Thread: Bike actuated signals: Jasper & 110 st.

Default Bike actuated signals: Jasper & 110 st.

It looks like the new bike actuated signals at Jasper & 110 st. are nearly ready. I'm curious to see how they impact that intersection. It's currently a pretty dangerous intersection for cyclists, pedestrians, and motorists so I hope this helps.

I'd rather C2E than work!

I hope it works too, but I think the best solution would be to bridge the multi-use trail over the road.

Anyone know if the signals will still have to wait 5-7 minutes for the light phases at 109/111 street to sync up before it will allow you to cross?

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

I don't have any problems as a pedestrian at that corner except that the wait for the walk light is really long (or I am really unlucky). I usually end up walking to 109th and using that intersection. Coming back with my groceries, however, I wait.

How does a bike activated system work? I'm curious.

Eve

highlander

I've often just biked on 109st at rush hour. The "multi-use" path through railtown isn't wide enough for the traffic that's there anyway. It really should be separated cycling and walking paths, and a grade-separated crossing over Jasper.

C2E Long Term Contributor

For those of you wanting grade-separated, that ship already sailed many years ago when the old CP Rail bridge was demolished, and it ain't coming back. Besides, I don't know that would be incorporated into an entrance for a very busy strip mall.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

highlander

It's still easily possible. There enough of a grade change that it wouldn't need the path to rise any higher than the south embankment to get over traffic, and it could easily go over the strip mall entrance too, before coming back down.

The existing design of the strip mall driveway is horrible. It prioritizes drivers accessing the strip mall over everyone else, introduces all kinds of conflicts and doesn't make it clear where anyone is supposed to be.

I don't think a grade separated crossing is going to happen in the near term. The entrance to the strip mall is a problem though. I think making that access point right-in/right-out might improve the situation. That would eliminate left-hand turns into the shopping centre from Jasper and prevent motor traffic from entering going North bound from 110 st. The owners of the strip mall will fight any loss of access though. Even when I drive I hate that intersection and the parking lot in that shopping centre. I guess we'll have to wait and see if the bike signals improve anything.

Walked by today and noticed they were installing the new signals.

How will a bike actuated signal function in this location? In some locations in Toronto, sensors are embedded in the bicycle lane to trigger the signal instead of a cyclist having to dismount and push the pedestrian activated signal by the sidewalk. Is that how they will work here?

I rode through the intersection on my way home from work last night and the signals are operational. I still don't know how the signals are actuated. To me it looks like they are simply synced with the pedestrian signals. I'm not sure that there are actually separate sensors for cyclists. However, I have noticed in the last few months that the pedestrian signals change without pedestrians having to press the button; they are simply timed with the lights at Jasper/109 and Jasper/111. So I don't know if this is much of an improvement or not. I will have to go through the intersection a few more times to see if there is any difference in wait times to get across. It would be great to hear from others that use this intersection.

The theory that they're timed with the pedestrian lights is almost correct. My impression of most red light activators is that nothing really changes with the timing, it's just that when a pedestrian presses that button, they are assured that the pedestrian light will actually activate when their turn comes. I find this type of light frustrating because I don't see how it affects the traffic if the walk light simply comes on in its turn.

On quieter streets, they will sometimes have the red light activators that actually work like you think they would. Unless the red light has been activated too recently, the pedestrian will get a near instantaneous walk light when they push the button. In fact, I've often intercepted a thankful nod from motorists who are trying to enter from the quieter streets because it means both the car and I get to cross. Other times I've seen people get out of their cars to push the walk button.

Eve

highlander

I biked through the other day, and I don't think there is any biek actuation. I think it's just a bike -specific light to tell us that we can go. so we don't have to look for JasperAve's red or for the walk signal. That's nice, I guess, but it needs more.

I notice that they took out the pedestrian activation button. I wish the pedestrian intersection either all had the button or didn't. There are some lights where I wind up standing through a cycle because I didn't realize that that was a "button" intersection.

Eve

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I just noticed the bike signal has mysteriously disappeared from this intersection.
    Anyone know why?

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

probably because it wasn't being used enough

What a joke and waste of money. Bikers can't see red, green, yellow, or the number countdown?
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."