Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
Results 1,201 to 1,260 of 1260

Thread: The Quarters Hotel & Residences (aka Alldritt Tower) | 280m | 80 floors | Proposed

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

So this tower will very likely happen?

C2E Long Term Contributor

That's the intent, yes.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    if anything grierson hill will be a lot more stable after they build it than it is now...
    As Stevey_G opined columns will likely need to be sunk to hit bedrock. Any idea how far down that would be?
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

C2E SME

I wonder how far the old coal mines go in this area.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...l=1#post825817

The elevation of Jasper Avenue around the area of this proposed site is ~656 metres above sea level.
    The elevation of the North Saskatchewan River directly below this site is ~ 611 metres above sea level.

(source: http://en-ca.topographic-map.com/pla...monton-155971/ )

The difference in elevations is ~55 metres.
    The pilings, over 100 of them, are planned to be 75 metres deep.
    The pilings will be going ~20 metres BELOW the elevation of the river. Any retaining walls will not be in support of the foundation, but will be to ensure that the terraces will not subside.

The foundation will be bedrock, ~75 metres below the structure.

Quote Originally Posted by K364 View Post
    You would think that this is the most unlikely place for an 80 floor skyscraper.

No way I'm taking Grierson Hill after they build it.
    if anything grierson hill will be a lot more stable after they build it than it is now...
    Yeah wasn't there a geotech analysis done that basically concluded this project would eliminate Grierson as a slide concern?
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Thanks, I should have searched the thread more closely.

Wow, imagine if that 75 meters was added to the proposed height of the building.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

then we'd have a pretty good view of not just the mountains but also Mars!

Just imagine this stunning tower dominating our skyline. Outsiders would no doubt marvel at the fortitude this city has.

From my perspective, I think Aldritt will be the final missing link of closure for the rotting decades that impaired our thoughts and confidence. Stantect and JWL was the first dosage of medicine and Aldritt is the final scheduled dosage...all three will make for such a drastic and daring statement overnight- literally. Never in my wildest dream was I expecting anything close to what we have now TBH. We have made some instant changes here...and many will go "wow" when this tower rise and plays it's part.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Has anyone heard and rumors of who the hotelier may be for this?

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    From my perspective, I think Aldritt will be the final missing link of closure for the rotting decades that impaired our thoughts and confidence. Stantect and JWL was the first dosage of medicine and Aldritt is the final scheduled dosage...all three will make for such a drastic and daring statement overnight- literally. Never in my wildest dream was I expecting anything close to what we have now TBH. We have made some instant changes here...and many will go "wow" when this tower rise and plays it's part.
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by Prairie Boy View Post
    Just imagine this stunning tower dominating our skyline. Outsiders would no doubt marvel at the fortitude this city has.
    or they'll go...."why are Edmonton's downtown skyscrapers all over the place?"

LOL, nah.

C2E Continued Contributor

Any updates?

Any updates?

First One is Always Free

When the thread is bumped, thinking there are updates, but it's just posts of "any updates" lol

Drove by a few days ago and saw the site beside the church fenced off with Alldritt signs on them.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

OMG. Could it be real?

Sales centre site.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Axb View Post
    Drove by a few days ago and saw the site beside the church fenced off with Alldritt signs on them.
    It's been fenced off for a while now, so don't get too excited

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    OMG. Could it be real?
    Answer is still "incredibly unlikely."

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    OMG. Could it be real?
    or about as likely as epcor tower was in 1999 or edmonton having the tallest building west of toronto in 2009?
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

I would think its more closer to the likely hood of the Edmontonian being built...

From everything I have heard this has fairly steady forward momentum. There are enough unique aspects to this projects that would makes me think this actually has a chance to proceed.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Axb View Post
    I'm fairly certain the fence and Alldritt signs have been there for at least a few months. Maybe you're referring to new ones that I haven't seen yet though.
    I will beat the dead horse back to life.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    OMG. Could it be real?
    or about as likely as epcor tower was in 1999 or edmonton having the tallest building west of toronto in 2009?
    exactly Ken ! Stantec wasn't going to happen either but i don't share the pessimism of some and i believe it will indeed be built !

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Maybe pre-sales will go through the roof. Then there will be no stopping it.

I have confidence Alldritt in some form will proceed. Next year should see some movement on the grounds.

C2E Posting Power

They don't lack any financial resources...so if this really is about creating a legacy project for their family, it should come down to whether or not they are willing to put in enough equity to make financing the project go based on whatever presales they get.

And maybe we'll all win the lottery !
    Emerald stagnant, Mackenzie stalled, Falcon not digging yet but pre-sales of a very expensive 80 storey tower are going to go thru the roof...
    Wow, alternate realities must be very comfortable places to live.
    As AUsenik says, if it's going to go anytime soon, it will have to be a vanity project.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I guess we’ll see.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    And maybe we'll all win the lottery !
    Emerald stagnant, Mackenzie stalled, Falcon not digging yet but pre-sales of a very expensive 80 storey tower are going to go thru the roof...
    Wow, alternate realities must be very comfortable places to live.
    As AUsenik says, if it's going to go anytime soon, it will have to be a vanity project.
    to be fair, just about all of our projects are vanity projects.

and this one is a little different (a lot different?) than mackenzie and falcon.

firstly, it's anchored by a hotel which is probably more important to start with than presales. my guess - and it's just a guess - is that the tower will be somewhere between 2 and 3 times the number of floors committed to a hotel.

secondly, this will be a much different target market than mackenzie and falcon in demographics, building amenities and neighborhood amenities.

^ the common factor with all possible projects is the economic landscape, which is not particularly conducive to launching "game-changer" projects right now...

Although it was the economic climate, not the precise nature of the projects that was my point, I'm not sure (except for scale) why it would be considered "a lot different" from Mackenzie - firstly, they are BOTH anchored by hotels...

However, I'll be very pleased (as well as surprised) if it takes off as sales go thru the roof.

C2E SME

I think it's encouraging to see projects like the Muttart lands go ahead.

Also, there's this news: https://edmontonjournal.com/life/hom...n-the-province
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

^ the common factor with all possible projects is the economic landscape, which is not particularly conducive to launching "game-changer" projects right now...
    same economic climate as when the ice district got built. by the time this building gets built, the pipeline will be laid and we'll all be surfing on waves of oil, cocaine, and $14/16oz "craft" beer down jasper ave

Quote Originally Posted by DTrobotnik View Post
    same economic climate as when the ice district got built. by the time this building gets built, the pipeline will be laid and we'll all be surfing on waves of oil, cocaine, and $14/16oz "craft" beer down jasper ave
    Maybe check your calendar - when ICE district got the go-ahead we were in relative boom times after recovering from the 2008-2009 pit.
    If you're serious (no Emoji clues), I think you've been drinking the Kool-Aid as opposed to the Craft beer. Boosterism Kool-Aid is less expensive, for sure, but can leave a bitter after-taste.

Maybe check your calendar - when ICE district got the go-ahead we were in relative boom times after recovering from the 2008-2009 pit.
    If you're serious (no Emoji clues), I think you've been drinking the Kool-Aid as opposed to the Craft beer. Boosterism Kool-Aid is less expensive, for sure, but can leave a bitter after-taste.
    Depends how you look at it. Albeit the funding was in place prior to 2015, the economy really fell through when shovels hit the dirt. I know because I lost my inspection job a couple weeks after buying my condo.

I’d argue that 2014-2015 was a worse time for Alberta than what we are experiencing now. The economy is technically in recovery and the real estate market looks to be doing better as well. That’s just my view though.

2019 has been an almost uninterrupted slide for real estate in Edmonton.

From a realtor on Reddit who posts an analysis monthly:

The first impressions of this month is that it is a return to the slide we are used to in the real estate market for 2019. Despite lower interest rates the market is tepid with inventories creeping up a little bit in terms of Months of Inventory when compared to May.
    Looks like there's 2.74 months worth of inventory in Sherwood Park, but about 8 for Central Edmonton. The only real shining spot in Edmonton's real estate market is SFH, Downtown's nemesis.

Large infographic, linked to instead of embedded as it's gigantic. There's smaller graphics in the original post linked to above, this is all of them smooshed together.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

my calendar is fine. maybe take your pills grampa.

I think you should put a "J" between the D & T in your screen name.
    Just like The Donald, you don't like anyone disagreeing with you (particularly when they're right), have very thick skin and know all the best words !

I think you should put a "J" between the D & T in your screen name.
    Just like The Donald, you don't like anyone disagreeing with you (particularly when they're right), have very thick skin and know all the best words !
    The toxicity from the Stantec thread continues to metastasize to other threads, like the cancer that it is... People pick up on behaviours exhibited elsewhere and think, consciously or subconsciously, that it is the new normal...

A moment of silence for the death of civil discourse...

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Call it the LEGO curse.

some people here are so bent they can't handle a bit of cheekiness. nowadays i mostly skim thru this site as i grow weary of its foolishness.

My photo from last weekend.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Is that church part of the Alldritt site?

No pretty sure its not

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

If that's where the Alldritt tower is supposed to go, its going to be a tall skinny tower.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

That’s just a place for their sales centre. Nothing more.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Thanks for cluing me in.

I wish they could just cheaply landscape that section and take the construction fence away if they're going to stall on this for awhile for a sales centre. What an eyesore.
    I will beat the dead horse back to life.

Hearing that we might be seeing this come back for zoning amendments...
    www.decl.org

It looks like they have a series of wells installed. The land is likely being remediated of contamination so I can't imagine they could open it up until that is complete.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

There was a lot of coal mining in that area at one time.

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Hearing that we might be seeing this come back for zoning amendments...
    Any news regarding this?

What sort of changes would require zoning amendments? Scaling back the height to something like 40 floors?

they shouldn't do the project if they are going to scale it back to a measly 40 floors!

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron_Lloyd View Post
    What sort of changes would require zoning amendments? Scaling back the height to something like 40 floors?
    one of the problems with direct control zoning is that form and detail are embedded in the zoning so anything but the smallest change would require a rezoning to implement.

interestingly enough, i'm not sure that scaling the height back would do that if it was going to be a phased development.

any changes in floor plate size or configuration, balconies, finishes could potentially trigger a need for rezoning. so could a change in ground floor treatment or parkade or loading access to/from adjacent streets or a link to louise mckinney park or to the convention centre etc.

i have no knowledge of any of the above or their likelihood, simply attempting to answer your question. and to let you know why i hate direct control zoning. they are tremendously time-consuming for administration and for council not just initially but forever...

I'd rather C2E than work!

one of the problems with direct control zoning is that form and detail are embedded in the zoning so anything but the smallest change would require a rezoning to implement.

interestingly enough, i'm not sure that scaling the height back would do that if it was going to be a phased development.

any changes in floor plate size or configuration, balconies, finishes could potentially trigger a need for rezoning. so could a change in ground floor treatment or parkade or loading access to/from adjacent streets or a link to louise mckinney park or to the convention centre etc.

i have no knowledge of any of the above or their likelihood, simply attempting to answer your question. and to let you know why i hate direct control zoning. they are tremendously time-consuming for administration and for council not just initially but forever...
    But this location is perhaps the best prime view that creates an impression of Edmonton for anyone coming to the city downtown from the South. Surely this site warrants direct control from a city and public perspective? Just "anything" won't be good enough ... and trusting the developer to do the what was promised does not always work out well. And the City (us) have a stake in the this project via a land sale ... which might not have occurred had this project been presented with a lesser development concept ... 10 story high-rise or even 20.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post

But this location is perhaps the best prime view that creates an impression of Edmonton for anyone coming to the city downtown from the South. Surely this site warrants direct control from a city and public perspective? Just "anything" won't be good enough ... and trusting the developer to do the what was promised does not always work out well. And the City (us) have a stake in the this project via a land sale ... which might not have occurred had this project been presented with a lesser development concept ... 10 story high-rise or even 20.
    and now you're making the same mistake the planners and the politicians do.

you're confusing the ability to achieve good design through zoning instead of through the development and building permit process.

to which i can only add "and how well is that working for us so far?"

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213