain what that is? You should travel the world and see how it really is then come back home and thank Edmonton and Canada for what we have. In fact, you should be on your hands and knees if you ask me.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    Care to explain what that is? You should travel the world and see how it really is then come back home and thank Edmonton and Canada for what we have. In fact, you should be on your hands and knees if you ask me.
    Sure. You know the general 'if it's over 45 years old', now don't you?

BTW, I am extensively travelled and, if you yourself were, you'd realise great cities tend to hang on to their buildings rather longer than does Edmonton.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    ^^^Daytona homes.
    Thank you!

I googled Daytona Homes. It a a home builder company.

Does this mean they are going to tear down the existing Petroleum Club building and use the land for condos?

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    ^^^Daytona homes.
    Thank you!

I googled Daytona Homes. It a a home builder company.

Does this mean they are going to tear down the existing Petroleum Club building and use the land for condos?
    I saw mention elsewhere that they intend on putting up 3 towers. It was a very general comment.

Daytona Homes building skyscrapers? Do they even know how? I never saw anything more than single family homes built by them.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

C2E SME

They're a big company, with deep pockets, and they're well run. Much like Beaverbrook/InHouse, I don't see any reason why they couldn't make a go of multi-unit so long as they assemble the right team.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    Daytona Homes building skyscrapers? Do they even know how? I never saw anything more than single family homes built by them.
    reads just like what used to get posted about qualico... or katz... or one... or john day...
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

LOL

Very true, someone has to start somewhere. I sincerely hope whatever they build on that site will be attractive.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

If you want to do something but are not sure how you just hire people that do.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    We looked at their houses, that's where they should start. Horrible builder!

Petroleum Club is being demolished, no word on what Daytona will build here. Meanwhile, the club is looking at a downtown location.

More here:
    http://edmontonjournal.com/business/...one-demolished

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Petroleum Club is being demolished, no word on what Daytona will build here. Meanwhile, the club is looking at a downtown location.

More here:

50% price drop!

Edmonton Petroleum Club looking for new home as old one demolished | Edmonton Journal

“The group finally sold its roughly one-hectare property in March for $7 million, about half of what it would have received if the land had gone on the market in mid-2014 instead of six months later when oil prices crashed, Nelson said.”