Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Augustana Lutheran Church site (9901 107th St) | 30 stories | Under Construction

Metaphoric Med! This tower will be kiddy corner to the Leg- a pretty back yard if I may say so.

As well, why do you think it is a mistake to think of it as a back yard? Families around the world raise well behave and balanced children without one.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Do you know how many families, both residents and those who come visit, use it as their front yard, backyard, park, etc.

I personally know a few families who roll over there and let the kids play while mom or dad use their laptop, read or whathaveyou.

Great cities have great urban playgrounds, this is one of them.

Jesus man
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Podium is units, main floor commercial, range of small 1-2 bdrms and likely fam friendly 2-3 bdrms ^in the podium... With an amazing backyard across the street.
    What do you mean by an amazing backyard across the street while referencing 2-3 bdrm units as fam friendly? Do you even know what it takes to make a dwelling or location "fam friendly"? Usually a backyard is some place where you can let the kids play and still keep an eye on them from the house. I'm not sure the ledge grounds qualify as that. Seems like your just throwing that out there, quite the mistake.
    I just got back from London. Millions of families live in apartments and enjoy the generous public spaces, ie. parks, markets, promenades, school grounds,etc, that the city has to offer. And love it. And the kids do fine. You don't need a private backyard to raise kids.
    www.decl.org

Heck, I grew up with a private backyard (as most probably have), and I practically lived at the park by my house as a small child. People here use public spaces too. My parents took me to the ledge pool and I always loved going there.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    City Council approves sunset clause zoning for this site: http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...0c2ed36d5d4dce

The clock is ticking for developer John Day and his plans to build a slender new residential tower near the Alberta legislature.

For the second time this fall, council included a sunset clause on a new zoning permit. The extra 15 storeys council granted Monday is only good for 10 years. If he hasn’t started construction when the clock runs out, zoning rules revert to the 50-metre height limit previously in place.

“This is an important provision,” said Coun. Scott McKeen, defending the time limit and asking administration to come back with a policy that could apply similar sunset clauses to future rezoning applications throughout the downtown core.

Sunset clauses can spur development and ensure developers build what they propose, he said. “We have a number of parcels in the downtown that have been sat on forever,” McKeen said.
    Day hopes to start construction in 2016:

Day’s new tower is proposed for 99th Avenue and 107th Street, on the site of the Augustana Lutheran Church. He hopes to start construction next year and open the building 2-1/2 years later.

Despite recent increases in the vacancy rate, he’s still planning to make all 226 units rentals. “Edmonton’s still steady. The market hasn’t collapsed here. As long as it’s quality accommodation at a reasonable price, people will support it.”
    “sunset clauses” for zoning???

why? what's the difference between the zoning on an "upzoned" site and any other zoning in the city the city has approved and put in place?

what difference does it make to the city if the site is sold the day after - other than the city from that day onwards is entitled to reassess and collect more property taxes than they could the day before?

using the same philosophy this approach embodies, every undeveloped site in the city should revert to agricultural zoning if undeveloped after some arbitrary period of time. and what constitutes "a start"? vision on the corner?

this is totally and completely backwards - zoning is applicable to a site, not to who owns the site and this potential reversal of that is a potentially dangerous slippery slope.

and this doesn't even address where that puts the owners or tenants in adjacent properties - how do they make additional investments and improvements in their properties based on the long-term potential for their neighborhood when that potential becomes time limited?
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

You raise some good points. The city doesn't actively enforce timelines in development permits now. I already questioned how this would work as a developer has multiple ways to extend this time period from the experiences I've seen.

I'd rather C2E than work!

^Sorry Ken, but I'm going to have to disagree with you here. If a landowner's sole motivation to upzone their land is to flip it, then there should be a limited time to develop the property given the additional entitlements granted by Council. If you don't like the sunset clause then another way to deal with this is to have the applicant pay for the community amenities at the rezoning stage (eg. public art, streetscape improvements, etc). The applicant would post a letter of credit to the City that is returned once the building is built.

This whole thing pisses me off when they don't hold developers accountable to the permits they already issue... How about we worry about that before this sunset clause.

I'm not an expert in dealing with them but it blows my mind how easily the city ignores the clauses they put in them. What's the point of having them and leading on the community if they will pick and choose what they want to enforce and what they don't.

^Not sure what you're referring to, but we have been required to comply with the conditions we've received on our permits.

The signature condos permit stipulated that they had to have the parkade finished and landscaped within a certain time frame as a condition of their approval. They don't have it completed nor is it anywhere close to being completed anytime in the near future. The cities stance is that they don't really care to enforce it. That technically it's under construction because a holes been dug 3 years ago.

So although there is a condition of their permit in place the city doesn't care to enforce it.

From a community stand point it looks like the city added a clause to appease residents but they had no intentions of enforcing. So why place a condition on the developer if it's so easily ignored with zero repercussions or fines?

This isn't a gripe against Westrich but against the city who selectively decides to ignore portions of a permit that they set restrictions to. It seems like any developer can make it look like they are working on a site and not have to abide by any dates as its "under construction". Then a whole new set of nuisance rules applies.

So I see this sunset clause as a laughing joke as I've seen them ignore clauses and defend why they choose not to do anything about them. If your being held to a higher standard id be questioning why.
    Last edited by gwill211; 04-11-2015 at 09:42 PM.

Maybe its just in case they do flip then they have paper to fall back on.

Quote Originally Posted by gwill211 View Post
    The signature condos permit stipulated that they had to have the parkade finished and landscaped within a certain time frame as a condition of their approval. They don't have it completed nor is it anywhere close to being completed anytime in the near future. The cities stance is that they don't really care to enforce it. That technically it's under construction because a holes been dug 3 years ago.

So although there is a condition of their permit in place the city doesn't care to enforce it.

From a community stand point it looks like the city added a clause to appease residents but they had no intentions of enforcing. So why place a condition on the developer if it's so easily ignored with zero repercussions or fines?

This isn't a gripe against Westrich but against the city who selectively decides to ignore portions of a permit that they set restrictions to. It seems like any developer can make it look like they are working on a site and not have to abide by any dates as its "under construction". Then a whole new set of nuisance rules applies.

So I see this sunset clause as a laughing joke as I've seen them ignore clauses and defend why they choose not to do anything about them. If your being held to a higher standard id be questioning why.
    Westrich would have been required to post a letter of credit tied to the overall value of the landscaping on site. The City will release the funds once they demonstrate they have completed the landscaping in compliance with what was approved on their Development Permit.

The cities been great at responding to the issue but less then forthcoming in regards to how they handle a situation like this. They've not disclosed any landscaping deposit... They have said they won't be forcing Westrich to do anything and they won't be fining them or holding them to their permit as its "clear" they have started construction. The city claims they have 5 years before they need to step in regarding the permit and if they do it would be on nuisance grounds. So the time lines go from what's set forth in the permit and then have 5 years added because they don't want to force a developer to spend money they don't need to.

That's why I see this sunset clause as complete bs. Why will the city hold one developer accountable to a clause and timelines but completely ignore others because it's inconvenient for the developer??

My personal experience when dealing with permits, there timelines and the city doesn't give me much faith that they will all of a sudden hold others to a higher standard then others.

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    City Council approves sunset clause zoning for this site: http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...0c2ed36d5d4dce

The clock is ticking for developer John Day and his plans to build a slender new residential tower near the Alberta legislature.

For the second time this fall, council included a sunset clause on a new zoning permit. The extra 15 storeys council granted Monday is only good for 10 years. If he hasn’t started construction when the clock runs out, zoning rules revert to the 50-metre height limit previously in place.

“This is an important provision,” said Coun. Scott McKeen, defending the time limit and asking administration to come back with a policy that could apply similar sunset clauses to future rezoning applications throughout the downtown core.

Sunset clauses can spur development and ensure developers build what they propose, he said. “We have a number of parcels in the downtown that have been sat on forever,” McKeen said.
    Day hopes to start construction in 2016:

Day’s new tower is proposed for 99th Avenue and 107th Street, on the site of the Augustana Lutheran Church. He hopes to start construction next year and open the building 2-1/2 years later.

Despite recent increases in the vacancy rate, he’s still planning to make all 226 units rentals. “Edmonton’s still steady. The market hasn’t collapsed here. As long as it’s quality accommodation at a reasonable price, people will support it.”
    “sunset clauses” for zoning???

why? what's the difference between the zoning on an "upzoned" site and any other zoning in the city the city has approved and put in place?

what difference does it make to the city if the site is sold the day after - other than the city from that day onwards is entitled to reassess and collect more property taxes than they could the day before?

using the same philosophy this approach embodies, every undeveloped site in the city should revert to agricultural zoning if undeveloped after some arbitrary period of time. and what constitutes "a start"? vision on the corner?

this is totally and completely backwards - zoning is applicable to a site, not to who owns the site and this potential reversal of that is a potentially dangerous slippery slope.

and this doesn't even address where that puts the owners or tenants in adjacent properties - how do they make additional investments and improvements in their properties based on the long-term potential for their neighborhood when that potential becomes time limited?
    I get what you are saying Ken and agree in part for non-Direct Control sites, but we have been burned multiple times by DCs in the last few decades and now have some fairly stagnant sites.
    www.decl.org

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^Use It or Lose It!

The cities been great at responding to the issue but less then forthcoming in regards to how they handle a situation like this. They've not disclosed any landscaping deposit... They have said they won't be forcing Westrich to do anything and they won't be fining them or holding them to their permit as its "clear" they have started construction. The city claims they have 5 years before they need to step in regarding the permit and if they do it would be on nuisance grounds. So the time lines go from what's set forth in the permit and then have 5 years added because they don't want to force a developer to spend money they don't need to.

That's why I see this sunset clause as complete bs. Why will the city hold one developer accountable to a clause and timelines but completely ignore others because it's inconvenient for the developer??

My personal experience when dealing with permits, there timelines and the city doesn't give me much faith that they will all of a sudden hold others to a higher standard then others.
    Posting a letter of credit is a condition of your Development Permit and required in order to get your Building Permit.

Here is an example of how the condition reads:

10. PRIOR TO THE RELEASE OF DRAWINGS FOR BUILDING PERMIT REVIEW, the applicant or property owner shall provide a guaranteed security to ensure that landscaping is completed in accordance with the approved landscape plan, Section 55
    and to the satisfaction of the Development Officer, and is maintained for two growing seasons. It should be sent attention to the Development Officer and be accompanied by an estimate of the work to be done. The Landscape Security may be held for two full years after the landscaping has been completed. This security may take the following forms:
    a) cash to a value equal to 100% of the established landscaping costs;
    or
    b) an irrevocable letter of credit having a value equivalent to 100% of the established landscaping costs (see enclosed for
    Requirements).

Its good to know about the landscaping deposits but that's only 1 part of the issue.

The city requested the parkade to be completed and landscaped by a certain date. Its not nor is it even started. The timelines the city set out when approving the DP has long passed and the city has chosen not to enforce part of the conditions of the permit because it would be counter productive and costly to do so.

I'm extremely confused why the city bothers with conditions if they weren't going to enforce them.

From a community perspective it sheds a bad light on the city to see them willingly ignore enforcement and from a developer stand point if others get held to a higher standard that's not good either.

In your experience is it normal for DP's to have specific time lines for completion of the project and if so is it normal for the city not to enforce them?

Did they not just get a footing and foundation permit for the parkade, I believe they did. So they've complied with that.

With respect to the landscaping not being completed, its being completed right now which is in conformance with their DP conditions. The City will release funding after 2 growing seasons IF it passes inspection. So the Letter of Credit remains in trust until the fall of 2017.

In your experience is it normal for DP's to have specific time lines for completion of the project and if so is it normal for the city not to enforce them?
    A Development Permit is good for two years from the date of approval. You need to have a Building Permit issued within that period or you'll have to re-apply.

When westrich fought the appeal put forth by residents they successfully won but they had some conditions to the approval of the development. There are other conditions but the 2 main points are below:

l. This approval does not include the 'future' tower (at the northeast
    comer of the site as indicated on the submitted Site Plan). Any future
    onsite buildings shall require separate development approval;
    2. If no 'future' building is under construction within 2 years of this
    approval, the underground parkade at the northeast comer of the site
    shall be covered, capped, surfaced, and landscaped to the satisfaction
    of the Development Officer so as to be compatible ,with the rest of the
    onsite development.

These conditions were placed over 2 years ago. I know I'm not an expert when it comes to these things but i read some pretty clear guidelines required in the permit that have not been met.

Like i said previously i don't have much faith in the city when it comes to following through on their permits. I think this sunset clause for this redevelopment is one the developer can easily get around.

When westrich fought the appeal put forth by residents they successfully won but they had some conditions to the approval of the development. There are other conditions but the 2 main points are below:

l. This approval does not include the 'future' tower (at the northeast
    comer of the site as indicated on the submitted Site Plan). Any future
    onsite buildings shall require separate development approval;
    2. If no 'future' building is under construction within 2 years of this
    approval, the underground parkade at the northeast comer of the site
    shall be covered, capped, surfaced, and landscaped to the satisfaction
    of the Development Officer so as to be compatible ,with the rest of the
    onsite development.

These conditions were placed over 2 years ago. I know I'm not an expert when it comes to these things but i read some pretty clear guidelines required in the permit that have not been met.

Like i said previously i don't have much faith in the city when it comes to following through on their permits. I think this sunset clause for this redevelopment is one the developer can easily get around.
    But Westrich had a Development Permit submitted to the City for the third tower and we're going through the approval process. So in that case, the City did not enforce that condition considering they were going through the approval process. Different story if Westrich didn't have an active permit.

Anyways, we can continue this conversation in the Signature post not here.

C2E Continued Contributor

Were there any results/findings from the meeting that was held on this thing?

Which meeting?
    www.decl.org

Which meeting?
    Good question. For some reason, I thought it was this tower that you kept on telling everyone to write letters of support for and to attend a meeting. Perhaps, that was the Healy development though or something else entirely? Too much activity lately! Not necessarily a bad thing though.

Healy...
    www.decl.org

It is almost spring.

A week or so ago I saw some folks walking the site taking notes...
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Things continue to move along behind the scenes.

We need some more substantial tidbits...

moustache twirling intensifies.

Quote Originally Posted by LoebsPeugot208 View Post
    Good thing I decided to grow a playoff beard so I could do just that!

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonsKindaGuy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LoebsPeugot208 View Post
    Good thing I decided to grow a playoff beard so I could do just that!
    Better grow another beard.

Would be nice to see this one go ahead.

C2E Posting Power

^ A Rip Van Winkle beard perhaps.

C2E Posting Power

I understand the parking lot patrons have been told to find other arrangements as of December 1 and demolition is scheduled to commence at that time.

C2E SME

Yup. She's going.

Good stuff. Nice to see this site redeveloped.

C2E SME

Also nice to see that a few of these projects are now finally going to get in the ground, after bouncing back and forth for the past couple years. Between MacLaren, Augstana, West Block, Windsor Terrace, Mezzo, Encore, Signature 3, Ice District, and perhaps one or two more that's a nice shot in the arm for the construction industry. I'm not saying that all of those are going this winter, a couple are still working through things, but the light at the end of the tunnel is getting a wee bit brighter at least.

Can't wait to see this go up!

I'd like to get into that church for some snaps. Has it been gutted? Or is there archival material shots in there?

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    I'd like to get into that church for some snaps. Has it been gutted? Or is there archival material shots in there?
    Like I was saying a while back, the city is severely lacking archival shots of building interiors.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    it looks to be gutted... they did a lot of work carrying stuff out of there several months ago but no idea what's left though. i dont recall seeing pews or alters being carried out but it may have happened.

C2E SME

There's virtually nothing left inside, the interior was gutted last year.

Do we have the latest renders for this project?

C2E SME

I'm sure some minor details, materials, finishes etc have been revised, but overall the renderings from late last year are still 98% accurate. Drawings and design are still being worked on to some extent, but less so on architectural.

Just sinking in now that we could get this much residential in this neighbourhood. What a dream.

Hope we don't see a false start here.

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    From that Journal article:

Let's make Edmonton better.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Totally on board with this. Is there any timeline for this project? Do we know when the church will be demoed?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

C2E SME

Perhaps you missed this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Soderstrom View Post
    I understand the parking lot patrons have been told to find other arrangements as of December 1 and demolition is scheduled to commence at that time.

177780780-005
    04-Nov-2016
    10620 - 99 AVENUE NW
    Plan NB Blk 6 Lots 41-42

To demolish an existing religious building (Augustana Church).

B & B DEMOLITION LTD

C2E Posting Power

Fencing going up around the site today.

Any project- rental or condo- sprouting is a good sign for our city at this time. I'm really pleased to see this happenning as I was slightly worried with the lack 9f economic buoyancy in our province. Let's hope this trend does not abate.
    Last edited by ctzn-Ed; 01-12-2016 at 09:59 AM.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Soderstrom View Post
    Fencing going up around the site today.
    Indeed and very exciting as this area needs an injection of height, people and hopefully a new restaurant.
    www.decl.org

C2E Posting Power

Augustana church coming down right now.

One extra bonus of this project - if a worker gets injured, the WCB is right next door!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Looking forward to this and Symphony rise up!

Few things get me more excited than watching anything religious crumble. Replace the outdated with something new.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Like a parking lot is your idea of something new? That's what its going to be for a few years.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo
    Like a parking lot is your idea of something new? That's what its going to be for a few years.

Do tell us more.

Yeah, tell us the insider information!

This is going ahead.
    www.decl.org

Yup. Pagnotta has an aggressive schedule.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

This is going ahead.
    No doubt it will. I like the renders and for awhile, a parking lot will be good for local businesses. I'll believe it when I see hoarding and crane in the ground. Until then I'll be cautiously optimistic
    Last edited by envaneo; 12-12-2016 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    This is going ahead.
    No doubt it will. I like the renders and for awhile, a parking lot will be good for local businesses. I'll believe it when I see hoarding and crane in the ground. Until then I'll be cautiously optimistic
    There won't be a parking lot going forward, at all. Anyone that had monthly parking here had been told to relocate as of December 1st. So going forward, it will be a construction site until a tower is done in the future. Do you go downtown often? I only ask because you seem out of the loop when it comes to downtown construction.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post
    This is going ahead.
    There won't be a parking lot going forward, at all. Anyone that had monthly parking here had been told to relocate as of December 1st. So going forward, it will be a construction site until a tower is done in the future. Do you go downtown often? I only ask because you seem out of the loop when it comes to downtown construction.
    Now hold on just now....our little buddy "evaneo" is cautiously optimisitc. Let's take note of this and base any future construction at all based on his optimism.....whether "cautious" or "non-cautious." This guy cracks me up! Keep it up Evaneo, you and Ctz-ED rock!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    you and Ctz-ED rock!!!!!
    The two people on my ignore list haha.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Ok, I've seen Arlington, Station Pointe (finally looks like some activity going on) and Corners 1. So if I appear skeptical, yes.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post
    This is going ahead.
    My Commute takes me through downtown everyday but for the most part I'm on the train. When I'm at my market research job in the West end I'm down town a lot but not lately. I don't get South of Jasper Ave (above ground) since I worked at Malatest a few years ago.

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

An oasis of residential and retail in the government desert.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Very nice. It will be popular for people working in the area I'm sure.

That's how you do punched windows. Looks good.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Very nice. It will be popular for people working in the area I'm sure.
    "...235 units (mix off audio, one-bedroom and two-bedroom)."

personally, i'm going to hold out for one of those off audio units.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    An oasis of residential and retail in the government desert.
    Hopefully this and Symphony charge up some activity on the Capital Blvd Plaza. Right now that place is so dead we go toss a football around in through the fountains without a worry of injuring anybody lol. I wanna see food trucks and music. :P

It certainly would be nice to see more folks, but without more restau/coffee and residential density... more importantly let's get the lots north of Jasper sorted.
    www.decl.org

It certainly would be nice to see more folks, but without more restau/coffee and residential density... more importantly let's get the lots north of Jasper sorted.
    Ain't that the truth. I hope we get a nice strip of Whyte style buildings there.

C2E SME

We might see one or two of the office buildings in the area converted to residential as well. If even 2 of them get converted, along with Augustana and Symphony being built, that would be around 1,000 residents added to the area. Also, Augustana is 216 units now, not 235. It's bounced around a bit, but I don't think that'll change again.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Those are great renders. I like the podium balconies.

Administrator *

Today:

Augastana Tower by Chris Vazquez, on Flickr

Augusta ready to roll

www.decl.org

The north elevation of this tower looks very similar to the south face of hendrix...

taken from SRC

Kinda sorta not really. This tower will be a step up in my opinion.
    www.decl.org

Awesome to see this rolling and Mclaren.

Lots in the pipeline still - CNIB etc.

Trees removed.
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I hope they uprooted the trees to be replanted elsewhere.

^both large mature trees that could not be replanted. 1 of the 3 was not in good health if I recall and there will be 7 new trees planted in new soil cells that will grow as large or larger with a greater chance of survival.
    www.decl.org

I hope they uprooted the trees to be replanted elsewhere.
    Fun facts: the cost to move trees is ridiculous, and they almost always die.

We inquired about this in Griesbach with Canada Lands. Where possible they preserve the trees and build around them, but in scenarios where the trees are in the way, they get cut down. It's not affordable, and more importantly, they usually don't survive anyway.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

My parents have a handful of trees that were transplanted from the construction of Commonwealth Stadium.

(My dad did a good portion of the irrigation system during its construction)
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E Posting Power

As of yesterday, demolition complete but no excavation yet.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Would be nice if this moves forward like the MacLaren project seems to be.

From what I've heard it's going ahead.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

That'd be great, as long the site doesn't languish as a parking lot

It is moving forward and certainly will NOT be a parking lot. Such a great location for a new tower, tempted.
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I'm on board with this. When was the last time a tower was built in this area? The Financial building 1974?

Omega 05' or quite some time yeah.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD
    From what I've heard it's going ahead.

Nothing's changed, just things taking a bit longer than hoped as they tend to.

C2E Posting Power

I'm on board with this. When was the last time a tower was built in this area? The Financial building 1974?
    Think the Jarvis Building is newer?... Thought I had seen a photo with the Financial Building as the only one around in mid '70's.

Shoring I-beams are on site.
    www.decl.org

huzzah!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

Fantastic and looking forward to this going up!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast